Sean Dyche now 4th longest serving manager

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Sean Dyche now 4th longest serving manager

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 am

Neal Ardley gone this morning at AFC Wimbledon.

Top four now
Jim Bentley (Morecambe)
Gareth Ainsworth (Wycombe)
Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
Sean Dyche (Burnley)

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Re: Sean Dyche now 4th longest serving manager

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:Neal Ardley gone this morning at AFC Wimbledon.

Top four now
Jim Bentley (Morecambe)
Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
Sean Dyche (Burnley)
I went to secondary school with Gareth. ALWAYS a good footballer. Such a shame he was a Rovers fan.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:25 am

ClaretTony wrote:Neal Ardley gone this morning at AFC Wimbledon.

Top four now
Jim Bentley (Morecambe)
Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
Sean Dyche (Burnley)
Got to give some credit to Morecambe for sticking by Bentley. They haven't exactly broke any pots and are usually in a survival fight but he keeps them in the league at least. I sometimes think he's got a job for life there. He is to Morecambe what Coleman is to Stanley (albeit with a little less success). Great guy to listen to in an interview as well.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:32 am

"Great guy to listen to in an interview as well" Apart from his accent :D

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18213 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:51 am

beddie wrote:"Great guy to listen to in an interview as well" Apart from his accent :D
Thats Scousist :roll:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 am

I can't see Eddie Howe leaving before SD.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I can't see Eddie Howe leaving before SD.
I can. Southampton. Watch this space.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Hard to see Howe or Dyche moving on anytime soon as cant believe either clubs would get rid of them.

Spurs or Arsenal look about the only clubs big enough to tempt Howe with the amazing job he's doing at the moment and Poch doesn't look to want to go anywhere and Arsenal seem to have found a good fir with their new Manager.

As for Dyche I cant see any Premier League clubs wanting him so for him to leave it would mean dropping down a division or getting us relegated both of which are unlikely in my opinion

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Some managers are just a right fit for Clubs, Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, Nigel Clough at Burton, John Coleman at Stanley etc ...
This user liked this post: houseboy

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:35 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I can. Southampton. Watch this space.
He was linked with them 2 years ago. I'd be very surprised to see him go there.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Crazy to think that of those 4, 2 are our most recent managers. Shows how good our board are at picking managers.

Between them and Kilby they have a fantastic record.

Stan while he joined just pre Kilby was kept on when others wouldve fired him.
Cotterill. Good manager for what we needed at the time.
Coyle. Fantastic appointment at the time and great vision to pick him over other 'established' managers that were available.
Laws. Probably our one bad appointment in the last 30 years. But even he did OK when we went down.
Howe. Proved himself before and after us as a very very good manager. And while it didnt work here, his signings were fantastic. Trippier, Mee, Austin, Ings, Stanislas, Vokes (Loan at the time) all still playing at this level now! Shackell an inspirational captain. He built a great side for us. Eddie just didnt have enough time here for it to work out. He has however shown himself to be a very good manager and its worked out well for all concerned.
Dyche - Best thing that has happened to us in modern era.
These 4 users liked this post: simonclaret Devils_Advocate Bosscat Juan Tanamera

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:37 pm

FactualFrank wrote:He was linked with them 2 years ago. I'd be very surprised to see him go there.
Them or Spurs if Pochetinno ends up at Real Madrid or Barca!

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 pm

I'd say Dyche's poor season so far will keep him with us for a little longer.
What would have looked a good signing as manager last year would now look a massive gamble.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Them or Spurs if Pochetinno ends up at Real Madrid or Barca!
Spurs is a different kettle. That would be an unstandable move.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:05 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Crazy to think that of those 4, 2 are our most recent managers. Shows how good our board are at picking managers.

Between them and Kilby they have a fantastic record.

Stan while he joined just pre Kilby was kept on when others wouldve fired him.
Cotterill. Good manager for what we needed at the time.
Coyle. Fantastic appointment at the time and great vision to pick him over other 'established' managers that were available.
Laws. Probably our one bad appointment in the last 30 years. But even he did OK when we went down.
Howe. Proved himself before and after us as a very very good manager. And while it didnt work here, his signings were fantastic. Trippier, Mee, Austin, Ings, Stanislas, Vokes (Loan at the time) all still playing at this level now! Shackell an inspirational captain. He built a great side for us. Eddie just didnt have enough time here for it to work out. He has however shown himself to be a very good manager and its worked out well for all concerned.
Dyche - Best thing that has happened to us in modern era.
How many other clubs can say that 3 out of their last 4 managers have got teams promoted to the Premier League?
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 pm

This season is a good test of Dyche's ability, as last season was for Howe.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:38 pm

beddie wrote:"Great guy to listen to in an interview as well" Apart from his accent :D
I just KNEW someone would come up with that one ha ha. He's alright though lah.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Spijed wrote:How many other clubs can say that 3 out of their last 4 managers have got teams promoted to the Premier League?
To be fair to watford despite tbe stick they get for their approach they always seem to pick decent managers.

