Time wasting

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Time wasting

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Nice when it winds up like that :mrgreen:
These 3 users liked this post: Wexford_Claret Lord Beamish THEWELLERNUT70

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Re: Time wasting

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Very much so i must say .

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1816 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Was it the Bristol City keeper in the championship? I love it when it bites them on the @rse.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Our Game Management today was top hole.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:38 pm

When we went 1-0 up the ball went into the JML (sat in there today). Hart was visibly shouting at the fans to keep hold of it and laughed as he himself started wasting time.

Ryan wasnt as slow at that point. Funny that.
These 6 users liked this post: Ooogeorgeorgeoghani cav bobinho DomBFC1882 IndigoLake Goodclaret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:30 am

We started giving it Ryan from his first goal kick and momentum built within the crowd. No better sight than Turf Moor with restless natives.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

With the amount of BIRD that he was getting, I was convinced he'd played for our nearest and dearest down in Lower Darwen :lol:

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:54 am

Biggest set of snakes in football are Brighton, they always have to come with some low life tactic to scab a result, thankfully it failed this time

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:57 am

Time wasting should be banned full stop. Time Keeping Technology should be employed to ensure the ball is live for 30 minutes per half minimum. If you reach the 30 minutes before the 45 minutes is completed you continue playing until the 45 minutes is up.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Amusing incident in my game today. Home team spent whole of first half moaning that the away team were time wasting. Not playing quickly but not overly wasting time IMO At 2-1 to home side with 20 to go the away team were moaning about the home team time wasting. Once again nothing over the top.
Who would want to referee ???? Rock and a hard place

Also had home manager moan after game that the ball was never in play in the first half. I laughed and said you can't blame me for that, I don't control where the ball is kicked.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Aclaret

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 pm

I always think the point that is missed is the fans are missing out.
We pay a lot of money to watch a football game and the goalie was wasting time from the first goalkick, from what I saw don't think the ref even talked to him, he pointed at his watch a few times but no way did this equate to a minute of extra time.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Shore claret wrote:I always think the point that is missed is the fans are missing out.
We pay a lot of money to watch a football game and the goalie was wasting time from the first goalkick, from what I saw don't think the ref even talked to him, he pointed at his watch a few times but no way did this equate to a minute of extra time.
If we are leading Arsenal in the last game of the season, needing a win, would anyone care how much time we waste? Works both ways.

AshevilleNCClaret
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by AshevilleNCClaret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Most american sports clocks count down. When the ball is not in play the clock is stopped.
Not sure how it would work in the PL but i dont see why it cant be done.
No need to time waste if the clock doesnt run. It also makes for some fantastic finishes.. one eye on the clock as it counts down and your team trying to score.
This user liked this post: piston broke

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:53 pm

AshevilleNCClaret wrote:Not sure how it would work in the PL but i dont see why it cant be done.
I guess the most basic option could work without any advanced technology - an official simply watches the game and stops the clock when they see the ball go out and restarts it when it comes back in.
This user liked this post: Giftonsnoidea

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:11 pm

A couple of problems with that, I think.

Firstly - a lot of time wasting isn't just about reducing the time that the ball is in play (although that may be part of it). It is also about disrupting the flow of the game so that the other team cannot build up a momentum. There's a danger that an "on-the-clock" approach would actually encourage this because it becomes seen as a victimless crime - so to get a full solution, you'd still need refs to do what they ought to do anyway, and clamp down on players taking a long time over goal kicks etc.

Second issue - truth is that the ball is out of play a lot in football. Unless you take the approach rugby takes, and only stop the clock for some things, you'd end up with some seriously long games.

Truth is that what needs to happen here is that refs and players need to have a clear direction that they must get the ball back in play as quickly a possible. That ought to involve some soft targets for getting the ball into play within defined timescales, with mandatory and immediate yellow cards for non-compliance.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 pm

claretspice wrote:A couple of problems with that, I think.

Firstly - a lot of time wasting isn't just about reducing the time that the ball is in play (although that may be part of it). It is also about disrupting the flow of the game so that the other team cannot build up a momentum. There's a danger that an "on-the-clock" approach would actually encourage this because it becomes seen as a victimless crime - so to get a full solution, you'd still need refs to do what they ought to do anyway, and clamp down on players taking a long time over goal kicks etc.

Second issue - truth is that the ball is out of play a lot in football. Unless you take the approach rugby takes, and only stop the clock for some things, you'd end up with some seriously long games.

Truth is that what needs to happen here is that refs and players need to have a clear direction that they must get the ball back in play as quickly a possible. That ought to involve some soft targets for getting the ball into play within defined timescales, with mandatory and immediate yellow cards for non-compliance.
The messiah has spoken all other opinions are now irrelevant. Close thread

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:.
Great argument.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 pm

Bore off. I've given an opinion. Feel free to add to the debate.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Great argument.
I’ve already made my suggestion about six posts up my Lord

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Fair enough. It's an interesting suggestion. As I say, I think the problem is that 30 minutes a half might lead to some very long games - and I doubt for example broadcasters would like the uncertainty about when 30 minutes each way was up - but I completely agree that time wasting should be banned. I suppose what I'm saying is that I'd prefer the refs to use all the existing tools in their armoury to clamp down on it before going for more radical solutions.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 pm

claretspice wrote:Fair enough. It's an interesting suggestion. As I say, I think the problem is that 30 minutes a half might lead to some very long games - and I doubt for example broadcasters would like the uncertainty about when 30 minutes each way was up - but I completely agree that time wasting should be banned. I suppose what I'm saying is that I'd prefer the refs to use all the existing tools in their armoury to clamp down on it before going for more radical solutions.

Refs job is thankless and they need all the help he can get controlling 22 cheats. They can’t even take a corner in the quarter these days without putting the ball about an inch outside it. I’d love a expert to tell me what advantage that inch gives them from a corner other than unecessarily breaking the ******* rules.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:48 pm

I always understood that the corner flag thing was about exploiting the existing rules, rather than breaking them (i.e. the ball only has to overhang the corner). I can imagine that at somewhere like Burnley where there's a sharp drop off the side of the pitch that the further infield they can et the ball, the better

But I agree generally with the amount players try and get away with. I just think refs need to be empowered to be really, really strict with all forms of gamesmanship (I've never understood why Dyche gets so uptight about diving, but for example is quite happy for Burnley players to claim a throw in when they know it hit them last).

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 pm

I know the overhang rule and they brought that in to allow for what you suggest. Gross and Westwood both took corners directly in front of me yesterday and both of them cheated for absolutely no reason.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:02 pm

The fourth official running the clock would work. There should be a run off, 6 secs for goalkicks & throw ins and 10secs for freekicks and corners.the clock should be displayed and countdown as in rugby. The half is played until the ball goes dead.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:09 pm

It reminded me of the home game v Charlton at home under Coyle. They time wasted at every opportunity for the entire match and even went 1 up. We scored and equaliser on 88 minutes and the winner deep into stoppage time. Beautiful

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:13 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:It reminded me of the home game v Charlton at home under Coyle. They time wasted at every opportunity for the entire match and even went 1 up. We scored and equaliser on 88 minutes and the winner deep into stoppage time. Beautiful
A brace from Steven Thompson, I do believe.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Spijed wrote:If we are leading Arsenal in the last game of the season, needing a win, would anyone care how much time we waste? Works both ways.
The point being it was nil nil after 20 mins.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm

In fairness he makes a good point.

Its bad enough being on some matches until 5 never mind 6! :D

The refs need to clamp down. Not add more time to a game.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Should introduce 2 halves of 30 minutes of ball in play.
Would stop the timewastng overnight

skibum84
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by skibum84 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am

The refs just need to grow some balls! The premier league refs are so soft and just let the players do anything. The best ref of the season was the at home to Olypiakos. He stood for no sh*t! Even giving a foul throw for pinching too many yards. Has a premier league ref ever done that?

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:23 am

paulatky wrote:Should introduce 2 halves of 30 minutes of ball in play.
Would stop the timewastng overnight
I thought that would be a good idea, but someone pointed out that it'll never work for TV, or for those fans travelling by public transport. If Man City played Arsenal the game could be over by 65 minutes. When we play Cardiff, you'd be there about two and a half hours.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 am

PNE when we came back to win at the death and they no longer wanted to time waste was perhaps one of my funnier memories. I hate time wasting but don't know what the answer is.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets