No cap doffing from the many critics after tonight

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

No cap doffing from the many critics after tonight

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:38 am

expected as much, tonight was an example of what fight is all about, granted we gained no points, but that was true grit. He made changes, and the spirit was uplifting. Had the disallowed strike (which was outstanding) have been given, we would have had them on the ropes.
Nothing wrong with that team display, we are up and coming, and losing to an unbeaten liverpool is no disgrace.
UTC.
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret SussexDon1inIreland

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4035 times

Re: No cap doffing from the many critics after tonight

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 am

Thought we were superb tonight. Really good show by the boys, reminiscent of last season. Keep it going!!!
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin SussexDon1inIreland

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 am

The glass half empty lot will view it as 0 points. Which is fine. But also confusing as many say they are more interested in performance over result. So cant have it both ways.

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:45 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:The glass half empty lot will view it as 0 points. Which is fine. But also confusing as many say they are more interested in performance over result. So cant have it both ways.
Be ace if we could have both!! Weirdly id settle for a great game like tonight, tricked myself into thinking it was a draw

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 am

I for one have been a massive critic so far this season. Not just for performances but going into the season I felt the fans were let down with a poor tranafer window and lack of ambition. I knew we had a fight on our hands this season and a lot of teams who were in transition last year seem to have settled down.

What I didnt enjoy was the lack of fight and how disjointed we have looked. The way we have swapped and changed without using players like Vydra, Gibson and to a lesser degree McNeil.

Tonight was back to what we are good at. Yes there were a few mistakes here and there but massive improvement against a side that can bring Salah and Firmino off the bench.

On a side note though I said at half time against Palace that Defour would get hooked in the 2nd half and I doubt we will see him play again. As good as he is at this moment of time I just feel Westwood is more of a fighter and that we will be looking in January for a more combative midfielder than Defour. This season we are i a struggle and I just think Defour is a passenger we cant afford to carry.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:Be ace if we could have both!! Weirdly id settle for a great game like tonight, tricked myself into thinking it was a draw
Well we had shots and a goal its good enough :D
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:49 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Well we had shots and a goal its good enough :D
We also had fight and spirit, something we have been sadly devoid of, already looking forward to Saturday

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I for one have been a massive critic so far this season. Not just for performances but going into the season I felt the fans were let down with a poor tranafer window and lack of ambition. I knew we had a fight on our hands this season and a lot of teams who were in transition last year seem to have settled down.

What I didnt enjoy was the lack of fight and how disjointed we have looked. The way we have swapped and changed without using players like Vydra, Gibson and to a lesser degree McNeil.

Tonight was back to what we are good at. Yes there were a few mistakes here and there but massive improvement against a side that can bring Salah and Firmino off the bench.

On a side note though I said at half time against Palace that Defour would get hooked in the 2nd half and I doubt we will see him play again. As good as he is at this moment of time I just feel Westwood is more of a fighter and that we will be looking in January for a more combative midfielder than Defour. This season we are i a struggle and I just think Defour is a passenger we cant afford to carry.
I love Defour. And we need a squad full of talented players like him. Its a travesty that we only have one of that calibre after so long at this level. BUT I completely agree. His fragility is something we cant afford. And while we are in a struggle we need players who can consistently play. He will be an excellent option. But for me he is no longer first choice in there. And thats not on talent.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 am

Fancy some fans saying we have been crap when we have played crap and then saying we played well or with fight when we actually do it.

Imagine football fans being honest and saying it how it is.
These 6 users liked this post: summitclaret joey13 Enola Gay Murger MrTopTier elwaclaret

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:....and I just think Defour is a passenger we cant afford to carry.
That might be pretty academic, I would have thought, given Defours track record in getting over injuries.
Don't know how serious or trivial this latest one is, but he doesn't seem to shake them off quickly.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Fancy some fans saying we have been crap when we have played crap and then saying we played well or with fight when we actually do it.

Imagine football fans being honest and saying it how it is.

utter shite, and you know it
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by IndigoLake » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 am

If you haven't seen any "cap doffing" then you haven't looked very hard. There have been a lot of posters acknowledging the effort in last night's performance - even those who have been critical of late, myself included. Dyche and the players deserved that criticism as they were putting in consistently abysmal displays. Last night was a huge improvement - it was great to see that kind of effort and energy on display. However, we need to repeat that against Brighton and going forward or we'll be in big trouble (we already are really).
These 4 users liked this post: joey13 HiroshimaClaret BOYSIE31 tiger76

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 am

We played much better last night and that is more like it. Let's not get carried away though eh ? On the whole this season we have been abysmally poor. Let's see if we can get some points on Saturday. We need them and it will not be an easy game.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am

Whilst better. That’s not get carried away they upped m their game against title chasing and CL runners up Liverpool. Brighton here next. They must show the same commitment or fans will really start to turn. Must win on Saturday now. Expecially with the next set of tough fixtures coming thick and fast.
This user liked this post: mickleoverclaret

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 am

Tons better. However i was amazed that hendrick did not replace wood immediately we went in front. Like he should have at half time against huddersfield.

