Exciting, creative, attacking football...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Exciting, creative, attacking football...

Post by Mala591 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 am

Will it ever happen again at the Turf as long as we remain in the Premier League ?

Will we need to sign players in the £25-30 million 'quality range' for it to ever happen ?

Are you prepared to regularly watch predictable, dour, defensive football as long as we scrape together just enough points to avoid relegation ?

What is the realistic future of Burnley F.C. ?

All reasonable questions with no easy answers. What do you think ?
This user liked this post: houseboy

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Exciting, creative, attacking football...

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:19 am

I think you need to find a woman.
These 4 users liked this post: Dazzler Taffy on the wing moaninclaret tim_noone

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:I think you need to find a woman.

Or a man in these modern times, anything to stop the whinging will do.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 am

Mala591 wrote:Will it ever happen again at the Turf as long as we remain in the Premier League ?

Will we need to sign players in the £25-30 million 'quality range' for it to ever happen ?

Are you prepared to regularly watch predictable, dour, defensive football as long as we scrape together just enough points to avoid relegation ?

Possibly
No
No choice
Lower Premier/Championship

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Or a man in these modern times, anything to stop the whinging will do.
Or a horse if you live in Blackburn?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:34 am

No such thing as man or woman, it's gender neutral.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:37 am

Backs to the wall defending can be equally exciting. And for the rest of this season at least its whats required more often than not. Results first style second.

In summer though we have to look to evolve our style and the sort of player we sign. Its as important for dyche as much as it is us!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8534 times
Has Liked: 18271 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:47 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:I think you need to find a woman.
Or a Drum because as everyone knows .....

"If you can't get a woman bang a Drum"

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Mala591 wrote:Will it ever happen again at the Turf as long as we remain in the Premier League ?

These are actually very good and relevant questions and everyone, even if only privately, must be asking the same thing. We have had numerous discussions on here about the benefits (other than money) of being in the PL and other than pride there doesn't seem to be much. Because of the money needed to 'entertain' in this league now it seems safe to assume that we will always be playing pretty boring stuff in order to survive. From a pride point of view it's good to see your team in the top division. Financially it is also good but given that we don't seem to be getting enough money to really compete I'm not sure the money argument holds too much water.What's the point of the club having millions in the bank if the fans are putting up with dire, non-entertaining football? I personally don't give a damn about 'the world's top players' coming to the Turf, they don't play for us so I don't care. I've said before that on balance being in the PL is good but I honestly wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if we were relegated because I think we would see more excitement in the Championship (and probably win a lot more games).

biggles
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by biggles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:02 pm

eeeeeh, by 'eck. we used to see that every other week. try tellin' that t't kids today........

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm not at all sure we will, if the board get any sort of inkling that relegation may be on the horizon its my view they will hoist up the draw bridge and shuv the money back under the mattress.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1052 times
Has Liked: 553 times

Post by Fretters » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 pm

I think some people forget some of the football we played in the first half of last season when Defour and Brady were fit.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:25 pm

If the OP doesn't like the awful style of football we play he should sod off and support someone some other team like Bournemouth who play the scintillating football he obviously craves. We don't need fans like you who constantly want to be entertained

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 pm

houseboy wrote:These are actually very good and relevant questions and everyone, even if only privately, must be asking the same thing. We have had numerous discussions on here about the benefits (other than money) of being in the PL and other than pride there doesn't seem to be much. Because of the money needed to 'entertain' in this league now it seems safe to assume that we will always be playing pretty boring stuff in order to survive. From a pride point of view it's good to see your team in the top division. Financially it is also good but given that we don't seem to be getting enough money to really compete I'm not sure the money argument holds too much water.What's the point of the club having millions in the bank if the fans are putting up with dire, non-entertaining football? I personally don't give a damn about 'the world's top players' coming to the Turf, they don't play for us so I don't care. I've said before that on balance being in the PL is good but I honestly wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if we were relegated because I think we would see more excitement in the Championship (and probably win a lot more games).
By this logic....why not just go watch the local pub team?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:44 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:By this logic....why not just go watch the local pub team?
By anybody's logic (apart from yours obviously) because I am a Burnley fan and have been for many, many years. Perhaps you may care to explain to the readers of this board how you come to that 'logical' conclusion?
In the real world of logic if I was a trophy hunter intent on seeing my team win like City do then I would go and watch City or someone like them, but I am a Claret. Does that 'logically' preclude me from wanting to be entertained? Am I 'logically' bound to go elsewhere because I don't particularly care for the PL? Should I be driven from Turf Moor in disgarce because I wouldn't care too much if we went down?

