Time to rally

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Time to rally

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Folks,

It has been a rancid season so far. We all have our theories about where it is going wrong, but that’s just it...the damage is still repairable. The last thing we need now is to be heckling from the stands against Liverpool and certainly not against Brighton.

The one thing that we’ve all done under Dyche, is been on the same page. We need to stick on that page if we are to pull through this.

We are not adrift and there are no other clubs in the bottom six that I’d expect to pull away. It might be ugly at times, it might not be the brand of football you necessarily want to see, but that’s unlikely to change in a hurry: we have to do our bit in giving our players every possible chance of refinding their confidence and in doing so, rediscover their firm too.

Get behind them and let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We have to fight in this league.

UTC
These 30 users liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris BFCmaj Colburn_Claret Billy Balfour Lord Beamish Leisure Lancasterclaret evensteadiereddie Hapag Lloyd piston broke Dark Cloud spadesclaret Spijed JohnMcGreal Holmeclaret burnleyboy dsr BOYSIE31 LoveCurryPies Erasmus Carnsmerry12 moaninclaret AlargeClaret simonclaret Claret KateR SussexDon1inIreland longsidepies Bosscat Rumpelstiltskin

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Re: Time to rally

Post by summitclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:23 pm

You are right John. However, I for one am going to find it hard as I am so annoyed with the club regarding the last 2 transfer windows. It sort of serves them right really.

It needs the manager and players to show some fight. I think starting McNeil would help a lot to get the crowd going.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 pm

You are, of course, right, John.

Those without the stomach for the fight should really think twice about coming.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Fair enough. Whatever works for you. Don't heckle or show your displeasure. It's not compulsory.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Folks,

It has been a rancid season so far. We all have our theories about where it is going wrong, but that’s just it...the damage is still repairable. The last thing we need now is to be heckling from the stands against Liverpool and certainly not against Brighton.

The one thing that we’ve all done under Dyche, is been on the same page. We need to stick on that page if we are to pull through this.

We are not adrift and there are no other clubs in the bottom six that I’d expect to pull away. It might be ugly at times, it might not be the brand of football you necessarily want to see, but that’s unlikely to change in a hurry: we have to do our bit in giving our players every possible chance of refinding their confidence and in doing so, rediscover their firm too.

Get behind them and let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We have to fight in this league.

UTC
Well said. Couldn't agree more. UTC
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Oh definitely have the stomach, unfortunately.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:29 pm

It’s a two way thing.

If there is effort, fight and commitment from the players as a minimum, then you’ll get the same from the stands.

You can’t honestly say that has been the case from those on the pitch this season, and when people are paying good money to see players not trying, or perceived to be not trying, then you can understand why fans get disgruntled.

If the players give their all against Liverpool, and there’s a bit of pride in the shirt, then that will go a long way.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 pm

UTC
Completely agree. We are were in a group of 6 or 7 teams in a scrap before yesterday's game and we will be for the remainder of the season. It isn't pretty and we are taking plenty of knocks but we have to show some bottle. It's easy to support the team when times are good but it's now when your real loyalty is tested.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:27 pm

summitclaret wrote:You are right John. However, I for one am going to find it hard as I am so annoyed with the club regarding the last 2 transfer windows. It sort of serves them right really.

It needs the manager and players to show some fight. I think starting McNeil would help a lot to get the crowd going.
What's done is done, we have to move forward. We can't turn back the clock, only go with the hand we've been dealt.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 pm

summitclaret wrote:You are right John. However, I for one am going to find it hard as I am so annoyed with the club regarding the last 2 transfer windows. It sort of serves them right really.
That's the most babyish, sulky post I've seen so far. And there's been some serious competition for that accolade. Were you stamping your feet when you were typing it?
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Leisure

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Well said OP, All of our success in recent years has been entirely down to SD and his staff. No one can doubt we’re in a pickle and no, our current plight is not the fans’ fault, but we need to use these two home games to support the lads and show some character from the stands. You only have to look at Cardiff who looks dpiss poor a few weeks ago and have now hauled themselves out of the bottom 3.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 pm

I have to admit, the reaction from a lot of fans I've got a lot of time for on Saturday night was surprising.

We are not at the sacking SD stage yet, and I'm sure he's still the man to turn it around
These 3 users liked this post: jdrobbo simonclaret KateR

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:58 pm

I think the reaction last night, on the whole, was pretty fair when you consider what has been served up lately. No point in sugar coating it. We've been crap for long enough now.

