Mark Hughes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Re: Mark Hughes

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 am

MRG wrote:All that yet they overlooked the need to strengthen the team in order to remain competitive at this level.
That simply isn’t true.

The Club and manager have always looked to strengthen the team. However, getting signings isn’t easy. Some players simply don’t want to live in the North or play for Burnley. Others have unrealistic ideas about how much they should be paid. I think they have said time and time again how disappointing it has been. The Club recently signed Rigg to assist Seanin attracting better signings.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:25 am

MRG wrote:All that yet they overlooked the need to strengthen the team in order to remain competitive at this level.
And yet many clubs who have thrown millions trying to stay in the Prem still get relegated.

Clubs like Stoke spent a fair amount during their stay in the PL - and where exactly did it get them?

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 am

I’m simply not accepting that we struggled to make the signing clubs like Hudds managed. It appears that Jay and Dawson were the players that we wanted (if they were the right targets is a separate matter) yet we miss out by a couple of million here or there. Presumably the club feel that these players were needed to keep us competitive in this league. For the sake of a ‘couple of million’ we potentially now miss out on hundreds of millions should we be relegated because we settle for players that weren’t our top targets and this is proven by the fact that they can’t get near the team.

It’s crazy how far we have come that I’m typing ‘a few million’ but I feel that clouds a lot of peoples opinion. Too many fans are happy to be the overachieving small club when I believe that putting sentiment to one side we could be a settle premier league team

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 am

Not related to this thread
Last edited by Top Claret on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:56 am

MRG wrote:I’m simply not accepting that we struggled to make the signing clubs like Hudds managed.
You do realise Huddersfield signed two strikers that even their own fans question, especially considering that neither Steve Mounié or Laurent Depoitre have scored this season.

It really is scraping the barrel if we should be comparing ourselves to failures from other clubs!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 323 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by Woonderbah » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm

jlup1980 wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here but what on earth makes you think our board world appoint Hughes, Moyes or Big Sam?

This coming from a club who appointed Coyle, Howe and Dyche. The club was in the eye of a storm when they appointed Laws, but other than that they have a type, which isn't any of the names you mentioned.

If Dyche was sacked we'd be more likely to try someone like Jokanovic in my opinion. Young, point to prove, experienced in the Championship if the worst happens.
I'd be happy with Jokanovic.
No compensation to pay.
A bonus payment incentive to keep us up.
Can attract players from outside UK.
Free flowing exciting attacking football.
Knows the Championship if we drop.
A breath of fresh air.
These 3 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret Blackrod jlup1980

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:39 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:We could pot Dyche get Hughes and give the whoppers on here what they deserve
:lol: Brilliant.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6419 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Woonderbah wrote:I'd be happy with Jokanovic.
No compensation to pay.
A bonus payment incentive to keep us up.
Can attract players from outside UK.
Free flowing exciting attacking football.
Knows the Championship if we drop.
A breath of fresh air.
Spent £100M on players and still struggled. Although he is the best option anyone has proposed, but still a massive risk.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Please please please Southampton take Dyche off our hands. It would be the best piece of business since selling Wayne Thomas to them.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Spent £100M on players and still struggled. Although he is the best option anyone has proposed, but still a massive risk.
Who spent £100m? It's widely known that Jokanovic had little or nothing to do with transfers at Fulham. They had a full team in the background analysing statistics of players and a Director of Football making the calls.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm

jlup1980 wrote:Who spent £100m? It's widely known that Jokanovic had little or nothing to do with transfers at Fulham. They had a full team in the background analysing statistics of players and a Director of Football making the calls.
Cant see Jokanovic going anywhere that Mike Rigg is. They worked together for 12 months at Fulham and it didn't really work out well until Rigg actually got potted.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Mark Hughes is to football management what Diane Abbott is to politics.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:47 pm