In Dyche and Jokanovic they have 4 premier league promotions between them in the past 7 years. And in Gracia they seem to have another good boss. Mazarri, Flores, Silva were all decent appointments too.

However theyve also made some dubious decisions in both hiring and firing. So we have a better record in that respect.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Spurs or Arsenal look about the only clubs big enough to tempt Howe with the amazing job he's doing at the moment and Poch doesn't look to want to go anywhere and Arsenal seem to have found a good fir with their new Manager.
Howe doing an amazing job?

Last season we had 22 points after 12 matches.
This season Bournemouth have 20 points after 12 matches.

Funny how it's perceived that Howe is a better manager than Dyche yet is unlikely to achieve the same success that we had last season.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Spijed wrote:Howe doing an amazing job?

Last season we had 22 points after 12 matches.
This season Bournemouth have 20 points after 12 matches.

Funny how it's perceived that Howe is a better manager than Dyche yet is unlikely to achieve the same success that we had last season.
He is not being judged over 12 games though. He is being judged over his entire career there over two spells. BOTH are doing fantastic jobs. Howe plays a style which is deemed as more entertaining though if you like attacking football with flair. To me, the art of defending can be equally interesting if not exciting to watch.

I would say they are both on a par with Howe probably more likely to get a higher job right now. Like it or not Bournemouth are a much smaller club who have overachieved even us!

But both are doing an equally great job.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:He is not being judged over 12 games though. He is being judged over his entire career there over two spells. BOTH are doing fantastic jobs. Howe plays a style which is deemed as more entertaining though if you like attacking football with flair. To me, the art of defending can be equally interesting if not exciting to watch.

I would say they are both on a par with Howe probably more likely to get a higher job right now. Like it or not Bournemouth are a much smaller club who have overachieved even us!

But both are doing an equally great job.
Totally agree that Howe has done a remarkable job at Bournemouth. I was absolutely relieved when he left us, thought the football was as bad as anything I've seen, pass and move without the move, and I didn't think he could possibly have achieved what he has so well done to him. Having said that, like it or not, they might be a smaller club than us but they have far more money than us and you would expect them, given the budget, to be better than us.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Some managers are just a right fit for Clubs, Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, Nigel Clough at Burton, John Coleman at Stanley etc ...
Steve Kean at Bl*ckb*rn...
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Juan Tanamera

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Totally agree that Howe has done a remarkable job at Bournemouth. I was absolutely relieved when he left us, thought the football was as bad as anything I've seen, pass and move without the move, and I didn't think he could possibly have achieved what he has so well done to him. Having said that, like it or not, they might be a smaller club than us but they have far more money than us and you would expect them, given the budget, to be better than us.
I think this is a fair point and one I was going to make. People forget that although Bournemouth are a small club they are not as 'small' as us. They don't get the crowds because of their ground capacity but the population of Bournemouth is more than double the population of Burnley and they have got significantly more spending power than us due to their owners. I believe that if they had a bigger ground their crowds would easily exceed ours.

Still want them in the PL though - more power to the little guys.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Totally agree that Howe has done a remarkable job at Bournemouth. I was absolutely relieved when he left us, thought the football was as bad as anything I've seen, pass and move without the move, and I didn't think he could possibly have achieved what he has so well done to him. Having said that, like it or not, they might be a smaller club than us but they have far more money than us and you would expect them, given the budget, to be better than us.
They do seem to have a big budget. Is it much more than us though?

Even if it is though, it guarantees nothing. Its how you spend it. And like Dyche, Howe spends wisely. There are a ton of examples where spending guarantees nothing.

Both good managers. If Howe ever had a full season with us, and his personal circumstances not change I suspect we would have done just as well under him.

Thankfuly for all concerned we have all faired well.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:They do seem to have a big budget. Is it much more than us though?
Huge compared to ours - we couldn't even begin to spend the sort of money they've spent since the Russian took over and Howe went back.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:38 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Them or Spurs if Pochetinno ends up at Real Madrid or Barca!
Poch is Espanyol theough and through. He said he won’t ever manage Barca. He’ll be off in the summer I reckon.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:46 pm

I agree with most if what I've read, however, I think Howe (to date) has a better eye for attracting/ spotting a player. I also agree that his football with us at the time was not brilliant, had he stayed I'm sure it would have become much better and more pleasing on the eye.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:They do seem to have a big budget. Is it much more than us though?

Even if it is though, it guarantees nothing. Its how you spend it. And like Dyche, Howe spends wisely. There are a ton of examples where spending guarantees nothing.

Both good managers. If Howe ever had a full season with us, and his personal circumstances not change I suspect we would have done just as well under him.

Thankfuly for all concerned we have all faired well.
Howe had a full season in 2011/2012. We finished mid table below Watford who were managed by Dyche. The football under Howe was dull, one game that sticks in my mind was playing against 9 men at Brighton where just didn't do anything and scraped a 1-0 win. It was easy to set a team up to nullify us and then the following season we had to score at least 3 to win or draw.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 pm

NL Claret wrote:Howe had a full season in 2011/2012. We finished mid table below Watford who were managed by Dyche. The football under Howe was dull, one game that sticks in my mind was playing against 9 men at Brighton where just didn't do anything and scraped a 1-0 win. It was easy to set a team up to nullify us and then the following season we had to score at least 3 to win or draw.
Similarly all teams have to do against us now is get the first goal and theyve almost certainly win.

Both have gone on to be good, british managers.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Huge compared to ours - we couldn't even begin to spend the sort of money they've spent since the Russian took over and Howe went back.
Im not convinced but stand to be corrected.

As above though money guarantees nothing.

Fulham this season show that. And loads of examples in the championship and even below (sunderland, pompey even Bradford back in the day).

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:05 pm

NL Claret wrote:Howe had a full season in 2011/2012. We finished mid table below Watford who were managed by Dyche. The football under Howe was dull, one game that sticks in my mind was playing against 9 men at Brighton where just didn't do anything and scraped a 1-0 win. It was easy to set a team up to nullify us and then the following season we had to score at least 3 to win or draw.
In fairness the squad he inherited vs the squad dyche inherited is wildly different.

I like both and think both will continue as top level managers for some time.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:07 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Im not convinced but stand to be corrected.

As above though money guarantees nothing.

Fulham this season show that. And loads of examples in the championship and even below (sunderland, pompey even Bradford back in the day).
Money doesn't guarantee anything, but the fact remains he's had considerable more money available to him than Dyche has at Burnley.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:09 pm

It was unbelievably dull - I remember getting bombarded with abuse when I criticised that performance at Brighton, when they missed those three sitters in the last few minutes. Poyet went 4-4-0 for much of the game and we didn't have a clue how to break them down. Our goal came from a long range shot from Tripps.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Of course spending money doesn't guarantee anything, but it definitely improves a club's chances of being successful.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:23 pm

SD is really the 3rd as Ainsworth was in temporary charge when SD got the reins at the Turf and was appointed permanently in November 2012

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Money doesn't guarantee anything, but the fact remains he's had considerable more money available to him than Dyche has at Burnley.
Ok. Whats the respective budgets theyve had...?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Howe will get a better offer than Bournemouth (if he decides to leave)
SD has likely reached his high point now
Their styles of football are way different and that appears to make Howe seem like a better option for owners and, just as importantly, fans
Not saying I want SD out but just looking at it from an objective stance

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:49 pm

I can't imagine Howe getting a job at any of the so-called big six clubs in the short term because of his lack of experience in Europe. They wouldn't risk Champions league football by getting a novice.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:54 pm

So according to transfermarkt.co.uk, over the period Dyche and Howe have respsectively been in charge of Burnley and Bournemouth (12/13 to 18/19 seasons):

Burnley have outgoings of £139.47m and an income of £76.68m, leaving a net spend of £69.77m.
Bournemouth have outgoings £172.66m and an income of £45.88m, leaving a net spend of £140.86m.

I think these figures just relate to transfer fees, and I'm not sure how accurate they are. Bournemouth probably have a higher wage ceiling than us too, or at least have done in the past. In the grand scheme of things they haven't spent that much more on signings: £30m is maybe 2 first team PL players these days (if you're lucky!). They haven't made as much on players although you could argue that at present they have a younger and therefore more valuable squad. Ultimately we're probably both over achieving: they are 20th for expenditure, we are 26th over the same period.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:57 pm

HieronymousBoschHobs wrote:So according to transfermarkt.co.uk, over the period Dyche and Howe have respsectively been in charge of Burnley and Bournemouth (12/13 to 18/19 seasons):

Burnley have outgoings of £139.47m and an income of £76.68m, leaving a net spend of £69.77m.
Bournemouth have outgoings £172.66m and an income of £45.88m, leaving a net spend of £140.86m.