That said, the OP is absolutely right in saying the crowd needs to stay with the team on the pitch. We have to hope that somehow they find a way out of this rut. All we can do is be patient with them if they make a few mistakes, get behind them throughout the game and hope for the best. After that, it's down to the lads on the pitch.

The main priority on Wednesday is to try and find that organised, tight defence we had last season, and frustrate Liverpool as much as possible. I'm not expecting a result, but we really need to avoid a hammering. We're fragile enough as it is right now.

After that, we simply have to beat Brighton at home next weekend. Biggest game of the season so far, and I think only a win will do.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:17 am

By hook or by crook, we have to defeat Brighton. We have to do our bit.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:10 am

If we throw a performance in against Brighton like we did against Huddersfield, Palace and Newcastle then the writing is certainly on the Wall for Dyche, and why should it not be?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:25 am

Top Claret wrote:If we throw a performance in against Brighton like we did against Huddersfield, Palace and Newcastle then the writing is certainly on the Wall for Dyche, and why should it not be?
You're on the wrong thread. Try a Dyche Out thread!

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 am

jdrobbo wrote:By hook or by crook, we have to defeat Brighton. We have to do our bit.
But dont forget Newcastle was not a must win game according to some fans and even Dyche himself.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 am

Get over it and move on. We either didn't want to or couldn't sign more players than we did, keep harping on about it is pointless!

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 am

Liverpool are on fire this season and there can't be many Burnley fans who will think we will win. However, it is a chance to show Sean and the team just how much we support them and still believe we deserve to be in the PL. Let's have plenty of "Sean Dyche's claret and blue army..."

If anyone wants to call for Sean to go, I suggest they quietly leave early, taking their negativity with them.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Saturday was appalling. However Wednesday as said above gives the players the chance to restore some much needed pride before a huge game Saturday.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:42 am

Lord Beamish wrote:You are, of course, right, John.

Those without the stomach for the fight should really think twice about coming.
Perhaps you should tell the players that. Something is wrong behind the scenes, it is obviously now not a temporary loss of form. Saturday was yet another total embarrassment. I'm not for heckling or protests and won't do that, but I will ask questions as to what is going on.
If we are going to get behind them what are we getting behind?

Are the players (or some of them) in dispute with Dyche or the club or both?

Why does Dyche continue to leave Vydra out of the team (and please no-one say 'Dyche knows best' - there is more to it than that surely).

Has Dyche lost the dressing room? I'm seriously beginning to think he has.

Here is the one that is really going to hurt a lot of people: is Dyche actually as good as we think he is? Is he too one dimensional is his tactics and is the reason he doesn't change simply because he can't?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions (and nor do any of us) but they sure as hell are pertinent. A lot of people are saying with optimism (and why not) that all will be well and the ship can be steadied but looking at the last 10 months I really am not so confident. At the moment, regardless of how much faith you put in Dyche or the players, we are sinking like a stone and there is no sign whatsoever of any kind of resolution, in fact it's getting worse.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

jdrobbo wrote:By hook or by crook, we have to defeat Brighton. We have to do our bit.
And we will!

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 pm

I couldn’t agree more with the OP. It’s time to show who we and show grit and fight,and join the players and SD in the trenches and start to embrace the dogfight we find ourselves in .A couple of real backs to the wall ( especially against Brighton - obligatory cliched obvious comment )performances could have everyone on their toes and start to relish what’s ahead .

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Come on people struggle to get enthusiastic at the best of times never mind when you're watching your team struggle, barely attack, have hardly any shots on target if at all and seem to not be fighting for each other like they were last season. Must be something easily pleased folk knocking about.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm

The trigger for this starts with the players. They have to get back to a committed showing. There doesn't have to be masses of skill on show - just whole hearted displays.
These 3 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret Steve-Harpers-perm IndigoLake