ewanrob wrote:It may well be that Sean realises he has gone as far as he can with us, and he might just fancy a pop at a club like Southampton who will back him on transfers and wages. This is the issue, we have never really seen what he could do if he was allowed to bring in who he wanted...he's probably as p***** off right now as we are.
Saints board said a couple of weeks ago there would be no funds available as they wanted the club to be self sufficient

ewanrob
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Saints board said a couple of weeks ago there would be no funds available as they wanted the club to be self sufficient
If thats the case, you would think they may struggle to get a decent manager...most would want some of their own signings on board I would have thought.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:54 pm

ewanrob wrote:If thats the case, you would think they may struggle to get a decent manager...most would want some of their own signings on board I would have thought.
ex RB Leipzig manager looks nailed on for it

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 pm

BennyD wrote:Mark Hughes is to football management what Diane Abbott is to politics.
Don't say that.

Martin and Turtle will want him to come.

ewanrob
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:ex RB Leipzig manager looks nailed on for it
Just read a little about him, seems to be a decent manager and working or worked with someone who brought Pochettino to the Saints

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:If you appoint BFS/Pulis (and possibly Moyes) then you increase your chances of staying up, but you know that will be it. Once you are safe, the team won't push on and the football will be unwatchable
haha the football we play now is unwatchable, even BFS's football is better than this. It was only watchable for us supporters last season when we were winning. Even then it wasn't very watchable for anyone else, how many times did we get shown on SKY/BT last season, lets be honest in the Premier League we are pretty much a borefest for the average supporter.

If I want my kids to fall asleep I put us on the tv, it works like a charm every time.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:They are, but I'm never going to stop pointing out that if we replace him, we need to have a replacement lined up who will improve the results and the football.

If you appoint BFS/Pulis (and possibly Moyes) then you increase your chances of staying up, but you know that will be it. Once you are safe, the team won't push on and the football will be unwatchable. That is one thing that you can guarantee under SD is that he's played decent stuff and pushed into a place above our wildest dreams.

To me, that deserves him getting more time than he's getting on here from some (though I fully respect those I know who think differently)
What did you make of Dyche before we hired him?

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Getting rid of Hughes may work for Southampton but selling the club to a Chinese investor most certainly hasn't.

Selling their better players to put the club in the black in order to attract a buyer was the strategy set out by Katherina Liebherr according to a fan phone in.

She also lobbied on the issue of a 'fit and proper person' but the buyer can't get his money out of China.

For all the crap we are going through on the pitch at the moment, I wouldn't us to be the next Southampton.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:They are, but I'm never going to stop pointing out that if we replace him, we need to have a replacement lined up who will improve the results and the football.

If you appoint BFS/Pulis (and possibly Moyes) then you increase your chances of staying up, but you know that will be it. Once you are safe, the team won't push on and the football will be unwatchable. That is one thing that you can guarantee under SD is that he's played decent stuff and pushed into a place above our wildest dreams.

To me, that deserves him getting more time than he's getting on here from some (though I fully respect those I know who think differently)

When was this decent stuff we played under Dyche then? I'll give you the first promotion season when all the flair came from the likes of Trippier, Ings and Stanislas who Eddie Howe signed. Since then for the most part it has been absolutely dire. Even the year we won the Championship apart from Brentford away how many games did you come off and think we played really well? Not dug in and ground out a result, actually played good football and beat a team convincingly?
This user liked this post: claretfern

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 pm

jrgbfc wrote:When was this decent stuff we played under Dyche then? I'll give you the first promotion season when all the flair came from the likes of Trippier, Ings and Stanislas who Eddie Howe signed. Since then for the most part it has been absolutely dire. Even the year we won the Championship apart from Brentford away how many games did you come off and think we played really well? Not dug in and ground out a result, actually played good football and beat a team convincingly?
Some of the stuff last season was fantastic. Even West Ham fans were full of praise for us and Dyche after we'd beaten them 3-0.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 pm

jrgbfc wrote:When was this decent stuff we played under Dyche then? I'll give you the first promotion season when all the flair came from the likes of Trippier, Ings and Stanislas who Eddie Howe signed. Since then for the most part it has been absolutely dire. Even the year we won the Championship apart from Brentford away how many games did you come off and think we played really well? Not dug in and ground out a result, actually played good football and beat a team convincingly?
MK Dons away in the same period immediately springs to mind for one

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Why are you pointing out individual matches to someone who has told himself that

- We were good when we got promoted, but thats is because of three players

- reckons thats it

I mean, you can't talk to people who defend their narrative by making stuff up to suit it.

