Why are there no threads on Ben?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Why are there no threads on Ben?

Post by Steddyman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:44 am

What a performance yesterday and not for the first time.

He was like a one man defence covering all ground. That goal line clearance was amazing.

It always staggers me that Ben doesn’t get the recognition he deserves but everyone always goes on about Tarks.

Tarks hasn’t always had that issue when he pivots under pressure at the back rather than clearing it. It’s wound me up for ages as he’s lost it a number of times doing it.
These 5 users liked this post: Lord Beamish k90bfc Stalbansclaret Paul Waine IanMcL

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Re: Why are there no threads on Ben?

Post by MDWat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 am

Mee was good yesterday, mainly in the first half. He certainly wasn't a one man defence though - Taylor was just as good as Mee yesterday.

Mee's been relatively poor this season, certainly weaker than Tarkowski who's been our best outfield player.

Mee deserves recognition for his performances last season and his performance yesterday but he's not had too many good games this season. If he can keep up his performance level from yesterday, I'm sure he'll rightly get praise as the season progresses.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 am

Because he once stayed out on the lash in Hammerton Street until dawn. He was singing derisory songs about our near 'neigh' bours so is automatically exempt any critisism.

:evil:

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:29 am

I don't get this praise about either of our Centre halfs yesterday they were absolute rubbish.

Yes Ben Mee made the good goal line clearance but just watch their positioning on any West Ham attack. Absolutely no where near Marko Arnautović all game.
We need to get back to marking players around the edge of the box instead of running back to the line and playing all players onside. Chelsea's 4th would not of happened if the defender (Lowton I think) had marked the man.
If Mee is the spare man with Tarky running he needs to be picking any runners up in the box, but as we know they don't speak.

Worst centre half pairing in the league this year.

City, Chelsea and West Ham should all of got 10 each against us.
This user liked this post: Rumbletonk

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:33 am

I think they're both looking more vulnerable, depending on where the opposition focus their attacks, partly because of the relative lack of cover ahead of them. I think they're both still good players and its good to see Mee getting some credit for yesterday. His commitment has been called int question - surprisingly - a few times this season and its good to have that perception balanced out a bit.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 am

There was a moment in the second half where he was alone against three. They didn’t score.
There were far to many moments when he was alone. Although to be fair we were chasing a point.

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:48 am

Quickenthetempo wrote: If Mee is the spare man with Tarky running he needs to be picking any runners up in the box, but as we know they don't speak.
This idea that they don't ever speak to each other needs to be knocked on the head..they were definitely speaking to each other during the game yesterday. Its o k if they're not bosom buddies during the week but in training and during games they need to communicate.
This user liked this post: piston broke

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Marty Dobson wrote:This idea that they don't ever speak to each other needs to be knocked on the head..they were definitely speaking to each other during the game yesterday. Its o k if they're not bosom buddies during the week but in training and during games they need to communicate.
I'm only bothered about on the pitch but I didn't see any talking yesterday off my stream and hardly any all season.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 pm

I’ve seen them celebrating their defending several times this year. I have no idea on their relationship but if they are not buddies it doesn’t stop them having a top partnership.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Why are there no threads on how bad the midfield are?

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48 pm

You could say he’s threadbare.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Ben got his recognition in the player scores-suspect he will win overall MOM this week.

Ben is an absolute warrior but prone to the odd slip. Also once he has been turned by an attacker he lacks the legs and pace of a top PL defender. Just look at some of the goals scored by the top teams against us this season. I suspect this is why, he pregers attacking the ball. Was a great partner with Tarks last season, and suspect with a Shackell at the top of his game would have been a formidable partner too

Don't quite know whats gone wrong with the back four this season. Maybe its the steadying influence of Heaton and Ward-having said that their replacements have played well.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Well there's one now.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Ben Mee was awesome yesterday. Totally in command of his own performance and doing the best he could do, with some success, in covering (some of) the shortcomings amongst other team mates. What I saw was 100% Burnley commitment - and, not just the amazing header off the line, but also many decisive tackles dispossessing the West Ham forward and removing the threat of another goal.

Charles Taylor put in a great performance - but he was shaky, at times, earlier on. He should be rightly proud of his run down the wing, rounding the defender and getting to the line before playing it back just an inch or so too high for Chris Wood to get his 2nd equalising goal.

Tarks - well we don't know at what stage his injury started "playing up." Was it there before the game started, or did he pick it up during the game?

Matt Lowton - too often he left Anderson - West Ham's £42 million signing - out wide where he scored with relative ease. Was Matt "tucking in" to cover Tarks/Mee? were we missing support from midfield? or, should Joe Hart have been organising the guys in front of him much better? I'm sure those are among the conversations Sean Dyche will be having with the squad at Barnfield this week.

UTC

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Ben Mee... no where near Marko Arnautović all game.
We need to get back to marking players around the edge of the box instead of running back to the line
This is definitely different this season. When defenders play so deep, within their own box, you will inevitably concede. The keeper’s starting position plays a part in this, but if you constantly drop off, it also naturally pushes the keeper back.

Remember the Brazil thrashing against Germany in the World Cup? Thiago Silva was out for one game. David Luiz became the anchor in defence. He dropped, the rest of the defence dropped, and they just invited Germany to attack, attack, attack... Why do you think you are always told to “get out” and “push up” as soon as the ball is cleared?

Ben Mee is the anchor of our defence. It is his responsibility. If he drops, we have problems.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 pm

We had a non existent midfield yesterday.both Defour and Westwood were poor and ineffective,this put both Mee and Tarks under a lot of pressure.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Ben Mee Committed Super Defender

Post by IanMcL » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm

claretspice wrote:I think they're both looking more vulnerable, depending on where the opposition focus their attacks, partly because of the relative lack of cover ahead of them. I think they're both still good players and its good to see Mee getting some credit for yesterday. His commitment has been called int question - surprisingly - a few times this season and its good to have that perception balanced out a bit.
There was no doubt about his commitment on Saturday. You could see the anguish after each goal.

Renamed my post!