The fact is, like many people on here and many more that don't post, the thought of spending years struggling in the PL and watching rubbish football does not fill me with deep joy and happiness.

Over to you Spock.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Didn't you say recently you don't attend much these days ? Apologies if I am mixing you up with someone else.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:48 pm

houseboy wrote:These are actually very good and relevant questions and everyone, even if only privately, must be asking the same thing. We have had numerous discussions on here about the benefits (other than money) of being in the PL and other than pride there doesn't seem to be much. Because of the money needed to 'entertain' in this league now it seems safe to assume that we will always be playing pretty boring stuff in order to survive. From a pride point of view it's good to see your team in the top division. Financially it is also good but given that we don't seem to be getting enough money to really compete I'm not sure the money argument holds too much water.What's the point of the club having millions in the bank if the fans are putting up with dire, non-entertaining football? I personally don't give a damn about 'the world's top players' coming to the Turf, they don't play for us so I don't care. I've said before that on balance being in the PL is good but I honestly wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if we were relegated because I think we would see more excitement in the Championship (and probably win a lot more games).
Championship would be easier for us in the short term due to the quality of players we would have initially.

You've probably forgotten that we didn't always play exciting football in the championship.

Being in the PL is better for the club in the long term, but incase you aren't aware, not every club can play the free flowing attacking football you're craving.
We can do it in spurts, but it's probably not going to be regularly.
Some clubs will do the pretty football and barely be any better off than us, so its hard to make a case for us to do it all the time.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:52 pm

houseboy wrote:
The fact is, like many people on here and many more that don't post, the thought of spending years struggling in the PL and watching rubbish football does not fill me with deep joy and happiness.

Over to you Spock.
LLAP

In regards to this paragraph, ultimately that's what a number of clubs will do in the PL, survival takes priority.

I said a while ago that Burnley fans will reach the point where the gloss of being in the PL will start to wane and fans lose interest if all we do is survive.
It was bloody hilarious seeing people on here basically demand that we throw the towel in when we started the Europa league qualifying etc, yet they'll be the same ones whining because we aren't progressing much in the league :roll:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Championship would be easier for us in the short term due to the quality of players we would have initially.

You've probably forgotten that we didn't always play exciting football in the championship.

Being in the PL is better for the club in the long term, but incase you aren't aware, not every club can play the free flowing attacking football you're craving.
We can do it in spurts, but it's probably not going to be regularly.
Some clubs will do the pretty football and barely be any better off than us, so its hard to make a case for us to do it all the time.
I know what you mean. I'm not asking for the world and would be perfectly happy for us to stay in the PL but my point was we would see more entertainment, definitely, outside of it. I know our limitations and that is never going to change but the PL is now two leagues, the top 6 and the rest and the money now being spent by some clubs at the top is frankly making it a bit of a joke really. All we have now is a competition to see who can buy the most trophies whilst buying players not needed just to stop other clubs having them.
A result of this is looking at one of the City forums and seeing a bunch of fans (who used to be a real down to earth lot) arguing because they 'only' won 1-0 or 2-0 instead of battering them into the ground. The inbalance is actually quite staggering now.
I don't really care where we play (PL or otherwise) as I'll never leave, but it's just a bit tedious in the PL most of the time.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 pm

It's tedious for fans at several clubs, it's been like that for years now.
That's why getting into the Europa league and seeing fans on here complain about it was just bizarre.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:04 pm

We have played some exciting stuff under Dyche... what makes you think it will never happen again?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:08 pm