Of course we haven't always played football under SD, but at the same time the argument that its always been rubbish is ********.

We have played good stuff under him, and in the premier league as well. That puts him above the long ball, safety first managers like BFS and Pulis.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Why are you pointing out individual matches to someone who has told himself that

- We were good when we got promoted, but thats is because of three players

- reckons thats it

I mean, you can't talk to people who defend their narrative by making stuff up to suit it.

Of course we haven't always played football under SD, but at the same time the argument that its always been rubbish is ********.

We have played good stuff under him, and in the premier league as well. That puts him above the long ball, safety first managers like BFS and Pulis.
For all we like to criticise Pulis and Allardyce, to suggest that their teams didn’t play some decent football, is untrue. Much the same as with Dyche, theirs is / was more ‘mixed football’.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Thats not what the fans of the clubs they have managed say DCWat with the greatest respect.

Its an absolute chore to watch when teams go "safety first" in their style. We can be a chore to watch no doubt, but we've achieved our best results and positions when we've played decent stuff.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 pm

I seem to remember BFS sides at Bolton playing some lovely football ..Okocha , Djorkaeff et al. were not long ball merchants.They mixed it up with the likes of Kevin Davies in the side but to characteŕise his career as being solely about long ball just isnt true

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:34 pm

If Dyche played decent football he'd have been offered another job by now. For me the only thing putting teams off has been the rank bad football he serves up. And like it or not he hasn't yet got the track record of Allardyce or Pulis of keeping teams up.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:46 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If Dyche played decent football he'd have been offered another job by now. For me the only thing putting teams off has been the rank bad football he serves up. And like it or not he hasn't yet got the track record of Allardyce or Pulis of keeping teams up.
So you think Everton hired BFS because they knew they would get attractive football as well as making sure they stayed up?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm

I'd love you to back that up with your posts from last year saying exactly that jrgbfc

If you want BFS or Pulis in charge because you know they will keep you up is your prerogative. If I thought that SD would be playing long ball stuff forever, then I'd want him sacked right now. Because he's proved he can play decent stuff and make us massive overachievers, then he's still got my support.

I'm not interested in just staying up at all costs to be honest, and I feel that would be the case under both Pulis or BFS.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Don't say that.

Martin and Turtle will want him to come.
They can’t be so stupid, can they?

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Spijed wrote:So you think Everton hired BFS because they knew they would get attractive football as well as making sure they stayed up?
No I think they panicked and went for Allardyce because he has a track record of keeping teams up. They accepted the football wouldn't be great.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'd love you to back that up with your posts from last year saying exactly that jrgbfc

If you want BFS or Pulis in charge because you know they will keep you up is your prerogative. If I thought that SD would be playing long ball stuff forever, then I'd want him sacked right now. Because he's proved he can play decent stuff and make us massive overachievers, then he's still got my support.

I'm not interested in just staying up at all costs to be honest, and I feel that would be the case under both Pulis or BFS.
To be honest I wouldn't want Allardyce or Pulis anywhere near the Turf. I'm the opposite of that really, I'd rather be watching us play decent football in the Championship than playing negative, long ball stuff with the sole intention of finishing 17th in the Prem every year.
These 3 users liked this post: IndigoLake Lancasterclaret claretfern

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Thats not what the fans of the clubs they have managed say DCWat with the greatest respect.

