If you had £25 million to spend in January...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Re: If you had £25 million to spend in January...

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Im now not sure if youre talking about Teresa May or Burnleys board in that last sentence!!
Definitely Teresea MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY!

In the case of WBA no deal should mean no deal. I'm not in favour of us going back in for any of their players.
Nonayforever wrote:I would buy Dyche the next set of football management manuals ' how to get your players passing the ball'.

That should leave some change for the next European venture.
Our passing has been pretty woeful at times, but I think it ties into the confidence issue. The players have shown they can all pass the ball in previous seasons so it has to be something other than a basic skill problem.

The pace of the game seems like it has gone up another small notch this season, which gives the players less freedom and time to make on the spot decisions. An element of self doubt can also cause hesitance that can reduce the time a player has to see and make a pass - or move into space to reduce the risk of interception.

As the lads build up their confidence to previous levels and remember how good they actually are we can expect to see our pass rate improve.

Teaching them how to process information and make decisions more quickly would also help matters.

Here is a list of games that can help with the latter, because it is nearly Christmas and any one of them would make a good present at a reasonably cheap price. And all of them are a lot more fun to play than Monopoly.

Speed and response games

Ghost Blitz

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/85605/g ... host-blitz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr Eureka

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/82674/d ... -dr-eureka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Salmon

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/96876/h ... ppy-salmon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Curse of the Temple

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/23855/e ... rse-temple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jungle Speed

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/24962/j ... ngle-speed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one has a very small potential for finger injuries, because of the sideways swipe. Replacing the totem with an object that requires a downward grab fixes that. A tennis ball can be fun.

General Teamwork

For general team building I would go with co-operative games like Magic Maze, Forbidden Island, Hanabi and The Mind.

Video reviews for all of them are available at the game site in the previous links, happy shopping.
This user liked this post: Falcon

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Painful reading this thread and seeing the names of many young, skilful players who would make excellent signings, whilst knowing full well January will be spent adding 50k’s onto successive Jay Rodriguez bids. :(
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets AfloatinClaret

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Does anyone know how much it would cost to payoff Dyche's contract?
Assume it would be cheaper to pay you off and perhaps money well spent.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Got a mate who's a big Leeds fan, he's adamant Woods is on his way back there...hes nowt to back it though

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Haven’t read the post fully, but it would be Liz Hurley or Anna Friel, though Zeta Jones could be available at a knock down price.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Bosscat

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:14 am

ewanrob wrote:Got a mate who's a big Leeds fan, he's adamant Woods is on his way back there...hes nowt to back it though
Hes hardly set the world on fire at hartlepool to be honest so id be surprised.

Should never have gone to chelsea.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 am

ewanrob wrote:Got a mate who's a big Leeds fan, he's adamant Woods is on his way back there...hes nowt to back it though
I made a comment a few weeks(?) ago on here that I thought if we went down and Leeds went up, they'd be interested. Common sense - of course they would be. They'd be after Charlie Taylor too. They both did a brilliant job for Leeds United.

This messageboard is obviously spotted by media, and I think that's all there is to it. They read, noted and made an article out of it.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:33 am

FactualFrank wrote:I made a comment a few weeks(?) ago on here that I thought if we went down and Leeds went up, they'd be interested. Common sense - of course they would be. They'd be after Charlie Taylor too. They both did a brilliant job for Leeds United.

This messageboard is obviously spotted by media, and I think that's all there is to it. They read, noted and made an article out of it.
Theres no story though?

And unless that did happen theres no way theyd go back. And even then id be surprised.

Much as id hate Leeds to come up I am certain theyd do what middlesbrough did and buy the likes of negredo and valdes but younger versions. I also think theyd do well.

Middlesbrough were unlucky to go down. You only need to stay up that once or twice and it can set you for a good while.

If and when they eventually get back up I suspect they will stay up.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:51 am

a good CM player, not rocket science where our problems are, we can't pass the ******* ball !

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:14 am

.....prostitutes and cocaine.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:16 am

Seen a few shouts for Mooy Not for me. He is very tidy but incredibly almost embarrassingly one footed for a pro midfielder. . I think he is part of Huddersfield,s problem when it comes to stretching the play.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:47 am

Okazaki. And someone completely outside the box on loan. A Schurrle / Hart type signing where you think how the f did we pull that off.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:03 am

Could we buy a quarter of Ronaldo, whereby he plays 1 in 4 games for us?

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Most of our players are much of a muchness. With the exception of Pope and possibly an on form Tarkowski, you should be able to spend £25m on one player and know it will be an upgrade. That’s a little harsh on Defour, but his injury record and age counts against him. If we were to spend £25m on trying to guarantee an improvement, it has to be a position where we’re really struggling, and that’s clearly the role that Hendrick is asked to play. I think our fans would be disappointed though, because the right player wouldn’t be what they crave. It should be a someone who can do that role that’s hybrid of defensive forward and midfielder that Hendrick is asked to play. Obviously for £25m there’d be more quality, but it would still need to be a workhorse of a player, because we’re not good enough elsewhere to allow luxury players.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:36 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Okazaki. And someone completely outside the box on loan. A Schurrle / Hart type signing where you think how the f did we pull that off.
Really do fail to see what Okazaki would bring this team

EDIT: I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if we tried to sign him.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Without a doubt it would have to be a striker. People keep going on about wingers and midfielders but we need, as a matter of priority, a PL quality striker. 25m wouldn't buy much in that position but we desperately need better than we have now. Unfortunately when anyone goes on about needing a striker many on here get all precious about Barnes, Vokes and Wood (maybe not the latter who is probably the best given the right service). These are three decent/good Championship strikers or second strikers in the PL but just are not good enough to be main strikers in the PL. Vokes is a hero and will be long remembered at Burnley but his time is past (unless we get relegated then he may come into his own again). I'm sorry guys but I have never rated Barnes too highly, he works hard and scares some defenders with his physicality but he is severely lacking in skill (and is prone to cheating - even though it doesn't get us any penalties). Wood is still a bit unknown. With a good number 10 (Vydra?) and a full strength midfield firing on all cylinders who knows, just maybe. If we only buy one player in January I will be bitterly disappointed if it's not a striker, but maybe it would have to be more than the 'allowed' budget for this thread excercise.
This user liked this post: Ziggy Stardust

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:09 pm

houseboy wrote:Without a doubt it would have to be a striker. People keep going on about wingers and midfielders but we need, as a matter of priority, a PL quality striker. 25m wouldn't buy much in that position but we desperately need better than we have now. Unfortunately when anyone goes on about needing a striker many on here get all precious about Barnes, Vokes and Wood (maybe not the latter who is probably the best given the right service). These are three decent/good Championship strikers or second strikers in the PL but just are not good enough to be main strikers in the PL. Vokes is a hero and will be long remembered at Burnley but his time is past (unless we get relegated then he may come into his own again). I'm sorry guys but I have never rated Barnes too highly, he works hard and scares some defenders with his physicality but he is severely lacking in skill (and is prone to cheating - even though it doesn't get us any penalties). Wood is still a bit unknown. With a good number 10 (Vydra?) and a full strength midfield firing on all cylinders who knows, just maybe. If we only buy one player in January I will be bitterly disappointed if it's not a striker, but maybe it would have to be more than the 'allowed' budget for this thread excercise.
Considering hardly any striker gets into double figures outside of the top six you are asking for something that is virtually impossible.

Vardy, Murray & Wood last season - that's it!

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Im not 100% sure that CM is a primary target, but if it was i would be knocking on Stoke's door for Joe Allen.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Goals aren't the biggest issue. Look at the table, only Fulham have conceded more. With the exception of surprisingly Man Utd, everyone above us has conceded at least 7 less than us. 6 teams have scored less than us though, and another in Wolves the same amount. We need to keep the ball better, and strong evidence of that is playing 4-5-1. That in turn would make us tougher to break down.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Spijed wrote:Considering hardly any striker gets into double figures outside of the top six you are asking for something that is virtually impossible.

Vardy, Murray & Wood last season - that's it!
I take your point but I think what other clubs have are midfielders who chip in more with goals. We weren't one of the lowest scoring teams in the PL last season for nothing. We finished 7th on the back of a great first half to the season and a rock solid defence (the latter obviously not being the case this season). Last season we only outscored 5 teams (and then not by many) and they were all in the bottom six (Southampton outscored us and they missed relegation by one place). Now our defence has been found wanting we cannot get by on less than a goal a game like last season, it just won't wash mate. We need a striker or we desperately need to start playing football that will get more players on the scoresheet or we are going to be in a bad place.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Our goals for column suggests we'll stay up, both in terms of this season and pretty much every other recent season. Southampton stayed up because they scored enough goals to, and funnily enough we're on course to score more in 2018/19 than Southampton did in 2017/18. All 3 teams that went down last season because they didn't score enough, but all 3 had considerably worse scoring rates than we do this season.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:03 pm

SGr wrote:I firmly believe Wood can be a goalscorer for us. He needs real service though like he had at Leeds. And we need more goals from midfield.
Totally agree with this assessment.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:09 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:Our goals for column suggests we'll stay up, both in terms of this season and pretty much every other recent season. Southampton stayed up because they scored enough goals to, and funnily enough we're on course to score more in 2018/19 than Southampton did in 2017/18. All 3 teams that went down last season because they didn't score enough, but all 3 had considerably worse scoring rates than we do this season.
True but last season we had one of the best defences in the PL, this season we will need far more than last because we are shipping far too many goals. We scored 36 goals last season (poor for a top 7 side) but that defence nailed it but this season 36 goals will see us in awful trouble unless the defence gets sorted, and quick.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Aaron mouy
Shelvey
Shelvey is a very good shout. I have been thinking that for a while now. Get Jack Cork to give him a bell and tell him SD wants to make him an omelette

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Nixon has tweeted that a "pacy winger " seems to be the priority

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Nixon has tweeted that a "pacy winger " seems to be the priority
it should be, after we've sorted the CM out !

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm

I tend to agree Vegas...but can only pass on what Big Al thinks...

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:47 pm

If I had to spend it on one player it would be Origi - I think he would suit our system really well

newminted
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by newminted » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Nainggolan for me. Instant rapport with and foil for Defour.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Six weeks tomorrow - and.......

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Stayingup wrote:Shelvey is a very good shout. I have been thinking that for a while now. Get Jack Cork to give him a bell and tell him SD wants to make him an omelette
Playing for a poor side but not good enuf for the top 6 sides. Might as well play for the top of the others from last years standings

Should have recruited players like this b4 europa

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:33 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Nixon has tweeted that a "pacy winger " seems to be the priority
We've already got a pacy winger, it's just that Dyche asks him to play as a second full back.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:50 pm

ClaretAL wrote:Ayoze Perez (Newcastle United)
Neal Maupay (Brentford)
Sébastien Haller (Frankfurt)
Joe Allen ( Stoke City)
Ollie Watkins (Brentford)
Pablo Hernandez (Leeds)
Harney Barnes (West Brom/ Leicester)

To name a few
Hernandez is 34 in April!! He’s a decent laker but I’d be disappointed if he was on our shopping list.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Spijed wrote:Six weeks tomorrow - and.......
... 30 days we’ll still be scratching around.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Playing for a poor side but not good enuf for the top 6 sides. Might as well play for the top of the others from last years standings

Should have recruited players like this b4 europa
Shelvey also on a reported 75k a week, we wont be signing anyone of his calibre

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 am

houseboy wrote:True but last season we had one of the best defences in the PL, this season we will need far more than last because we are shipping far too many goals. We scored 36 goals last season (poor for a top 7 side) but that defence nailed it but this season 36 goals will see us in awful trouble unless the defence gets sorted, and quick.
Going around in circles here. We've conceded far too many goals, but we're still 15th. Why? Because we're scoring at a reasonable enough rate. Strikers and more goals are not the priority. Doing better in midfield, keeping the ball and making more chances will lead to less goals conceded and strikers who do take their chances scoring more goals.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 am

Can we still get loan players, if so Scott McTominay at Man Utd would be a good shout.

Failing that I would love Dyche to sign today’s equivalent of a Frank Worthington or a Stan Bowles.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 am

If I had £25 million to spend in January I'd quit my job, pay off my mortgage, go on a year long holiday and invest the rest.

BFC are getting bugger all!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:27 am

ChorltonCharlie wrote:Going around in circles here. We've conceded far too many goals, but we're still 15th. Why? Because we're scoring at a reasonable enough rate. Strikers and more goals are not the priority. Doing better in midfield, keeping the ball and making more chances will lead to less goals conceded and strikers who do take their chances scoring more goals.
I just don't get where you are coming from about not needing more goals. 6 teams currently have scored less than us and 5 of them are below us. What you are missing is the goal difference and only 3 teams, the bottom 3, have worse than us. If you factor in the 4 we scored in one game (Bournemouth) then without that we have scored 8 goals in the other 11, and you think that is okay? That is worse as a ratio than last season but now the defence is conceding at about double the rate of last season. We need more goals mate, absolutely and definitely. We can't ship twice as many golas as last season and expect last seasons goal ratio to be sufficient (and at the moment, even with the 4 against Bournemouth, it is only one per game, roughly the same as last season).
As for being 15th look at the table, we maybe 15th but we are 1 point off the relegation places and only 4 off the bottom.

We need to prioritise a striker, or at least a regular goalscoring midfielder, or we are going to be in the dogs dooda.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 am

houseboy wrote:We need to prioritise a striker, or at least a regular goalscoring midfielder, or we are going to be in the dogs dooda.
We've scored more goals than at the same time last season.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:49 am

The bottom line is that if we can tighten up the defence we will be fine.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 am

With £25 million to spend, I'd want a deal on a defender who is Ben Mee ++++

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 am

Spijed wrote:We've scored more goals than at the same time last season.
We're on the same goals per game ratio (pretty much) as last season in total and we've shipped twice as many goals. Your point is?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:09 am

Aguero and Harry Kane would struggle playing upfront for us with such poor service. I don't think giving Dyche more money is the answer, it's up to him to use our current resources better. Wood is more than capable of scoring goals at this level if given the service.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 am

houseboy wrote:We're on the same goals per game ratio (pretty much) as last season in total and we've shipped twice as many goals. Your point is?
My point is that it's the defence & midfield that just needs tightening up, not improving our attack.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 am

Spijed wrote:The bottom line is that if we can tighten up the defence we will be fine.
And if we can't?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am

Then we will be in trouble, and the players and the manager have to take the blame.

We were more than fine last year, only they know why they are not as good this season. Its up to them to buck their ideas up.
This user liked this post: houseboy

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am

Last season Burnley should have conceded 54 goals - teams that allow opponents the same number and quality of shots typically concede 54 goals. Burnley conceded 39 - 15 fewer. They got lucky.

This season Burnley conceded 25 goals after 11 games which is about what we should have conceded. A rule of thumb: a team should concede 1 goal for every 10 shots against them. Last season Burnley allowed opponents 15 shots per game. This season we have allowed opponents 21 shots per game. We are defending worse. 25 goals against after 11 games is equivalent to 86 goals against after 38 games. If Burnley allow opponents 21 shots a match for the rest of the season they could concede 86 goals. Only Derby in 2007-2008 have conceded more than 85 goals in a 38 game PL season. However, hopefully Burnley will defend better for the remainder of the season and concede less frequently.

Some interesting thoughts and analysis from Kevin Pullein a football columnist.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am

Spijed wrote:My point is that it's the defence & midfield that just needs tightening up, not improving our attack.
Improving our attack? Mate, we haven't got one to improve just now. When was the last time you ever felt confident once we went behind? Our lack of goals is down to our style of play for sure but if we are going to continue playing that way (and would you bet on us changing - whatever Dyche is or isn't he definitely doesn't change things around very much at all) then we have to get a player who can maximise rare opportunities.

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 am

I agree with an earlier post that the pace/tempo of the PL seems to be gradually increasing and some of our players are having difficulty adjusting (getting caught with the ball too often). Maybe increasing the pace/tempo of our training routines might help? I'm sure some of our most athletic players could adjust and others would struggle.

Imo if we are to 'evolve' into a mid-table PL team playing good quality, entertaining, high tempo possession football then we will need to recruit maybe one player per season in the £25 million quality bracket.

Joe Allen and Jonjo Shelvey would definitely be two players on my own shortlist.