Just to clear a few things up

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Re: Just to clear a few things up

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:57 pm

boatshed bill wrote:A championship team playing championship football.
I would be unhappy to play like that in the Championship, it would see us flirt with relegation again.
The most frustrating thing is, its the basics we are getting wrong. Schoolboy stuff that should be easily coached out of them. The problem is SD doesn't appear to accept that we have a problem, at least not in public.
He's been quoted as saying we have a team full of leaders :shock:

Like alcoholism, you can't fix it until you accept its a problem.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I thought Long played well, but I'm also of the opinion that Rondon is absolutely useless and last night did nothing to dispel that.
He was the reason that Newcastle weren’t out of sight attacking us on the break. He was so slow in processing the ball when we lost it during an attack that they barely had a chance to add to their score. I think he’d gone off by the time they hit the post. A good counter-attacking team would have buried us last night.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Newcastle had 11 men behind the ball for 80 minutes we have never been able to break teams down that do this which is why our win ratio is poor when we conceded first
Well, we broke them down a few times but didn't take our chances, notably Wood (if he could shoot either side of the goalkeeper instead of at him he could have had a hattrick).

Generally, I thought we could have won the game, and Newcastle could have won it by more. The best bit of football was when they hit the post. The rest was rather mediocre for a Premier League match.

Indeed, I thought this was a pretty entertaining game.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Lennon had done little since his arrival and yet his place seems assured. He has the pace to worry any full back and yet never even tries to use it. I would even think about playing him as a second striker when Gudmunsson is back simply to utilise his pace and give us another option. Playing Wood and Vokes up together is pointless unless the team attempts to cross the ball from dangerous positions eg the by line. Last night was a game made for Barnes and yet his appearance was predictably last minute and would someone explain to me what Hendrick was meant to do the Defour couldn't whilst leaving Vydra twiddling his thumbs again.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:58 pm

It perhaps needs to be remembered that it was something of a 'fluke' own goal that was the difference between the two teams although it has to be conceded that Newcastle missed an absolute 'sitter' and struck a post. The clarets too had several chances that with a bit more steadiness could have been converted.
I thought we were well on top leading up to half time and Vokes great header. The half time break came at a bad time for us and a good time for them as we were unable to capitalise on the momentum we had built up prior to the break.
We were not as bad as some on here are stating and even played some good stuff (in patches.) I agree that Lennon seems to be playing to a plan that does not include getting forward as a winger should but perhaps not his fault if he is only doing as instructed, but he was well marshalled for most of the game and not able to do much else but pass backwards.
I think too much was expected of the return of Defour and Brady as though there would be a instant improvement. Brady seemed wary of being injured again and Defour has yet to get up to previous levels having been out for such a long period.