Remember ....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: Remember ....

Post by houseboy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:11 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I think he has to have to at least next Christmas. He took us up, so should have the allowance of us going back down.
So you think he should be allowed to take us down a second time? I have never heard such nonsense. I think he should be given till February and no longer. I can't be doing with all this blind loyalty business, who do some of you support, Burnley FC or Sean Dyche? If he cleared off to Preston or Blackpool would you change clubs? I despair.

As someone has pointed out how loyal has he been? He's been linked with other vacancies in the past but as far as we know it was mostly paper talk.

He has been good for us but the emphasis is on 'has', at the moment he isn't and hasn't been this calendar year (I won't say a year or Tall Paul will start getting all pedantic). I would give him 2 months and a decent budget for the window and see what happens but I most certainly wouldn't want him in charge if we are at or near the bottom come March.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:18 pm

houseboy wrote:So you think he should be allowed to take us down a second time? I have never heard such nonsense. I think he should be given till February and no longer. I can't be doing with all this blind loyalty business, who do some of you support, Burnley FC or Sean Dyche? If he cleared off to Preston or Blackpool would you change clubs? I despair.

As someone has pointed out how loyal has he been? He's been linked with other vacancies in the past but as far as we know it was mostly paper talk.

He has been good for us but the emphasis is on 'has', at the moment he isn't and hasn't been this calendar year (I won't say a year or Tall Paul will start getting all pedantic). I would give him 2 months and a decent budget for the window and see what happens but I most certainly wouldn't want him in charge if we are at or near the bottom come March.
I like to think Dyche is Building more than a team at Burnley.... And is Long Term.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:18 pm

bodge wrote:And that is the real positive joey13 as it demonstrates that the match going fans are not attention seeking illogical blow hards with very little sense who understand that the manager is an asset we must keep hold of.

True, they are on here during a game feeling ripped off at watching on tv

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Sean Dyche`s leaving should be of his own accord, plain and simple. He`s simply done too much for this club to be stabbed in the back by a bunch of so-called supporters who don`t really know the meaning of the term, and have a great deal of trouble even spelling it.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:55 pm

tim_noone wrote:I like to think Dyche is Building more than a team at Burnley.... And is Long Term.
What is he building exactly? At the moment the foundations are built on quicksand. I hope he turns us around, really, but I wouldn't put a weeks wage on it at the moment.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Well, he`s put a great deal of money into new training facilities, which suggests a long-term approach. We have yet to realize a reward from this investment but I`m sure that it will come.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm

houseboy wrote:What is he building exactly? At the moment the foundations are built on quicksand. I hope he turns us around, really, but I wouldn't put a weeks wage on it at the moment.
He has totally revamped the infrastructure of the club

And people often forget that at times he was working with next to nothing. At other times he actively told the club to spend more on the facilities and future than on players. He wanted to leave the club in a better position when he goes than when he arrived.

If we were to go down. And I hope we dont. And he left we would still be better off than when he arrived.

Fantastic training facilities
New Disabled facilities
Debt free
Fantastic new club shop

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Everybody needs to be behind SD and the team tonight, they’ve earned it.
We have problems that 1 window might not cure but SD deserves the chance to fix us.
What we don’t need to become is a hire em and fire em team. No good ever comes of that.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:44 pm

boatshed bill wrote:It's strongly rumoured that some of the players wouldn't try for Laws.
I felt really sorry for him, given that poisoned chalice.
There were several. Including some of the 'heroes' of May 2009.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Remember ....when we strung 5 passes together ? Me neither

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:47 pm

At times like these, I sometimes despair at being a Burnley fan.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:51 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:He has totally revamped the infrastructure of the club

And people often forget that at times he was working with next to nothing. At other times he actively told the club to spend more on the facilities and future than on players. He wanted to leave the club in a better position when he goes than when he arrived.

If we were to go down. And I hope we dont. And he left we would still be better off than when he arrived.

Fantastic training facilities
New Disabled facilities
Debt free
Fantastic new club shop
Maybe you have hit on the problem mate. He is supposed to be a football manager not a CEO. Maybe he is too distracted by things that are not his direct concern. The infrastructure at a club should not be the concern of the team manager.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm

houseboy wrote:Maybe you have hit on the problem mate. He is supposed to be a football manager not a CEO. Maybe he is too distracted by things that are not his direct concern. The infrastructure at a club should not be the concern of the team manager.
I disagree. I think its admirable that he takes that view. All said and done the club is in a better position than when he joined.

Then when you look at it from a footballing point of view, we have had more seasons in the top league under Dyche than we did in the previous 50. If he keeps us up this season that has to be classed as a success (now at least). He is looking at a bigger picture. He knows realistically that one of two scenarios will eventually lead to him leaving. 1 that he could be sacked or 2 a better offer could come along. Either way he wants to leave us in a better place.

If the club makes progress, even if its 1 step back 2 forward under every manager we are moving in the right direction.

Going right back to Mullen that has been the case for almost all managers since.

I would sooner Dyche have that approach than a **** it, I will spend it all on players. Because if that doesnt work we are really up **** creek!

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:28 am

houseboy wrote:Maybe you have hit on the problem mate. He is supposed to be a football manager not a CEO. Maybe he is too distracted by things that are not his direct concern. The infrastructure at a club should not be the concern of the team manager.
Sean dyche is more than the team manager. Neil warnocks a team manager.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I disagree. I think its admirable that he takes that view. All said and done the club is in a better position than when he joined.

Then when you look at it from a footballing point of view, we have had more seasons in the top league under Dyche than we did in the previous 50. If he keeps us up this season that has to be classed as a success (now at least). He is looking at a bigger picture. He knows realistically that one of two scenarios will eventually lead to him leaving. 1 that he could be sacked or 2 a better offer could come along. Either way he wants to leave us in a better place.

If the club makes progress, even if its 1 step back 2 forward under every manager we are moving in the right direction.

Going right back to Mullen that has been the case for almost all managers since.

I would sooner Dyche have that approach than a **** it, I will spend it all on players. Because if that doesnt work we are really up **** creek!
You are right he has done all these things but do you not think that if he concentrated on the team it might improve things on the pitch? I can't think of any manager who has been so involved in non-footballing matters at a club than Dyche (not saying there hasn't been I just can't think of one) and surely the distraction cannot be good. Speaking personally (and this is just my view and many may disagree) I don't really care about the state of the ground or the club shop or the training facilities, I only really care about matters on the pitch (maybe I'm just old fashioned), personally I would prefer to be still stood under the draughty old Longside than sat in stands (bring on the return of standing areas). I know what you mean though and respect your view but I still think he should get till February to turn things around. Remember the old cliche about having the best ground and facilities in the 4th division? I know we are a long way from that but you get my drift.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 am

tim_noone wrote:Sean dyche is more than the team manager. Neil warnocks a team manager.
I would prefer a team manager.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:50 am

houseboy wrote:You are right he has done all these things but do you not think that if he concentrated on the team it might improve things on the pitch? I can't think of any manager who has been so involved in non-footballing matters at a club than Dyche (not saying there hasn't been I just can't think of one) and surely the distraction cannot be good. Speaking personally (and this is just my view and many may disagree) I don't really care about the state of the ground or the club shop or the training facilities, I only really care about matters on the pitch (maybe I'm just old fashioned), personally I would prefer to be still stood under the draughty old Longside than sat in stands (bring on the return of standing areas). I know what you mean though and respect your view but I still think he should get till February to turn things around. Remember the old cliche about having the best ground and facilities in the 4th division? I know we are a long way from that but you get my drift.
Honestly? No. Because he is looking at a bigger picture and the longer term 'self sufficiency' of this club. And by getting things up to scratch now means we have more to spend on the team in the future.

Even the best managers have bad seasons on the field. And spending never guarantees otherwise. So he is making sure he has a legacy thats bigger than a few big signings etc. Imagine he put all his eggs in one basket and that star player got injured. Or completely lost form.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 am

houseboy wrote:You are right he has done all these things but do you not think that if he concentrated on the team it might improve things on the pitch? I can't think of any manager who has been so involved in non-footballing matters at a club than Dyche (not saying there hasn't been I just can't think of one) and surely the distraction cannot be good. Speaking personally (and this is just my view and many may disagree) I don't really care about the state of the ground or the club shop or the training facilities, I only really care about matters on the pitch (maybe I'm just old fashioned), personally I would prefer to be still stood under the draughty old Longside than sat in stands (bring on the return of standing areas). I know what you mean though and respect your view but I still think he should get till February to turn things around. Remember the old cliche about having the best ground and facilities in the 4th division? I know we are a long way from that but you get my drift.
Sports science as moved on massively....without new ground and training facilities you'd still be stood on the Longside sipping your bovril and smelling the p!ss from the bogs at the back watching a low league club now if you prefer that Maybe give Bacup a visit ......

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:02 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Honestly? No. Because he is looking at a bigger picture and the longer term 'self sufficiency' of this club. And by getting things up to scratch now means we have more to spend on the team in the future.

Even the best managers have bad seasons on the field. And spending never guarantees otherwise. So he is making sure he has a legacy thats bigger than a few big signings etc. Imagine he put all his eggs in one basket and that star player got injured. Or completely lost form.
I think we'll have to agree to differ on that one mate. Respect your view though.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Honestly? No. Because he is looking at a bigger picture and the longer term 'self sufficiency' of this club. And by getting things up to scratch now means we have more to spend on the team in the future.

John Bond and Burnleys New star player spring to mind... After the injury we tumbled down the leagues. Good point made.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:14 am

tim_noone wrote:Sports science as moved on massively....without new ground and training facilities you'd still be stood on the Longside sipping your bovril and smelling the p!ss from the bogs at the back watching a low league club now if you prefer that Maybe give Bacup a visit ......
Why would I go to Bacup or anywhere else? I've been a Claret all my life and I ain't gonna change now but yes I would swap the training ground and the stands and all the other trappings for a better team on the pitch. I'm a football fan, I'm not interested in nice surroundings and 'comfort', I want a competitive team and a manager who sticks to what he should be doing.
Look, the new training ground was supposed to attract better players apparently, so what happened in the last window? What do people support a team for? Is it for nice seats and decent toilets? Is it for state of the art training grounds and a club with millions in the bank who won't spend anything on players? Is it for a manager who wants to be a CEO as well as managing team affairs? If so it's they who should be going elsewhere because that's not being a football fan, it's being someone who is happy to settle for second best (or third or fourth) as long as they have a comfy seat.