Its an absolute chore to watch when teams go "safety first" in their style. We can be a chore to watch no doubt, but we've achieved our best results and positions when we've played decent stuff.
Many will have said that, Lancaster and I don’t dispute that their style isn’t renowned for attractive football.
Stoke and Bolton both played some OK football in and amongst being powerful sides, their fans may not have thought so but as an outside seeing their games on tele, they weren’t all bad. Just as we aren’t.

The problem with our style is that it’s not great on the way, which is acceptable when results come. When they don’t, it’s easier to become frustrated quickly.

There has been some great football under Dyche, it seems a long time ago now though. I’m not advocating Dyche being sacked but I do want the style of play sorting bloody quickly.

You’re right, our best results have come when we’ve played a bit of football.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:38 pm

Wolves got rid of Mick Mccarthy and went onto drop two divisions.
Rovers got rid of BFS and dropped two divisions.
Charlton got rid of Curbishley and...

Stoke,Swansea, West Brom all wanted better football

Plenty of others as well.

Has any club wanting a better playing style, ever recovered from sacking a fairly successful manager?

The bottom line is we sack SD and the odds are against it ending well. History tells you as much.
This user liked this post: boyyanno

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:40 pm

I don't agree with the championship bit Jrgbfc, and my question on BFS and Pulis was really meant for random, but I'm glad that you don't want either of them

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Spijed wrote:Wolves got rid of Mick Mccarthy and went onto drop two divisions.

Has any club wanting a better playing style, ever recovered from sacking a fairly successful manager?

The bottom line is we sack SD and the odds are against it ending well. History tells you as much.
To be fair most of the people advocating a change are driven from changing the results not the playing style. Any "playing style" argument is largely in response to a "what if we go down anyway and can;'t get back up" line.

i'm in two minds myself. I'm not keen on potting managers because any impact is usually only short term - changing is for changing direction and over the past few years we've been trying to progress step by step. The issue here is whether changing would jeopardise the longer term. Sean's record for winning promotion is great but could he really do it again???

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:23 pm

MRG wrote:Running a club is most definitely not a easy task with so many different people to please. For me, we had to bet a little in order to stay in this league as I worry dropping down will be equally as difficult with the amount of money some clubs have in there. The lack of investment in the first team in the summer was criminal. Not everybody agrees but I think that it’s time to look towards an investor with deep pockets. I hear the horror stories and am aware of the examples where this went spectacularly wrong but the clubs where this is work far outweigh the clubs that it didn’t work
Well it's not going swimmingly for us right now so a wise investor would be welcome to me and I'm sure others. Not strengthening our depleted midfield in the last window was indeed criminal. Paying the price now.
This user liked this post: claretfern

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:31 pm

Bottom line is those clubs you mentioned held in to the managers too long , you just can’t see it
2 wins from 19 is appalling and I’m not sure how anyone can defend that .

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:37 pm

joey13 wrote:Bottom line is those clubs you mentioned held in to the managers too long , you just can’t see it
2 wins from 19 is appalling and I’m not sure how anyone can defend that .
Really? Go on the Rovers forum and every supporter on there would rather have BFS than Tony Mowbray. They really regret getting rid of Fat Sam big time.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Spijed wrote:Really? Go on the Rovers forum and every supporter on there would rather have BFS than Tony Mowbray. They really regret getting rid of Fat Sam big time.
I would rather not go on the Rovers forum thanks

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Im not sure why Swansea are mentioned here. They played some good stuff under different managers in the PL. Hughes had Stoke going well until Arnautovic and co got above their stations. West Brom have always gone up and down regardless of Pulis. Same at Blackburn too. The only club like ours you mentioned in Charlton. Clubs like Burnley, Huddersfield, Charlton, Bradford, Blackpool whoever, will at some point be relegated from the PL.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:34 pm

I think that's a very good point.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 pm

We're going 1 way anyway. Might as well give staying up a go, instead of surrendering pathetically every game.