Time for Dyche to leave

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Time for Dyche to leave

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:10 am

We can rethink the managers position at the end of season review. Seems pointless even talking about it as the chances of us getting someone in who make the required difference is minimal.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:19 am

I don't think Dyche should just be given the season to turn out that dross repeatedly and cost the club millions. We are not running a tin pot outfit. It is a multi million pound business. He has done very well for us but that's the past. All businesses should strive to move forward and not just accept their lot. We are seeing the same tactics employed with the same issues week after week.
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Giftonsnoidea

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:22 am

Great

The obvious replacement is David Moyes or Big Fat Sam.

I'm struggling to be arsed at the moment and if BFS comes in I won't be bothering.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:24 am

Amazon Prime generation.
These 2 users liked this post: Chip Harrison brigante

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am

There needs to be something different to just lumping it up to two big men, usually via passes from centre halves who at least should be, far less able on the ball.

We continually concede possession cheaply, struggle to close down and regain. Our wingers are not providing anything like enough offensively and the full backs don’t overlap to justify the narrow positions the wingers take up.

The first thought through the squad is to look back instead of forwards, which is fine if that’s the only option but not when it’s invariably their first choice.

Playing the ball back is only a decent option if we have movement and quick passing to play it through the midfield. There were some signs last night but not enough.

Dyche needs to adapt a little - it’s no good doing the same old thing that’s not working. I’d rather go at teams and release the defensive mindset than surrender meekly against a team as poor as Newcastle.
These 2 users liked this post: Enola Gay IndigoLake

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:30 am

Agreewood post 149 is spot on to me.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 am

Realistically where are the next points coming from?
Even Southampton would beat us

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:35 am

agreenwood wrote:
The problem started with our muddled recruitment in the summer, which has left us selecting the same outfield players as last season and hoping Defour and Brady hit form as soon as they returned.
Thus gambling hugely by saving 30-40mill and this has probably relegated us.
You can't stay still in this league, especially us.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am

IanMcL wrote:Not at all. We are struggling for sure. However, we are privileged to have Premier League football at tiny Burnley, with a squad which gives all.

Anyone who has watched us in the lower leagues will understand.

We should support not cry for every man Jack to be dropped or sold.
"Tiny Burnley" Embarrassing to see a fellow Claret type that. Certainly don't seem tiny when I mention us to the older generation around the country when I meet them and they talk about the great Clarets teams of their youth.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:Won 6? games since jan. Got us knocked out of Europe and beat by burton. He’s been amazing but now he’s been found out. Game today against a side we could have got at least a point off and we got spanked. Dyche out Dyche out Dyche out.
Ok dear there is some nonsense posted on this board :roll:

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 am

I've never subscribed to the view that Dyche should be considered 'unsackable' because of his previous achievements. That's not how the world works I'm afraid. If you're not cutting it, in any role, you'll eventually be relieved of your services.

I don't think we're there yet, but a competent board of directors would already be preparing for such an outcome, in case it does come to that. I'd expect them to at least have a short list of candidates who they'd deem suitable replacements.

We'll see where we are in January, but this can't be allowed to continue for much longer. Results have to improve, quickly. It's as simple as that.
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin IndigoLake

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 am

An interesting point made during last night's commentary that Burnley have a shocking record of turning matches around having conceded a 1 or 2 goal lead. This surely must have something to do with a lack of tactical nous and player substitutions being made so late in the day that they cannot affect the game sufficiently to change the result. Or, perhaps, we simply do not have the players on the bench good enough to change a game?

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:39 am

deanothedino wrote:"Tiny Burnley" Embarrassing to see a fellow Claret type that. Certainly don't seem tiny when I mention us to the older generation around the country when I meet them and they talk about the great Clarets teams of their youth.
Wait so why is the past irrelevant when we say what Dyche has achieved and where we have come from, yet still relevant when we discuss whether we are a big or a small club? This MB confuses me some times :?:

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am

Goobs wrote:Wait so why is the past irrelevant when we say what Dyche has achieved and where we have come from, yet still relevant when we discuss whether we are a big or a small club? This MB confuses me some times :?:
We're not tiny, depends how you define the size of a club doesn't it. I don't think it's a money thing.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 am

You know your in trouble when your at a club where if BFS was to take over as manager the football style and level of excitement would actually improve.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Great

The obvious replacement is David Moyes or Big Fat Sam.

I'm struggling to be arsed at the moment and if BFS comes in I won't be bothering.
Moyes has achieved far more in his managerial career than Dyche has or is ever likely to.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:02 am

Yep, his list of honours is huge

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:03 am

jrgbfc wrote:Moyes has achieved far more in his managerial career than Dyche has or is ever likely to.
I bet Man U. fans don't think he's any better! :)

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:04 am

Paddy1882 wrote:managers earn their money during tough times. We haven’t had many of them under Sean and now is the time for him to earn his money but he has to be given chance to do that. For me even if we go down he’d get a chance to bring us back up
Sounds like ****!ng in the wind to me.

If we go down he is history

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 am

NL Claret wrote:Amazon Prime generation.
What's that got to do with nearly 12 months of shite results and performances?
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am

kentonclaret wrote:An interesting point made during last night's commentary that Burnley have a shocking record of turning matches around having conceded a 1 or 2 goal lead. This surely must have something to do with a lack of tactical nous and player substitutions being made so late in the day that they cannot affect the game sufficiently to change the result. Or, perhaps, we simply do not have the players on the bench good enough to change a game?
I think it’s more about the fact that we’ve never been particularly prolific in the premier league

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:16 am

It's been 12 months now. Its getting harder and harder to defend him and last night was simply indefensible. The tactics didn't work, he should have made changes at half time to try and get back into the game as we were still in it. Either Hendrick, Vydra or Barnes should have come on for Wood and played in the hole behind Vokes. That was just about as obvious as it gets in my opinion. We were being over run and did nothing to change it. Even at 75 minutes we had no subs warming up. That's unacceptable. He's losing credit on a weekly basis at the moment.
These 7 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Silkyskills1 Goddy buzzclarets79 Steddyman Giftonsnoidea IndigoLake

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 am

Moyes has achieved the square root of **** all since Everton.

BFS is just BFS, you either hate him or ******* loathe him. I'm in the latter camp.

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 am

Finishing 7th last season was a pirrhic victory in so many ways. The expectation of the fans now is ridiculous. There are definitely problems to be sorted, but I think some believe that we’re now punching below our weight and won’t be satisfied until we’re up there again.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 am

brigante wrote:Finishing 7th last season was a pirrhic victory in so many ways. The expectation of the fans now is ridiculous.
That's the problem. We got into Europe, something that most clubs can only ever dream about, yet some think we should be pushing on. However, fat lot of good it did Stoke, Swansea & West Brom last season when they became too big for their boots.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 424 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 am

brigante wrote:Finishing 7th last season was a pirrhic victory in so many ways. The expectation of the fans now is ridiculous.
Expecting a performance and a result at home to Newcastle is about as far from ridiculous as it's possible to be
These 5 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Murger Rumpelstiltskin Goddy IndigoLake

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:33 am

If we're mid table in the Championship next season are we allowed to question him? This view that he should be given a blank cheque and almost a job for life because of his past achievements is ridiculous.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:36 am

No, we question him at the end of the season.

I don't think there is any point changing him mid-season.

I still think he's the best man for the job and if we were going to change him I'd want the new man as much time as possible, hence the end of the season.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:37 am

brigante wrote:Finishing 7th last season was a pirrhic victory in so many ways. The expectation of the fans now is ridiculous. There are definitely problems to be sorted, but I think some believe that we’re now punching below our weight and won’t be satisfied until we’re up there again.
It has nothing to do with expectations it is to do with the here and now. The performances and tactics being constantly employed are simply unacceptable and have been for 12 months. The stats back it up. Even the media pundits are asking questions now and Danny Mills posed the question of how much patience we have as fans of watching the style of play. I think it is clear we are losing patience.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:38 am

jedi_master wrote:Dyche gets this season, and an opportunity to bring us back should we drop (which I believe we will).

He has earned that - don’t for a second think that means I’m satisfied with the joke of a team I am having to watch this season though. Absolute shambles from front to back.
Actually I don't think he has earned that much time. People seem to forget that with us he also has a relegation on his cv - another wouldn't be tolerated at most clubs. I have said on another thread and will continue to say give him until February after the window, see if the board back him with some of our supposed millions and give him time to get any new recruits bedded in. If things haven't improved by then it will be over a year of pretty dire football and dross, then it will be time to part ways.

I so want Dyche to turn it around but I fear (to use a hackneyed term) he has lost the dressing room. I can't explain any othe reason for what is going on. We HAVE good players, Defour, JBG, Brady, Lennon, Tarks, Cork, Mee and a whole host of top quality keepers, so there is something amiss that we are not privy to. But it may also be that Dyche himself is so one dimentional in his tactics that now we have been rumbled he hasn't got the ability to change things.
Give him 3 months and a decent budget for the window and see what happens, I think that is fair. As for people saying who would we get in place of him that is not a problem, there are quite a few decent guys out there, even Big Sam if we get desperate because even his football wouldn't be any worse than what we have been seeing and his record of keeping teams up is nothing short of stunning.

Dyche to stay for now without a doubt.

mickleoverclaret

Post by mickleoverclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:44 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:No, we question him at the end of the season.

I don't think there is any point changing him mid-season.

I still think he's the best man for the job and if we were going to change him I'd want the new man as much time as possible, hence the end of the season.
I don't want rid of Dyche so i'm just playing devil's advocate here but surely if you'd want the new man to have as much time as possible you'd get rid of Dyche sooner rather than later?

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:46 am

The problem is do we wait until after the window when we fail in the chase for the same player over and over and then sack him..leaving the new manager with no option but to go with the players we have or do we give a new manager the chance to bring in his own players in January? Some fans seem to think January might change things. Recent transfer windows would suggest that is more than a little fanciful. Fans blame the board, the recruitment team and to an extent maybe that is true...but Dyche is clearly limited in the players he wants. He wants the right characters which is fine and it has worked to a point but when we are limited as it is financially it hampers us further. He certainly has an aversion to any players with pace or flair for some odd reason.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:46 am

I think it wouldn't make a difference mid-season.

Once SD goes (and eventually he will) it will be a big job for his successor so a pre-season is the least we can give him.

Basically I'm not sure sacking a manager mid-season does any good (unless its painfully obvious he's hopeless ie Laws)
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:46 am

Wouldn't trust Dyche with the chequebook. Every transfer window it's the same players and the same clubs we are dealing with. Nothing changes.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:47 am

You are of course aware that he's bought the vast majority of the side that finished 7th?
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am

Top Claret wrote:Sounds like ****!ng in the wind to me.

If we go down he is history
That’s your opinion, I’d give him the chance to bring us back up. If I was a betting man I’d say the only way Sean leaves is if he walks.... can’t see the club sacking him at all to be honest.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:You are of course aware that he's bought the vast majority of the side that finished 7th?

Come on lancaster, get with it and start moaning just for the sake of it, saying the same thing over and over on every thread

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 am

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:The problem is if that if we go down, we go down with a aged squad containing plenty of journeymen who some don't seem up for the fight of fighting for survival in the Premier League, if they are not up for that, I just can't see them being up for the scrap in the Championship. If this was a squad full of potential i'd be more comfortable about our chances in the Championship but it's not and it would require a massive rebuilding effort, would we be able to move players on and would we get players in, is Dyche the right man for that?
That's what worries me if we drop this season,i can't see the current squad pushing the play-offs in the Championship let alone automatic promotion.

Look at Stoke for our likely struggles in the Championship,at least last time we went down there was the core of experience but also talent in the form of Keane and Gray.

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 am

I really do think that Europe was two seasons too early for us and I think that's showing now. Id love us to turn it around but I say that most weeks. I just can't see us panic buying in January, it's too risky, unfortunately I think the inevitable is on the cards, I really hope I'm proved wrong.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 am

Yeah, I forget that the same posters moan about absolutely everything.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:51 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Yeah, I forget that the same posters moan about absolutely everything.

This is the price that follows a good season, when they have had to do a full year without anything to moan about there is always going to be a huge outpouring from the emotional ones going through a tough spell.

mickleoverclaret

Post by mickleoverclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 am

tiger76 wrote:That's what worries me if we drop this season,i can't see the current squad pushing the play-offs in the Championship let alone automatic promotion.
I thought the same when we went down last time, to be fair. Dyche's record is so freakishly good in the Championship you'd back him to have us up there whatever squad we started the season with.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 am

The biggest problem with Dyche out is who to replace him? His 5 year contract worth 25m will be a major stumbling block as well but lets look at the future.

Why can't we attract the Istanbul manager who's team we couldn't get the ball off?
The Monaco boss who put together a great side?
The Lyon boss as we pay more wages than his club?

To have such a long period at a football club these days is rare but buying 99% of players from the level below and staying in a job takes skill.

Garlick will have to decide whether he likes to underpay or have his business half in value and revenue streams now the club is used to them?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 am

#prayforthemoaners

Being serious for a sec, its far from good this season but we are still outside the bottom 3.

That will do every season if we are being 100% honest and living in the real world.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:54 am

Crikey, if we could get Jardin the ex-Monaco boss then I'd pot Dyche right now.

But guess what? We wouldn't be able to get him.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 am

Zidane is out of work too, surely we could pay him more than the nothing he is currently earning ?

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am

Somethingfishy wrote:we are limited as it is financially it hampers us further. He certainly has an aversion to any players with pace or flair for some odd reason.
Ever considered its the financial limitation which stop us getting the pace and flare players not Dyche's prejudices?

If Cardiff & Huddersfield we able to do the deal I'd say something was wrong with us but they can't either on money close to us. Those attribute are highly sought after, (add youth too) and we'll always struggle to out muscle wealthier teams.

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:#prayforthemoaners

Being serious for a sec, its far from good this season but we are still outside the bottom 3.

That will do every season if we are being 100% honest and living in the real world.
I would say i am one of the more patient fans. Changing a manager is a serious undertaking and fraught with risks. For me to even be contemplating it says something.
Yes we are outside the bottom 3 but this is more than just about the here and now. It is about how we are playing, the performances over 12 months have been very poor with the odd exception. Tactically we are one dimensional and entertainment value is very low. Transfer market failures cannot just be down to the board and recruitment team. The manager has to take a share of the blame for those.

It is more about the direction the team is travelling in. We are slowly deteriorating and showing no signs of change with a manager who worryingly thinks it is down to luck and "fine margins".

I've not made my mind up fully whether i want to go down the road of making a change but i have certainly turned the engine on.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Which is fair enough.

I still think that SD has shown enough over his time here to be given more time though, and I've not reached the stage where I'm ready to get into the car to think about turning the engine on. :-)
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 pm

A word for those of you baying for Sean Dyche's head, let me quote the words of a prophet from Manchester, Benjamin Thomas Mee...

F*** Off !!!
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland IndigoLake