Raheem Sterling racially abused by Chelsea fans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Raheem Sterling racially abused by Chelsea fans

Post by tiger76 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Crazy in 2018 people behave in such an ignorant manner Raheem is totally correct to call them out on this https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46498849 you would have hoped by now this behaviour would be condemned to history.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Re: Raheem Sterling racially abused by Chelsea fans

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Fair play to him for speaking out about his treatment by some of the press. The way some of our gutter press have treated him is disgusting, but I suppose with the likes of the Sun and Daily Mail not really surprising unfortunately.
This user liked this post: bf2k

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 am

Not confined just to Chelsea fans https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/spurs- ... 39245.html

FFS i thought this stuff belonged to the history books,but it's slowly creeping back into the game.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 am

tiger76 wrote:Not confined just to Chelsea fans https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/spurs- ... 39245.html

FFS i thought this stuff belonged to the history books,but it's slowly creeping back into the game.
Let's ignore the fact police said they accepted the account there was no racial intent though because we can use it to support our argument that Britain is full of nazis. Guy was almost certainly just eating it and threw it on without thinking but of course in these turbulent times you can never pass up a good opportunity to convict someone of racism

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 am

Its not as isolated incident though with Chelsea fans.

They had a Waffen-SS Totenkopf unit badge on one of their flags. Now you might think thats just low level anti-semitism, but then you look a bit deeper into it.

You see, the Waffen-SS had more than one unit, but what was special about Totenkopf is that it was originally made up of concentration camp guards who were transferred to the Waffen-SS. So basically even more anti-semitic. The worst of the worst if you will.

Could be a coincidence that that is the unit badge they went for, but it could also them trying to be a bit too clever for their own good

Too dangerous to assume that this is just bantz or whatever defence the 57 year old man (the demographic I have to admit I thought he'd be) came out with.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:56 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Let's ignore the fact police said they accepted the account there was no racial intent though because we can use it to support our argument that Britain is full of nazis. Guy was almost certainly just eating it and threw it on without thinking but of course in these turbulent times you can never pass up a good opportunity to convict someone of racism
Ah, the old ‘just happened to take a banana to the match as a snack and had just finished eating it when an opposition black player scored and the skin was in my hand and I just instinctively threw it at him’.

There but for the grace of god.......
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:20 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Let's ignore the fact police said they accepted the account there was no racial intent though because we can use it to support our argument that Britain is full of nazis. Guy was almost certainly just eating it and threw it on without thinking but of course in these turbulent times you can never pass up a good opportunity to convict someone of racism
What're the odds, I've literally never seen anyone eat a banana on a football match.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 am

SammyBoy wrote:What're the odds, I've literally never seen anyone eat a banana on a football match.
Guy in front of me has one every half time...
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4183 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 am

martin_p wrote:Ah, the old ‘just happened to take a banana to the match as a snack and had just finished eating it when an opposition black player scored and the skin was in my hand and I just instinctively threw it at him’.

There but for the grace of god.......

Agreed, it is far more likely he thought I will take this banana with me, eat it then carry the skin in my pocket during the day, then if a black opposition player scores in front of me I can take it out my pocket and throw it at him and hopefully not be caught on camera.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1881 times
Has Liked: 839 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:31 am

How to really embarrass yourself.
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret JohnDearyMe

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 am

Why would you think it acceptable for a fan to throw anything onto the pitch at any time for any reason?

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 am

Chobulous wrote:Why would you think it acceptable for a fan to throw anything onto the pitch at any time for any reason?
This was the question my wife asked me last night when she saw it on the news. She has no interest in football whatsoever, apart from having suffered for over 50 years in a male dominated household, however, she just couldn't see any justification at all.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:09 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Agreed, it is far more likely he thought I will take this banana with me, eat it then carry the skin in my pocket during the day, then if a black opposition player scores in front of me I can take it out my pocket and throw it at him and hopefully not be caught on camera.
Correct, that is much more likely. If his coping mechanism for an opposition player scoring is throwing something at him he’s probably not over blessed with brains, so probably won’t have considered he could be caught.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:04 am

It's always interesting to me that some posters' default response to someone being allegedly racially abused is to make excuses for the abuser without knowing any of the facts.
These 3 users liked this post: JohnMcGreal simonclaret Rileybobs

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 am

Grumps wrote:Guy in front of me has one every half time...
You stand behind Moffitt?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 am

Grumps wrote:Guy in front of me has one every half time...
Does he accidentally throw it on the pitch if the opposition happen to score in the second half? or does he only accidentally do it if the player happens to be from a specific ethnic background?
Not seen anything like this on the pitch, so I assume he just does the normal thing and puts his rubbish in the bin after the match.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:10 am

So you think all those ex players such as John Barnes, Viv Anderson etc. are just lying when they say black players are still subjected to racial abuse?

Was Raheem Sterling lying as well, with regards to the recent incident at Chelsea?

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:18 am

The spurs fan was a Greek Cypriot man who lives in Norwich. He’s never been in trouble with the police before and stated in the local press that he threw it without thinking. The police believe him and after reading the report, so do I.
Unfortunately there are an awful amount of racist fans in football and some of the stuff I’ve heard over the years is truly vile. Including our own fans.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Is he still getting a free pass or can he get “abused” for his penalty? Just asking for a friend

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:55 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You stand behind Moffitt?
No, just a normal supporter who likes a banana at half time, no agenda, just facts

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Does he accidentally throw it on the pitch if the opposition happen to score in the second half? or does he only accidentally do it if the player happens to be from a specific ethnic background?
Not seen anything like this on the pitch, so I assume he just does the normal thing and puts his rubbish in the bin after the match.
Just answering the question without any bias, unlike you

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Grumps wrote:No, just a normal supporter who likes a banana at half time, no agenda, just facts
This guy was supposedly eating a banana during the match, which seems a little unlikely.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Pearcey wrote:The spurs fan was a Greek Cypriot man who lives in Norwich. He’s never been in trouble with the police before and stated in the local press that he threw it without thinking. The police believe him and after reading the report, so do I.
Unfortunately there are an awful amount of racist fans in football and some of the stuff I’ve heard over the years is truly vile. Including our own fans.
Doubt some on here will accept that, despite the facts

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 pm

martin_p wrote:This guy was supposedly eating a banana during the match, which seems a little unlikely.
Why?

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Unfortunately I think the Brexit vote (and Trump's election) has encouraged more people with racist views to express them, whereas in the past their bigotry may have been more suppressed. Not saying that applies to this Spurs fan who may be truthful in his explanation, but its no coincidence you are hearing about more of these incidents.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Reckoner wrote:Unfortunately I think the Brexit vote (and Trump's election) has encouraged more people with racist views to express them, whereas in the past their bigotry may have been more suppressed. Not saying that applies to this Spurs fan who may be truthful in his explanation, but its no coincidence you are hearing about more of these incidents.
Trumps election making people racist in Britain? Big leap that one.

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:30 pm

The increase in racist noise isn't confined to the UK.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Reckoner wrote:The increase in racist noise isn't confined to the UK.
Iam sure it isn't, but to blame trump for racism in football is somewhat far fetched

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:45 pm

I think the Brexit vote (and Trump's election) has encouraged more people with racist views to express them. I do not think this is limited to the UK and I also think that racism is not confined to football supporters. Hope that helps.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Grumps wrote:Just answering the question without any bias, unlike you
How did my post display any bias? I said that I assumed he took his litter home and didn't throw it on the pitch, - which I'm sure you agree is normal behaviour for a mature adult.
For clarity - referring to the banana eating person sat in front of you, I wrote:
"Not seen anything like this on the pitch, so I assume he just does the normal thing and puts his rubbish in the bin after the match."

Are you saying that I'm wrong?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Reckoner wrote:I think the Brexit vote (and Trump's election) has encouraged more people with racist views to express them. I do not think this is limited to the UK and I also think that racism is not confined to football supporters. Hope that helps.
Iam sure racism was a bigger thing in the 80s and 90s, long before trump and brexit. Its possibly at its lowest point in the UK for many years. Hope that helps.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:55 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:How did my post display any bias? I said that I assumed he took his litter home and didn't throw it on the pitch, - which I'm sure you agree is normal behaviour for a mature adult.
For clarity - referring to the banana eating person sat in front of you, I wrote:

Are you saying that I'm wrong?
The question was suggesting nobody ate a banana at a football match, I was pointing out that they do, nothing more.

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 pm

It was definitely more prominent then I agree, and I don't think Brexit and Trump have created more racists per se. Its just given the existing racists a validation so they are more vocal now than they were a couple of years ago. Its very sad.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Grumps wrote:The question was suggesting nobody ate a banana at a football match, I was pointing out that they do, nothing more.
No. You replied to my post and accused me of some sort of bias, which I don't understand.
I didn't state or imply that eating bananas at a football match was an abnormal thing to do. It's perfectly acceptable.
It's throwing them (or their skins) on the pitch that's odd and isn't acceptable, - and in fact it's an offence, even if there's no one on the pitch at the time.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:15 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:No. You replied to my post and accused me of some sort of bias, which I don't understand.
I didn't state or imply that eating bananas at a football match was an abnormal thing to do. It's perfectly acceptable.
It's throwing them (or their skins) on the pitch that's odd and isn't acceptable, - and in fact it's an offence, even if there's no one on the pitch at the time.
Definitely an offence to throw them, agreed

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:Is he still getting a free pass or can he get “abused” for his penalty? Just asking for a friend
I thought that was weird too.

Possibly the most stupid way to take a penalty, whether it goes on or not, if you don't want people to think you're a nob. :?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Definitely a nob

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Falcon wrote:It's always interesting to me that some posters' default response to someone being allegedly racially abused is to make excuses for the abuser without knowing any of the facts.
Except that he did give a fact. That the police have accepted that it wasn't racially motivated. If you can disprove that or sensibly argue against it, you should do so. But your response does add to a feeling that making an accusation of racial abuse is in itself a conviction of the accused in some people's minds; free of the need for process or facts.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:37 pm

thatdberight wrote:Except that he did give a fact. That the police have accepted that it wasn't racially motivated. If you can disprove that or sensibly argue against it, you should do so. But your response does add to a feeling that making an accusation of racial abuse is in itself a conviction of the accused in some people's minds; free of the need for process or facts.
Beat me to it.

Like I say, people want to see racism.

Racism justifies the existence of entire industries, organisations and even political parties. The day it dies is the day they die, they will hunt it until the can find it no more and at that point, they will redefine what it is to be racist and hunt it all over again.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Beat me to it.

Like I say, people want to see racism.

Racism justifies the existence of entire industries, organisations and even political parties. The day it dies is the day they die, they will hunt it until the can find it no more and at that point, they will redefine what it is to be racist and hunt it all over again.
This handily ignores the fact that the magistrate found that it was a ‘targeted gesture’ with a ‘racial element’.
This user liked this post: thatdberight

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:55 am

Grumps wrote:The question was suggesting nobody ate a banana at a football match, I was pointing out that they do, nothing more.
This could spell the end of the inflatable banana popular with football fans....

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 pm

PC plod interviewing someone in relation to this incident https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46647187