Keep getting emails like this.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18202 times

Keep getting emails like this.

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Dear %email%

We're delighted to inform you that we have generated you a new Work Alert.

Please call 078506649 at your earliest convenience.

JOB PROVIDER

Emma
Dorchester, DT1 2TD

VIEW DETAILS

They have described their job as the following:
Hi, could I please get a quote for a dropped kerb and the front garden replaced with a driveway. Thank you

REPLY NOW

Job Description Image

As a retired Locksmith who has always lived and worked in the Settle area, why the hell would someone ask me to "drop a kerb" in bloody Dorchester...

Get various versions of this type of email...

Suppose it makes a change from
Dear friend my name is Junnnanna Gadaafi the only surviving relative of Ummar Gadaafi and I have 25.000.000,00 Dollars in my bank account and need you to... blah de blah de blah...

All these "Dropbox" "Checkatrade" emails have attachments (Unopened as probably have a Virus inside) in but no details also sometimes a 'mobile phone number' as seen above (only 9 digits? All/most phone numbers have 11 digits).

MarkGreen
Been Liked: 479 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Re: Keep getting emails like this.

Post by MarkGreen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Unsubscribe*

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 pm

MarkGreen wrote:Unsubscribe*
They are not coming from Dropbox and I was never with Checkatrade.... so its pretty obvious they are phishing/virus scams....

MarkGreen
Been Liked: 479 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by MarkGreen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Bosscat wrote:They are not coming from Dropbox and I was never with Checkatrade.... so its pretty obvious they are phishing/virus scams....
Exactly, Unsubscribe/mark as junk/delete

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Bosscat wrote:Dear %email%

JOB PROVIDER

Emma
Dorchester, DT1 2TD

VIEW DETAILS

Hi, could I please get a quote for a dropped kerb and the front garden replaced with a driveway. Thank you

REPLY NOW

Job Description Image

As a retired Locksmith who has always lived and worked in the Settle area, why the hell would someone ask me to "drop a kerb" in bloody Dorchester...

Dear friend my name is Junnnanna Gadaafi the only surviving relative of Ummar Gadaafi and I have 25.000.000,00 Dollars in my bank account and need you to... blah de blah de blah...

All these "Dropbox" "Checkatrade" emails have attachments (Unopened as probably have a Virus inside) in but no details also sometimes a 'mobile phone number' as seen above (only 9 digits? All/most phone numbers have 11 digits).
Hi Boss. These are great aren't they. I once followed one up for a laugh some years ago, I knew it was a scam but played along as they weren't actually asking me for anything. Apparently I had won the Spanish Lottery despite never having entered it and the prize was of course wealth beyond the dreams of avarice. Bypassing 'protocol' (well rules are meant to be broken, right?) I phoned them at some office in Madrid (probably someone's front room) and asked for more info. They confirmed I had indeed won the lottery. 'How', came my reply, 'I've never entered it'?
'Well sir we have the right to enter foreign nationals in a limited way and they are then elligible to win it'.
'Oh, you don't say? So what happens next'?
'We will send you another document explaining exactly how to claim'.
I decided this was fun and at least they hadn't asked for my bank account number (I expected this to follow). Surprisingly it didn't. What I got was a 'confirmation' of my win and how to claim it, AND THERE IT WAS. I found the catch, guess what it was? Anyone want to hazard a guess before I reveal all?

By the way Boss, as you said you are a retired locksmith I believe you must be the Bosscat from the LET Burnley board with vast experince of that arch troll that went by about 60 different usernames? Keano amongst others? If you are I was Houseclaret on there for years. Couldn't use that name on here when I signed as it said there was an existing user with that name but I've never come accross them. Is it you bud? If so how the hell are you?

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:42 pm

MarkGreen wrote:Exactly, Unsubscribe/mark as junk/delete
Have done all of those things Mark...

I wasn't actually asking advice just sharing the the ridiculousness of the stupid emails :lol: :lol:

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Let me guess, you had to pay an amount to release the lottery win??

