Championship clubs rebel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Championship clubs rebel

Post by piston broke » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:28 am

Times reporting a majority of the Championships 24 clubs have written to the EFL threatening to form a breakaway league if the board signs a £590m tv deal with Sky, that would run 2019-2024.

PL2 is coming. Not sure what their thinking is? Can they get a better deal? Will they stick with a 24 team league? The most exciting league currently, IMO, but that doesn't last.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: Championship clubs rebel

Post by Blackrod » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:33 am

I think greed will ultimately ruin the great league system as we know it.
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin Wile E Coyote

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:21 am

It already has.
These 4 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 houseboy Buxtonclaret SussexDon1inIreland

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 pm

People say its the most exciting league. And in terms of competitiveness it probably is. But how many really tune in to watch it?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Bluffing.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:People say its the most exciting league. And in terms of competitiveness it probably is. But how many really tune in to watch it?
Isn't that why ITV Digital collapsed?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:44 pm

If it was up to me, rather than breaking away, I'd prefer to see more integrating, with the Bottom 10 in Premier League being replaced with the top 10 of the Championship every season.

Obviously, it'll give Football League clubs a better opportunity to play at the highest level while for the Premier League club, dropping down a division isn't financially crippling as there is a much better chance of winning promotion back the season after.

Teams promoted from League One could essentially be playing in the top flight within 12 months with a decent season under them, breaking into the top 10 is more achievable than the top 6.

Basically, you'll see a lot of yo-yo clubs, but the top 10 of the Premier League remains intact which is what armchair fans are only interested in, they are the clubs that make the league strong as they are the super powers.

For me, does it matter who the top teams are playing? Most clubs in the Premier League are just making up the numbers anyway, and there's not much difference between a Championship Club and a lower-end Premier League club these days. So to me, its doesn't matter if Burnley or Huddersfield are swapping with Aston Villa or Derby every other season.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:49 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:If it was up to me, rather than breaking away, I'd prefer to see more integrating, with the Bottom 10 in Premier League being replaced with the top 10 of the Championship every season.

Obviously, it'll give Football League clubs a better opportunity to play at the highest level while for the Premier League club, dropping down a division isn't financially crippling as there is a much better chance of winning promotion back the season after.

Teams promoted from League One could essentially be playing in the top flight within 12 months with a decent season under them, breaking into the top 10 is more achievable than the top 6.

Basically, you'll see a lot of yo-yo clubs, but the top 10 of the Premier League remains intact which is what armchair fans are only interested in, they are the clubs that make the league strong as they are the super powers.

For me, does it matter who the top teams are playing? Most clubs in the Premier League are just making up the numbers anyway, and there's not much difference between a Championship Club and a lower-end Premier League club these days. So to me, its doesn't matter if Burnley or Huddersfield are swapping with Aston Villa or Derby every other season.
Rather than just a straight 10 down 10 up I could see the merit in say something along the lines of 2 up 2 down and some form of playoff / cup competition for the other 8 places between 10-18 in the PL and 3-10 in the EFL. Maybe like a mini league or something?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Wouldn't be good long term for us Clarets but lets be honest if we were a big club like Leeds we would fully support it
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:52 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:If it was up to me, rather than breaking away, I'd prefer to see more integrating, with the Bottom 10 in Premier League being replaced with the top 10 of the Championship every season..
It's a great idea, but there's zero chance the EPL would vote for it.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:00 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:People say its the most exciting league. And in terms of competitiveness it probably is. But how many really tune in to watch it?
To be fair CFC it is about the 5th or 6th most attended league in the world and attracts bigger attendances than most European top flights. As for viewing figures who knows, I'm sure for advertising purposes Sky will inflate theirs, it's only normal for any media to exaggerate viewing figures/readership to encourage advertisers.

Personally I'd love to see this because I think it's only a matter of time before the PL implodes on itself because of money and the very real possibility of a Euro league for the big clubs. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were no PL at all in 10 years or less.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 pm

claret_in_exile wrote:It's a great idea, but there's zero chance the EPL would vote for it.
My argument to it would be that Premier League and Championship would be more aligned, so the financial risks wouldn't be as bad. If a club like Burnley got relegated this season and failed to win promotion back within a few seasons, it could be disastrous but we're getting relegated into the division where promotion back is feasible... even if we were relegated into League One in that time.

I think it'll mix it up. Keep the Premier League fresh while not upsetting the elite.

I think the end of season run in would be very exciting, a club like Everton could be aiming for a top 4 finish but actually end up relegated into the Championship after a run of 4 games without a win (but it wouldn't matter too much, because they would be most likely be promoted back in 12 months anyway without the financial pressure of relegation the way it is at the moment).

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:26 pm

houseboy wrote:To be fair CFC it is about the 5th or 6th most attended league in the world and attracts bigger attendances than most European top flights. As for viewing figures who knows, I'm sure for advertising purposes Sky will inflate theirs, it's only normal for any media to exaggerate viewing figures/readership to encourage advertisers.

Personally I'd love to see this because I think it's only a matter of time before the PL implodes on itself because of money and the very real possibility of a Euro league for the big clubs. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were no PL at all in 10 years or less.
Sorry thats what i meant.

With the likes of leeds, villa, sheff x 2, derby, forest etc theres no doubt attendances are excellent.

I doubt many people watch live championship games on tv though.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 pm

claret_in_exile wrote:It's a great idea, but there's zero chance the EPL would vote for it.
It’s an awful idea, the definition of success would be finishing tenth in either league. In reality there would be only four places safe in the prem each year.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:51 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:It’s an awful idea, the definition of success would be finishing tenth in either league. In reality there would be only four places safe in the prem each year.
But it close the gulf between the Premier League and League One. The League will be different every season but the quality of the teams will remain the same.

So essentially, after relegation you'll still playing the same teams 9 teams relegated from last season but with a few others and those promoted from League One, while promoted teams are playing the same teams in Premier League as last season but with the big boys... and earning more money from the TV revenue.

The two leagues will be almost on par in quality (other than the elite - who could still get relegated by not finishing in the top 10), while smaller clubs (Accrington Stanley's, Barnsley and Blackburns :) ) can also reap the financial rewards with occasional seasons in the top flight too.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:59 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:But it close the gulf between the Premier League and League One. The League will be different every season but the quality of the teams will remain the same.

So essentially, after relegation you'll still playing the same teams 9 teams relegated from last season but with a few others and those promoted from League One, while promoted teams are playing the same teams in Premier League as last season but with the big boys... and earning more money from the TV revenue.

The two leagues will be almost on par in quality (other than the elite - who could still get relegated by not finishing in the top 10), while smaller clubs (Accrington Stanley's, Barnsley and Blackburns :) ) can also reap the financial rewards with occasional seasons in the top flight too.
I understand what you are saying to a certain extent, I just don’t like the lack of competition that it would produce. As a fan would you really celebrate promotion to the prem like we did if you finished tenth?

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:00 pm

I am sure that the worldwide tv audiences will be ecstatic at the thought of watching Accrington Stanley playing in the Premier League with a crowd of 5000 cheering them on.
The PL don't like Burnley being in there, I shudder to think how they would cope with Stanley ---bring it on!
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:22 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Sorry thats what i meant.

With the likes of leeds, villa, sheff x 2, derby, forest etc theres no doubt attendances are excellent.

I couldn't say mate because I don't have a clue what the current viewing figures are. Personally (and maybe I'm weird) but I avoid watching the PL like the plague apart from us because I simply just don't like it.
Last edited by houseboy on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:I am sure that the worldwide tv audiences will be ecstatic at the thought of watching Accrington Stanley playing in the Premier League with a crowd of 5000 cheering them on.
The PL don't like Burnley being in there, I shudder to think how they would cope with Stanley ---bring it on!
I a actually think those running the PL are pleased we are in there and finished 7th last season, likewise Leicester winning the league. They can then say the PL is not a closed shop and smaller clubs can achieve success.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Sorry thats what i meant.

I couldn't say mate because I don't have a clue what the current viewing figures are. Personally (and maybe I'm weird) but I avoid watching the PL like the plague apart from us because I simply just don't like it. Over-hyped, over- funded, over-rated and just about the worst kind of thing to happen to football in this country. I like watching unusual stuff, South American leagues (Argentina, Brazil but also Columbian, Uraguayan and even Venezeulan). But I take a look at the Scottish league sometimes and actually go to Stanley occasionally (a very satisfying experience at the moment). A couple of nights ago I was watching, of all things, the Irish League, a game between Colerain and Linfield. I love this stuff and to me it beats watching all the over-paid, cheating, glove-wearing, posturing prima donnas that inhabit the rarefied air of the PL. To be honest I think that sometimes the only reason I manage to maintain my interest in football at all is to keep watching other stuff than the PL because it gives me hope that football will eventually regain some sense of it's real place and worth in the world, because football, at least the PL and some of the other Euro leagues also, has a massive over-inflated sense of it's own importance in the overall scheme of things.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets AfloatinClaret Blackrod

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm

houseboy wrote:I couldn't say mate because I don't have a clue what the current viewing figures are. Personally (and maybe I'm weird) but I avoid watching the PL like the plague apart from us because I simply just don't like it. Over-hyped, over- funded, over-rated and just about the worst kind of thing to happen to football in this country. I like watching unusual stuff, South American leagues (Argentina, Brazil but also Columbian, Uraguayan and even Venezeulan). But I take a look at the Scottish league sometimes and actually go to Stanley occasionally (a very satisfying experience at the moment). A couple of nights ago I was watching, of all things, the Irish League, a game between Colerain and Linfield. I love this stuff and to me it beats watching all the over-paid, cheating, glove-wearing, posturing prima donnas that inhabit the rarefied air of the PL. To be honest I think that sometimes the only reason I manage to maintain my interest in football at all is to keep watching other stuff than the PL because it gives me hope that football will eventually regain some sense of it's real place and worth in the world, because football, at least the PL and some of the other Euro leagues also, has a massive over-inflated sense of it's own importance in the overall scheme of things.
Couldve wrote the exact same thing myself.
This user liked this post: houseboy

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm

houseboy wrote:I couldn't say mate because I don't have a clue what the current viewing figures are. Personally (and maybe I'm weird) but I avoid watching the PL like the plague apart from us because I simply just don't like it. Over-hyped, over- funded, over-rated and just about the worst kind of thing to happen to football in this country. I like watching unusual stuff, South American leagues (Argentina, Brazil but also Columbian, Uraguayan and even Venezeulan). But I take a look at the Scottish league sometimes and actually go to Stanley occasionally (a very satisfying experience at the moment). A couple of nights ago I was watching, of all things, the Irish League, a game between Colerain and Linfield. I love this stuff and to me it beats watching all the over-paid, cheating, glove-wearing, posturing prima donnas that inhabit the rarefied air of the PL. To be honest I think that sometimes the only reason I manage to maintain my interest in football at all is to keep watching other stuff than the PL because it gives me hope that football will eventually regain some sense of it's real place and worth in the world, because football, at least the PL and some of the other Euro leagues also, has a massive over-inflated sense of it's own importance in the overall scheme of things.

I get the point you're making, but for every real football fan who is disillusioned with it there's plenty more armchair fans who will lap it up. E.g my housemate whose only really interested in watching a game if the big 6 are playing each other. Not to mention the massive interest there still seems to be around the World, particularly the Far East.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:44 pm

So there are a few clubs in the Championship that are "Revolting"
Well we know Leeds are revolting... ;)
We know Woe-vers are revolting... ;)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:I am sure that the worldwide tv audiences will be ecstatic at the thought of watching Accrington Stanley playing in the Premier League with a crowd of 5000 cheering them on.
Not sure if you're being tongue in cheek here mate so I'm not going to be critical but what would be wrong with Stanley in the PL? Anyone who had a problem with that (and I'm not saying you have) has lost the sense of what football is about and been infected by the same elitism that is now rife in the PL, not just the clubs but supporters as well. Many fans in the PL now seem to think that any club with a ground capacity of less than 30k and small support shouldn't be there but the problem with that thinking is that it has nothing to do with football. Football is about what happens on the pitch, nothing else, and those who think the PL is only for the big clubs are not football fans they are simply trophy hunting elitists who want to be associated with something big. I've actually heard people in recent years who say they wouldn't watch anything outside of the PL because it's not 'good enough'. What utter tosh. The whole PL thing, when it was launched all those years ago now it seems, was originally planned to be something elitist with only clubs with certain sized grounds and support being allowed in it. Thankfully that idea was squashed because enough people with enough common sense realised that had nothing to do with football. The only hangover from that is that it has almost become that by default because the powers have let it happen via the back door through the hype (more dressing than content really) and the money and the promotion of it as 'the best league in the world'.

Every club has a right to play wherever they are good enough for on the pitch regardless of support or ground size. I expect the ultimate elitist league will be the European Super League as and when it eventually gets off the ground (as it surely will) but at least football at a national level (in all countries) might then get back to reality and the 'giants' of the super league can carry on as if they are the most important thing in the world and ultimately completely lose touch with reality and exist in their own little universe where money is king, cheating is allowed and encouraged, mediocre players are paid kings ransoms and the game is a non-contact sport so that the clubs 'investments' don't get injured.

Apologies to Ashington in advance but my rant is definitely not aimed at you my friend (unless you actually meant what you said then maybe it might be). ;)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Clear signs that things as we know it in football are bcoming fragmented, it doesn't look good for the future.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:03 pm

houseboy-- suffice to say that, as well as travelling to the Turf, I also watch Ashington, Bedlington, Carlisle, Hartlepool, over-40s league and the local Sunday Leagues, one of which I used to be the Secretary. You can form your own opinion! :D
I would love to Stanley in the PL ---sadly it will not happen!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:12 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I get the point you're making, but for every real football fan who is disillusioned with it there's plenty more armchair fans who will lap it up. E.g my housemate whose only really interested in watching a game if the big 6 are playing each other. Not to mention the massive interest there still seems to be around the World, particularly the Far East.
And that is exactly the point mate. People who only watch the big six on telly aren't 'fans', they are customers, and there is a difference. A fan is dedicated and loyal and goes through pain (relatively speaking of course) when their team goes through a bad patch. They turn out in crap weather and sit in the cold, spend hours getting stuck on motorways in jams and use rubbish toilets. A customer sits in the comfort of their own home watching a product that they cannot really get worked up about because they are not a fan. There are of course a few in the middle who are football fans generically who go to games as neutrals but at least turn out and make the effort. I know they say football is now big business and it should be packaged as such but it isn't really, it's a game, a pastime, a sport and if it disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow the world would go on as normal without it.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:16 pm

I remember Keighley Cougars winning the Rugby League 2nd tier back in the 90's (the precise year escapes me) and not being allowed to take their rightful place in the RL Super League because their ground "Cougar Park" wasn't deemed up to the standards required.
The Burnley board at the time offered Turf Moor as a venue whilst Cougar Park was upgraded. But the grandees at the top of the RLSL said no (precise reasons I can't recollect possibly county lines or was it because it was a Soccer Stadium...) yet they allowed Hunslet to use Elland Road and Wigan's Stadium to be used for both sports.
Typical of a closed shop society...
IF (& its a big IF) Accy did get there I can see the PL refusing admission for similar reasons....

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Im getting sick of football .

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:27 pm

bfcjg wrote:Im getting sick of football .
Football or the upper echelons of football?
Football is played by lots of people of all ages at varying levels each weekend and is a sport which many people love in spite of what is happening at the top level. So is it football that you are sick of or is it just the top levels of the English game?
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Bosscat wrote:I remember Keighley Cougars winning the Rugby League 2nd tier back in the 90's (the precise year escapes me) and not being allowed to take their rightful place in the RL Super League because their ground "Cougar Park" wasn't deemed up to the standards required.
The Burnley board at the time offered Turf Moor as a venue whilst Cougar Park was upgraded. But the grandees at the top of the RLSL said no (precise reasons I can't recollect possibly county lines or was it because it was a Soccer Stadium...) yet they allowed Hunslet to use Elland Road and Wigan's Stadium to be used for both sports.
IF (& its a big IF) Accy did get there I can see the PL refusing admission for similar reasons....

Yep,the Cougars were well and truly stitched up by Maurice Lyndsey and his cronies,wasn't it due to a league reconstruction as well as the ground ? used to be a great day out at a Cougar Park until the rugby powers phooked them up big time and they have gone downhill ever since that.. :(

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Football or the upper echelons of football?
Football is played by lots of people of all ages at varying levels each weekend and is a sport which many people love in spite of what is happening at the top level. So is it football that you are sick of or is it just the top levels of the English game?
Fair point,the greed of the top proffesional leagues.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 conyoviejo

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 pm

I'd love to see Stanley in the PL, as long as we don't get them in the 3rd round of the FA Cup!!

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:22 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Yep,the Cougars were well and truly stitched up by Maurice Lyndsey and his cronies,wasn't it due to a league reconstruction as well as the ground ? used to be a great day out at a Cougar Park until the rugby powers phooked them up big time and they have gone downhill ever since that.. :(
It was the Sky money coming in and setting up Super League. Keighley were amazing for the community and were very innovative but getting denied because they weren't big enough was a gut punch. I think they've gone into admin multiple times since.

The Super League originally tried a regional model, where Warrington and Widnes would form "Cheshire", Salford and Oldham would form "Manchester" and such. Of course, not a single fan wanted any part of that, so they froze the top tier as the previous year with London (who finished fourth) and Paris added for "European flavour". Keighley, having won the second tier in 1995, were denied entry by TPTB.

Ironically, they had won the league two years before that and because of re-organization, were denied a promotion then too.

So it could always be worse.
This user liked this post: conyoviejo

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:06 am

fans had to adapt to northern and southern leagues being amalgamated, but with 92 clubs one way or the other, its remained fairly solid. Now it is a scummy,betting, hellhole with vapid tv companies calling the shots, truly awful.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Belfast_Claret Ashingtonclaret46

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:31 am

The more people talk about "breakaway leagues", the closer we get to "franchise football". As a native North American, I'm totally used to professional sports being run by franchises in a closed league, and players being replaced by young prospects coming through a "draft" system. In fact, one of the biggest days in NA sports is the annual NFL draft of college prospects. It used to be a one-day event, but now starts on a Thursday and ends on Sunday. Is this what you want? A closed event staged for the benefit of, say, the 20 biggest clubs drafting from the 3 lower tiers and non-league football. I've always been attracted by the idea of clubs like Carlisle and Northampton crashing the big boys' party, even if it's just for one year. Take away promotion and relegation and what do you have? 44 pass moves for you lot might be exciting, but to somebody like me who grew up on ice hockey, it's the more direct approach that turns my crank. What was deemed the best goal of the weekend? CR7's effort for Juventus. If the Championship clubs do leave, they'll just be replaced by clubs from the lower levels, and people will just stop watching Championship football, or whatever marketing name they make up for it.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am

ontario claret wrote:If the Championship clubs do leave, they'll just be replaced by clubs from the lower levels, and people will just stop watching Championship football, or whatever marketing name they make up for it.
Agree with everything you said but this.
They must see some benefit from breaking away and I can only come up with financial.
The leagues have been told that government will step in if there is any attempt to block the pyramid system. I’d love to see the top 14 breakaway but they can’t have all the cake so they must be told one or the other but never both. Truly competitive national leagues all around Europe would be a bigger boost for the game than 14 clubs playing with themselves.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 am

I agree with that. Maybe you misunderstood me. Without a legitimate pyramid, there is no reason for the lower league teams to even exist. I just don't see any way that teams can improve their situation by going off on their own. Do you really think that there are major sponsors just waiting to lavish billions on second-rate football? Maybe there are, but who? Right now it doesn't matter anyways, because it's all posturing at this stage.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets piston broke

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am

ontario claret wrote:The more people talk about "breakaway leagues", the closer we get to "franchise football". As a native North American, I'm totally used to professional sports being run by franchises in a closed league, and players being replaced by young prospects coming through a "draft" system. In fact, one of the biggest days in NA sports is the annual NFL draft of college prospects. It used to be a one-day event, but now starts on a Thursday and ends on Sunday. Is this what you want? A closed event staged for the benefit of, say, the 20 biggest clubs drafting from the 3 lower tiers and non-league football. I've always been attracted by the idea of clubs like Carlisle and Northampton crashing the big boys' party, even if it's just for one year. Take away promotion and relegation and what do you have? 44 pass moves for you lot might be exciting, but to somebody like me who grew up on ice hockey, it's the more direct approach that turns my crank. What was deemed the best goal of the weekend? CR7's effort for Juventus. If the Championship clubs do leave, they'll just be replaced by clubs from the lower levels, and people will just stop watching Championship football, or whatever marketing name they make up for it.
Excellent post

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:houseboy-- suffice to say that, as well as travelling to the Turf, I also watch Ashington, Bedlington, Carlisle, Hartlepool, over-40s league and the local Sunday Leagues, one of which I used to be the Secretary. You can form your own opinion! :D
I would love to Stanley in the PL ---sadly it will not happen!
Ashington you are a breath of fresh air. I love it that you go to those places and I bet you really enjoy it. It's a pity that too many others think that football starts and ends with the PL.

And I can't see Stanley troubling the PL any time soon either, but then again I couldn't see them near the top of league one either.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am

Bosscat wrote:I remember Keighley Cougars winning the Rugby League 2nd tier back in the 90's (the precise year escapes me) and not being allowed to take their rightful place in the RL Super League because their ground "Cougar Park" wasn't deemed up to the standards required.
Hi Boss. The classic case locally was Colne Dynamoes. They were sweeping all before them on the non-league scene (including winning the FA Vase at Wembley) and then came up against the same problem. They were refused entry to the Conference because of their ground. Alas our beloved club were approached for a ground share until their new ground was built (Graham White reputedly offered 500k for a 12 month share - not a small amount at that time) but Burnley refused. White subsequently closed shop in sheer frustration.

Not sure why Burnley refused but I wouldn't mind betting it might have had something to do with support and the fact that a good deal of that support comes from Colne. The last thing Burnley would have wanted at that time (we weren't doing so well ourselves) was a football league team in a neighbouring town that provided a substantial percentage of our support.

Or am I being cynical?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:24 pm

houseboy wrote:Hi Boss. The classic case locally was Colne Dynamoes. They were sweeping all before them on the non-league scene (including winning the FA Vase at Wembley) and then came up against the same problem. They were refused entry to the Conference because of their ground. Alas our beloved club were approached for a ground share until their new ground was built (Graham White reputedly offered 500k for a 12 month share - not a small amount at that time) but Burnley refused. White subsequently closed shop in sheer frustration.

Not sure why Burnley refused but I wouldn't mind betting it might have had something to do with support and the fact that a good deal of that support comes from Colne. The last thing Burnley would have wanted at that time (we weren't doing so well ourselves) was a football league team in a neighbouring town that provided a substantial percentage of our support.

Or am I being cynical?
Sounds logical.

Tim Noone may be able to expand, who paid him a visit when rumours were rife of this. I believe he just wanted to establish what Whites intentions were with 'his' club :lol:

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Greedy Dirty Leeds were part of the move to rob the other 72 clubs of money and create a Premier League.

now they want to rob the bottom 48 of more money simply because they are managed badly on an ongoing basis.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:39 pm

houseboy wrote:Hi Boss. The classic case locally was Colne Dynamoes. They were sweeping all before them on the non-league scene (including winning the FA Vase at Wembley) and then came up against the same problem. They were refused entry to the Conference because of their ground. Alas our beloved club were approached for a ground share until their new ground was built (Graham White reputedly offered 500k for a 12 month share - not a small amount at that time) but Burnley refused. White subsequently closed shop in sheer frustration.
I think White shut up shop because he ran out of cash. His building firm temporarily closed at the same time. And as far as I remember, BFC did agree a ground share but the Conference refused it - they introduced a new rule that said clubs who had no ground because they had sold it for development were allowed to ground-share in the conference, but clubs which had never had their own ground were not allowed to ground-share. (This was because Northwich Victoria had sold or were planning to sell their ground and hadn't anything else lined up.)

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:40 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Yep,the Cougars were well and truly stitched up by Maurice Lyndsey and his cronies,wasn't it due to a league reconstruction as well as the ground ? used to be a great day out at a Cougar Park until the rugby powers phooked them up big time and they have gone downhill ever since that.. :(
I'm told that someone once mentioned Maurice Lyndsey at a Cougars game and was thrown out for swearing! :)
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 pm

All this seems a good idea (which I do support actually) but there are some logical problems. I don't know any details of what is being proposed but if the idea is to breakaway completely from the PL what would happen to, for instance, Burnley in the medium to long term? We have the 'big 6' super powers who may or may not clear off into a Euro super league leaving behind 14 other clubs who may be then left in some kind of limbo. Would a breakaway Football League still want to have a movement of teams between the Championship and the PL? If not would that mean that we, among others, need never fear relegation? If so would that not make the bulk of the PL a meaningless excercise in playing football matches that effectively become friendlies because of no hope of competing for honours but no fear of relegation? Would that not mean even less competition than now? If promotion and relegation are still to be had how would that Football League independence work? Is the whole thing mearly a paper excercise in money and nothing would actually change at all?

I confess that I have read no detail whatsoever as to what is potentially being proposed so forgive my ignorance but to me 'independence' means a complete cutting off of one thing from another, which would make any movement between said parties very difficult at best. Does anyone have any detail? Is the proposal just a financial excercise and can it be carried out without a physical breakaway, because the latter would be a bit of a logistical nightmare?

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm

This is where the main driving force is coming from --he started moaning on as soon as he got the major share

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45811803

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Ashington, did you miss Morpeth Town on your list?

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 pm

ontario claret wrote:Ashington, did you miss Morpeth Town on your list?
It was by no means a comprehensive list, ontario, and I do indeed watch Morpeth Town on occasion and also Blyth Spartans etc., etc.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:This is where the main driving force is coming from --he started moaning on as soon as he got the major share

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45811803

He did and is probably looking to utilise his own business interests as well (Eleven Sports) while at the same time trying to break the Saturday blackout and broadcast all games on the internet. The next stage of his cunning plan is for the clubs to keep all subscriptions to their games rather than share them collectively with all members of their league