ARTICLE: What would Owld Bob have said and a tale of a suit

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

ARTICLE: What would Owld Bob have said and a tale of a suit

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:17 am

Article from davet

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/what-would- ... -of-a-suit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1048 times

Re: ARTICLE: What would Owld Bob have said and a tale of a suit

Post by CleggHall » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 am

Hits the spot this one Dave, the £5 million payoff to Scudamore is obscene. There must be a half-way house between the days of Owld Bob and today's Premier League?

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1852 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:24 am

As Henry Winter said yesterday on fivelive, whichever side of the argument you're on, the actual way this has been handled has been a PR disaster.

Its a complete disconnect from reality.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:Article from davet

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/what-would- ... -of-a-suit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That could have been written by Bill Bryson at his Best.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Why spoil what would have been an excellent article but for including obscenities in a meaningless conversation from years ago. The obscenities added nothing to the article and could easily have been omitted. I am surprised and disappointed that they were included.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Good article once again, dave, although one of the main points about the 'gift' is that the clubs have not been asked to pay it, hence why there was no vote. It is money from the Central Fund which is where the various amounts paid to the clubs is distributed, therefore, thay can argue that the clubs have not paid this amount because they never received it.
It is the usual story of the PL looking after its own, as it always has done, and which will continue with the hold it has over the FA. Very sad, however, just the way it is with any elitist organisation.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Scudamore at least he only gets £3m and the government gets £2m, they’ll need it the way brexit is going. That is unless he has a Spanish bank account as Pedro Scudamoro

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Included Claret59 because they were part of the quote from the Clough book. Sorry but they made oi larf. A good F word in the right place is part of the English language and literature going back to Chaucer.

The story of the meeting between owld Bob and Stan Ternent to haggle over a price for Paul Fletcher is another fine tale,
but alas includes a few choice obscenities.

Ashington yep I take the point about the central fund but clubs might just have said er hum don't you dare take any money due to us. Burnley however 'supported' the payout. Presumably because Mike Garlick was on the committee that set it up. His next prog notes might be interesting although the club statement did say the club will make no further comment... a handy get-out.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:39 pm

I agree that the clubs could possibly have said something, however, I think that, the way it was presented by Buck, they had to just cough up and shut up!
I await the programme notes with interest, however, as you well know. he won't be the first Chairman to do his thing and not worry about it.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 520 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 pm

A different angle to look at it, the £5m out of the central pot could have saved the PL millions in the long run. Would the chairman be criticised if this was the case?

There's an article from the telegraph doing the circuit about the £5m payment is to prevent Scudamore going to La Liga or NFL which would have had been detrimental to the PL. Gardening leave not a bonus.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... g-la-liga/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 am

An excellent read, thank you, davet. The story of Cloughie's "F-word" made me laugh.

I've always wondered why Vera Lynnn kept singing, "Whale Meat again" - during the War .....

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am

What would Bob Lord have said about the quarter of a million payment to Scudamore?

Well, I guess it's fair to say he would have been seething. But, and it's a big but, he would have privately consoled himself with the fact that the same man was responsible for bringing over £400million into Burnley Football Club over our five seasons in the big league.

Without that income, who knows where we'd be right now.
These 3 users liked this post: NL Claret NL Claret Ashingtonclaret46

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 am

Royboyclaret wrote:What would Bob Lord have said about the quarter of a million payment to Scudamore?
What is this £250,000 payment to Scudamore? The £5m came out of the PL central fund as pointed out by Ashington.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:46 am

NL Claret wrote:What is this £250,000 payment to Scudamore? The £5m came out of the PL central fund as pointed out by Ashington.
Well, in theory, yes it is.

But the PL will argue that the £5m comprises 20 x £250k that now will not be distributed to member clubs.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 am

It always amazes me that people find excuses for writing and using obscene language. The very act of sitting in front of a key board and typing out offensive language that is passed off as amusement and somehow adds to the hilarious content of the article is totally unnecessary. The story being related would have been just as humorous with the offensive content removed. The fact that some on here find it an obligation to use it is baffling.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 am

Royboyclaret wrote:Well, in theory, yes it is.

But the PL will argue that the £5m comprises 20 x £250k that now will not be distributed to member clubs.

I understand all that, the PR / communication around the pay off to Scudamore was the real problem which led to some fans / posters firing from the hip.

I wonder how many cancelled their direct debits like they said they would on the back of Burnley paying £250k to PS?

How many, once they realise it was from a central fund, will buy a Twix or a Bovril on Monday night?

In the grand scheme of things, could paying PS £5m have prevented a £1bn loss to the PL at a later date? What is £1bn divided by 20?

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:31 pm

claret59 wrote:It always amazes me that people find excuses for writing and using obscene language. The very act of sitting in front of a key board and typing out offensive language that is passed off as amusement and somehow adds to the hilarious content of the article is totally unnecessary. The story being related would have been just as humorous with the offensive content removed. The fact that some on here find it an obligation to use it is baffling.
You sound fun, fancy going for a pint sometime?

You need to find something else to worry about if an expletive used to tell a story upsets you as much as this seems to have done. It's a swear word nothing more, nothing less, don't let it bother you.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm

claret59 needs to read a bit of Chaucer, plus Cloughie and bad language go together like pie and mash.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Rodleydave wrote:claret59 needs to read a bit of Chaucer, plus Cloughie and bad language go together like pie and mash.
Can’t believe you think pie and mash go together ;)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Dave Thomas is a fine writer.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:38 pm

A quote is a quote and that is that as far as I am concerned.
I hear far worse from 6 year olds on a regular basis whilst walking around the streets of Ashington, Burnley, Sheffield, Shrewsbury or wherever I happen to be visiting.
Do I like it? No, I do not, however, it is the way of the world and if you approach those using this sort of language you just end up on the receiving end of it.
It is a lack of respect that is the problem because if you have no self-respect then you are not going to have respect for anyone or anything.