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:44 pm

houseboy wrote:Hi Boss. These are great aren't they. I once followed one up for a laugh some years ago, I knew it was a scam but played along as they weren't actually asking me for anything. Apparently I had won the Spanish Lottery despite never having entered it and the prize was of course wealth beyond the dreams of avarice. Bypassing 'protocol' (well rules are meant to be broken, right?) I phoned them at some office in Madrid (probably someone's front room) and asked for more info. They confirmed I had indeed won the lottery. 'How', came my reply, 'I've never entered it'?
'Well sir we have the right to enter foreign nationals in a limited way and they are then elligible to win it'.
'Oh, you don't say? So what happens next'?
'We will send you another document explaining exactly how to claim'.
I decided this was fun and at least they hadn't asked for my bank account number (I expected this to follow). Surprisingly it didn't. What I got was a 'confirmation' of my win and how to claim it, AND THERE IT WAS. I found the catch, guess what it was? Anyone want to hazard a guess before I reveal all?

By the way Boss, as you said you are a retired locksmith I believe you must be the Bosscat from the LET Burnley board with vast experince of that arch troll that went by about 60 different usernames? Keano amongst others? If you are I was Houseclaret on there for years. Couldn't use that name on here when I signed as it said there was an existing user with that name but I've never come accross them. Is it you bud? If so how the hell are you?
Hiya Handsome/house bloody hell lol yup tis I ... guilty as charged m8... Am bloody great cheers....

I lost interest over there as I got banned for having a go at Keano/Stocky Blue calling him a LET hack stirring Sh1t... ...
IT is still allowed to put IT's garbage and rubbish .. thereby qualifying my (and others) thoughts it was actually an LET Staffer stirring the proverbial....
Rob also became a rare visitor... only really Goredaleman left now as its mainly Troll traffic...

Good to see you m8

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1168 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Bosscat wrote:Dear %email%

JOB PROVIDER

Emma
Dorchester, DT1 2TD

VIEW DETAILS

REPLY NOW

Job Description Image

Whatever you do don't click the attachment. I've had some like this and it'll just install something nasty on your device.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Bosscat wrote:Hiya Handsome/house bloody hell lol yup tis I ... guilty as charged m8... Am bloody great cheers....

I lost interest over there as I got banned for having a go at Keano/Stocky Blue calling him a LET hack stirring Sh1t... ...
IT is still allowed to put IT's garbage and rubbish .. thereby qualifying my (and others) thoughts it was actually an LET Staffer stirring the proverbial....
Rob also became a rare visitor... only really Goredaleman left now as its mainly Troll traffic...

Good to see you m8
Hi mate, great to hear from you again. I've been on here now for a year or two I think. I left for pretty much the same reason, it was becoming a miserable experience on there and the LET had no desire to do anything about it (many did believe as you said, that it was someone at the LET doing the damage, they were never in love with the Burnley board being a Blackburn paper).I loved it on there for a while but the mutli-headed troll just got out of hand, especially in his 'depressed Burnley fan' guises. I'm surprised Gordy is still on there he threatened to leave so many times (and indeed did but kept coming back) that I lost count. Is John Claret still on there, he was a bit wicked as well but at least he stuck mainly (I think) to one character.
Anyway great to speak again. Let me know if you can guess the answer to the scam. Ha ha.

This is 'handsome' signing off.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:32 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:Let me guess, you had to pay an amount to release the lottery win??
Very nearly so I'll give it to you. There was no release money but in order to ensure the cheque got to me safely I had to pay the 'insurance' for it. Can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot (£35 or so maybe) so they were obviously sending out thousands of these to get maybe 1-100 back, who knows. Anyway just to make a nuisance I called them and said it was okay if they took it out of my winnings, in fact take 10 times that amount, I don't mind.
'We're not allowed'.
'Why'?
'Because it's the law'.
'But it's my money'.
'We can't'.
'I'll leave it with you'.
Needless to say the cheque was conspicuous by it's absence and oddly never turned up.

The real odd thing about all these things is not that people do it, there will always be con artists and some of them are geniuses, it's the fact that some people are stupid enough to fall for it, as they obviously do because otherwise they wouldn't keep sending the damn things.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Please do not label people who respond to these scams as 'stupid.' When I was a journalist I was alerted to quite a few of these fraud offences and the results for those caught up in them are often quite serious. I learnt that there was little sympathy for them as many thought like you that they were stupid but some victims really believed they had won a cash prize and these were mainly the older generation who thought that they could do some good with the money in supporting their grandchildren or similar.
The scammers circulate ( for a payment ) details of those who are on a 'suckers list' and these unfortunate people get inundated with these 'wins' which are notified to them in very professional looking letters addressed personally to them.
Don't forget that one of the first victims of the 'Nigerian scam' that was very 'popular' at one time was a Cabinet Minister who I won't name but he was a leading figure in the UK Government of the day.