Change IS needed!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Change IS needed!

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:46 pm

I find it hard to pinpoint exactly what would positively change is back to a hard to beat solid Premier League team. In my opinion there are a few issues and rather than just pointing them out I'll try to offer an alternative.

Joe Hart. I have previously said he has been our best player some of his saves have been amazing however he has no command of his area. Tonight there was a few times where he could have been out and claimed the ball. The Richie miss being one. Sorry Joe but get Heats or Pope in.

Defour. Needs to be used in an attacking way. Most of the time he received the ball today was in line with the back four. He has the ability to unlock a defence with the right players around him bringing me to the next.

Wood-Vokes. Dont play them together. For most of that first half it was like having a pair of statues upfront. I'd like to put a speedometer on them to see what there max speed was in that first half it was painful to watch. Vokes came good with the header wood couldn't hit a barn door. Needed Vydra mid way through the second half....

Subs. 70 minutes in Brady, Cork and Defour looked dead on there feet. They had put alot in and Dyche needs to be on the ball 80min subs is too late.

Brady. looked badly off pace and lost the ball more than keeping it. Coming back from injury it can be forgiven but Dyche should have hooked him earlier.

Sloppy Defending. Newcastle had far to many clear chances because of lax lazy defending when we could have dealt with it early. Someone needs to fire a rocket up them. Mee does shout but not sure it's enough Heaton maybe would do this.

Taylor. Hard one I like him he does some really good things but seems too laid back. When he was tracking back when they hit the post you can see him drastically increase pace once the ball was played meaning he could have got himself into position to prevent the shot. Think this could be sorted on a coaching level but I want Ward back soon as until it does.

Lennon. What has happened to this lad? Never seen a winger move so fast back towards his own goal yet not offer any pace going forward. He was rapid on the cover but showed nothing attacking them. Is this down to coaching and tactics?

Feel free to tear this apart or add your own. Just needed to offload :o :D

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: Change IS needed!

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Don’t think you missed much.
Other than strikers missing guilt edged chances.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Tired lazy passing. No shape no overlapping on the wingers

Newcastle won every 2nd ball and had so much space Nd should have scored 5

Dyche out

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Some good points and i agree about the 'keeper

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Can't argue with any of that.

Heaton for Hart is the first step.

We lack attacking ideas, Defour further up the pitch would help. Missed JBG tonight.

Game cried out for Wood to be replaced, Vydra playing off Sam could work.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretRock k90bfc

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 pm

I won’t tear that apart.

The Hart debate will rage on, some think he craps golden nuggets but I am not a fan. He has no command of his area and people can understandably point at the defence, but he has conceded the most goals in this league. I feel the defence have very little faith in him as they did in Pope last season and are not handling the change in style of keeper. That’s not me absolving Mee/Tarky of Blame as they’ve been terrible, but Pope commanded that area and grabbed everything.

I am struggling to think of Hart jumping and grabbing a difficult ball once this entire season. He makes the odd camera save, but the stats speak for themselves - we are leaky as anything and he has been the biggest change in there.

Poor, poor signing which has upset the applecart more than Dyche could have ever dreamed.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm

Wood is so **** it’s actually funny
This user liked this post: thatdberight

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:57 pm

Organisation and work rate as a minimum is what our success has been built upon under Dyche sadly this is nowhere to be seen at the moment. Honestly can’t see where a win is going to come from at the moment.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:57 pm

For Palace-Heaton,Gibson, Barnes to start, Hendrick and JBG hopefully if fit
This user liked this post: k90bfc

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Tired lazy passing. No shape no overlapping on the wingers

Newcastle won every 2nd ball and had so much space Nd should have scored 5

Dyche out

Agree with lazy passing. Which resulted in most of there chances. Don't think they won every second ball but Diame was causing alot of problems and was wining alot for them. Brady ducked out of a couple of challenges but maybe just coming back from injury is on his mind.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:05 pm

warksclaret wrote:For Palace-Heaton,Gibson, Barnes to start, Hendrick and JBG hopefully if fit
Not a chance he will make those changes.

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:07 pm

jedi_master wrote:I won’t tear that apart.

The Hart debate will rage on, some think he craps golden nuggets but I am not a fan. He has no command of his area and people can understandably point at the defence, but he has conceded the most goals in this league. I feel the defence have very little faith in him as they did in Pope last season and are not handling the change in style of keeper. That’s not me absolving Mee/Tarky of Blame as they’ve been terrible, but Pope commanded that area and grabbed everything.

I am struggling to think of Hart jumping and grabbing a difficult ball once this entire season. He makes the odd camera save, but the stats speak for themselves - we are leaky as anything and he has been the biggest change in there.

Poor, poor signing which has upset the applecart more than Dyche could have ever dreamed.
Hart hasn't grabbed a difficult ball his whole career. He has made his name on his shot stopping ability. He has kept us in games this season but Heaton could offer about more command over the back four. Thought Tarks started the season ok but picked up an injury and started making mistakes. Glad he is getting it sorted. Meet started the season poorly (also looked injured) but looks to be putting in much better perfomances. His oggy aside today I thought he played well.
This user liked this post: Longsidebogs

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Organisation and work rate as a minimum is what our success has been built upon under Dyche sadly this is nowhere to be seen at the moment. Honestly can’t see where a win is going to come from at the moment.
Those who were calling out to replace Boyd and Arfield might be wishing for them back. Yeh they are not the same class of player on the ball as JBG, Lennon, Brady but we never seem to have the ball and the work those boys did off the ball was the reason we were hard to beat.

Edit I'll add Marney and Barton to this as they both worked there arses off in the middle too.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Arfield was certainly more of a threat than Lennon has shown in a claret shirt.
These 4 users liked this post: jedi_master Longsidebogs Stayingup thatdberight

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Heaton back in for Hart for me as a start
This user liked this post: k90bfc

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Arfield was certainly more of a threat than Lennon has shown in a claret shirt.
I do have to say, Scott Arfield would improve this team. That is a sad state of affairs (no disrespect to Scotty intended there).

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Dyche has already gone.

Or is it just the thread? :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:36 pm

Money is needed in January. We need taller stronger midfielders and pace up front. I think SD has enough of credit left he knows this isn't good enough he just needs to be more proactive in games.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 pm

Change has been needed for the last 3 months.

We lack so much.

Front players, and wide players too static.

Midfield out numbered and because of the static front men no options for a positive out ball.

No leaders. It's easy to play when things are going well, when they aren't you need the leaders to set the example and lift those around them. We have nobody in that mould.

Technically we are really poor, yet we don't start JBG or Hendrick, 2 of our more gifted players. Barnes is technically a far better player than Vokes. Vydra considering the role he normally operates, has to be better technically than Wood or Vokes.

SDs inability, or unwillingness, to accept that we have a problem. I don't like managers that publicly diss their own players, but I hope to god he is chucking the hair dryer in the changing room or at Barnfield.

Lastly Jack Cork. As a forward or winger you get away with a bad game, as a centre midfielder your mistakes are normally costly, whether that's giving the ball away or failing to pick out telling passes going forward. He's had a terrible run yet is hung out to dry every week by SD. He needs dropping for his own sake.

The solution isn't easy, it's probably already too late, but I would pick my best XI, which has to include the best technical players, and play them every week, regardless of results, until they start to play like a team, because at the moment we are anything but.
This user liked this post: CatonClaret

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Cork did have a bad couple of games but think he has played well last 2 games.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 am

ClaretRock wrote:Cork did have a bad couple of games but think he has played well last 2 games.
Haha very funny.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:03 am

No need to change anything. Let’s carry on playing with two big dollopers up front and then hoofing balls up to them from the back/deep, there’s always a chance one big hoof may land on one of their heads. Plus, let’s carry on playing with a so-called pacy winger, who is brilliant at running backwards to his own goals and making backward passes. Let’s carry on with a midfield, which can pass sideways brilliantly, but unfortunately hasn’t got a clue about defending. Let’s carry on with a defence, which at the moment looks shell shocked and lost. Seriously, I don’t know what the answers are, but more worryingly, I don’t think the management does. We are in the shoit lads.

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 am

Vino blanco wrote:No need to change anything. Let’s carry on playing with two big dollopers up front and then hoofing balls up to them from the back/deep, there’s always a chance one big hoof may land on one of their heads. Plus, let’s carry on playing with a so-called pacy winger, who is brilliant at running backwards to his own goals and making backward passes. Let’s carry on with a midfield, which can pass sideways brilliantly, but unfortunately hasn’t got a clue about defending. Let’s carry on with a defence, which at the moment looks shell shocked and lost. Seriously, I don’t know what the answers are, but more worryingly, I don’t think the management does. We are in the shoit lads.
Whopper :roll:

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:18 am

Ben Mee would be first left out for me. He's hopeless with the ball yet sees so much of it because the opposition know how bad he is. How may times does he play the pass behind the full back. He's so ponderous that by the time he's decided what to do, the chance to attack has gone.

Hendrick should be in for Cork or play a proper 3 in there and allow Brady and Lennon to get closer to the front man rather than standing on the full backs toes.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:18 am

Have to agree with most comments and change is needed but not sure
what those changes should be and possibly more worringly I'm not sure Dyche does.

Must admit was surprised when saw the team especially with both Wood and Vokes up front.

Wood had two or three half chances and one very good chance in the second half but we
just didn't create enough clear chances and reverted to high balls into the area virtually all the time.
Most of the time Newcastle dealt with those relatively easily and they seem to have
players available to pick up the balls and counter attack with relative ease.
It seems as if Dyche doesn't want to start with Vydra nor even bring him on.
Defour and Brady may need more time but isn't working but Defour in a two man midfield
isn't either.
There aren't too many options for Dyche at present and he seems reluctant to
change things so it's difficult to see what changes he can make as we lack movement and pace.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:23 am

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 am

I can't help but feel we just need to go back to what we know. We are missing a voice and a prescence in the middle without doubt.

Bringing Tom back would give everyone a lift. Hart has been good, and has played well, but it feels like the rest of the team don't trust him, dropping deeper etc. There's a lot of mental aspects to the game.

Anyone believing swapping the manager would make a difference is wrong. Whoever came in would be dealing with same turgid, paceless squad we have - at least Dyche gets the best from them.
This user liked this post: ClaretRock

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 am

jurek wrote:Have to agree with most comments and change is needed but not sure
what those changes should be and possibly more worringly I'm not sure Dyche does.

Must admit was surprised when saw the team especially with both Wood and Vokes up front.

Wood had two or three half chances and one very good chance in the second half but we
just didn't create enough clear chances and reverted to high balls into the area virtually all the time.
Most of the time Newcastle dealt with those relatively easily and they seem to have
players available to pick up the balls and counter attack with relative ease.
It seems as if Dyche doesn't want to start with Vydra nor even bring him on.
Defour and Brady may need more time but isn't working but Defour in a two man midfield
isn't either.
There aren't too many options for Dyche at present and he seems reluctant to
change things so it's difficult to see what changes he can make as we lack movement and pace.
I was surprised with Wood and Vokes too Vydra would be the obvious partner for these 2 but Dyche doesn't seem to want to put anyone under 6ft up top. He needs to make some tough choices over the next few games I hope he can turn it around. Starting to feel like fans are already forgetting where we came from and are turning on players and manager far too quickly. Atmosphere at the end of the game stank.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 am

ClaretRock wrote:Dyche doesn't seem to want to put anyone under 6ft up top
I think you’ve sussed his tactics up front

“Right. All the strikers, stand in a line, height order. You two at the end, well done. You start”

I’ve checked Wikipedia too:
Wood 6’3”
Vokes 6’2”
Barnes 6’0”
Vydra 5’11”
Wells 3’2”
Walters 1’11”
Hennings 0’1”
This user liked this post: ClaretRock

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Yes change is needed but not a change of manager, money needs to be spent on quality players in January, it wont be SDs fault if the board dont give him money to do so, given a few million quid this amazing man will keep us in the PL, at least the board can do is give him chance to buy players of decent class, they owe him that much at the very least.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:26 pm

moaninclaret wrote:Yes change is needed but not a change of manager, money needs to be spent on quality players in January, it wont be SDs fault if the board dont give him money to do so, given a few million quid this amazing man will keep us in the PL, at least the board can do is give him chance to buy players of decent class, they owe him that much at the very least.
Spent all of this summer chasing after Rodriguez and Dawson, hardly inspires confidence. He’s the only manager that acts like Brexit has already happened. However the first thing he needs to do is replace Fart with Heaton, small steps and all that.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm

IAmAClaret wrote:I can't help but feel we just need to go back to what we know. We are missing a voice and a prescence in the middle without doubt.

Bringing Tom back would give everyone a lift. Hart has been good, and has played well, but it feels like the rest of the team don't trust him, dropping deeper etc. There's a lot of mental aspects to the game.

Anyone believing swapping the manager would make a difference is wrong. Whoever came in would be dealing with same turgid, paceless squad we have - at least Dyche gets the best from them.
I disagree with this I think that we do have players who are capable of playing football. I get the feeling the likes of Defour, Lennon and JBG would relish getting more freedom to play and the shackles being removed. To me our better players look completely fed up with the way they're being asked to play.

texasbrit
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by texasbrit » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Be interesting to see if the player's attitude changes with the reappointment of Heaton as the No1 GK

Can't help thinking our apparent frailties are a direct result of behind the scenes issues in the dressing room.

Hart come across as an arrogant so and so, been there done it, I am better than you attitude, and he's not that good a keeper in my opinion

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:20 pm

After my analysis from last night's game the following two could do a job for us. Just to add I've decided on Jay because his game, especially his positional play has improved so much we were crying out for his skills last night. Chester has got that nasty bit of quality that we lack.
James Chester
Jay Rod

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Dead right Claretrock 80 min subs. Far too late. I feel sorry for Barnes he ended up with a maximum of 13 minutes on the pitch. Should have been on at 60 mins.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:17 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I disagree with this I think that we do have players who are capable of playing football. I get the feeling the likes of Defour, Lennon and JBG would relish getting more freedom to play and the shackles being removed. To me our better players look completely fed up with the way they're being asked to play.
This. Not sure they are buying into what Dyche is telling them.
As an example Lennon does a defensive job but offers nothing going forward. This isnt his game. He's being told to do a job that he isn't natural at although he is trying to do it.You can't have such ineffective wingers ( in the creativity stakes ) without having overlapping full backs putting decent crosses in. The latter isnt happening either. Taylor's crossing was awful last night. The whole set up on a matchday is mind numbingly predictable. This isn't something that will change if Dyche is given £20 million in the window.