Clarets Legends Xmas Do

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RidgeClaret
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Clarets Legends Xmas Do

Post by RidgeClaret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am

Bumped into 72/73 Clarets in Sawyers Arms, Manchester last night meeting up prior to their annual Christmas get together at the BemBrazil.

Geoff Nulty, Paul Fletcher, Colin Waldron, Dobbo, Frank Casper & Jim Thompson with Stan thrown in for good measure. All great company and happy to talk about anything Burnley and particularly the great day at Deepdale in 1973 when we won the then 2nd division championship - which was my first away game without parental control!!!

Paul Fletcher is the glue that sticks em all together apparently & earlier this year on their other annual trip to the Lakes he took them on a detour to visit Dave Thomas at his home. He has 2 guide dogs paid for by the PFA called "Kindo" & "Claret" and is in great spirits.

Brilliant that they all still meet up and are good mates. Imagine today's Premier League superstars still meeting up after 45 years???
These 14 users liked this post: whiffa Royboyclaret joey13 mybloodisclaret Quickenthetempo Ashingtonclaret46 Andingle conyoviejo LordBob beddie Rumpelstiltskin Juan Tanamera claretfern ashtonlongsider

Leisure
Been Liked: 3814 times
Has Liked: 12505 times

Re: Clarets Legends Xmas Do

Post by Leisure » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am

Yeap, that was an excellent team! UTC

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1284 times
Has Liked: 683 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:57 am

Bumping into those lads on a night out is the stuff of dreams!

Season 1973/74 was one of my favourite ever as a Claret and was similar in many ways to last season. We finished 6th in the top league and I remember when we were still unbeaten after the first seven games thinking that anything was possible that season. That line up had the perfect balance with each player complementing the other, so little surprise that they performed so well.

The names just trip off the tongue.......Stevenson, Noble, Newton, Dobson, Waldron, Thomson, Nulty, Casper, Fletcher, Collins & James. A fantastic side representing our Club and brilliant that most of them still meet up to reminisce about great times gone by.
These 8 users liked this post: joey13 Ashingtonclaret46 Leisure RidgeClaret Rumpelstiltskin Juan Tanamera claretfern ashtonlongsider

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 am

Brilliant

Andingle
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by Andingle » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Dont forget the Ginger Pele , Billy Ingham R.I.P
These 3 users liked this post: RidgeClaret Ashingtonclaret46 Royboyclaret

RidgeClaret
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by RidgeClaret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm

You're right Royboy it was the stuff of dreams.

So many old stories to remember, Nulty talked about hitting the bar in Cup semi, Fletcher overhead kick at Leeds (said he had only watched it 6 times this week on YouTube!!!), Waldron how Tommy Doc turned up with 25 big ones in a holdall (allegedly) when he signed for Man U too many to mention.

Stevo doesn't keep in touch anymore, Taffy down in South Wales I think & Doug Collins very successful businessman in Australia.

Nulty has his own businesses and just remarried at 69 yeae of age!!!

Priceless
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Juan Tanamera

Andingle
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by Andingle » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:45 pm

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/features ... ns-197273/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 5 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 RidgeClaret Juan Tanamera claretfern HunterST_BFC

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Superb team photo at the link, Andingle.

Remarkable that both seasons, '72/'73 & '73/'74 we relied pretty much on just 14 players.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:Superb team photo at the link, Andingle.

Remarkable that both seasons, '72/'73 & '73/'74 we relied pretty much on just 14 players.
Aye, royboy, but they were all good players! The game was much better to watch in those days though, with the mixture of players who could tackle, skilful players who honed their skills and all performing on pitches that varied so much from week to week and equipment that was still fairly basic.
I worry about the modern game and just where it is going.
These 2 users liked this post: Royboyclaret claretfern

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 pm

Take your point, Ashington.

Adamson placed so much emphasis on technical ability (hardly surprising having played behind Mac all those years), with the likes of Dobson, Collins, James and even Keith Newton so comfortable on the ball.

We only have Defour now that fits into that category.

Bop
Been Liked: 244 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

I’m sorry to bring it up again.....DOBBO turned up as the guest at my 50th a few years ago, and at the end of the night he told me about their regular get-togethers, and asked me to join them a night later in Manchester for a drink. I sh1t out - it would have been too overwhelming - imagine being in the company of gods as a mere mortal.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:43 am

Royboyclaret wrote:Bumping into those lads on a night out is the stuff of dreams!

The names just trip off the tongue.......Stevenson, Noble, Newton, Dobson, Waldron, Thomson, Nulty, Casper, Fletcher, Collins & James. A fantastic side representing our Club and brilliant that most of them still meet up to reminisce about great times gone by.
Royboy your bringing tears to my eyes. Think a special word must also go to Jimmy Adamson. He was a coach very much ahead of the game.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:23 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:Think a special word must also go to Jimmy Adamson. He was a coach very much ahead of the game.
Waldron thought he was God, Fletcher was a disciple as were Dobbo & Mick Doc but you will get a very different answer about Adamson from such as Kindon, Thomas, Nulty & Thomson from that group.

I know most of these lads well and they are all terrific company although Waldron had better watch out, how dare he flash a V sign at me from Costa Coffee when I was walking past recently. :D

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:35 am

Mention of Dave Thomas, and a couple of years ago when they did a trip to Scotland (and if anyone sees Jim Thomson ask him about his new shoes), they all called in to see John Angus.

And I know who much some of these lads did for Peter Noble when he was ill. They take the mickey out of each other all the time but are always there for each other.
This user liked this post: Jacka

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:31 am

John Angus will have made up 80 years during this year. Hope they found him healthy and well.

Angus was well respected at Burnley and one of the most cultured players to have worn the Claret shirt. Just a pity he and Keith Newton missed each other by just one season as I can't imagine a better full-back pairing than those two.