I actually really enjoyed watching the way we defended last season, especially when we frustrated a lot of teams and then went on to get a win. Sometimes I equate people who want football to be played in a fast attacking style as the type of people who only want to listen to really fast 1000 notes per second guitar solos where sometimes the more interesting ones have fewer notes. Not that there’s anything wrong with either, it’s just that there’s more than one style of football/guitar solo.
These 3 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Spijed cricketfieldclarets

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm

It's difficult to play fluid, passing football when you're frightened to death. This season on too many occasions we have looked like rabbits in headlights.
Success breeds confidence and confidence breeds success. We need Hendrick and Defour in the middle and Brady and JBG out wide. Barnes up front, and Gibson and Tarks at the back. They are our best players at holding the ball and picking a pass, and moving the ball quickly. The gaps can be filled by the squad, but those 7 players are key. IMO.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:33 pm

BFCmaj wrote:I actually really enjoyed watching the way we defended last season, especially when we frustrated a lot of teams and then went on to get a win. Sometimes I equate people who want football to be played in a fast attacking style as the type of people who only want to listen to really fast 1000 notes per second guitar solos where sometimes the more interesting ones have fewer notes. Not that there’s anything wrong with either, it’s just that there’s more than one style of football/guitar solo.
Italian football has been built on Catenaccio for decades. Has served them very well!
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Spijed wrote:Italian football has been built on Catenaccio for decades. Has served them very well!
Whereas fast guitar solos often employ legato. :D

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8534 times
Has Liked: 18271 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:59 pm

BFCmaj wrote:Whereas fast guitar solos often employ legato. :D
At times we have been playing "Allegro" this season...

Like the "wonderful :roll: " car made by Austin/British Leyland not the musical notation meaning Quickly :lol:
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:03 pm

To be creative we just need a few specific player profiles. Sadly, we just don’t seem that way inclined. I’m not someone who values style over results, but I believe it’s perfectly feasible to have both a solid defence and the ability to create chances in possession.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Outside of the top sides no reason we cant play expansive football to be honest.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:43 pm

You'd probably find similar threads to this on 10/12 PL messageboards at any one time. The nature of the competition is that aside from the top 6 plus Everton anyone in this division could be relegated sooner or later.

As someone who has witnessed us descend through the divisions I'm quite happy to see us where we are and will put up with the fact that at the moment it's challenging to watch/enjoy - less than 12 months ago it was very different. The PL is unforgiving you have to make the most of the good times on the odd occasion they come along.

Personally I don't see playing in the Championship as being an entertaining alternative. If we went down we would lose key personnel and I doubt we'd threaten an immediate return. Some in similar situations like Villa have hovered between mid-table and the play-offs, others like Hull have not fared so well. Middlesbrough seem to making a better job of getting near the top end but guess what - lots of their fans don't like the style of play employed to achieve that.

Where we are right now is the reality of the modern game and if we want to enjoy the financial benefits that go with it we have to get with the programme, so to speak. If there's a downside to last season it's that a number of supporters, perhaps those with less miles on the clock, seem to think we've established a level and going forward that should be the minimum requirement - which sadly seems to be the over-simplified expectation of the quick-fix financially bloated Sky TV era.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets GodIsADeeJay81 lucs86

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:46 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:You'd probably find similar threads to this on 10/12 PL messageboards at any one time. The nature of the competition is that aside from the top 6 plus Everton anyone in this division could be relegated sooner or later.

As someone who has witnessed us descend through the divisions I'm quite happy to see us where we are and will put up with the fact that at the moment it's challenging to watch/enjoy - less than 12 months ago it was very different. The PL is unforgiving you have to make the most of the good times on the odd occasion they come along.

Personally I don't see playing in the Championship as being an entertaining alternative. If we went down we would lose key personnel and I doubt we'd threaten an immediate return. Some in similar situations like Villa have hovered between mid-table and the play-offs, others like Hull have not fared so well. Middlesbrough seem to making a better job of getting near the top end but guess what - lots of their fans don't like the style of play employed to achieve that.

Where we are right now is the reality of the modern game and if we want to enjoy the financial benefits that go with it we have to get with the programme, so to speak. If there's a downside to last season it's that a number of supporters, perhaps those with less miles on the clock, seem to think we've established a level and going forward that should be the minimum requirement - which sadly seems to be the over-simplified expectation of the quick-fix financially bloated Sky TV era.
Well said. Its not a new pheonomenon either.

Its always been a handful of sides that play entertaining football.

In the 90s it was only really united, arsenal, newcastle and liverpool and only 2 of them were succesful.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:20 pm

I think Mourinho amongst others is proving that negative, park the bus football has had its day. Yes we got away with it last year, but I think we should take it for what it was, a one off. This type of hoofball football in the top league has had its day, yes we may pick up a point here and there, but we are not relying on how well we play instead we are hoping that the forward line of our opposition have an off day, just like what happened with Leicester on Saturday.

Team togetherness and spirit will only get you so far and will only last for so long, because football players funnily enough like to play football, not head tennis, not hoofball or giving the opposition 80% possession of the football. I think we are seeing this season that none of the players are enjoying Dycheball.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 pm

If it was so simple then more clubs would be playing expansive football. Bournemouth do but until this season they have flirted with relegation most seasons due to their cavalier approach. This season they seem to have found a blend. Perhaps Watford are similar, and again they have never shown consistency.

A lot of people thought this season would be a stroll for Fulham with their attacking talent and possession based game but they have been punished.

For the first 4/5 months of last season I thought we mixed it up very well and played some great football at times. We then had injuries to key players and adopted a more pragmatic game that played to our strengths. This season, with our poor start we seem to have resorted to the same but with seemingly less of a coherent game plan. At times in the last couple of games we have looked to get the ball down in the oppositions half and tried to play so it’s unfair that some fans have the perception of us purely as a ‘hoofballing’ side.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Rileybobs wrote:If it was so simple then more clubs would be playing expansive football. Bournemouth do but until this season they have flirted with relegation most seasons due to their cavalier approach. This season they seem to have found a blend.
After surviving their first season theyve come 9th and 12th and look nailed on to be top 10 this year which sounds pretty solid to me

Whilst noone expected Burnley to replicate 7th place playing good football and coming between 8th and 14th regularly with a the odd cup run is what we should be aiming for and Bournemouth have shown how possible this is
This user liked this post: Bosscat

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pm

They’re are teams in this division that we are more than capable of taking the game too, we just choose not to and that is ever so slightly disappointing as a paying spectator.

Sean Dyche often says “ deliver a performance”and we’ve failed in that respect against all of Fulham Cardiff and Huddersfield and I still feel we haven’t actually clicked all season but have mustered 9 points

The Bournemouth game was odd because we were brutally clinical but spent large parts camped in our half. But I would call that a delivering a performance.

The most disappointed I’ve beem this season was the Man United game because we simply didn’t lay a glove on them it was unacceptable. We didn’t chase rush or tackle all afternoon. We just belted it forward and then stood like training manaquins in our own half whilst they knocked it about around us.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:After surviving their first season theyve come 9th and 12th and look nailed on to be top 10 this year which sounds pretty solid to me

Whilst noone expected Burnley to replicate 7th place playing good football and coming between 8th and 14th regularly with a the odd cup run is what we should be aiming for and Bournemouth have shown how possible this is
My memory may well be deserting me but I’m sure Bournemouth looked in trouble last season before turning it round with a good run of results. Like I say I could be wrong. Those finishes are of course more than respectable.

In many ways Bournemouth’s style has been far too ‘cavalier’ for my liking though. They have taken a lot of big beatings and I wouldn’t have swapped for their style or results last season. This season they seem to have tightened up and look like a very good side when in possession, particularly on the counter. I’d take a good few of their forwards on current form but wouldn’t have been too interested in many at this point last season.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm

They had a horrendous start but their class came though and they finished a comfortable 12th. With an average start they may have ran us close.

I dont expect us to play like Bournemouth but I believe we could have been braver and better in the last two transfer windows and be playing a lot better football like the first half of last season and be comfortable in the middle mini league rather than scrapping down the bottom