Referee suspended for 'rock, paper, scissors'

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Referee suspended for 'rock, paper, scissors'

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 am

Referee forgot coin, so they played rock, paper, scissors instead! :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46202509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6589 times

Re: Referee suspended for 'rock, paper, scissors'

Post by bobinho » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 am

RPS seems wholly appropriate for what is effectively a sideshow.

“Moment of madness” translates to “referee thinks on his feet to get the game away on time”

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 am

In fairness, I’m sure if he shouted across to the touch line someone would have had a coin. I’ve played countless games of cricket were the skipper has forgotten to take a coin out and never seen anyone resort to rock, paper, scissors.

I would imagine he’s been banned though because it sends a poor message about how seriously he was taking the game.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am

He could have just picked a blade of grass and asked them to pick a hand, that would have been better!!!

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 am

Foulthrow wrote: I would imagine he’s been banned though because it sends a poor message about how seriously he was taking the game.
Indeed.

If this had happened in a Championship or League 1 game the coverage would have been completely different; with pundits and fans laughing at it, skits on TV; lots of daft suggestions as to how we can start a game. It would have been fun.

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to learn not to take yourself too seriously.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am

Rock Paper Scissors provides random outcome. No one has lost out. Yet they still suspend him?

I'd resign

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am

I'm told that refs on Remembrance Day weekend all used a commemorative medal. If so, that's not a coin, so are they all in breach of the rules? Will they all be suspended for 3 weeks?

They should have told him to be a bit more discreet and not to be a muppet in future. End of story. As claptrappers said, all the toss is for is to provide a random outcome to a trivial decision - who really cares how it's done?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:22 am

Should have been more discreet and done ip dip dog ****.
These 2 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die boatshed bill

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 am

Guich wrote:Indeed.

If this had happened in a Championship or League 1 game the coverage would have been completely different; with pundits and fans laughing at it, skits on TV; lots of daft suggestions as to how we can start a game. It would have been fun.

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to learn not to take yourself too seriously.
The problems is the FA (seemingly in tandem with the Beeb) are desperately trying to promote women's football and carve out some kind of interest. It clearly isn't working despite their best efforts. Incidents like this will re-inforce the message amongst people who think women's football is a joke.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Foulthrow wrote:In fairness, I’m sure if he shouted across to the touch line someone would have had a coin. I’ve played countless games of cricket were the skipper has forgotten to take a coin out and never seen anyone resort to rock, paper, scissors.

I would imagine he’s been banned though because it sends a poor message about how seriously he was taking the game.
He could've asked someone in the crowd to throw him a coin.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:He could've asked someone in the crowd to throw him a coin.
Really?

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Or at least one of his assistants should have been carrying a coin too.
Coins can fall out if pockets. I always make sure as a team we have a spare coin

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Foulthrow wrote:The problems is the FA (seemingly in tandem with the Beeb) are desperately trying to promote women's football and carve out some kind of interest. It clearly isn't working despite their best efforts. Incidents like this will re-inforce the message amongst people who think women's football is a joke.
If the FA think the issue of how a coin is tossed is worth 3 weeks' ban, then it will certanly reinforce the message that the game is a joke. How often do Burnley kick towards the Bee Hole end first? Virtually always. Why? Because the away side, when they win the toss, don't care. The toss is a virtual irrelevance. Look at cricket - they send a camera out to watch the toss, because it matters. Sky TV have thirty cameras (guess!) at the match and the toss goes on during the adverts.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:17 pm

What a tosser!! Or perhaps not..

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:20 pm

dsr wrote:If the FA think the issue of how a coin is tossed is worth 3 weeks' ban, then it will certanly reinforce the message that the game is a joke. How often do Burnley kick towards the Bee Hole end first? Virtually always. Why? Because the away side, when they win the toss, don't care. The toss is a virtual irrelevance. Look at cricket - they send a camera out to watch the toss, because it matters. Sky TV have thirty cameras (guess!) at the match and the toss goes on during the adverts.
We always shoot to beehole second :D

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:We always shoot to beehole second :D
Well, I was close. :shock:

Point still stands, though - we always know who won the toss because the team that lot the toss, kicks off in the first half. (Or is it the second half? ;) ). And yet, who knows how many times Burnley have won the toss this season - if at all?

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:44 pm

The ref made a mistake which had no influence on the result of the game at all. Quite a number of referees use a disc with different colours on each side which, technically, is also wrong.
The joke is that a player gets banned for 3 matches for violent conduct, however, the FA have banned this referee for 3 weeks, which could easily amount to 6 matches, for forgetting his coin.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1963 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Good job we’ve got loads of spare refs around.
These 3 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Goodclaret dpinsussex

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Good job we’ve got loads of spare refs around.
Don't worry Ashington is available to pick up the spare games :)

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:39 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Don't worry Ashington is available to pick up the spare games :)
LOL ---not with my knees these days ---they haven't started recalling 71 year olds just yet, although the situation up here in the north east is very bad with lots of local leagues resorting to requests on social media because they do not have a referee.
I hope that things are better in your area!

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 pm

The key point made is in Ashington's post. In football and cricket there is a shortage of officials. Steps need to be made be encourage more to take it up rather than banning them for three weeks.

There is a young ref in the Gtr Manchester area who tried to start a referee's strike. He regularly abandones games and reports numerous players and managers who end up getting fined due to his incompetence yet a ref who doesn't follow protocol that doesn't really affect the outcome gets a 3 week ban. At a local level I've never understood the FA, then again nor at a national level. Will be interesting to see the ban Sturridge gets in comparison to Barton's.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Sturridge should be OK because he hasn't said anything derogatory about the FA, unlike Joey who spoke his mind about them prior to his betting misdemeanour.

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:LOL ---not with my knees these days ---they haven't started recalling 71 year olds just yet, although the situation up here in the north east is very bad with lots of local leagues resorting to requests on social media because they do not have a referee.
I know of a referee at 71 years young, fresh back from a heart op and refereeing Hellenic div2 games and running the line on div 1.

No excuse young man. Get those boots back on :) you know you want to :)
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:LOL ---not with my knees these days ---they haven't started recalling 71 year olds just yet, although the situation up here in the north east is very bad with lots of local leagues resorting to requests on social media because they do not have a referee.
Have you never heard of harry warburton?

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:12 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Have you never heard of harry warburton?
Yes, however, when I was refereeing I always enjoyed the fact that it was no effort to keep up with play. Sadly, because I also played over 1000 games at a decent level as well as refereeing and playing other sport I am happy just to be able to walk every day and enjoy not getting abused by players who thought that they were good! :)

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Yes, however, when I was refereeing I always enjoyed the fact that it was no effort to keep up with play. Sadly, because I also played over 1000 games at a decent level as well as refereeing and playing other sport I am happy just to be able to walk every day and enjoy not getting abused by players who thought that they were good! :)
Got booked many times off Harry. He was a top ref and character. He took no **** and you gave him none.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... l_referee/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 pm

It is in The Laws to use a coin:

Kick off
PROCEDURE
•the team that wins the toss of a coin decides which goal it will attack in the first half

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... rt-of-play" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So by the letter of the Law he was wrong.

However in his circumstances he used his initiative and got the game going without any problems.

He should have been warned and no more. It is surely less of an error then wrongly sending someone off.

Unless there were other factors, this makes the FA look idiots and surely annoys referees. There are far more important issues then this.

I wonder where the complaint came from.

I only refereed park football and I had a spare coin, spare whistle and spare watch which I carried about. Because I was a tight sod my coin was an old pre decimal penny painted yellow and red.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 dpinsussex

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:34 pm

In the toss of a coin, one player calls. That's it. Outcome decided.
In rock, paper, scissors, or 'Janken' if you grew up with Alex Kidd on the Master System, you could potentially play indefinitely.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 am

Referees at some grassroots football matches plan to use 'rock, paper, scissors' in support of banned official. They are angry at the decision to ban David McNamara after he used the same method in place of a coin toss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46 ... pIqgJpoZkg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: dsr wilks_bfc

BFC123
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BFC123 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Dermot Gallagher said he once did the exact same thing in a Champions League game. He told Ronaldinho that they changed the rules and they would do rock, paper, scissors instead of tossing a coin. Nothing happened with Gallagher.

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:48 pm

It's scissors, paper, stone, where I come from.

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Lizard, spock?