Walking Football in Lancashire?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Walking Football in Lancashire?

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:43 pm

I'm staying up for the Liverpool and Brighton games in early Dec. and fancied playing WF at the Turf on the Friday but sessions are being cancelled because of the reason below

"All dates in December - the facility we use will be out of action due to the installation of a pop up bierkeller
Walking football will return after this period on Friday 18th of January."

I know a few on here play there and wondered if some of you were going to play somewhere else while the work is going on, now I've been playing WF for 6 years I will only play on a 3G surface and wondered where you were going to play. I'm not coming up by car so the place will have to be public transport doable.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Re: Walking Football in Lancashire?

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Stick around and you can see walking football on the Saturday at the turf.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm

There's walking football on Fridays at St Peter's Centre in Burnley, but it's not 3G, a composite typical sports centre floor

ClaretPope
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Post by ClaretPope » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 pm

It’s 1000 to 1100 at St Peter’s on Friday. Quite competitive.

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Joe Gallagher would even bobbins at this

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks both but think I’ll give it a miss, might come and watch though providing know one else comes up with a reachable 3G pitch at that time.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Just had a phone call (how he new my number I know not) anyway he sounded very tall on the phone, he asked what it was like playing at Burnley and of course I told him thinking he meant Walking Football but near the end he got a bit annoyed and said he would slam the phone down.

The phone was indeed slammed down, who it was well I couldn’t be sure but as I said he did sound very tall... Oh and he had a Southern ascent..

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Coming soon to the area... Peter Crouch.
This user liked this post: conyoviejo

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:32 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I'm staying up for the Liverpool and Brighton games in early Dec. and fancied playing WF at the Turf on the Friday but sessions are being cancelled because of the reason below

"All dates in December - the facility we use will be out of action due to the installation of a pop up bierkeller
Walking football will return after this period on Friday 18th of January."

I know a few on here play there and wondered if some of you were going to play somewhere else while the work is going on, now I've been playing WF for 6 years I will only play on a 3G surface and wondered where you were going to play. I'm not coming up by car so the place will have to be public transport doable.
The 10 to 11 session at St Peter's on Friday is not walking football. Its the older end playing 5 a side.
Genuinely competitive and some good players.
"I will only play on 3G" . You're a Claret, not a southern snowflake. Get your backside down there!

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 am

To the top for Homeclaret.
This user liked this post: Holmeclaret

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am

So does anyone actually play, not just in the Burnley area. It looks as though it could be a bit frustrating - very few flying headers, I imagine. Any opinions?

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Busy at the mo HC but will respond later if I can with the full SP for beginners, I have coached it the right way because like a lot of things there is a right and wrong way of doing things in life generally and at our age starting right is essential in my experience.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmik Holmeclaret

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Holmeclaret wrote:So does anyone actually play, not just in the Burnley area. It looks as though it could be a bit frustrating - very few flying headers, I imagine. Any opinions?
It is still a very competitive game. Minimal contact (it was originally designed to get older men back into exercise), not allowed to tackle from behind, ball not allowed over head height, heading the ball gives a free kick to the opposition, 2 minute sin-bin for 3 'running' calls, 2 dissents or if the ref thinks you were deliberately 'dirty'. The game is stopped during the o60 and above sessions when people hit the deck to check for injury. Running is hard not to do when that ball is just a foot or so in front of where you can get it. Lots of players get called for running when they knock the ball past me as it is almost a 2 mile run to get round ;)

My club, Birmingham Walking Football Club are the largest club in the world, with over 450 members and 20 different sessions each week across various age groups (plus 1 women only session), and the chairman of our club is the current England over 50 manager. Our coach/organiser used to be a youngster at Forest when Dyche was there! He was sacked by Brian Clough for turning up to training smelling of beer and cigarettes. I play 2 or 3 90 minute sessions each week and have played in a couple of international tournaments against teams from Blackpool, Wigan, Rotherham, Italy, Spain, Germany and Switzerland.

The English Walking Football Association have a rule book and are trying to organise a World Cup for 2021. They have had a number of meetings with the FA to try to get the FA to amalgamate them into their organisation but have been met with total indifference so far.
This user liked this post: Holmeclaret

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:05 pm

It sounds great, Mik. Dr. has told me to avoid high impact because I've developed a problem in my knees - but apparently no problem with walking at speed.
I can imagine it must be hard to get out of the habit of running.
This user liked this post: bfcmik

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 pm

Holmeclaret wrote:I can imagine it must be hard to get out of the habit of running.
That is the hard part, I have to say. There is always a belief that "If I just hurry a bit more, I should be able to reach that ball"!. A really good warm-up is essential but, from what I have seen, ankle, calf and thigh strains are still common. We all want to do our bit for the team and so often push ourselves just that little bit harder than our bodies are able to deliver.

Walking football (or walking rugby) gives good exercise for your core muscles and your joints. I used to walk around 10 miles a day when I was at JLR but felt stiff as a board when I played footie. The muscle groups used are hardly the same at all.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm

The trick to walking and not being blown up for running is to put your heel down first of your leading foot, it is how refs can determine a run against a walk, try running with your front foot hitting the ground heel first you would look like Crouch on Ice! We have some very strict refs and once the players realise it is called Walking Football for a reason our games end up with minimal cheating. Running is cheating.