100 years on

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

100 years on

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:32 am

With the amazing, emotional services seen all over The UK and beyond this year and today in particular and reference of The Ultimate Sacrifice by The Glorious Dead seen everywhere how do you think The World has changed for better or worse since then?

From a military point of view Armistice day should have marked peace. But only 20 years later an even bigger, more deadly war was seen as we all know. And probably all of us in this country have family members who served in one or both wars. Fortunately we haven't had another World War since, but plenty of smaller, brutal wars have and continued to happen.

But I would say 100 years on the World is in a much better place. The threat of war and conflict is always there but hopefully the reality of one on the scale of WW1 and WW2 is never a reality. Its easy to say that the worlds more volatile and dangerous than ever, but I believe much of that is down to media and social media.

The popular opinion of royalty, politics and religion are probably more divided than ever. Family and even friend values probably arent what they were even just a generation or two ago. Perhaps that coincides with the passing of people who did serve in those wars? I always feel that that generation and their children have better values and appreciate what they have a lot better than today.

Advances of technology, people generally being more aware of things mean that opportunities are better than ever. Regardless of social, religious or racial background I genuinely believe anyone can do anything today and thats probably the best advance in 100 years.

I am an optimist and I think although it can be hard to appreciate at times, today is probably the best time to be alive and there have been many more positive changes than negative in the last 100 years.
This user liked this post: bf2k