I think these figures just relate to transfer fees, and I'm not sure how accurate they are. Bournemouth probably have a higher wage ceiling than us too, or at least have done in the past. In the grand scheme of things they haven't spent that much more on signings: £30m is maybe 2 first team PL players these days (if you're lucky!). They haven't made as much on players although you could argue that at present they have a younger and therefore more valuable squad. Ultimately we're probably both over achieving: they are 20th for expenditure, we are 26th over the same period.
Based on that then he has had a Chris Wood and a Jeff Hendricks worth more than us. And taken them up 2 divisions (in his second spell, 3 in total).

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:59 pm

"Ok. Whats the respective budgets theyve had...?"

Two articles by Swiss Ramble around the same time may help explain.

Bournemouth - http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/ ... ournemouth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnley - http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Burnley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bournemouth's wage bill when they won the championship in 2014/15 was slightly higher than ours in the same season, when we were relegated from the Prem, their £31m vs our £29m.

They posted a loss of £39m in that promotion season, so were very much gambling on promotion. Who know's what would've happened if they hadn't gone up, but they had the cushion of their Russian backer so perhaps could take risks.

For what it's worth, I liked Howe when he was with us, and like him still. Bournemouth wasn't exactly a classic fairy tale though.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Sleeping Cat wrote:"Ok. Whats the respective budgets theyve had...?"

For what it's worth, I liked Howe when he was with us, and like him still. Bournemouth wasn't exactly a classic fairy tale though.
If you look at the bigger picture and not individual seasons in isolation it is.

Last league result before Howe took over

Last league position before Howe took over

Thats well before the Russian came in who spent a little bit more than Garlick and co.

aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Bournemouth spent heavily in getting promoted (whether or not that equated to the amount already invested in our squad when Dyche came in is debatable, we had players like Ings, Shackell, Trippier, Austin, etc at that point, the squad that Howe inherited at Bournemouth probably cost about the same in total as Austin) which has yet to be paid back

Since then though they've been making a profit without money coming in from their owner. Arguably they do have more of a safety net with a wealthy owner but we've built up a decent slush fund over the past few years so you'd expect the clubs to compete on a pretty equal footing going forward.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:06 pm

mdd2 wrote:SD is really the 3rd as Ainsworth was in temporary charge when SD got the reins at the Turf and was appointed permanently in November 2012
You keep posting this but you are incorrect. I’ve checked your info with Wycombe Wanderers who confirmed that Ainsworth was appointed permanently in September, not November.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thats well before the Russian came in who spent a little bit more than Garlick and co.
The Russian came in while Howe was at Burnley

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:The Russian came in while Howe was at Burnley
To repost what I posted in quoted post....

If you look at the bigger picture and not individual seasons in isolation it is.

Last league result before Howe took over

Last league position before Howe took over

Thats well before the Russian came in who spent a little bit more than Garlick and co.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Not sure why on earth you re-posted that. Any argument of Howe having money to spend is since he went back there in 2012 with the Russian already there.

One of the reasons he got out was because of his poor relationship with previous owner Eddie Mitchell.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You keep posting this but you are incorrect. I’ve checked your info with Wycombe Wanderers who confirmed that Ainsworth was appointed permanently in September, not November.
Nobody told the Wycombe Co-Chairman from that time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20250563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“Co-chairman Don Woodward added: "We knew he would be a front-runner for the job from the moment we placed him in caretaker charge, but his outstanding attributes really came to the fore over the last seven weeks and we feel now is the right time to seal our commitment towards him as the next manager of this proud football club.”

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Not sure why on earth you re-posted that. Any argument of Howe having money to spend is since he went back there in 2012 with the Russian already there.

One of the reasons he got out was because of his poor relationship with previous owner Eddie Mitchell.
Because I am pointing out his good work started well before the Russian came in with a few quid. He started with them having just lost to Bournemouth and in League Two relegation zone. To get them from there to where they are now is a phenomenal achievement in 10 years.

Incidentally as pointed out above he hasnt spent THAT much more than us. And after starting with a much weaker squad than Dyche did.

Ultimately, good managers are generally trusted with more money. Just because Guardiola gets £ms to spend doesnt mean he is a bad manager. It means he has demonstrated he is capable of working with and spending it. Much like Howe has.

I don't see how him having a so called big budget is used as a stick to beat him with.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Is someone still banging the "Fairytale" drum over Bournemouth?

Just wow, from someone who complains about the state of the game regularly, I wouldn't expect them to be championing that media driven fairytale angle.