REPORT: Geordies take the points in latest home defeat

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

REPORT: Geordies take the points in latest home defeat

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Burnley v Newcastle report

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/geordies-ta ... ome-defeat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: REPORT: Geordies take the points in latest home defeat

Post by CleggHall » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Yep agree with all of that, we got what we deserved and time to shut up about Europe and the transfer window.
Good report Tony, tell it like it is.

Rumpelstiltskin
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 2764 times

Post by Rumpelstiltskin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Great report (unfortunately)
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Your report perfectly described our game as 'laboured football'.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Why should people shut up about the main reasons why we are where we are, unless they are convinced that the club has learnt the lessons?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3795 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:59 pm

'This is when you need a predator, a goalscorer, but there was no one moving in to take advantage' - Where's Andy Payton when you need him!.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 pm

I had wondered why I’d seen lots of “yellow & black” scarves about.
Hadn’t clicked that they were fans of Young Boys (ooo err :o )getting an extra game in

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18273 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Leisure wrote:'This is when you need a predator, a goalscorer, but there was no one moving in to take advantage' - Where's Andy Payton when you need him!.
Sat up behind us with Radio Lancashire....
This user liked this post: Leisure

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 pm

I almost always agree with Tony's match report, but I think that's a bit harsh. As debated on the ratings thread, Wood had 3 clear chances in the second half alone, to go with the one which was excellently saved in the first half. I'd have expected him to bury at least one and probably 2 of them and I've seen Burnley players go home with the match ball from lesser sights of goal.

I don't think last night's performance was particularly coherent and I don't think the starting eleven worked, but in fairness that laboured football worked us into some decent enough positions to get crosses/diagonals in towards the box - we just didn't do it with enough quality. Of course, whether that's the approach that gets the best out of the players is an entirely different question.

That said, I also found the lack of changes in the second half inexplicable.
These 2 users liked this post: burnleymik Hibsclaret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:36 pm

If the first half was bad, then the second was something else. Newcastle could and should have put four past us.

Plan A hit it long to Vokes and Wood, plan B hit it even longer to Vokes, Wood and Barnes. Laughable tactics really, just pathetic.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Good report Tony

The Laboured style of football we are currently producing, slow,sideways,back and forth which is devoid of any purpose,drive or precision reminds of the latter games of Eddie Howes reign
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Good report. When you consider the chances Newcastle missed, that they are not a good side and we were at home, it was a rubbish performance by us. Brady, Wood and Taylor to name a few were particularly poor, but there were others too. We deserved nothing from the game.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:42 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:Good report Tony

The Laboured style of football we are currently producing, slow,sideways,back and forth which is devoid of any purpose,drive or precision reminds of the latter games of Eddie Howes reign
That's exactly what it reminded me of and I don't want to see much more of it.
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:43 pm

claretspice wrote:I almost always agree with Tony's match report, but I think that's a bit harsh. As debated on the ratings thread, Wood had 3 clear chances in the second half alone, to go with the one which was excellently saved in the first half. I'd have expected him to bury at least one and probably 2 of them and I've seen Burnley players go home with the match ball from lesser sights of goal.

I don't think last night's performance was particularly coherent and I don't think the starting eleven worked, but in fairness that laboured football worked us into some decent enough positions to get crosses/diagonals in towards the box - we just didn't do it with enough quality. Of course, whether that's the approach that gets the best out of the players is an entirely different question.

That said, I also found the lack of changes in the second half inexplicable.
Harsh maybe spice, but Newcastle were the worst team we've played at home this season and they could have won more convincingly. We concede goals too easily, don't create enough clear chances and my word we were pedestrian.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Harsh maybe spice, but Newcastle were the worst team we've played at home this season and they could have won more convincingly. We concede goals too easily, don't create enough clear chances and my word we were pedestrian.
So what's the answer Tony ? New players needed in January ? New manager with different ideas ? At the moment its not enjoyable to watch.

gc14
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by gc14 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 pm

We got the goal at a perfect time, myself and a few others said at half-time make the changes now whilst we have
the momentum and go from the off, but the same under performing 11 started and we got steadily worse ..
We were crying out for a clever,sharp forward Vydra could be the answer but unless he is given a chance we will
never know .. Lennon took on a full back in the 93rd minute and roasted him so he can do it, the question is why isn't he
doing it more often ..

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:07 pm

I think reality is slowly starting to hit home for some, even the most harden of supporters are starting to see it isn't just a sticky patch, we look quickly capable of snapping out of.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Report very fair and factual

But why bury your head and don't talk about the last transfer window - it was a disaster, thanks to a manager who only had two names in mind right up until the last week

That is why we are now struggling

No upgrade to any midfield positions where we were way behind the mark, a GK brought in due to injuries (otherwise he would not have been signed), and two others who already look to be warming the bench most of the season

Last summer was the time to improve our starting eleven in order just to keep up with the rest - Dyche and his team failed miserably
This user liked this post: summitclaret

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:10 pm

There is no difference in the style of our performance for the last five years. I remember in the Championship coming away from games wondering how we got the result. The big difference is the way we defend. Now the results are not favourable it puts a greater spotlight on the boring style of play which has always been the way under Dyche. There is the question of whether SD can only play this way, or he can only play this way with the players he is able to recruit.
Dyche is the same Dyche that walked on water last August, using the same language in interviews, playing the same football, making the same substitutions.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Think there are two many people beginning to feel comfortable, time for a few wake up calls from the very top. I'll leave those in the pay bracket to decide which particular cages need shaking.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1963 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:18 pm

Fair report although I’m not sure where the criticism of Taylor comes from with that open net Ritchie missed.
Assuming you mean Brady?
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Fair report although I’m not sure where the criticism of Taylor comes from with that open net Ritchie missed.
Assuming you mean Brady?
Yes, I’d thought it was Brady.

What surprised me in the summer was the number of people apparently content with the window. Giving it 7’s and 8’s out of 10.

It was blatantly poor and insufficient in a number of key areas.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5083 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Good report.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Fair report although I’m not sure where the criticism of Taylor comes from with that open net Ritchie missed.
Assuming you mean Brady?

It was indeed Brady

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 pm

Has to be Brady to take the blame for that one, shocking.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Aclaret wrote:So what's the answer Tony ? New players needed in January ? New manager with different ideas ? At the moment its not enjoyable to watch.
SD has two choices; to stick with the same formula and (most of) the same players that have served him well for five years and expect us to reach those levels again and get results or change things- players, formation, tactics. It's understandable that he is choosing the former and after the mini-run v B'mouth, C'diff & Hudders, I think that was justified. But we've not kicked on from there and I don't think he can now just keep doing the same thing and hoping it improves.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1163 times
Has Liked: 1300 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 pm

I think the report is a bit harsh as well. Yes we conceded a soft second goal but the first was a fluke. I think we put some some good moves together and with a bit of luck could have won the game. Yes we did do a lot of ponderous stuff along the back line but we were at least trying to keep possession instead of the ridiculous aimless hoof ball. I agree that Brady should have been hooked a lot earlier and not sure why Hendrick or Vydra were not put on sooner.
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Was it not also Taylor - not Lennon - who put in the injury-time freekick for Vokes to head over.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm

gc14 wrote:We got the goal at a perfect time, myself and a few others said at half-time make the changes now whilst we have
the momentum and go from the off, but the same under performing 11 started and we got steadily worse ..
We were crying out for a clever,sharp forward Vydra could be the answer but unless he is given a chance we will
never know .. Lennon took on a full back in the 93rd minute and roasted him so he can do it, the question is why isn't he
doing it more often ..
All very well in hindsight but given we were all over them for the last part of the first half if the manager makes changes at half time that don’t work he gets slagged off for that.

We didn’t play anywhere nearly as badly as people are making out tbh

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1651 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 pm

I enjoyed (in a sense) that match report.

When it boils down to it we are facing around 20 shots per game (last night was 17, against a poor side at home).

That is double what it should be.

We have the lowest shots on target in the league, and the highest shots faced on target in the league. That is only going to end one way - defeats.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 am

Assuming you mean Brady?
It was Brady initially who was slack when Yedlin nicked the ball off him. Then Lowton who could perhaps have put in a risky challenge on Ritchie.
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:03 pm

Fair report and assessment of the game by CT as to be expected
and invariably always is.
Comment from CT on our next 6 fixtures (4 of the top) making the games against
Palace away on Saturday and Brighton at home critical rings true in a worrying way.
I can see us in the bottom three by the end of the next six games if not earlier.

We probably won't be adrift by too far but if there's no sign of improved performances
the 'doom and gloom' will truly have set in and it really will be backs to the wall stuff
and desperately hoping we can manage to bring two or three over the transfer window
who can make a significant difference and relatively quickly too.

The likelihood of that happening isn't that high and it will put immense pressure
on Dyche and our new technical director to pull a few gems out of the air.