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:04 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:And we will!
What do you base that assumption on mate? Pure blind faith ain't working and every week someone posts something similar. I admire your confidence but confidence has to be based on something and at the moment our foundations are looking exceedingly shakey. A lot of people on this board don't like Brighton (not sure why) but they are not a bad side and at the moment I'd swap form in an instant.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Completely agree. We are were in a group of 6 or 7 teams in a scrap before yesterday's game and we will be for the remainder of the season. It isn't pretty and we are taking plenty of knocks but we have to show some bottle. It's easy to support the team when times are good but it's now when your real loyalty is tested.
Good post but the issue about loyalty is important. I don't think anyone is about to go on the Turf and start shouting 'Dyche out'. I don't think there will be protests or the throwing of ping pong balls or what have you, it's just people on here venting their spleen about what is going on. I think most, me included, want to see the man sort things out but this has been nigh on a year now. We have won 7 league games in a year. That is appalling and I cannot think of any club and any manager who would still be together after that. I'm not for sacking managers when things go a bit wrong but this isn't a bit wrong, it is massively, unbelievably wrong. We have effectively the same team as last season now that Defour and Brady are back, only Ward is missing from the back line (last couple of games excepted because of Tarks). Hart has been brilliant so it isn't the loss of Pope or Heaton unless your a conspiracy theorist (and I'm not sayin you are one of those). We have got a great looking player in Vydra that Dyche seems adamant he isn't going to use for some odd reason. We have just been massively turned over by a team that hadn't won a home game this season previously and it was in spectacular fashion. It is not the first time we have looked embarrassing. Okay we can't do anything about the Citys of this world but we are getting easily beaten by teams we need to beat.

Loyalty IS being tested. Not to the club because that is a given if you are a fan but to Dyche who, at the moment is living on past glories, and lest we forget he has got us relegated before. It's not time for him to go yet but unlike many on here I don't believe we should stick with him until the bitter end come what may.

A quick analogy: if you got married and had 5 brilliant years together then you found out that your wife had been cheating for the last 10 months what would you do?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:49 pm

houseboy wrote:What do you base that assumption on mate? Pure blind faith ain't working and every week someone posts something similar. I admire your confidence but confidence has to be based on something and at the moment our foundations are looking exceedingly shakey. A lot of people on this board don't like Brighton (not sure why) but they are not a bad side and at the moment I'd swap form in an instant.
I just have a very good feeling. Theyve a couple of key players missing. They looked shaky against huddersfield before the ref changed the game (rightly or wrongly) its a long trip up north to a grim Burnley and we usually do OK against teams travelling up that far. Southampton and Bournemouth always seem to get a game from us.

Plus, we have to win again some time and it looks as good a chance as any!

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Probably won't be the first time we need to rally this season
as can't see us suddenly getting a string of decent results and points on the board
especially looking at our next 5 or 6 fixtures.

We're still likely to be in the bottom three come Xmas/New Year but hopefully not
too far behind others.
The bad news is that teams like Huddersfield, Cardiff and Newcastle already
appear to have 'rallied' given they were 5 or 6 points behind us a month or so ago
and we can expect Southampton to do so as well.

The good news is that a few wins can shoot us up the table.
Even if those wins come in the New Year.

The starting point is to put in decent performances even if we lose.
That will give both fans and players hope that eventually we'll start turning it around.

We need something. Ideally starting tonight and continuing
on Saturday against Brighton.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:49 pm

houseboy wrote:What do you base that assumption on mate? Pure blind faith ain't working and every week someone posts something similar. I admire your confidence but confidence has to be based on something and at the moment our foundations are looking exceedingly shakey. A lot of people on this board don't like Brighton (not sure why) but they are not a bad side and at the moment I'd swap form in an instant.
cricketfieldclarets wrote:I just have a very good feeling. Theyve a couple of key players missing. They looked shaky against huddersfield before the ref changed the game (rightly or wrongly) its a long trip up north to a grim Burnley and we usually do OK against teams travelling up that far. Southampton and Bournemouth always seem to get a game from us.

Plus, we have to win again some time and it looks as good a chance as any!
What did I say :D

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Thank goodness for Barsdley and Barnes.

I agree with the op but has been said above, its a two way party.

Without these two against Liverpool I think we would have struggled today.
Well done to SD for the change which proved crucial. He now needs to grow a pair and do the same with Wood.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:42 pm

UTC
Cracking post drobbo m8 :D :D :D

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Personally, I think a lot of this comes down to how long you have been a supporter.

Once you've clocked up a few years the highs don't seem so high, the lows don't seem so low. The crucial factor this season is that we seem to be addressing the slide now. It's not January and we don't have a new (underwhelming) manager. The top six are so dominant that the points survival target is likely to be lower than usual.

Anyone whose expecting champagne football, the next six months are probably not going to be for you. I'm looking forward to seeing Burnley FC do what they do best, battling against the odds, us against the football world, achieving unexpected results and status however ugly ranked against the fanciful Sky TV utopia that would have you believe the current PL is modeled on the technical philosophy of a Cruyff-era Netherlands.

As a club lets stay focused, get back to doing what we do best and see where it takes us. There are too many people who post on here want us to be the false and unrealistic image of what they are spoon-fed we are supposed to be and not what we actually are.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 Lancasterclaret longsidepies

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:What did I say :D
And you were absolutely right mate. I must admit that after the 'honourable defeat' to Liverpool and then Saturday we seem to have found that bit of bite again, even MOTD said it was more like the Burnley of last season. And dare I say it (despite my many criticisms) has the factor in this been Bardsley? He was pretty damn good on Saturday. He has come in for stick (from me also) but he has added that fight that we looked like we had lost.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:48 am

houseboy wrote:And you were absolutely right mate. I must admit that after the 'honourable defeat' to Liverpool and then Saturday we seem to have found that bit of bite again, even MOTD said it was more like the Burnley of last season. And dare I say it (despite my many criticisms) has the factor in this been Bardsley? He was pretty damn good on Saturday. He has come in for stick (from me also) but he has added that fight that we looked like we had lost.
Bardsley showed the hunger, fight and bite that has been missing. And they all followed suit. Any suggestion that they weren't playing for Dyche surely put to bed?

I thought we were outstanding on Wednesday given the opposition. And Saturday ground out a gritty win. Which is exactly what we need. Results are the most important thing right now. And players who have experience of battling and the appetite for a battle. Bardsley is exactly that.

He definitely isnt the future. And that needs addressing. But having Bardsley in is perfect for the here and now. (And im a big Lowton fan).
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am

As a long time fan who wants us to play better football this summer was the perfect chance to adapt, for whatever reasons we failed in transfers and come back to key players struggling with injuries and a lot just out of form.
We deservedly hit rock bottom but the fans have re-adjusted expectations and instead of waiting to be entertained we are actively supporting every challenge and little bits of good play.
Bardsley has made a massive difference to this and is rubbing off on the other players. It's a great kick start but it won't last for ever so players have to get back in form but for now players and hostile crowd together can claw us back.

Here's to Saturday and maintaining our good record at Wembley.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:50 am

The other thing, which I suspect Dyche knows is that Bardsley probably wont last all season. And that in turn will only make Lowton hungrier.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:52 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Bardsley showed the hunger, fight and bite that has been missing. And they all followed suit. Any suggestion that they weren't playing for Dyche surely put to bed?

I thought we were outstanding on Wednesday given the opposition. And Saturday ground out a gritty win. Which is exactly what we need. Results are the most important thing right now. And players who have experience of battling and the appetite for a battle. Bardsley is exactly that.

He definitely isnt the future. And that needs addressing. But having Bardsley in is perfect for the here and now. (And im a big Lowton fan).
Agree with you totally mate. Lowton is a good player but in Bardsley have we got our new (temporary) Barton? Obviously in a different position but maybe if he could 'take command' in the way Barton used to we might just find a way out of all this. Here's hoping.
The only caveat on this is how often he would play (he does have a habit of getting booked, which is not a criticism, just a natural consequence of his game).

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm

houseboy wrote:Agree with you totally mate. Lowton is a good player but in Bardsley have we got our new (temporary) Barton? Obviously in a different position but maybe if he could 'take command' in the way Barton used to we might just find a way out of all this. Here's hoping.
The only caveat on this is how often he would play (he does have a habit of getting booked, which is not a criticism, just a natural consequence of his game).
Thats what I mean. When he inevitably gets 5 yellows Lowton will come back in and wont want to lose the shirt.
This user liked this post: houseboy

WestMidsClaret

Post by WestMidsClaret » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:08 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thats what I mean. When he inevitably gets 5 yellows Lowton will come back in and wont want to lose the shirt.
You could add a red card to that scenario :lol:
He dances very close to the edge let's just say.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:06 pm

WestMidsClaret wrote:You could add a red card to that scenario :lol:
He dances very close to the edge let's just say.
The crazy thing is he rarely gets sent off. PErhaps refs are scared of him!

WestMidsClaret

Post by WestMidsClaret » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:11 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:The crazy thing is he rarely gets sent off. PErhaps refs are scared of him!
True bit he's always very close to it :twisted: