The Legend of St George and The Dragon

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

The Legend of St George and The Dragon

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:15 am

Hi guys, my new book, "The Legend of St George and The Dragon" is now available on Amazon so I thought I'd give you the heads up and share some of the fantastic images from the book.

If you'd like to grab a copy it's available for kindle and in paperback and hardback versions, links here to the UK site:

Paperback and kindle: https://amzn.to/2Q4JAZa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hardback: https://amzn.to/2zcY2Vl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

St George and the Dragon: The Legend of Saint George and the Dragon.

St George is the patron Saint of over 50 Countries worldwide. Each country celebrates St George’s day with differing traditions, the story is never out of fashion and grows in popularity each year.

St George is the Patron Saint of England, Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia.

St George is the patron saint of soldiers, archers, cavalry, chivalry, riders, saddlers, farmers and field workers. St George is also the patron saint of Scouting as he "was typical of what a scout should be".

Writer Mark Watson has researched all the legends of St George and taken the parts that are the most common – putting his doubts and fears in a box, giving the Princess a rose – and discarded the more boring aspects to create the definitive version of the legend.
Any extraneous parts have been trimmed such as the Princess entering a lottery, Saint George recovering under an orange tree etc to make the book very lean in its storytelling, St George arrives, sees the destruction, fights the dragon and is defeated, recovers and ultimately triumphs, like a Hollywood movie, it is the classic three-act structure. Roses became a symbol of the patron saint because a beautiful bloom is thought to have grown on his grave. This also came from a tradition in Catalonia in Spain - of which Saint George is also a patron saint - where women would give men a book and receive a rose in return on the feast day.

St George’s day is typically celebrated on April 23rd.

The illustrations of St George and the Dragon have been done by German artist Richard Caine, each image has been handpainted in acrylic. This is the culmination of almost a year’s work.

The story of St George is written in verse, like all Mark Watson’s children’s books. The verse is constructed of rhyming couplets in perfect rhyme …

Thunder splits the air, lightning flashes all around,
from the pit beside the castle comes a frightful sound.

The rolling clouds of poison, churn and tear apart,
from the mighty thump thump thumping of a giant dragon’s heart.

The Dragon rises from the gorge, filling all the sky,
he sees himself, a tiny George, reflected in its eye.

“Who are you?” The Dragon asks, “Have you come alone?”
Its voice is pure evil, like bone scraping bone.

This knight of the crusades, holding lance, shield and blade
sits upright upon his horse, grim yet unafraid.

“I’ve been abroad but now I’m home. My name is George, I stand alone.
There is no army only I, I’ll fight and win or fight and die.

What are you waiting for? Grab your copy NOW!

Last edited by Claret-On-A-T-Rex on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view JohnMac elwaclaret

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Re: The Legend of St George and The Dragon

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:22 am

Here's the awesome book trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPcP4T2LbCA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: JohnMac

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 pm

would love to write a book for children. Congrats on doing so, and a cool topic, St George, though it looks like you focus on the English version of things, without me diving into your links for further clarification. The artwork is great and will hopefully make it a success.

I struggled to identify your meter somewhat, making it more difficult for parents to capture that rhythm, but nevertheless you've done what I have not!

Well done Sir!

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm

discount for Clarets?

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:26 pm

NRC wrote:would love to write a book for children. Congrats on doing so, and a cool topic, St George, though it looks like you focus on the English version of things, without me diving into your links for further clarification. The artwork is great and will hopefully make it a success.

I struggled to identify your meter somewhat, making it more difficult for parents to capture that rhythm, but nevertheless you've done what I have not!

Well done Sir!
Thanks

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Spike wrote:discount for Clarets?
It's print-on-demand through Amazon so I don't control the price unfortunately :(

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:39 am

Happy (belated) St George's Day folks, I was working on my bookstall yesterday selling St George books!

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Good work, T-Rex.
I opened your first link, Amazon, and was immediately offered it on kindle for £0.00p. You might want to have a word.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 pm

If it's free then grab it

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Looks really cool.

Nice work CTrex

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Looks really impressive. Hope it soars for you

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:00 am

Thanks guys, I sold loads of copies on my stall and was interviewed on the radio and on national television too!