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 am

I agree with virtually all of the above. A superb display. But that was a against a high flying star studded Liverpool side, a night game, in front of a raucous full house. If you can't get up for that and raise your game then you shouldn't be a footballer.

My concern therefore is, having put in that performance can we do the same against the likes of Brighton on Saturday. That's the real test and one of a few that will eventually determine our season.
These 2 users liked this post: HiroshimaClaret tiger76

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am

HAven`t seen the whole match as physically impossible but going off the match day thread...much better! I saw the highlights and indeed, the `offside` goal of Barnes was an absolute cracker. He has that in his locker like no other in our line-up so has to be played. Nice to hear that Bardsley put a stormer in and sounds like on the whole fight was there in abundance. I am `one of the critics` and have been questioning Dyche`s ability to turn the dire football around but yes, if we can emulate what sounds like a much better team display (if you can`t get up for Liverpool though at home in an evening game you never will) again and again and again (not just a one-off against one of the glamour teams) against teams we should be competing against, a la Brighton with what seems like a couple of key players out, then that will go far in allaying fears of our team disintegrating.
This user liked this post: Narwhalchomper

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 am

Nothing to do with cap doffing, most people just acknowledging the players for giving maximum effort.

It was hardly a racous full house last night though, I haven't seen as many empty seats for a long time. At least 20 ST seats empty in just 2 rows where we sit in Block 3 JHU.

Good effort thwarted by quality in the end. Westwood, Bardsley and Barnes set the tempo, Tarkowski and Mee looked comfortable for the most part.

Chris Wood needs a goal or two and you don't get the time to mess about against top quality sides. If you are put in, hit it without trying to get it on your 'good (only) foot'. We have too many players who look completely one footed at times.

Brighton up next, another side having a very good season so far...

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 am

JohnMac wrote:Nothing to do with cap doffing, most people just acknowledging the players for giving maximum effort.

It was hardly a racous full house last night though, I haven't seen as many empty seats for a long time. At least 20 ST seats empty in just 2 rows where we sit in Block 3 JHU...
Think there were some missed the game because of traffic problems.

1989_claret
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by 1989_claret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 am

Think some need a reality check.

We stepped up our game against a top 4/title challenging side who rested their front three.

We simply painted over the cracks.

Let’s see how we get on on Saturday in a must win game before we start getting ahead of ourselves.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 am

Its not a must win game although we do need to make sure we don't revert to the stuff that's been dished up previously.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 am

1989_claret wrote:Think some need a reality check.

We stepped up our game against a top 4/title challenging side who rested their front three.

Let’s see how we get on on Saturday in a must win game before we start getting ahead of ourselves.

Quite right too, you tell people not to enjoy a good performance against Liverpool.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:47 am

1989_claret wrote:Think some need a reality check.

Liverpools second string is still as good as most first teams

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 am

Due to being crazilly late home because of gridlock around Acrrington and rushing off with my wife after to see my father-in-law (terminally ill sadly) I know nothing of last nights game other than the score and the scorers but I have to say that the result itself was not bad and certainly better than I predicted.
Unfortunately last night the football wasn't the first thing on my mind (the game was over before I even checked the score) but I hope that this isn't a false dawn and that we can take what I believe was a very good display into the games against lesser teams and hopefully start picking up some points.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:Its not a must win game although we do need to make sure we don't revert to the stuff that's been dished up previously.
I disagree it is a must win game because we have spurs and arsenal away after so need 3 vital points now

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:09 am

The thing is that even though we lost, it was a good game to watch.

If I'm going to pay petrol, S/T costs etc etc, I don't want to be doing that and being bored/frustrated/hating it
These 3 users liked this post: IndigoLake cricketfieldclarets Blackrod

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 am

25% possession and 59% pass accuracy suggests that we still have some way to go

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:54 am

We played very well last night. But I do want to reserve judgement until after Saturdays game. We simply cannot afford to throw one in now on Saturday because we need some momentum.

