Sky update

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Sky update

Post by beddie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:51 am

Recently agreed a new contract and mentioned our sky+ box was faulty, we agreed to have a sky q box and paid £20 for installation plus £10 admin fee. The engineer arrived this a.m. and said as we have a split box (magic eye) in another room allowing us to watch the same programme that's showing on the main tv we would lose the complete working of the other t.v., we would require another box at £12.00 a month,which we declined, the engineer said they should have mentioned or asked if we had a split box, also we were having a sky q (1) box which records 3 and allows you to watch 4. We didn't know there is also sky q (2) which records even more programmes. Again the engineer said they should have mentioned the different boxes ( not that it bothers us). Anyway the engineer confirmed our old sky + was faulty so they've returned the £30.00 and fitted a new sky + box. I wanted to mention this in case you were considering sky q and had the split box system.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Sky update

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:33 am

Sky are very sly. For instance, they randomly added 2 additional charges to my bill, on 2 separate occasions. One of them was regarding the phone, and I don't even have a physical landline! I have the number to get the broadband, that's it. Once, could have been passed off as an error. Twice? Nah. It was done in the hope I wouldn't notice.

I use a Magic Eye as watch a bit of TV each night in bed. It's one of the reasons why I haven't bothered with the Sky Q box. Another is that recording 2 programmes whilst watching something recorded, is plenty.

Another thing, if anybody has a Sky+ box and it seems to not be working, do a hard reset. I thought I had a problem with mine. The engineer came around, did the hard reset and it's been fine since. This is was about 2 years ago.

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 am

I cancelled my Sky subscription 1st week in September, gave them a months notice. I just had the Sports package + broadband + line rental. They put my price up to 83 quid a month thats why I cancelled.

4 weeks ago they rang and offered me the same package for 69 quid which I declined. A few days later they rang again and offered it to me for 53 quid telling me that was their best offer.

Last week they sent me a letter offering the same deal on a 12 month contract for 28 quid!

I think I will accept that!

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am

Targetman wrote:I cancelled my Sky subscription 1st week in September, gave them a months notice. I just had the Sports package + broadband + line rental. They put my price up to 83 quid a month thats why I cancelled.

4 weeks ago they rang and offered me the same package for 69 quid which I declined. A few days later they rang again and offered it to me for 53 quid telling me that was their best offer.

Last week they sent me a letter offering the same deal on a 12 month contract for 28 quid!

I think I will accept that!
My contract has run out, so it's rolling monthly. I'm paying just over £70 for what looks like is the same as you, but I don't want to risk missing out on the football, so might cancel once the season is over - give them the summer to come back to me with a better deal.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 am

It's all become something of a game, cancelling or threatening to and then waiting for the offers to come in. I was offered a Sky Q box recently but I can't see there is any benefit for me in taking that when I just use the Sky on one TV set and use Sky Go on my computer. And in any case, I've got the three Championship wins on my Sky HD box which I don't want to lose.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am

An unnecessarily complex and overpriced product.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:13 am

FactualFrank wrote:Sky are very sly. For instance, they randomly added 2 additional charges to my bill, on 2 separate occasions. One of them was regarding the phone, and I don't even have a physical landline! I have the number to get the broadband, that's it. Once, could have been passed off as an error. Twice? Nah. It was done in the hope I wouldn't notice.

I use a Magic Eye as watch a bit of TV each night in bed. It's one of the reasons why I haven't bothered with the Sky Q box. Another is that recording 2 programmes whilst watching something recorded, is plenty.

Another thing, if anybody has a Sky+ box and it seems to not be working, do a hard reset. I thought I had a problem with mine. The engineer came around, did the hard reset and it's been fine since. This is was about 2 years ago.
What is a 'hard reset'?

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 am

Leisure wrote:What is a 'hard reset'?
It’s like a normal reset but you have to get tattoos, shave your head and wear Doc Martins whilst doing it.
These 6 users liked this post: Bosscat Rick_Muller The Enclosure Leisure spadesclaret Funkydrummer

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:34 am

We had Sky+ and went across to SkyQ. It isn't much better than Sky+. Granted you can record more things at the same time and you have more memory to store programmes but this just means you end up with loads of programmes that you never get round to watching anyway. The multiroom function can be temperamental and not always work - and the only way to get this back is usually to turn on and off your router - which is time and consuming and results in upset when the lad's on his Xbox or the wife's on her iPad. In the end we got rid of it.

