Arsenal - What a change of manager can do

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Arsenal - What a change of manager can do

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Just look at Arsenal today and the atmosphere at The Emirates. Last year a lifeless atmosphere and discontent all around. This season a new manager with a few different ideas but mainly the same side. Unbelievable what a change can do, how a long serving manager can stop being able to affect change because players get bored of the same ideas, same team talks, same excuses, same praise.

All good things come to an end and sometimes things just get sterile.

Any comparisons

Just saying

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Re: Arsenal - What a change of manager can do

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Wenger should have been given more time, he won the league once..... he'd earned it ;)

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm loving all the comparisons coming out today about how changing a manager makes all the difference.

Any chance of any of you using this time to look at all the times it hasn't worked?

For example, I'll give you Stoke last season, or Sunderland every season apart from this one.

And those comparisons are far more likely and realistic that the one given by the OP
These 2 users liked this post: taio spadesclaret

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'm loving all the comparisons coming out today about how changing a manager makes all the difference.

Any chance of any of you using this time to look at all the times it hasn't worked?

For example, I'll give you Stoke last season, or Sunderland every season apart from this one.

And those comparisons are far more likely and realistic that the one given by the OP
So because it hasn’t worked for other clubs, we don’t bother then? It’s worked for Palace, don’t forget.

I’ve pretty much accepted relegation now. Would it be advantageous to give a new manager two transfer windows and a 6 month bedding in period to have a crack at the Championship?

We know there is no guarantee with anything. I don’t particularly like the idea of changing manager mid season, but to carry on like we are seems futile. The players are drained of confidence and the atmosphere at the club is becoming toxic.

If there was ANY sign of improvement, then I would put my hands up and say Dyche deserves more time. But there isn’t. We’re getting worse, which tells me enough.
These 2 users liked this post: Royboyclaret IndigoLake

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Nope, it might work

But Hughes to Lambert

Sunderland - Moyes, that fascist Italian, that dutch bloke, that angry uruguayan

Arsenal have replaced Wenger with one of the better managers in Europe.

If we can find the next Pochettino (for example) then I'm all for it.

But we won't. Its going to be a depressingly short list if we pot Dyche, and it will include BFS and Moyes.

That not my main reason for keeping him (thats that he deserves more time) but I'd be lying if I didn't consider the alternatives to be worse.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Worked for Palace? Flirt with relegation last year & 4th bottom until yesterday.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I’m prepared to give Dyche these two games at home this week. I’m not demanding wins from either(especially the Liverpool one), but what I am demanding is a response from the Team. Some sign that they still want to play for him and that he has it within himself to turn this utter mess around.
If threre is no response at all, then I think he’s finished.
These 3 users liked this post: TsarBomba IndigoLake Murger

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks thst our situation is anything like Arsenal's.
These 2 users liked this post: taio evensteadiereddie

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:19 pm

It’s ok changing managers, if you get the right one. We could end up with Brian laws!
By the way I think SD should be given more time, he’s earned it

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:20 pm

I remember Dyche talking about, when he first arrived (or perhaps the first summer after his arrival), a questionnaire that all the players completed to understand issues and be able to get everything out in the open, anonymously.

Hopefully something like this has been done, or is being done. Getting back to basics isn’t the answer, the answer is getting to the root of whatever the problems are, either with individuals or the team as a whole.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:24 pm

I liked the forward thinking half time substitution, if it's not working then change it....it could catch on, I thought subs weren't allowed until the 80th minute.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:26 pm

ewanrob wrote:I liked the forward thinking half time substitution, if it's not working then change it....it could catch on, I thought subs weren't allowed until the 80th minute.
Brady came on at HT yesterday

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Stockbrokerbelt wrote:Worked for Palace? Flirt with relegation last year & 4th bottom until yesterday.
Palace have been saved on more than one occasion by changing manager.

They have become very reliant on this short term fix, which is a route I wouldn’t want us to go down, but with the sole aim of avoiding relegation, you can’t deny it hasn’t worked for them.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Spijed wrote:Brady came on at HT yesterday
Did it change the game in our favour?

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Arsenal changed at the end of the season - took their time over the decision and allowed the new manager to prepare properly based on where they finished (CL or Europa League place) and what they expected as a result.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:55 pm

What about the impact for Everton Marco Silva is having.
The football is breathtaking compared to the mundane style they had under Alladyce.

Gives me hope

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks thst our situation is anything like Arsenal's.

it's identical, you had players wandering around not putting the yards in and now they are - it's the opposite of our last year. It's a human nature thing not an Arsenal Burnley thing

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Continuing the links to huge clubs with what a change of manager can do isn't really convincing to be honest.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:44 pm

There's no guarantees with anything. The current situation on the pitch can't get much worse though. It's not just the results we just aren't in games and never remotely look like winning. Changes can work such as Leicester - Pearson changed Ranieri changed and not much loyalty shown because they'd achieved previously. Similiar set of players. Years ago with us Casper changed Mullen appointed. Similiar set of players. Our players now need a lift and some belief in what they are being asked to do.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Blackrod wrote:There's no guarantees with anything. The current situation on the pitch can't get much worse though. It's not just the results we just aren't in games and never remotely look like winning. Changes can work such as Leicester - Pearson changed Ranieri changed and not much loyalty shown because they'd achieved previously. Similiar set of players. Years ago with us Casper changed Mullen appointed. Similiar set of players. Our players now need a lift and some belief in what they are being asked to do.
Pearson was sacked at Leicester for non-footballing reasons. It was purely because of his Son acting like an idiot in Thailand.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Spijed wrote:Pearson was sacked at Leicester for non-footballing reasons. It was purely because of his Son acting like an idiot in Thailand.
I don’t think it was purely for that, Spijed. His behaviour throughout that season had got stranger and stranger as time went on. Hostile interviews; that truly bizarre clash with an opposition player on the touch line. The misbehaving son was just the straw that broke the camel’s back.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Can you believe that even some of the bellends on here that anyone can seriously compare our situation to that of Arsenal’s :lol: :lol:

Perhaps if our wage bill and squad was in their league a managerial change may well be a good thing . Does anyone seriously truthfully think we’d have the squad we do with that kind of clout ? And do they also think SD would play the same style of football if he had a plethora of strong athletic highly skilled young lions on the roster?

Our club is starting to feel like a Brighton or Leicester with deluded new fan twitter types who totally forget we’ve ALWAYS played sh1t football under Dyche and before that Eddie didn’t exactly have us knocking on the prem door

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Pearson went officially "rogue" that season. He certainly wasn't all there at all.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:06 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Can you believe that even some of the bellends on here that anyone can seriously compare our situation to that of Arsenal’s :lol: :lol:

Perhaps if our wage bill and squad was in their league a managerial change may well be a good thing . Does anyone seriously truthfully think we’d have the squad we do with that kind of clout ? And do they also think SD would play the same style of football if he had a plethora of strong athletic highly skilled young lions on the roster?

Our club is starting to feel like a Brighton or Leicester with deluded new fan twitter types who totally forget we’ve ALWAYS played sh1t football under Dyche and before that Eddie didn’t exactly have us knocking on the prem door
it's to do with human nature not budget. How did Dyche manage to get a cobbled together team out of the Championship ? He didn't do it because of his budget. As for calling people bellends you might be asking for a ban

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Pearson was sacked because he resisted sacking his son (and 2 other players) when his son was filmed disrespecting Thais whilst on tour in the owner's homeland. Pearsons's other misdemeanours were tolerated.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:36 pm

I understand the OP view, however, isn't it easier to get so much more from a highly skilled squad with pace throughout the team, as against a predominantly average championship squad in the premier league. I agree that anyone who can get a team playing and playing well should see the support and noise volume from its crowd increase.