The only good news is that Tarks should be back soon and Gibson is fit and we may
be able to play them together and hopefully they will improve us defensively.
I think if Mee is dropped or rested then we may need a new captain.
Vydra may also be given a few run outs and we'll have a better idea of
whether he can help improve us up front.
Other than that unless you're one of those in favour of bringing back Heaton
in the hope he can improve the defence -then we may not have much to look forward
before Xmas and probably well into the New Year.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:21 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:Good report Tony

Just to be clear, do we want to sack Dyche for playing hoof ball, or for passing it around too much?
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:38 am

Good and balanced report CT

I think all agreed, (I'm not sure if even CT stated the same) that before the West Ham game, the next 4 games would give a good indication of where we are. We have played 3 out of the 4 and its not looking too good which I think we all agree on. A lot seems to be putting a lot of stock in to the January window, but if we are in the bottom 3 I really dont see the purse strings being opened as the club have 1 eye on preparation for next season, but even if for some miraculous reason they did, we all know that unless there is an injury, who ever comes in, will probably not see the starting line up until around March, and the season could be over by then. So the only way we are going to stay in the premier league this time is for Dyche to get the best out of what we have. Fingers crossed.

Stickers
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Stickers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 am

ClaretAL wrote:Good and balanced report CT

I think all agreed, (I'm not sure if even CT stated the same) that before the West Ham game, the next 4 games would give a good indication of where we are. We have played 3 out of the 4 and its not looking too good which I think we all agree on. A lot seems to be putting a lot of stock in to the January window, but if we are in the bottom 3 I really dont see the purse strings being opened as the club have 1 eye on preparation for next season, but even if for some miraculous reason they did, we all know that unless there is an injury, who ever comes in, will probably not see the starting line up until around March, and the season could be over by then. So the only way we are going to stay in the premier league this time is for Dyche to get the best out of what we have. Fingers crossed.
Spot on
You could say a couple of decent signings in key areas will promote competition fror spots and push our current players forward. but the thought that firstly the purse strings will be loosened and secondly a new signing will get instant game time/results is not how we work and a slightly delusional dream of many on here.
That said I too like to dream as I’m struggling to find the answer as I can’t see Dyche changing the way he’s set us up and like a lot I’m baffled by his approach to substitutes especially on Monday night

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:18 am

Spot on Tony. It's in games like this where I think we see Sean's biggest failing, an inability to affect a game via tactics. It is so frustrating.

I like Joe a lot but I am wondering if our defensive frailties could be because of him. He rarely commands his area. He normally stays rooted to the line and doesn't come and claim many coming across the box.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:00 am

The report is spot on and far from being harsh. We create little and look severely pedestrian, the likes of Defour and Brady returning from injury have not made any improvement as we had hoped.
Brady was awful along with Defour who quite frankly looks past it.
Hendrick needs to be given an extended run out in Midfield as he is the only guy we have with the strength and legs to carry the ball.
If Dyche doesn't show more imagination his position at this club will certainly be in jeopardy, he is starting to look like a one trick Pony at the end of his shelf life

Safron
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Post by Safron » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 am

Batten down the hatches and get ready for the anti negative brigade :D

Safron
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Post by Safron » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 am

I don't think anyone would be to harsh on dyche if he was trying different positive formations and personel,and playing constructive football,ball he just keeps banging the same drum ,even his interviews are ponderous stating we've had great weeks training and our performances are looking like our old selves,when every fan can see we are rapidly getting worse

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 am

Just been chatting with a Supplier of mine who is a big Man U fan, and knows Tom Heaton from his early days at Old Trafford. He is pretty damning of SD on his non selection of Tom, and suggests the rest of the team are not at all happy with the guy between the sticks and that is where the problem lies. Now I'm not sure at all if he is in the know, but I've been to Old Trafford in this guys executive seats and sat having lunch with him. And this guy seems to be on decent speaking terms with most of the ex players who are in the boxes on matchday, so who knows.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:54 am

I actually thought we played pretty well on Monday taken overall, especially compared to most other games this season. We were let down by woeful crossing from decent positions and a lack of finishing, principally from Wood, and as virtually everybody else says, a stubborn reluctance to alter things and personnel when it was clearly slipping away. Newcastle got very fortunate with the first goal and yes, they missed a sitter (or two) when we were chasing the game, but we could and should have got a point and possibly all three.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:22 am

ewanrob wrote:Just been chatting with a Supplier of mine who is a big Man U fan, and knows Tom Heaton from his early days at Old Trafford. He is pretty damning of SD on his non selection of Tom, and suggests the rest of the team are not at all happy with the guy between the sticks and that is where the problem lies. Now I'm not sure at all if he is in the know, but I've been to Old Trafford in this guys executive seats and sat having lunch with him. And this guy seems to be on decent speaking terms with most of the ex players who are in the boxes on matchday, so who knows.
If that's the case then surely SD would know the players aren't happy and the feelings would transfer themselves onto the training pitch at the very least.

SD knows his reputation is on the line and certainly wouldn't be playing Joe Hart if it's going to damage his own managerial career.

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Acting Claret » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 am

Have we ever had a kick off as late as 8.30pm?