I see your match stats MRG but they seem acceptable because our tactic was clearly to get the ball into Liverpool’s half a damn sight quicker than we have been doing of late we disposed of that side to side backwards and then Lump it crap we’ve been serving this season but this created a lot of 50/50s but for the first time this season we really got about the opposition with some good pressing and tackling. Brighton will let us have more time on the ball but I think we need to adopt exactly the same approach as last night get it forward early and defend from there.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Frenchclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:57 am

If its the same level of intensity, then we can put the "He's not up to it" stuff to bed. Doesn't mean we have to win, but we have to be 100% like that from the start.

If its not that level, then we are in a world of trouble
These 2 users liked this post: RocketLawnChair 4:20

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I for one have been a massive critic so far this season. Not just for performances but going into the season I felt the fans were let down with a poor tranafer window and lack of ambition. I knew we had a fight on our hands this season and a lot of teams who were in transition last year seem to have settled down.

I thought that if we'd had a good defensive midfielder they would really have struggled to score. Also I think Hart could out more high balls. Second goal perhaps a goos example. But all in all a goos performance and we didnt have any luck. Wood has been roundly crtisized nd he is definitley not combative but he was plsying againts possible the best CH around at the moment.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:51 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I disagree it is a must win game because we have spurs and arsenal away after so need 3 vital points now
In our position it's a must win game,even more so now they are missing Duffy and Murray,December has 3 winnable home games,Brighton,Everton and West Ham,if we can amass 7/9 points from those then the North London games are free hits.

January looks better on paper even the trip to Old Trafford doesn't have the fear factor it once did,but we have to put points on the board ASAP to give ourselves a chance,one swallow doesn't make a summer,last night was a vast improvement against a quality team,but our bread and butter is the remaining fixtures against teams outwith the top six.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 pm

MRG wrote:25% possession and 59% pass accuracy suggests that we still have some way to go
Its better than the stats when we beat them :D :D

In all seriousness though, the pressure we put them under tells more of a story. How many times did they slice the ball out of play, pass it to the wrong man, fall over etc. We harried them all game.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Think there were some missed the game because of traffic problems.
Saw that later on, hopefully it was the case. There will have been a few put of by the weather no doubt who didn't travel.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Decent enough performance last night, but...

We still lost.

We’re still in the bottom three.

We’ll still be relegated.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:expected as much, tonight was an example of what fight is all about, granted we gained no points, but that was true grit. He made changes, and the spirit was uplifting. Had the disallowed strike (which was outstanding) have been given, we would have had them on the ropes.
Nothing wrong with that team display, we are up and coming, and losing to an unbeaten liverpool is no disgrace.
UTC.
The disallowed strike haha it was yards offside you make it sound like we were robbed.
Liverpool were poor last night and we couldn’t take advantage.We deservedly went one up and then Class took over.
Defensively we were shocking yet again

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2693 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Wood is so poor at the moment.
4th striker

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 pm

MRG wrote:25% possession and 59% pass accuracy suggests that we still have some way to go
Pre match Dyche was talking about the passing stats in the Newcastle game as though we were unlucky. Most of that was in our own half though and we weren't hurting the opposition. Last night we were hurting the opposition and as mentioned above the posession stats were v low when we beat Liverpool and probably for most games last season. We need to treat Saturday as a cup final though because anything was than last nights intensity then we will probably lose.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Good to watch and great to be part of a crowd getting behind the lads.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5660 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:expected as much, tonight was an example of what fight is all about, granted we gained no points, but that was true grit. He made changes, and the spirit was uplifting. Had the disallowed strike (which was outstanding) have been given, we would have had them on the ropes.
UTC.
look at me look at me :lol:
This user liked this post: Belial

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:look at me look at me :lol:

She loves it doesn't she!

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Tinribs wrote:The disallowed strike haha it was yards offside you make it sound like we were robbed.
Liverpool were poor last night and we couldn’t take advantage.We deservedly went one up and then Class took over.
Defensively we were shocking yet again

I wouldn't say we were shocking defensively. We played much better and all of the shape, tackles, blocks, etc. was almost back to normal, although we gave Milner too much space and time, and turned off for the 2nd

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:look at me look at me :lol:
and of course when you post, its somehow , and strangely different , but only you know how.

dross, and pathetic dross, but you make sure you get those killer and eloquent insults in won't you, night night you clever insightful amoeba. xx

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5660 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:and of course when you post, its somehow , and strangely different , but only you know how.

dross, and pathetic dross, but you make sure you get those killer and eloquent insults in won't you, night night you clever insightful amoeba. xx
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: