How long for Theresa May?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

How long for Theresa May?

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Think she is on very thin ice. Suspect the knives will be out. So how long before she resigns?

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Re: How long for Theresa May?

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Give it a week. Long time in politics...

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm

60 minutes at 160c plus 20 mins per kg
These 5 users liked this post: Greenmile Pstotto Leisure Falcon Taffy on the wing

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Surprised the resignations haven’t started already.
Won’t be long.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Why would she resign? She has just received cabinet backing and EU backing for her brexit deal.
This is a wholly unexpected development.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Meeting with Corbyn now... Who knows whats going on

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm amazed she is still there.

She is defying expectations on what seems to be a daily basis. I've no time for her at all, but you have to admire her ability to hang in there.
This user liked this post: Leisure

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:23 pm

She hasn't a clue -it's only the threat of absolute chaos that is keeping her there. Once the smoke clears, she's a goner - and so is the value of the pound.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:23 pm

deanothedino wrote:Meeting with Corbyn now... Who knows whats going on
Anorak advice

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Tinder date?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Tinder date?
Is it possible to swipe that far left?
These 7 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Lancasterclaret DCWat Alanstevensonsgloves Goobs Falcon Roosterbooster

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Why would she resign? She has just received cabinet backing and EU backing for her brexit deal.
Because both extremes of the Conservative party won’t be happy nor their supporters. Because the northern Irish and Scottish parties won’t really be happy. Because the House of Lords won’t be easy. How many reasons do you want? It’s a ticking bomb.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6445 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm

You know what, I’m surprised she’s lasted this long and also that she has managed to get “something” in terms of a deal for Brexit. I’m not a Tory voter, and I dislike May as a politician and her values, but fair play to her - and I can’t believe I’m actually admitting this.

If it all goes t!ts up, at least she had a good go at it and tried for the country...

I’ll probably regret admitting this tomorrow
Last edited by Rick_Muller on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 4 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle walter the softy Corky KateR

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Why would she resign? She has just received cabinet backing and EU backing for her brexit deal.
Think you may have read this situation incorrectly.

All Brexit cabinet members “attacked the deal, except Grove”. Give it a day we will see the real picture - just like chequers previously
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6844 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Countries divided tories divided labour divided most importantly Uptheclarets.com divided;the poor sod doesnt stand a chance nor would anyone. I think she's done as well as anybody could.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:You know what, I’m surprised she’s lasted this long and also that she has managed to get “something” in terms of a deal for Brexit. I’m not a Tory voter, and I dislike May as a politician and her values, but fair play to her - and I can’t believe I’m actually admitting this.

If it all goes t!ts up, at least she had a good go at it and tried for the country...

Thought for quite a while now that history will paint her in a better light than many suspect in the current climate. She's attempting to reconcile and navigate directly opposing, sometimes logically impossible and seemingly paradoxical goals. Considering the red lines (informed and inferred by the referendum result) I'm not so sure the ERG lot could have done much more to deliver a 'purer' Brexit without casting off Northern Ireland or crippling business to the extent it'd be the death of the party.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Tinder date?
If its not Angela Rayner im swiping left

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 pm

The MPs will have to choose either this deal (which seems like it kicks a lot of the negotiation down the road to July 2020) or a hard Brexit, which would be catastrophic for everyone.

She'll ride this out, I think. I have no love for the Tories, but I think she's the only one who could have possibly avoided a hard Brexit given the scarcity of political talent there is out there.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1641 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 pm

She is going to be Dyche’s next signing. She would fit right in. Takes stubborn defending in the face of a maelstrom to the next level.

But....
Nick Timothy in tomorrow’s Torygraph has nailed it, saying with a heavy heart May has proven that she has never believed Brexit could be a success. That means she should never have been PM, and it means she could never argue eloquently for it in the negotiations.

This is worse than no deal. Far worse. The Brits are innovative. We would have made no deal work, and may even under another leader have had a better stab at getting a better deal from the EU.

I think she will last 12 months. Nobody wants to take the reins when the Government has deliberately not done any no deal preparations so they can use it to threaten people.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:... but fair play to her...at least she had a good go at it and tried for the country...
My thoughts exactly, all the major players - those that offered a referendum to save/boost their personal political careers and those that led the 'leave' campaignfor the same reason - quickly ducked for cover once the vote had been counted; you/I may notlike what TM's done, but she did at least have the balls to pick-up the poisoned chalice.
These 3 users liked this post: Right_winger The Enclosure KateR

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote: Nick Timothy in tomorrow’s Torygraph has nailed it, saying with a heavy heart May has proven that she has never believed Brexit could be a success. That means she should never have been PM, and it means she could never argue eloquently for it in the negotiations.
Without proving that technological solutions exist, we're dealing with squares that can't be circled. Doesn't matter how eloquent you are, wishing Santa real won't make it so.
CrosspoolClarets wrote:This is worse than no deal. Far worse. The Brits are innovative. We would have made no deal work, and may even under another leader have had a better stab at getting a better deal from the EU.
Are you for real? Negotiate a better deal from a position of even greater weakness and desperation? How long do you think the electorate would tolerate the hardballing when it's the electorate who'd be feeling the pain borne of the decisions of the hardliners?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:32 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:Because both extremes of the Conservative party won’t be happy nor their supporters. Because the northern Irish and Scottish parties won’t really be happy. Because the House of Lords won’t be easy. How many reasons do you want? It’s a ticking bomb.
So pretty much the same it's been since the vote was cast originally...

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:37 pm

Her job has been impossible from the start.
Fair play to her. She has bigger bxllocks than David Cameron
These 6 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Lancasterclaret The Enclosure NickBFC yosserhughes Leisure

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:41 pm

You didn't hear Crispin Blunt on Radio Five this afternoon then Spiral.

every single brexit fantasy from 2016 crashed out in an astonishing five minute diatribe, and then completely shut down by Sara Brett when he tried to claim that a no deal was the only legal way forward.

He actually said we'd hold all the aces on April 1st in the event of a "No Deal".

And surely Nick Timothy might remember that his hard brexit election plan didn't go that well?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 am

We're in a situation where we can pick two - and only two - from three options: Northern Ireland remains in the UK / relative market stability (an economy) / an idealist's notion of pure sovereignty.

Seems that the realpolitik (GFA, parliamentary arithmetic, EU considerations) doesn't allow for all three, sadly. There's a theoretical way of smoothly & slowly disentangling without a huge economic shock, but not one in which the NI border issue is satisfied from the perspective of the border communities, the EU, or the DUP. May's deal surrenders sovereignty and I can't say that in the same situation I'd have played games with the peace process or people's livelihoods. I don't think it's beyond imagination that an ERG hard brexiteer faced by the realities of leadership and governance might have taken a similar approach to compromise. They'll have their tantrum for now (probably the DUP, too) because they're in a position where they can but eventually their bullshit-free pitch is going to have to be "Brexit is going to be painful." For all the protest from brexiteers about folk knowing fine well what they were voting for, this was absolutely not the vision promised in 2016. It's common for people to adjust to new realities, however bad, rather than confront a lie, and as such the goalposts have been moved so much since 2016 I'm not even sure what sport is being played.

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 am

Utter betrayal. All the time saying we would be leaving the EU and its what the people voted for blah blah while all the time plotting a course that even the Secretary of State for Brexit didn't know until July was being plotted, now we know we are NOT leaving the EU its BRINO Brexit in name only, its the utter lies and contempt May has for the British people, I hope it doesn't get through the commons.

Northern Ireland has been used in the game to get what the remainers want which is to stay in the EU.

This deal is actually worse that staying in the EU on the old basis.

The way to leave the EU and the Single Market and the Customs Union is Article 50 on 29.3.19 now we are committing to a Treaty that says that we can only leave when the EU lets us!!

What a joke. We are now a colony of the EU doing whatever they ask. Next up they will control our army and airforce and nuclear missiles.

I really can't believe this mess and I 100% blame May.

UTC

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:26 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:He actually said we'd hold all the aces on April 1st in the event of a "No Deal".
Wasn't it David Davis that said we'd hold all the cards the day after voting to leave in 2016?

He was deluded to think that back then, and that claim was proven to be BS very quickly in the negotiation.

For Crispin Blunt to believe a claim like that now, after everything that's happened in the last 2 years, is beyond delusional.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:31 am

SussexDon1inIreland wrote:This deal is actually worse that staying in the EU on the old basis.
Well, yeah. We already had the best possible deal all along. Brexit is an act of pure folly, sold to the public by snake oil salesmen based on completely unrealistic promises.

The Brexit you were promised was never going to be possible. You were lied to. This is Brexit.

If you're unhappy with it, maybe it's time to throw your weight behind a people's vote?
These 2 users liked this post: NickBFC longsidepies

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 am

Rick_Muller wrote:You know what, I’m surprised she’s lasted this long and also that she has managed to get “something” in terms of a deal for Brexit. I’m not a Tory voter, and I dislike May as a politician and her values, but fair play to her - and I can’t believe I’m actually admitting this.

