article on Burnley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
slw
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 79 times

article on Burnley

Post by slw » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Just seen this artcile on Burnley, Its all about luck apparently. :?
The next time we play ill toss a coin, heads we win , tails we lose.

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/sport- ... rve/352791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by slw on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: article on Burnley

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 pm

You could argue that article is written on the back of reading the posts of our frequent posters on here after a defeat. You know the ones who log in at 4.52pm on a Saturday.

The ones who will tell you we lost - we are **** or we drew or won we were lucky.
This user liked this post: Spijed

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Worth mentioning btw that the Monday night club on Radio Five were shocked at how bad we were on Saturday.

They mentioned that they thought we'd be alright, but having watched us play are no longer so sure.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Worth mentioning btw that the Monday night club on Radio Five were shocked at how bad we were on Saturday.

They mentioned that they thought we'd be alright, but having watched us play are no longer so sure.
Was Chris Sutton on the Monday night club by any chance?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Yeah, but it was unanimous.

I'm a positive happy clapper on here, but some of our performances are well below the standard required to survive in the prem.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes Sutton was on, but he wasn't vindictive towards us - the biggest critic was Ian Wright.

I got the overall impression that they thought we would be OK, though our form had been poor for a while.

[ - we were discussed at 8.15 pm]

slw
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by slw » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Worth mentioning btw that the Monday night club on Radio Five were shocked at how bad we were on Saturday.

Didn't they also debate that 29 or 30 points could be enough to survive this season. Possible but unlikely.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:53 pm

In my opinion our lack of form is down to missing key players. We virtually had a full squad to choose from in the early part of last season and Defour in particular was exceptional, Brady and JBG were also at the top of their games and the defence picked itself and Wood hit the ground running. Since Brady and Defour got injured we seemed to see a drop and with Burnley all players have to play at their maximum. I think if we can get close to the full squad we will see a big upturn in results.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Poor article. We are poor compared to last season but it's nothing to do with luck. A team shouldn't concede a set amount of goals per shots against. We invite shots that are difficult to score from (well we did).
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm

And yet that was one of our better performances this season :?

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:11 pm

I’d agree with that. We concede far too many chances too often. Luck has certainly played a part there is no question.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm

slw wrote:Just seen this artcile on Burnley, Its all about luck apparently. :?
The next time we play ill toss a coin, heads we win , tails we lose.

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/sport- ... rve/352791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't believe the writer is shouting about how clever he is because he predicted that the teams that win every game in a given month, will do less well than next month.

Here's a tip from me - never back on the league leaders to go up a place. They never do.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:48 pm

I thought in the second half we were as good defensively as we were last season.
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Interesting article. https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/b ... umpy-start" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conceding shots wasn't the issue previously, it was the quality of shots we allowed at us.

Interesting point at the end on the Stoke glass ceiling of direct football.
"Burnley’s modus operandi last season was netting the opener and protecting the lead, something that a strong and structured defensive team can do fairly comfortably."

A world of warning to those of us who want us to be a mini-Man City, attacking free flowing 'entertaining' football and demand glamour signings.

Stoke City has paid the price for moving too far away from the traits that were the cornerstone of their success.
The defender was one of the key players who helped establish Stoke back in the top flight after a 23-year exile in the lower leagues.

Stoke were relegated because they suffered an identity crisis and bought the wrong type of characters

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... nt-1540566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:01 pm

The article in the OP can be summed up in 1 word: normalisation.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:56 pm

We deserve to be slated, our performances have been well below survival standard at times. Even when we have won it has looked ugly.

We have a big job on to stay up this season!.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:12 pm

It was Don Hutchison on radio 5Live last night who watched us at Leicester and sounded genuinely surprised at how poor we were. Depressing and probably true but with our skilled midfielders back we should improve now.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Oh, I'm sure we can improve but we have to stay up.

Having our best players back should make a difference, but too many players are not in the form that we need them to be.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Oh, I'm sure we can improve but we have to stay up.

Having our best players back should make a difference, but too many players are not in the form that we need them to be.
One day I am in the stay up camp the next day we will be relgated. Been shocking at times this season and feel there are several issues which need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

1) Hart/ Heaton - Has there been a fall out and has it affected morale. Can see why Heaton would be peeved but Hart is/was a world class keeper. Do feel though that Hart hasnt yet built up a bond with the defence as regards positioning and how we close down angles making shots no danger for the keeper.

2) Cork - Massive drop in form this year is causing issues with back 4 not being afforded the same cover as last year.

3) Strikers - settle on a front 1 or 2 and stick with them. Our success has always been built on the team not being rotated. At the moment we arent mentally strong enough to be swapping every game. Maybe easier to do when winning but when losing players who are dropped after 1 game lose their edge and mentally it affects them.

4) Tarkowski - Why has he been allowed for up to a month to carry on playing with a niggle when other players get nowhere the side if they had a niggle. Players like Long are waiting patiently for their chance and if 100% fit should be playing.

5) Back 4/6 - What has happened to our famed back 6 with wingers dropping back and full backs tucking in. So many times this season Lowton or Taylor have had to pull out wide to defend a winger coming at them meaning our centre halves are stretched.

6) The biggest one is regardless where we are we need to try to make signings for the Premiership. At no point should SD and the board be thinking "well we may be rrlgated so have we enough to challenge for the Championship next season" rather than signing players for the Premiership and that would vastly improve us.

Today I think we will stay up, tomorrow.....who knows

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Yeah, but it was unanimous.

I'm a positive happy clapper on here, but some of our performances are well below the standard required to survive in the prem.
Not this season. There are some poor sides around.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:54 pm

piston broke wrote:Not this season. There are some poor sides around.
At present though we are one of them poor sides. Head scratcher really when we know how well we played at ti.es last season with virtually the same squad of players

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Hardly an insightful piece of journalism. Last season we maximised our opportunities. The teams most likely to be the 'best of the rest' Everton and Leicester were both in transition. Three well established PL teams, Swansea, Stoke and West Brom all pressed the self-destruct button in various ways.

Post Christmas we lost Defour and Brady - no team outside the top six could lose their two most technically gifted players and not feel the impact.

Our recruitment in the summer effectively amounted to consolidation, Hart for the injured Heaton and Pope, Gibson belatedly for Keane, Vydra for Wells/Walters. In PL terms standing still is going backwards. We've been overtaken by teams who have both stabilised and invested more heavily.

Brady and Defour are back but nowhere near last seasons levels yet. Other players have variously not hit those heights either. The second half of Saturday's game was getting back nearer to where we need to be. If we continue to progress along those lines and get our best players fit and performing then there are definitely three worse teams - but to say we won't repeat what we did last year is not exactly visionary.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 pm

FactualFrank wrote:The article in the OP can be summed up in 1 word: normalisation.
This, I'm sure the Leicester fans aren't trying to analyse why they haven't won the league again. We peaked last season at least in the short/medium term.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Our possession stats are terrible, our passing stats are terrible. The 2 combined have us where we are.
We used to be able to play, or at least control the game, even when we didn't have the ball, but this season we have been awful. The problem is we give the ball away in the wrong areas of the pitch, in trying to play football.
IMO we need to mix it better. Go back to the long ball 2 up top, but we have to have a midfield that can control the ball as well, which means no place for Cork or Westwood. I like them both, and in certain situations they will be invaluable, but if we are to progress as a Prem side we have to play better than so far this season. I can't see that happening with either of them a regular starter.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:21 pm

As our two best ball players have just come back from long term injuries and as our fall from pre-New Year levels started with their injuries I fully expect us to improve all the silly stats soon.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm

piston broke wrote:As our two best ball players have just come back from long term injuries and as our fall from pre-New Year levels started with their injuries I fully expect us to improve all the silly stats soon.
I expect so too, but it won't be enough on its own. In the Prem you don't have time to dwell on the ball, we do. Firstly because we have players who struggle to control a ball with one touch, and secondly because there are very few outs for them when they do control the ball. To many static players, and we nearly always pass to the man. The top teams pass into space, and the man it's intended for reads it. It's a string to our bow we rarely use because the abilities of some of our players to see the pass, or read it is awful. It's what we should be working on on the training pitch, but match after match it's the same dross.
I don't doubt any of our players attitude or commitment, but effort alone isn't going to save us. We need skill.
This user liked this post: piston broke

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:40 pm

We need to improve possession and passing accuracy a whole lot.
Something else I keep seeing is our inability to clear the box at the first attempt, the ball is loose in our penalty area very often. this is in part down to to different goalkeeping techniques, but we seem to panic now.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Now that our key players are starting to improve each game i think we will play much better as a team, that bit of class and imagination will hopefully return, we have certainly missed our star players, you only need one or two key players out with injury and this can have big negatives throughout the season, i know one player dosnt make a team, but look at Palace without Zaha, they didn't win many games without him in the team.