Bitcoin/Draons Den

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Bitcoin/Draons Den

Post by claret59 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:29 pm

I am constantly getting unsolicited full screen adverts on my computer purporting to be a genuine article in the Daily Mirror encouraging a investment in Bitcoin that has the written and 'verbal' support of the Dragon's Den team. It sounds and looks very persuasive and claims to have had startling results in money- making through 'investment' in Bitcoin. It is a scam and has been declared as such by those celebrities mentioned in the 'article' although I am surprised it has not had wider coverage/news items about its scam content. Apologies if this has been posted before.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Bitcoin/Draons Den

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 pm

The subject of the claims change too, sometimes it's Dragon's Den, the next it's that chav who won the lottery then spent it all. I think it also claims to be on Holly and Phil's show.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:33 pm

It's a scam. My dad "invested" before asking me about it. (this makes it my fault, btw)
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:It's a scam. My dad "invested" before asking me about it. (this makes it my fault, btw)
Our Dad, IT, our Dad. He'll do owt for a quick quid.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Martin Lewis, the Money Saving expert, has also been “targeted”.

There were adverts on Facebook which stated that he endorsed it

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Just out of interest, has anyone on here actually invested in Bitcoin (or similar) and, if so, have you actually made any profit or loss?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Leisure wrote:Just out of interest, has anyone on here actually invested in Bitcoin (or similar) and, if so, have you actually made any profit or loss?
When BitCoin was in it's Infancy I made around about 60 quid profit in literally 20 odd hours. I was too quick to sell and too scared it would go tits up to keep hold of it.

My friend, who posts on here, would have had hundreds of thousands in BitCoin but for a hack that happened around 7 years ago or so.

I think now, it's a tough one, because the outlay is more (as in thousands for a single coin) and it has been fluctuating like crazy lately.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Mt Fox hack? (i forget the name exactly)

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 pm

The technology is amazing and the possibilities endless. If it ever becomes user/moron (me included) friendly then it’ll change the world.
Probably won’t though

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Mt Fox hack? (i forget the name exactly)
I don't think so mate, I don't want to say the wrong thing but I know he was gutted about it at the time, I think it was a hack on the system he was using, rather than the wallets.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Dad, what's for tea, I'm very hungry?

Blockchain, son. Blockchain.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:28 pm

The mods should merge this thread with the Sterling thread since they're both topics on currency scams.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 pm

I want to renew my Sportsmania but sadly,gave a mental block on Bitcoin, so am prevented.

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 856 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Long gone hype. The second you know it’s a hype you’re too late. The market was already broken on it the second it made it mainstream.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 am

was doing OK, then was on a plane journey when the bubble burst last Xmas, so am now bag-carrying about $20k now worth cents on the dollar

Newty
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Newty » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 pm

My Grandad nearly fell for this a few months ago.

I got a text from him saying "Newty, got a very exciting investment opportunity for you! Will tell you more when I see you."
I bobbed round a few days later and he pulls up this website and tells me to take a look. I read about how this miracle new software has a special algorithm that allows it to be set off running automatically and it will buy bitcoin low and sell high and the science behind it is that good it actually predicts the future trends and buys/sells appropriately, etc. etc.
I see the Dragons Den stuff where one of the dragons was in disbelief at how amazing the software was, and how he had turned his £100 into £175 during filming that 20 minute segment, complete with convincing screenshots complete with a real embedded YouTube video of said dragon talking about the pro's of Bitcoin (notably not about this software, but my granddad struggled to understand the difference between the two).
I asked him about how he heard of it, and he said he received an email about it. I asked if he thought that was suspicious and he replied that at first he was but they talked about it on Holly and Phil's show 2 days ago and they both raved about it. I asked if he had actually watched the show, and he said no, but the website mentions it with the correct time and date that it aired, and he checked the TV guide and it matched up. Plus there's a picture of Phil and Holly looking in disbelief on the website.

I told him it was a scam and he was furious. First at me for not believing him, then slowly at himself as the realisation stepped in. It took him ages to believe me.
I find it sad that one of the most intelligent men I know can so easily be conned out of money due to his inability to understand todays world, technology and a seemingly ever growing naivety that has progressed with his old age. Its so concerning that all of the red flags that I saw he either didn't, or convinced himself otherwise.

The worst thing is he didn't get in touch with me for my advice as to whether he should do this or not, he was convinced that he should. He just waited so that I could join him in the opportunity and we could do this together. His good nature saved him the £100 that his naivety almost cost him (or worse, had his bank details got compromised in the process).

There are people out there who prey on the vulnerable, and we'll all be vulnerable one day when the times start to move too fast for us to keep up.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Newty wrote:My Grandad nearly fell for this a few months ago.

I got a text from him saying "Newty, got a very exciting investment opportunity for you! Will tell you more when I see you."
I bobbed round a few days later and he pulls up this website and tells me to take a look. I read about how this miracle new software has a special algorithm that allows it to be set off running automatically and it will buy bitcoin low and sell high and the science behind it is that good it actually predicts the future trends and buys/sells appropriately, etc. etc.
I see the Dragons Den stuff where one of the dragons was in disbelief at how amazing the software was, and how he had turned his £100 into £175 during filming that 20 minute segment, complete with convincing screenshots complete with a real embedded YouTube video of said dragon talking about the pro's of Bitcoin (notably not about this software, but my granddad struggled to understand the difference between the two).
I asked him about how he heard of it, and he said he received an email about it. I asked if he thought that was suspicious and he replied that at first he was but they talked about it on Holly and Phil's show 2 days ago and they both raved about it. I asked if he had actually watched the show, and he said no, but the website mentions it with the correct time and date that it aired, and he checked the TV guide and it matched up. Plus there's a picture of Phil and Holly looking in disbelief on the website.

I told him it was a scam and he was furious. First at me for not believing him, then slowly at himself as the realisation stepped in. It took him ages to believe me.
I find it sad that one of the most intelligent men I know can so easily be conned out of money due to his inability to understand todays world, technology and a seemingly ever growing naivety that has progressed with his old age. Its so concerning that all of the red flags that I saw he either didn't, or convinced himself otherwise.

The worst thing is he didn't get in touch with me for my advice as to whether he should do this or not, he was convinced that he should. He just waited so that I could join him in the opportunity and we could do this together. His good nature saved him the £100 that his naivety almost cost him (or worse, had his bank details got compromised in the process).

There are people out there who prey on the vulnerable, and we'll all be vulnerable one day when the times start to move too fast for us to keep up.
Its not even the old. Technology moves that quickly and scams become more realistic that any of us could fall for it.

I got an email from amazon prime saying my card details had expired recently and if i didnt refresh them my account would be cancelled.

Panicked a little as backed up all of my pictures online. And I had actually just got a new card. However when I thought about it, i had used one of my other accounts for prime. So thought I will just leave it see what happens.

Over a month later prime still works. Still getting free deliveries. And pics still hosted online. So was clearly a very good fake email - I work in technology and I had to check it multiple times and have done since and cant tell.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 pm

NRC wrote:was doing OK, then was on a plane journey when the bubble burst last Xmas, so am now bag-carrying about $20k now worth cents on the dollar
This statement makes no sense, there was no "crash" that took place in a matter of hours that would have wiped you out. I know as I was holding at the time.
Attachments
BTC.jpg
BTC.jpg (109.67 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Anyone had a go at the Initiative Q thingy?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:45 pm

It's a mystery.
Toyah Wilcox