That's funny. You dislike her values? What do you think they are? I think they are pure New Labour. Maybe you're one of the hard left. I guess so like you guessing at her values.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:Well, yeah. We already had the best possible deal all along. Brexit is an act of pure folly, sold to the public by snake oil salesmen based on completely unrealistic promises.

The Brexit you were promised was never going to be possible. You were lied to. This is Brexit.

If you're unhappy with it, maybe it's time to throw your weight behind a people's vote?
Sold to the public like snake oil salesmen? Whether you are for or against that is just rubbish and an insult to 17.4 million people. Many, many of whom are far more intelligent and street wise than the shower of **** in Westminster. Cameron and Osborne lied through their teeth and spent millions on their pro EU leaflet tgat landed in the letter box of every household. One day you'll wake and EU will be no more. It's self destructing now and no wonder with its complete disregard for its people. A reformed EU trading bloc would not even not be satisfactory except for big, big business whose tariffs and laws it protects. They and misguided individuals like some on here like it in its current dinosaur form

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 am

Stayingup wrote:That's funny. You dislike her values? What do you think they are? I think they are pure New Labour. Maybe you're one of the hard left. I guess so like you guessing at her values.
I'll start with Windrush and her stance on that. I think its fair to evaluate someones values based upon her actions in relation to that. Then I'll move onto buying her status as Prime Minister with the DUP, she bought votes its as simple as that. Her record as Home Secretary and the destruction of our Police Force... shall I go on?

Of course there are values she has that I admire too, but stoicism isn't a value that most would notice nor care about.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 am

I cant believe it, but I think I would like a Leadership battle in the Tory Party followed by a General Election. I can't see a way of resolving this dogs dinner as we are at the moment and a Referendum on a Referendum will need a pre Referendum to work out what to ask in the Referendum so I am ruling that out. I do truly hate politics but the football is thin on the ground at the moment!

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:57 am

Dominic Raab, the Brexit secretary, has resigned.(BBC)

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 am

I haven't checked the news since June 2016, but assuming that Brexit thing is all good and sorted by now?

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 am

Bringing a sporting link into the debate, it was a true “Hospital pass” from Cameron in the first place wasn’t it...

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:22 am

ElectroClaret wrote:Dominic Raab, the Brexit secretary, has resigned.(BBC)

If I were a betting man, I would say at least 8 more resignation by lunchtime. :shock:

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:23 am

How many Brexit secretaries does it take to negotiate a deal :?:

Strange how this proposed deal was welcomed by business leaders but it seems that those pursuing a dogmatic and ideological approach with a hard "no deal" Brexit are determined to have their way.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am

Esther MCVey gone now.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am

McVey has gone as well....no loss there.

Who's next?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 am

I can't see any of the Brexiteers staying.

Looks like "No Deal" or another referendum. Possibly even another election.

No way a Brexiteer Conservative PM could get anything through Parliament with the numbers what they are.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:05 am

Jockeying for position now, for a PM job down the line.

Liam Fox...
Gove..?

Thinking of themselves, rather than the country.

A proper shambles.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:05 am

Can we merge this thread with the EU one perhaps?
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

biggles
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by biggles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 am

she's resigning in public later today. she's a remainer at heart. she's all but kept us in the EU with her latest scheme. i thought ages ago that if the EU are 'happy' with any Brexit agreement then that will be a good indicator that it isn't a proper Brexit. come on, Boris. cometh the time, cometh the man. next step a referendum for the whole of the island of Ireland; remain in the UK or the EU? ;)

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 am

She's been clinging into power since day one. Not because she's incompetent but because she's being asked to deliver the impossible: namely the Leavers version of Brexit. I've gone full circle in my opinions of her to the point that I just feel sorry for her now. Nobody supports her and she can't trust anyone in her own cabinet. Politics eh, makes you wonder why anyone gets involved!

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:33 am

Falcon wrote:Can we merge this thread with the EU one perhaps?
"the EU one"

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:34 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:"the EU one"

The one with the misleading title ;)

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 am

Falcon wrote:The one with the misleading title ;)
The one with the lies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am

Listening to her on the radio now.

She's definitely saying to her own party that this is the only deal on the table and it had to be a compromise.

Saying "acting in the national interest" (which to be fair she is trying to do, whilst simultaneously trying to enforce the result of the referendum)

Actually feel for her. Her own party won't accept reality, so its no surprise that large chunks of the UK won't either.
This user liked this post: biggles

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am

Delighted to see Esther McVey go over the cliff edge she was proving more toxic than Brexit.

As for Dominic Raab he thinks it's all Dover……..it is now!
This user liked this post: biggles

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 am

Brexit is going that badly people are feeling sorry for Theresa May.
If ever proof was needed that it’s an absolute farce.
These 3 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Rick_Muller biggles