Why Sean stands by Joe Hart

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Why Sean stands by Joe Hart

Post by Steddyman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 pm

I have a theory about why Sean sticks with Hart above selecting Heaton. I'm not saying Heaton is the better keeper here and Hart should lose his place, but simply stating a theory I have.

Sean's usual strategy (maybe that isn't the right word for Sean) is that a player keeps their place in the team until they are injured or have enough bad performances in a row that they are finally dropped.

Sean will realise the best keeper we have is Pope and he is close to fitness. If he let's Heaton back into the team, given Pope replaced him when he was injured, I think he will find it tough to then replace Heaton again with Pope.

I think Sean is waiting for Pope to be fit and when he is he will come back into the first team and Heaton won't even make the bench.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Why Sean stands by Joe Hart

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 pm

You think Joe Hart will be our third choice goalkeeper?
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish blackburnturfite

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Yes, it's a theory.

Or maybe he's sticking with Hart because he basically isn't doing anything wrong.
These 6 users liked this post: tim_noone deanothedino bodge bobinho blackburnturfite Wo Didi

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 pm

The crazies are out again.
This user liked this post: Siddo

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 pm

I think Pope is superior to Hart and would welcome him back ASAP. Call me crazy BOT if you like. But we never shipped so many goals under Nick.

And for what it’s worth...I’d be just as happy having Tom back.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1697 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 pm

I actually believe that had Heaton played all this season that we would have NO extra points than we have. Hart has been our most consistent player

However, particularly after Cardiff's win tonight we cannot keep playing with the same team and tactics. I think its so dire that I would like to see SD start with our Captain Heaton and bring back Tarks , so we have 4 of the main back 5 of last year. I think Heaton's organization is missed. Barnes has a great record v Palace and must start

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I think Pope is superior to Hart and would welcome him back ASAP. Call me crazy BOT if you like. But we never shipped so many goals under Nick.

It's the conspiracy theory that is crazy, not which goalkeeper you think is the best.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1644 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:45 pm

We are facing around 20 shots per game. From memory few come from Hart not coming for crosses or not coming out for through balls.

My theory is that the disappointment of crashing out of Europe (a career only chance for some of these guys) has led to a slump, and, like most sides, when in a slump the confidence becomes a vicious cycle.

Unfortunately changing the keeper will not make a difference. I think Hart is superior to Heaton and Pope by far (Pope has never had to defend behind a shambolic outfield like this one, this season may have been very different for him regardless of the injury). Hart at his peak was one of the world’s best keepers.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:51 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote: Unfortunately changing the keeper will not make a difference. I think Hart is superior to Heaton and Pope by far (Pope has never had to defend behind a shambolic outfield like this one, this season may have been very different for him regardless of the injury).

I think Pope is saving that second goal for Newcastle, or at least getting near it.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:57 pm

As soon as Pope is match fit he must return to the team.
His “ high claims” from that stats list is what we have missed this season.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:42 pm

I don't think we would be any better off with Tom in goal, in fact when he played for us against Olympiakos he looked to be protecting his shoulder when he dived. He didn't seem the player he was before the injury, though clearly a couple of games aren't enough for him to get back his past form.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I think Pope is saving that second goal for Newcastle, or at least getting near it.
No, not having that. I don't think there is a keeper in the world getting near or to that. It was pacey and right in the far corner. Just a hell of a goal.

Just for the record I think the Pope of last season is ours and England's best keeper (inspite of his kicking)

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1644 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:15 am

Who knows, Pope may be best. I like Pope. But I am a stats man. They don’t lie (they just get misrepresented or misinterpreted).

Hart won the top goalkeeper in the Premier award 4 times, as did Cech (a record). He should now be at his peak. Pope had less than one good season. A season when we were solid from front to back.

The odds are that Hart is by far the best, but like I said, I like Pope.
This user liked this post: blackburnturfite

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:25 am

Goobs wrote:No, not having that. I don't think there is a keeper in the world getting near or to that. It was pacey and right in the far corner. Just a hell of a goal.

Just for the record I think the Pope of last season is ours and England's best keeper (inspite of his kicking)
Just for the record, Pope is standing in a different position which narrows the angle and he saves it.

Not that it matters after the lord mayor's show.

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:11 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Just for the record, Pope is standing in a different position which narrows the angle and he saves it.

If he does that then he is in the wrong position to start with and gets lucky IMO but like you say it's done now so let's look forwards.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:12 am

2 or 3 years ago without doubt Hart would have been the best goalkeeper. But it's not 2 or 3 years ago, Hart failed miserably in France and at West Ham. If we are going off past glory's why don't we put Jimmy Robson and Brian Pilkington in the starting 11.

Sadly I think both Pope and Heaton will be off soon to pastures new due to Dyche's stubbornness.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:57 am

I think Pope will walk back into the team
This user liked this post: Steddyman

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:54 am

Steddyman wrote:I have a theory about why Sean sticks with Hart above selecting Heaton. I'm not saying Heaton is the better keeper here and Hart should lose his place, but simply stating a theory I have.

Sean's usual strategy (maybe that isn't the right word for Sean) is that a player keeps their place in the team until they are injured or have enough bad performances in a row that they are finally dropped.

Sean will realise the best keeper we have is Pope and he is close to fitness. If he let's Heaton back into the team, given Pope replaced him when he was injured, I think he will find it tough to then replace Heaton again with Pope.

I think Sean is waiting for Pope to be fit and when he is he will come back into the first team and Heaton won't even make the bench.
Pretty much concur -

Hart remains in goal
Heaton out on loan
Pope replaces Hart
Pope sold in the summer (along with Hart)
Heaton next season`s No.1 (I`d rather have Pope but no chance)

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:30 am

Hart thread number 5.

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 am

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:2 or 3 years ago without doubt Hart would have been the best goalkeeper. But it's not 2 or 3 years ago, Hart failed miserably in France and at West Ham. If we are going off past glory's why don't we put Jimmy Robson and Brian Pilkington in the starting 11.

Sadly I think both Pope and Heaton will be off soon to pastures new due to Dyche's stubbornness.
Perhaps you haven't noticed Hart has put in some very good MOM winning performances this season?

By the way how / when did he fail miserably in France?

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 am

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:2 or 3 years ago without doubt Hart would have been the best goalkeeper. But it's not 2 or 3 years ago, Hart failed miserably in France and at West Ham. If we are going off past glory's why don't we put Jimmy Robson and Brian Pilkington in the starting 11.

Which French club did he play for?

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Which French club did he play for?
Le Torino

No need to be critical, we are not football experts :lol: yet can some can offer opinions on somethings and not others.

Here's my opinion on why Sean stands by Joe Hart - he's the best fit keeper at the club and has done nothing to be dropped. Posters don't like hart for some reason and want their Tom back in goal so make things up.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:43 am

I also believe Hart to be the best GK but...... I dont believe he is the best GK for Burnley. Our GK needs to be a part of the back 5...shouting encouraging defenders to close down angles meaning shots on goal are always within a specified space which the keeper is aware of and has covered. It makes it more head scratching that Hart was deemed upto speed immediately with our system when clearly he isnt. The amount of saves he has had to make is proof of that. At the moment we have a GK and a back four, if it was Heaton or Pope we would have a back 5.

I am of the opinion that Heaton will not play for us again whilst SD is here. I dont know whether he is back to his best but in the glimpses we saw early season I dont think he was anywhere near where he was before his injury. His interview will not have gone down well and with all the reports of a move in the paper it smacks of a player instructing his agent to find him a move and make it as public as possible that his services are available

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:46 am

Hart is the least of our problems

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:56 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:I think Pope is superior to Hart and would welcome him back ASAP. Call me crazy BOT if you like. But we never shipped so many goals under Nick.

The defence were performing as they should then.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Whatever keeper we play ,the problem lies with the other 10 players not the keeper.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Goobs wrote:No, not having that. I don't think there is a keeper in the world getting near or to that. It was pacey and right in the far corner. Just a hell of a goal.

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Just for the record, Pope is standing in a different position which narrows the angle and he saves it.

Your both wrong - Pope would have come for the cross and plucked it off his head.
This user liked this post: TVC15

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Little point talking about Joe Hart of a few seasons ago winning titles and awards. He has had 2 or 3 poor seasons for club and country but he has done more than ok for us.

But based on last season Pope is a better keeper than Hart. Pope’s stats put him up there as one of the best keepers in Premier League...and probably Europe.
Only Courtois rivalled him for commanding his area something that Joe Hart is very poor at.

If Pope can prove his fitness then he is our best keeper and I want him back in before the inevitable of selling him to one of the top clubs. From a purely mercenary point of view he needs to be playing to maximise his value / transfer fee.

As for Tom let’s not forget how good he was before the injury. For me he was England’s no 1 and but for the injury he would have been in before Pickford. His performances and world class saves in the season before the injury were as good as I have ever seen from a Burnley keeper.

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Your both wrong - Pope would have come for the cross and plucked it off his head.
If Tarks or Barnes were playing they would have come for it and taken his head off.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller