Adamson Out, Mullen Out, Casper Out, Now its Sean Out!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Adamson Out, Mullen Out, Casper Out, Now its Sean Out!

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:43 am

Does any other fans turn against their managers as quickly as we do?

We are as bad, if not worse, than all the other team's fans that we condescendingly sneer at, calling them plastic and unrealistic.

Take a good look at yourselves. 6 years of hard work from Sean, some ups, one down and my kids have seen success that I could only have dreamed of. Yes its a bad start, but lets get real.

We need a good transfer window with the new guy, and we need some good old fashioned grit and determination. Something that is lacking from some of the posters on here.

Sean is the best thing to ever happen to us. He needs our support now, not this constant sniping. He knows its not good enough. He knows we are struggling. Give him time and our support and backing.
These 9 users liked this post: South West Claret. RalphCoatesComb Cubanclaret BertiesBeehole Bosscat Wilf Mbanga evensteadiereddie ClaretnGreen Stalbansclaret

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Adamson Out, Mullen Out, Casper Out, Now its Sean Out!

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am

Quickly? He's been here years and this is the first time it's really gotten this vocal.

Look at where we are, in comparison to prior, with the money we have at out disposal.

That's why.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy cockneyclaret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am

Burnley fans have been very loyal to Dyche. Remember he has relegation on his cv with us and I heard nothing but support for him to stay.
Jimmy Mullen was shown to much loyalty by the club and fans alike, if he have had stayed another 12 months I guarantee we would have had another Orient on our hands.
Jimmy Adamson was shafted by Bob Lord

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 am

Chip Harrison wrote:Does any other fans turn against their managers as quickly as we do?

We are as bad, if not worse, than all the other team's fans that we condescendingly sneer at, calling them plastic and unrealistic.

Take a good look at yourselves. 6 years of hard work from Sean, some ups, one down and my kids have seen success that I could only have dreamed of. Yes its a bad start, but lets get real.

We need a good transfer window with the new guy, and we need some good old fashioned grit and determination. Something that is lacking from some of the posters on here.

Sean is the best thing to ever happen to us. He needs our support now, not this constant sniping. He knows its not good enough. He knows we are struggling. Give him time and our support and backing.
Didn’t he say we had gotten over Europe ,maybe he should take a good look at himself and his underperforming players

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:51 am

Couldn't agree more. We've been caught flat-footed this year, and never really recovered from Europe. But there's definitely money in the kitty. Midfield is a target. LET'S SPEND SOME CASH!

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 am

Our p!ss poor Transfer Windows are finally catching up with us. We had a great opportunity to push the Team on over the summe(having known that were were staying up from about the turn of the New Year) but we(yet again) completely ballsed it up. Failure to prepare, and all that. We haven’t actually improved the Team in the past 12 months. Dych has to take his fair share of this.
He also has to take all the blame for his terrible tactics this time around. Last night, in what was one of our winnable games, he appeared to set up not to lose. If this carries on, make no mistake, we will be relegated. We are, thus far, one of the worst teams in the League; of that there is no doubt.
These 6 users liked this post: IndigoLake Enola Gay Silkyskills1 JohnDearyMe Top Claret cockneyclaret

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am

Chip Harrison wrote:Does any other fans turn against their managers as quickly as we do?

All things considered..and I do mean "all things'' it's SD in for the foreseeable future in my view.

Lordlucan
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Lordlucan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 am

Couldn't agree more.

Just hope that those who want him out never, ever complain when a successful manager walks out on us. Loyalty works both ways in good times and bad. You've got to look at the project. You've also got to look at the alternatives (and I can't see any obvious ones). Boring it may be, but our recent success is all about fine margins - that is all that separates us from PNE and countless others. It's also about identity. I'm not bothered about supporting a premier league franchise team with a player and manager merrygoround.
These 4 users liked this post: South West Claret. RalphCoatesComb Chip Harrison evensteadiereddie

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 am

Nonsense. 6 years and not a peep from anyone about wanting him out until very recently. I'm not sure I want him to go but I can understand why some might.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:06 am

Lordlucan wrote:Couldn't agree more.

Just hope that those who want him out never, ever complain when a successful manager walks out on us. Loyalty works both ways in good times and bad. You've got to look at the project. You've also got to look at the alternatives (and I can't see any obvious ones). Boring it may be, but our recent success is all about fine margins - that is all that separates us from PNE and countless others. It's also about identity. I'm not bothered about supporting a premier league franchise team with a player and manager merrygoround.
Spot on LL..incidentally you can come back now if you wish :D
This user liked this post: tim_noone

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:07 am

Fickle Burnley fans?? Who'd of thunk it?!

Get a grip!

Sean Dyche is the best thing that has happened to this Club in a Racoon's Age !

The team, and Dyche, need your support, not fickle keyboard warriors calling for his head!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:07 am

ontario claret wrote:Couldn't agree more. We've been caught flat-footed this year, and never really recovered from Europe. But there's definitely money in the kitty. Midfield is a target. LET'S SPEND SOME CASH!
Europe is just an excuse because he dropped most of the first team for it (which I still think may be at the root of the problem). And we need a striker not midfielders, or at least a striker if not more. Who knows why players who would run through a brick wall for him last season this time just won't.They looked, yet again, lazy and clueless.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 am

Over the last ten years we have sat with the same people around us in our season ticket bubble JHU, we only know each other from football but always chat. Last night we were all saying similar stuff, why is Lennon playing like that, why is he not pushing on? What has happened to Jack Cork he is a yard and 2 seconds too slow at the moment? One of the funnier ones was at least Andre Gray scored one in 4, Chris Wood doesn't seem capable, why is Vydra not on after 60 minutes is he a rubbish buy? So the chat went on but almost always came back to is it the managers fault?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 am

Lordlucan wrote:Couldn't agree more.

I really wish Sean Dyche had never uttered that bloody phrase 'fine margins' it's been taken up like a sodding mantra on here.
Look, there is beginning to be a gulf, not fine margins, between us and even ordinary PL clubs. We have just been well beaten (forget the scoreline, we were embarrassed) by a team that until recently couldn't buy a win. We were hammered at Fulham who currently sit bottom. Destroyed at home by Watford who are not THAT good. We got a lucky win at Cardiff and even our 4-0 against Bournemouth was fortunate.

We are poor in the extreme and Dyche completely refuses to even get his teams to attack. As someone has pointed out they set up last night to not lose a game we should have been going for. I am now seriously beginning to think our manager has lost the dressing room because something is very definitely not right.

I don't want Dyche to go just now because he still has some credit in the bank for me but unfortunately I have to say the clock is ticking.

I must say also that I do think we have a board that is largely to blame for this also, they seem to be building for the Championship by the way they are 'investing' on the pitch.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 am

I agree with the statement but your headline does look like another thread calling for Sean to go.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 831 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 am

Not time for a change yet. BUT and it’s a massive BUT you say SD knows it’s not right, I beg to differ nothing he’s saying before or after matches or now I’d even say during matches suggest this. His substitutions last night were far too late. The stats suggest that when a team as a tight lead the ball spends about 50% of the last 10 minutes in play. So including injury time by making the subs in the 82nd minute Dyche gave Hendrick and Barnes about 6 minutes too make an impact. it’s ridiculous when you are losing at home to leave changes that late.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 am

The problem is we didn't buy a top striker and centre midfielder in the window, they would have cost us big bucks but the team was already looking tired, it's now starting to bite. I don't like what we're serving up at the moment but even if we go down I would stick with Sean.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

Sean Dyche has got us promoted to the premier league. Twice.

Sean Dyche has kept us in the premier league for 3 consecutive seasons.

No other manager in the history of the club has ever achieved that.

Sean Dyche took us down once and he MAY take us down again.

I, for one, would be fine with that.

Cos Sean Dyche would get us promoted to the premier league for a third time.
These 2 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb Siddo

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:32 am

When I say yet it’s quite a long yet as well. If he takes us down he deserves the opportunity and a pre season to try and reinvent us if you like. But if he takes us down and we are serving up the same brand of football and are only about half way up the division that would be the time for me.

Personally not sure I want to sit through many more performances like we’ve had this season.

Lordlucan
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Lordlucan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 am

South West Claret. wrote:Spot on LL..incidentally you can come back now if you wish :D
Hiding out just up the road from you, at the foot of the Mendips. sshhh.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 976 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:39 am

The board will undoubtedly stick with Sean because they are partly to blame for the situation that we find ourselves in.

Failure to spend in the summer and secure SD's preferred transfer targets to freshen up and strengthen the team, and even failure behind the scenes in making sure that the club had a proper scouting and recruitment policy to bring in players from europe and beyond.

Clubs that sack managers in the PL normally do so after he has been given adequate funds to spend in previous transfer windows and still not bought about any improvement in results. Sean has been denied funding resulting in missed transfer targets and a poor showing on the pitch. This has resulted in much of the money being wasted bringing in players of the standard of Wells and Vydra who cannot now even make the squad.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:46 am

Fans can show grit and detrmination is spades but the reality is it makes no difference to what is happening on the pitch.

SD has been brilliant and brought us a few years of success, even the relegation season was a good effort.

The small town mentality is our achilles heel and the lack of willingness to get involved in the Premier League transfer market has caught up now.

There is also the question of is it SD who can't spot a player or is it MG who won't pay premium prices for premium goods?

Unfortunately to date we appear to have paid too much without improving the quality.

We must wait and see how it will change with the new appointment and if the recruitment policy will take a dramatic turn.

It will reach a point ( probably has already with more than a few) when the fans become bored with the same old thing every season.

My previous car brought me years of happiness, I never wanted to part with it but I did and my current one is bringing me just as much happiness.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:50 am

I keep hearing this line being trotted out that we had this fantastic chance to kick on and entice players with European football, but I honestly can't believe there would be many players that wouldn't come to Burnley now that would have come at the beginning of the season on the promise of some July qualifiers in the Europa league.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Leisure
Been Liked: 3786 times
Has Liked: 12469 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:52 am

Lord Beamish wrote:Our p!ss poor Transfer Windows are finally catching up with us. We had a great opportunity to push the Team on over the summe(having known that were were staying up from about the turn of the New Year) but we(yet again) completely ballsed it up. Failure to prepare, and all that. We haven’t actually improved the Team in the past 12 months. Dych has to take his fair share of this.
He also has to take all the blame for his terrible tactics this time around. Last night, in what was one of our winnable games, he appeared to set up not to lose. If this carries on, make no mistake, we will be relegated. We are, thus far, one of the worst teams in the League; of that there is no doubt.
I'm interested to know how he set up to not lose?

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am

vinrogue wrote:So the chat went on but almost always came back to is it the managers fault?
You "Snowflake" Millennials are all the same... moan moan moan ;)

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:06 am

He’s got plenty of credit left in the bank but he’s got probably the biggest challenge he’s faced since being here to turn this around.

He’s somehow got to pull us out of this slump because 2018, results wise, has been extremely poor.
These 2 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb k90bfc

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:06 am

Leisure wrote:I'm interested to know how he set up to not lose?
Easy. Two wide men and two attacking fullbacks all tucked in tight. Four wide men and yet precious little width. A midfield two where one is seriously out of form and the other played his best football for us in a midfield three. Wide men very rarely got the ball and when they did were forced to turn inside more often than not. The two big guys up front who were supposed to be feeding on the crosses were seriously famished. There was quite literally no creativity until Newcastle sat back with a two goal lead.
It was Tora, Tora, Tora after that. We created some good chances(mainly missed by Wood), but if Newcastle has had an effective quick break, wed have been buried with half an hour to spare. The closest they came was the time they hit the post, late on.
We’re turgid and slow, with precious little spark or ingenuity. There’s only Gudmundsen regularly brought any sparkle to our game this term, and when I saw he wasn’t included in the squad, what I feared came to pass.
Added to everything, Dyche’s tardy substitutions(how on eart did Brady start, let alone play 80+ minutes?) and his chronic under using of the only truly different striker in his armoury(Vydra), our manager is making a proper horlicks of keeping is up this Season. In the end, that’s his only real remit. Keep us out of the bottom three by the end.

The style of football that Dyche has produced during his spell at Burnley will only be tolerated by most fans whilst it is producing results. When it’s not doing so, the style of our play will be the first thing to be criticised.
These 2 users liked this post: Top Claret tiger76

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 am

We've been turgid for a calendar year now. People have hardly turned on a whim.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 am

I started the first ever 'Mullen Out' chants at Turf Moor!

Something I was very proud of at the time but a bit ashamed of now.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 am

Vydra should have been on at HT for Wood. Id rather have Ronnie Wood up top in future tbh

The passing is shockingly bad. It’s laughable. It’s not difficult. Time and time and the ball is behind the man. Mee does it to Taylor every single time. Taylors forward momentum has to be stopped, he has to drag the ball forward and in the 1/2 seconds lost Newcastle were back set up. It’s not just Mee who does but all of them. You don’t need to be a £600m midfielder to be able to pass properly.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 am

SD is the 4th longest serving manager in English professional football. So i'd suggest that maybe 88 other teams fans maybe do??

I honestly don't know why it is popular on this board to turn on our own fans. They will be here long after any player or manager.
This user liked this post: joey13

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2529 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:16 am

Tactically lacking, certainly outdone last night by a top class manager who had a plan for his team which they executed to near perfection. Outclassed and outplayed on the pitch but that has been the case for all 6 home league games this season (and yes I do include Bournemouth in that). Last night's second half showing was about as poor as I can recall for quite a while, ponderous, unimaginative,lacking any craft or guile and so predictable affording them all the time in the world to protect their lead.
I wouldn't mind so much if the opposition were clearly superior to us but their league status suggests they aren't. However, they were able to adopt a different plan/strategy for the opposition they were facing and this seems to be an area our manager comes up short in. Some woeful individual performances too last night all of which only serve to add to the problems facing Sean Dyche.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:36 am

Blaming our current form on not spending enough is such a lazy way of criticizing the club because no one knows what the options really were/are.
Transfer windows are our bi annual Brexit, no one here knows what deals are on the table or what the actual financials are but we just need to Buy Buy Buy and if we don't play well we didn't Buy well enough. And if we play well, lets Buy more and 'evolve' play 'better' football.

Lowest net worth owners in league and half the Championship, 3rd lowest wage bill, ridiculous markets (especially for strikers), sorry to say but unfashionable club given the region. But people wonder why we aren't making marque signings.
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Blaming our current form on not spending enough is such a lazy way of criticizing the club because no one knows what the options really were/are.
Even SD himself made it plainly obvious he wasn't happy with the transfer window ..... numerous times!
This user liked this post: joey13

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm

BigChaCha wrote:Even SD himself made it plainly obvious he wasn't happy with the transfer window ..... numerous times!
He's ****** at the market, we can't change the circumstances I've mentioned above. Landing players with our resources is bloody hard, harder than probably many understand so blaming the club and Dyche is lazy when people have access to none of the facts or details.

"It's been the worst I've experienced
Even some of the big, big clubs haven't got the player they wanted, very difficult. And even more for us - we're spending pretty decent money now, if you're looking at £10millions and £15million, that's decent money, and yet you can't scratch the surface.
We have a model, everyone knows that, and I'm not crying it in, I would spend everything if we had it, but it's very difficult, even when you have money. It's just, the conduct of the system of transfers is out of the window, it's every man for themselves.
It's very frustrating and difficult and I've very pleased it's closed."

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2230 times
Has Liked: 2130 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Dyched wrote:Vydra should have been on at HT for Wood. Id rather have Ronnie Wood up top in future tbh

The passing is shockingly bad. It’s laughable. It’s not difficult. Time and time and the ball is behind the man. Mee does it to Taylor every single time. Taylors forward momentum has to be stopped, he has to drag the ball forward and in the 1/2 seconds lost Newcastle were back set up. It’s not just Mee who does but all of them. You don’t need to be a £600m midfielder to be able to pass properly.
My biggest gripe of Ben Mee. I've been saying it years, he takes and extra 1-2 even 3 touches when we have a man over which totally nullifies the whole point of having a man over and as you say, simply allows the opposition defence to drift over or regain their shape.

These are the 1% bits which drive managers like Pep ******* bonkers - it's little bits like this where games can be won or loss.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:04 pm

CoolClaret wrote: These are the 1% bits which drive managers like Pep ******* bonkers - it's little bits like this where games can be won or loss.
SD as you know calls these the fine margins CoolClaret. The problem with the often mentioned fine margins is SD seems to struggle to react when they go against us. Last night we had a hell of a lot of luck and because of this we were still in the game come the dying embers but very obviously plodding and hoping. To not try anything until the 82nd minute was poor and basically did nothing to effect those fine margins he puts so much emphasis on.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Tactically lacking, certainly outdone last night by a top class manager who had a plan for his team which they executed to near perfection. Outclassed and outplayed on the pitch but that has been the case for all 6 home league games this season (and yes I do include Bournemouth in that). Last night's second half showing was about as poor as I can recall for quite a while, ponderous, unimaginative,lacking any craft or guile and so predictable affording them all the time in the world to protect their lead.
I wouldn't mind so much if the opposition were clearly superior to us but their league status suggests they aren't. However, they were able to adopt a different plan/strategy for the opposition they were facing and this seems to be an area our manager comes up short in. Some woeful individual performances too last night all of which only serve to add to the problems facing Sean Dyche.
So you really think we were totally undeserving of beating Bournemouth?

Outclassed and outplayed despite winning 4-0?

As I've said before there are a number of posters who will NEVER give the club any credit whatsoever!
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Burnleyareback2

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm

i think fans of all clubs are pretty much the same when faced with disappointment.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2529 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Spijed wrote:So you really think we were totally undeserving of beating Bournemouth?

Outclassed and outplayed despite winning 4-0?

As I've said before there are a number of posters who will NEVER give the club any credit whatsoever!
Never said we were undeserving.

The result flattered us. Not the only time that has happened this season.

If your final comment regarding 'NEVER give the club any credit whatsoever' is aimed at me you couldn't be further from the truth. We've had a fantastic era with Sean Dyche at the helm but for too long now something hasn't been right. Whatever it is I can't affect but the buck stops with the manager and it is always going to be the case at any club that their role comes under much closer scrutiny when results and performances take a dip.
This user liked this post: Spijed

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Never said we were undeserving.

The result flattered us. Not the only time that has happened this season.

If your final comment regarding 'NEVER give the club any credit whatsoever' is aimed at me you couldn't be further from the truth. We've had a fantastic era with Sean Dyche at the helm but for too long now something hasn't been right. Whatever it is I can't affect but the buck stops with the manager and it is always going to be the case at any club that their role comes under much closer scrutiny when results and performances take a dip.
Can't argue with that fair assessment.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm guessing we tried to play more attractive football under the other managers you mentioned ? I can only remember the Mullen era with anything I would call clarity and we played some really nice footy - so genuine question, what was the footy like under Adamson and Casper ? I was there under the Casper era but frankly (!) don't remember it