England v Australia ... Rugby

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

England v Australia ... Rugby

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 am

I know there's a fair few followers of the oval ball game on here, and the last of the Autumn Internationals is this Saturday, with England playing Australia for the Cook Cup ...
A mixed bag for England so far, with a one point win over South Africa, a controversial one point defeat to the All Blacks, and a comfortable but unconvincing win by 20 points over Japan ...

I'm going for a narrow win, by 5 points to England. I'll be supporting the game at a local level, with friends sponsoring a table at Blackburn Rugby Club at home to Firwood Waterloo. There are a surprising number of Clarets supporters there, as it's a somewhat higher standard than Burnley RUFC ( formerly Calder Vale ). In particular, four of us have collectively taken a " Dog's abuse " for the past 40 odd years for our affiliation, although over the past 6/7 years, the Rovers fans haven't seem too keen to discuss the round ball game...

The best seat in the House at Twickenham is now £ 179 for this game ( excluding any hospitality ), and I saw two tickets for the All Blacks game on " Stub-Hub " priced at £1,800 the pair ... ;) ;)

Wirvine
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: England v Australia ... Rugby

Post by Wirvine » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:36 am

Australia have been playing poorly for the passed couple of years now. They have three things going for them though: The support that they have been giving Cheika, the consistency that brings and the morale within the group. I am afraid it will turn around soon. The Aussies love playing at Twickers and that might be where it turned round.

SLSC

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:20 am

Clarets4me wrote:
I'm going for a narrow win, by 5 points to England. I'll be supporting the game at a local level, with friends sponsoring a table at Blackburn Rugby Club at home to Firwood Waterloo. There are a surprising number of Clarets supporters there, as it's a somewhat higher standard than Burnley RUFC ( formerly Calder Vale ). In particular, four of us have collectively taken a " Dog's abuse " for the past 40 odd years for our affiliation, although over the past 6/7 years, the Rovers fans haven't seem too keen to discuss the round ball game...
I'll be at Blackburn rugby club too, though I'll be stood on pitch B looking after the 2s as I do every Saturday. I've always kept my football allegiances to myself at the club bar turning up at training on the coldest of nights in my Burnley bobble hat, 7 or 8 years ago it used to get a rise, not so much anymore.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Caballo wrote:I'll be at Blackburn rugby club too, though I'll be stood on pitch B looking after the 2s as I do every Saturday. I've always kept my football allegiances to myself at the club bar turning up at training on the coldest of nights in my Burnley bobble hat, 7 or 8 years ago it used to get a rise, not so much anymore.
Does your other half have a connection to a Black Horse, by any chance ?

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:58 pm

As per stated above, Oz have been at a low ebb for a couple of years but they still have a few very good players and seem to have turned the corner + tend to raise their game when they play England here. I cant see this being a foregone conclusion home win - especially given England's injuries and stuttering performances.

One time, I'd probably have been at this one but prices have got ridiculous lately. I used to get to 2/3 England games per year spread over Autumn Internationals and 6 nations but when the decent tickets hit £100 I decided I wouldn't bother any more. I hope it's not a sell out and the reconsider their pricing policy (doubt it though).

I'll watch on TV - along with 30 mins of Scotland v Argies beforehand & then Wales v SA afterwards. I'll punt on England by 1-5 points & Wales by 1-5 points, hopefully all decent games with a few tries.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:10 pm

LeadBelly wrote:As per stated above, Oz have been at a low ebb for a couple of years but they still have a few very good players and seem to have turned the corner + tend to raise their game when they play England here. I cant see this being a foregone conclusion home win - especially given England's injuries and stuttering performances.

One time, I'd probably have been at this one but prices have got ridiculous lately. I used to get to 2/3 England games per year spread over Autumn Internationals and 6 nations but when the decent tickets hit £100 I decided I wouldn't bother any more. I hope it's not a sell out and the reconsider their pricing policy (doubt it though).

I'll watch on TV - along with 30 mins of Scotland v Argies beforehand & then Wales v SA afterwards. I'll punt on England by 1-5 points & Wales by 1-5 points, hopefully all decent games with a few tries.
I went against Japan last week, up in the gods for about £35, and it was a sell-out. The other Autumn internationals didn't even get offered on general sale so I can't see any chance that the prices will change (other than upwards).

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Does your other half have a connection to a Black Horse, by any chance ?
You clearly have me at a disadvantage Clarets4me.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Caballo wrote:You clearly have me at a disadvantage Clarets4me.
Playing contemporaries were Messrs: Bradford, Bullen, Scott Foster, Mr Chairman & our current " Chef Patron " himself.

Mrs Cabello will guess, I suspect ! " Tall, dark, not very handsome ... lovely wife ", that should do it ! ;)

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:42 pm

How times have changed. It will be 48 years ago in December that I first went to Twickenham rugby stadium as a student working in the many bars around the ground for the annual Oxford/Cambridge Varsity game. I was still 18 years old, drinking as much as I was serving and watching as much of the game as I could from the old North Stand. Worked there on many internationals over the next three years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute especially when France were at headquarters and I was able to converse with them and make them feel welcome.
A fantastic stadium now but it's somehow lost some of it's soul for me and when I read that a ticket for the weekend is costing the better part of £200 it just reinforces my view. I wonder how many Watney Party4's or Party 7's could have been bought for that.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:55 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:How times have changed. It will be 48 years ago in December that I first went to Twickenham rugby stadium as a student working in the many bars around the ground for the annual Oxford/Cambridge Varsity game. I was still 18 years old, drinking as much as I was serving and watching as much of the game as I could from the old North Stand. Worked there on many internationals over the next three years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute especially when France were at headquarters and I was able to converse with them and make them feel welcome.
A fantastic stadium now but it's somehow lost some of it's soul for me and when I read that a ticket for the weekend is costing the better part of £200 it just reinforces my view. I wonder how many Watney Party4's or Party 7's could have been bought for that.
EEL PIE Island could be a better option... Or maybe it's now history.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Spent many happy times in Twickenham on the banks of the Thames drinking at The Barmy Arms, especially on Summer evenings when life was so much simpler. Pete Townshend from The Who lived just around the corner and across the way from Eel Pie Island and Joe Jagger,dad of Mick was a much loved lecturer of ours. Getting misty eyed just reflecting on that golden era.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 am

Army v Navy will be my next trip to Twickenham. Admittedly the match plays second fiddle to a mega day on the lash....!

Good to see Blackburn RUFC still has a few clarets! My bro played there for years, and I’ve made a few cheeky appearances over the years.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 am

box_of_frogs wrote:Army v Navy will be my next trip to Twickenham. Admittedly the match plays second fiddle to a mega day on the lash....!
Good to see Blackburn RUFC still has a few clarets! My bro played there for years, and I’ve made a few cheeky appearances over the years.
Now you've got me wondering !! Any clues ?

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:How times have changed. It will be 48 years ago in December that I first went to Twickenham rugby stadium as a student working in the many bars around the ground for the annual Oxford/Cambridge Varsity game. I was still 18 years old, drinking as much as I was serving and watching as much of the game as I could from the old North Stand. Worked there on many internationals over the next three years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute especially when France were at headquarters and I was able to converse with them and make them feel welcome.
I go fairly regularly and agree. Ticket prices aside (and for this scarcity adds a big factor) a big reason is how spectators are treated. Yes, for the size of the ground the surrounds are not suited to the sheer volumes on match days but the main roads in the vicinity are rarely closed leading to big uncomfortable over crowding around the streets. Would closure for 45mins before and after the game really hurt? In the ground, the building work has been a hotch potch of additions and it is difficult to locate seating easily. The toilet queues are a nightmare (entrances too narrow) and to add insult to injury they now have a plastic glass system which masquerades as a souvenir - so an extra £1 for every pint bought. You can no longer return them to the bars from which you acquired - but to a tiny kiosk after the game with another queue a mile long. That's not treating your punters with respect. That's just a money making exercise.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Some interesting comments on this thread.
Silkyskills.. I believe the Barmy Arms is still there..as is the Fox, the Eel Pie pub and the White Swan.. they are all in the same area. I believe the Cabbage Patch is now the Webb Ellis.
The Prince Albert ( think I’ve got that right) is still there on Twickenham Green.
I’m a bit out of touch with Twickenham pubs as we go to Richmond usually - the Sun, the Orange Tree, the Old Ship, the Waterman’s, the ( wonderful) Turks Head, the St Margaret’s Tavern and the Ailsa are the popular rugby pubs that I’m familiar with.
Always a great atmosphere on match days, never seen a punch thrown in anger.. ( well, apart from on the pitch).
I went to England vs All Blacks a fortnight back - great match got very wet though.
My ticket had £194 printed on it.. ( no hospitality).
I didn’t pay for it, I was given it - just extortionate.
They didn’t all cost that, but every seat was taken.
If I had to buy my own tickets, I would not pay over £70 so I would never go..

Two pints would cost £14 with £2 returned when you took the ‘plastic glass’ back ( some kids making an absolute fortune after the match).

Pete Townsend has a big house on Richmond Hill (opposite the Roebuck pub) with one of the best views in London from his back window.
Home games in 2019 Six Nations are Italy Scotland and France - which means two very tough away games.

England vs Australia tomorrow... should be a good one though both sides have plenty of injuries.
Australia have just announced that David Pocock ( number eight) will miss the match because of a neck injury sustained last Saturday - good news for England that because he is a formidable player..

I reckon 27-16 to us tomorrow.

Five other matches tomorrow, the pick of which are..
Wales vs South Africa
Scotland vs Argentina.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Remember the White Swan was just a few hundred yards or so along from the Barmy Arms. Funnily enough, the Cabbage Patch which was the nearest pub to the stadium I never went in. Wouldn't have been for want of trying but for some reason or other never bothered. Had some great times in Richmond,too and a pub I distinctly remember was at the top of the hill after crossing Richmond Bridge. It was called The Castle then but of course it could be anything now. Wonderful part of the world, wonderful era, great memories and friends but sadly a time long gone.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:10 pm

This is my backyard these days. Twickenham traffic - I don't know if they close the main road, A316, passing thru Twickenham on match days - but, if you try to use it you should expect to be delayed for at least 1 hour each way.

Australian team are staying (and training) at sports club near where I live, Japan and All Blacks were there before their two games.

Major rebuild going on around/above Twickenham rail station - I think it's flats they are building above the tracks.

Tickets to Barbars games are always reasonably priced and the Varsity, if you want to see inside the stadium when there's a game on. I used to be on the corporate circuit - but that's now 10 years or more in the past.

LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:14 pm

As per Hampstead, I think the loss of Pocock is a big blow for Oz's chances, he's a real top class player (Hooper is a v good back row too though). Genia is better than any 9 we have I think (and winning his 100th cap tomorrow); Foley is a very steady kicker too. It's said (maybe a smokescreen) that they've also had some stomach bug in their camp this week -so things are stacked against them to a fair degree.

I was thinking of a bet on England to win by 1-5 but with the Pocock news, think I'll go 6-10 . I'll stick with Wales by 1-5 in the 17.20 kick off in Cardiff.
Argentina should give Scotland a decent game but Italy v ABs, Ireland v USA and France v Fiji are nailed on big wins.

I don't think I'll be venturing too far from the TV tomorrow with the cricket from Sri Lanka early and then all the rugby (and Ladies T20 final at 24.00 to finish the day).
I can get myself out in the fresh air for London Irish v Bedford at the Madejski on Sunday.

box_of_frogs

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Now you've got me wondering !! Any clues ?
Bro is JB. ;)

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:38 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:Bro is JB. ;)
Unless your surname is a financial institution, it may well be after my time .... ( 1979-1994 )

box_of_frogs

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Yeah - after.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:12 pm

That explains it .... here's hoping for three home wins, tomorrow at Ramsgreave and Twickenham, and Monday on the Turf !

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Ian Robertson does his last commentary this afternoon in the England vs Australia match - ‘ and Johnny Wilkinson kicks for World Cup glory’..what a moment. IR has done a great job since Bill McLaren hung up his microphone, and he will be missed.

Wall to Wall TV rugby this afternoon..

2.00 BBC 1 Scotland v Argentina
5.00 BBC 2 Wales v South Africa
6.10 Ch 4 Ireland v USA
7.30 BBC 2 England v Australia (h’lights)

* 3.00 England v Australia - live on Sky

It’s gonna be interesting... think they’ll need plenty of ice-packs down in Cardiff this afternoon.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Caballo wrote:You clearly have me at a disadvantage Clarets4me.
Great day all round, Cabello, 2 home wins, a good lunch with friends for me, and England win as well !! :D

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Great win for Wales against the Springboks 4 out of 4 in the Autumn internationals,and an impressive victory for Fiji in Paris.

Decent 2nd half from England but still work to improve before the World Cup.

Wirvine

Post by Wirvine » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Going to be interesting to see if Cheika survives a sixth consecutive defeat at the hands of England. I have to say that I am amazed how well the Aussie press has reacted to the defeat.

LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:59 pm

I've only just caught up with the France v Fiji game; terrific effort by Fiji and 2 excellent tries. The French tries were basically forward rumbles from close in. The French used to be known for flowing back movements but they seem to have lost that & are a bit in the doldrums nationally despite (maybe because of) the money in their clubs.

Cheika is getting a fair bit of criticism in Oz but it's going to be brave to axe him now and get somebody else in to start building for the WC in Japan. I think they'll stick, they do usually get themselves up for World Cup action & still have a smattering of class players.

Roll on February for the 6 nations.

Wirvine

Post by Wirvine » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:39 am

Not sure which part of the Australian press you are looking at LB. From where I sit in NSW Cheika has got off remarkably well so far.