When I cancelled I expected the big sell, follow up phone calls, letters etc begging me to come back (we'd had Sky for more than ten years). I was dreading cancelling it because I'd heard they keep you on the phone for more than 45 minutes in some cases. However, I said - "it costs too much" - and the nice Scottish lady went "fair enough" and that was that. I was amazed.

Not missed having it since.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:35 am

FactualFrank wrote:Sky are very sly. For instance, they randomly added 2 additional charges to my bill, on 2 separate occasions. One of them was regarding the phone, and I don't even have a physical landline! I have the number to get the broadband, that's it. Once, could have been passed off as an error. Twice? Nah. It was done in the hope I wouldn't notice.

Interesting that Frank because in the past they have done the hard reset remotely without having to send an engineer. I had an old box a few years ago and it kept freezing and took forever to re-boot after. The reset cleared that but after a couple of times I just got a new box. Never paid for a new box though. Just wondered if things have changed and why they had to send an engineer to do the reset? The remote reset lost all your recordings and settings though.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:54 am

Leisure wrote:What is a 'hard reset'?
I think it's where everything is reset to factory settings. As opposed to just turning it off for a few minutes and then turning it back on.
He did some things with the remote and then it reset, but the downside is I lost all of my recorded programmes. But it solved the problem, which was it kept freezing after an hour or two of viewing.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:02 pm

houseboy wrote:Interesting that Frank because in the past they have done the hard reset remotely without having to send an engineer. I had an old box a few years ago and it kept freezing and took forever to re-boot after. The reset cleared that but after a couple of times I just got a new box. Never paid for a new box though. Just wondered if things have changed and why they had to send an engineer to do the reset? The remote reset lost all your recordings and settings though.
They probably sent one around because I had to pay a call out fee, which they no doubt make a bit of money on too. I don't trust Sky at all, but I can't get Virgin Media where I live, and the service normally works. They're just very unethical.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Stream

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 pm

FactualFrank wrote:They probably sent one around because I had to pay a call out fee, which they no doubt make a bit of money on too. I don't trust Sky at all, but I can't get Virgin Media where I live, and the service normally works. They're just very unethical.
Don't know if they have changed but whenever they offered to send an engineer (at a cost of course) I just say 'no, put me through to cancelations'. Cancelations then organise a free engineer because it is better losing 60 quid or whatever it is these days than losing my 50 quid a month. A bloody shocking company and I can understand why customers who don't like football getting p!ssed off with them because if it wasn't for all the money they give to the PL their fees could me much less than they are.

I would dump them tomorrow because there are so many options now (even though I can't get Virgin either) but my daughter (who is hardly ever at home) likes it and pays half the bill plus her multi-room. If there is one company I would like to see go under it would be Sky, I would be rid of them and football would have to start getting real again.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:28 pm

FactualFrank wrote:They probably sent one around because I had to pay a call out fee, which they no doubt make a bit of money on too. I don't trust Sky at all, but I can't get Virgin Media where I live, and the service normally works. They're just very unethical.
I've got Virgin Media superfast broadband with 200mb speed...that is great! However, I am thinking of switching back to Sky for the TV channels because the VM TV functions are slow and illogical to use.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I've got Virgin Media superfast broadband with 200mb speed...that is great! However, I am thinking of switching back to Sky for the TV channels because the VM TV functions are slow and illogical to use.
When I lived in Burnley, I had Sky TV with Virgin Media broadband. I think that was the best option.

As my contract has run out, I could change broadband suppliers. Something I'll look into.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Cancelled Sky in 2012 and not looked back. I'm not prepared to indirectly line Scudamore's deep pockets.

I'd rather give some of that money to charity or food banks.

Last week, the club took a lot of abuse for "giving" Scudamore £250k, how many of those fans / posters taking pot shots actually subscribe an extortion amount to Sky each month?
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets South West Claret.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 pm

For anybody who is hard wired(co-ax) to a second room the new sky q box doesn’t have a co-ax out socket.
As said above the hard reset takes you back to factory settings. You lose all saved programmes and any “other channels” you may have saved.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:38 pm

NL Claret wrote:Cancelled Sky in 2012 and not looked back. I'm not prepared to indirectly line Scudamore's deep pockets.

I'd rather give some of that money to charity or food banks.

Last week, the club took a lot of abuse for "giving" Scudamore £250k, how many of those fans / posters taking pot shots actually subscribe an extortion amount to Sky each month?

Well said NL Murdoch is very bad news for the vast majority of football fans so please people don’t fund this individuals Companies with your subscriptions.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 980 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:52 pm

I suppose we can only speak as we find but my latest experience with Sky was excellent. I have had the same Sky Box since installation 10 years ago and have never paid a penny in insuring the dish or box. 2 weeks ago the box developed a malfunction making it impossible to record/replay programmes and very difficult to watch Sky at all. When I phoned I was told that it would be £60 for an engineer to visit and an additional £160 if I needed a replacement box. I said it was out of the question and that would result in me cancelling the subscription. He said "hang on a few minutes and let me see what else I can do." He then offered £30 for an engineer to visit and a new box FOC which I accepted.

The engineer was first class, also giving me a new Sky remote FOC and checking and replacing a small part on the dish which could have resulted in a problem if left unattended.

Funnily enough, I had also phoned Sky a few months earlier complaining at the extortionate cost and they quickly found an offer knocking £25 off the monthly bill. I was even told when this offer finishes to give them a call and they will sort out another one to reduce the bill for me.

As I said earlier you can only speak as you find your own experience.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Sky are ok...they invented football.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:09 pm

FactualFrank wrote:My contract has run out, so it's rolling monthly. I'm paying just over £70 for what looks like is the same as you, but I don't want to risk missing out on the football, so might cancel once the season is over - give them the summer to come back to me with a better deal.
You don't really need to cancel. You phone them up and tell them you are thinking of cancelling because you can no longer afford it. They put you through to the Value Team who will ask what can you afford? And then they offer you deals on each bit of your contract to get the bill down.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:You don't really need to cancel. You phone them up and tell them you are thinking of cancelling because you can no longer afford it. They put you through to the Value Team who will ask what can you afford? And then they offer you deals on each bit of your contract to get the bill down.
When did you last try this? As I've read/heard that Sky aren't doing this as much anymore, as they know people are doing it to get a better deal; and so are just allowing people to leave, expecting them to change their mind.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Frank, there is no way that you won’t be offered a decent deal there and then. It’s usua about 50% off, you won’t come close to actually being cut off.

Edit to say that I did it last week.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:19 pm

FactualFrank wrote:When did you last try this? As I've read/heard that Sky aren't doing this as much anymore, as they know people are doing it to get a better deal; and so are just allowing people to leave, expecting them to change their mind.
I did it in September. They were charging £83. Got it down to £67. Saved £16 per month. £67 still a lot but it depends what you like to spend your money on. We don't eat out a lot etc except special occasions but we like our sky.

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:When did you last try this? As I've read/heard that Sky aren't doing this as much anymore, as they know people are doing it to get a better deal; and so are just allowing people to leave, expecting them to change their mind.
I can confirm it works. I did it a couple of weeks back for my mums broadband. Asked to leave, ended up upgrading to fibre optic and getting a tenner knocked off the bill.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Murger wrote:I can confirm it works. I did it a couple of weeks back for my mums broadband. Asked to leave, ended up upgrading to fibre optic and getting a tenner knocked off the bill.
But didn't you then need to sign a new 18 month contract?
How long are your savings for? As they sometimes give you a discount for the first 6-12 months but then it goes up again.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:56 pm

The discount is usually for the length of the contract.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by ChrisG » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:00 am

FactualFrank wrote:But didn't you then need to sign a new 18 month contract?
How long are your savings for? As they sometimes give you a discount for the first 6-12 months but then it goes up again.
I spoke to someone at Sky on the chat thing on the website on Tuesday. Got my monthly payment down from £95 to £64, exact same package I'm on now. Had to sign up for 18 months, but the deal lasts the duration of the contract so it just saves me having to go through the process again for another 18 months.

sleeperclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by sleeperclaret » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:27 pm

I phoned them a couple of weeks ago and upgraded to Sky Q for £20 upfront. They gave me the Netflix upgrade and multi room effectively for free. A few days later I saw the black Friday deal was a free 43" UHD TV so I called and got that for free too. Happy with that.