Karl Henry - Monkey taunts at Turf Moor

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Karl Henry - Monkey taunts at Turf Moor

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Karl Henry the latest to have his say and how he was racially abused. Says his first game when warming up as a teen at Turf Moor he was subjected to monkey taunts. Now he says it was 18 years ago and it was whilst he was warming up. This leads to me think it was in front of the Bob Lord stand which I somehow doubt.

Now I do not condone racism and think it is vile and lifetime bans should be handed out as it has no place in our society. But what I dont agree with is clubs like ours being dragged into it so someone can get airtime. These claims can not be debated and challenged now. I dont believe we are perfect by any means but we have no more idiots than most clubs

Those with twitter can see it here

Check out @5liveSport’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/5liveSport/status/1 ... 79168?s=09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Re: Karl Henry - Monkey taunts at Turf Moor

Post by dougcollins » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Oh it happened plenty at TM, believe me.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7521 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:16 pm

dougcollins wrote:Oh it happened plenty at TM, believe me.
It did.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Why would he lie about it ?
Hardly a big surprise is it ?

It’s not that many years ago that someone used to sit near me in the JML and regularly abused black players on the opposition team about burning tyres....absolute moron.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Bananas on the pitch as well.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:19 pm

I would bet serious money there were 91 other clubs where it happened 18 years ago...

If he goes back even further, he will be able to find there were black people kept as slaves in some other countries...

This stuff should stay where it belongs - in the past. Not saying it should be forgotten, but I don't believe highlighting this now helps anyone. What WILL help I believe, is dealing with this robustly when it rears its head.
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret THEWELLERNUT70

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Yes I heard it and still do now and again. The idiots are normally looked at in disgust nowadays as it is socially not acceptable.

What I dont get though is that 18 years ago it was commonplace across all grounds. It seems we are portrayed as knuckle draggers in the media and easy to have a pop shot at. Yes it isnt the most metropolitan area but it is no worse than many other areas. I am not from Burnley but being a season ticket holder for 31 years I truly belive it is a special place. Yes it it is a little rough round the edges but every where you look up high you are surrounded by sprawling countryside and the most beautiful views
Last edited by Cleveleys_claret on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5004 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:20 pm

It happened at all grounds in those days,let's be honest. What is fanntastic now is you so rarely hear it and when it does ie Chelsea yesterday it's a tiny tiny minority and they are hammered by the court's and other fans.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:24 pm

bobinho wrote:I would bet serious money there were 91 other clubs where it happened 18 years ago...

If he goes back even further, he will be able to find there were black people kept as slaves in some other countries...

This stuff should stay where it belongs - in the past. Not saying it should be forgotten, but I don't believe highlighting this now helps anyone. What WILL help I believe, is dealing with this robustly when it rears its head.
I’ve heard a lot, and heard comments from drunk ‘friends’ I just don’t get racism at all, really struggle to understand someone’s mind set, it just makes no sense to me. Heard comments like ‘slave’ & ‘black bast***d’, really infuriates me
These 3 users liked this post: dougcollins Cleveleys_claret THEWELLERNUT70

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:24 pm

TVC15 wrote:Why would he lie about it ?
Hardly a big surprise is it ?

It’s not that many years ago that someone used to sit near me in the JML and regularly abused black players on the opposition team about burning tyres....absolute moron.
First season it was open, was right behind me, a senior steward had a word and it went quiet.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:28 pm

A Depressing thread really...

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:I’ve heard a lot, and heard comments from drunk ‘friends’ I just don’t get racism at all, really struggle to understand someone’s mind set, it just makes no sense to me. Heard comments like ‘slave’ & ‘black bast***d’, really infuriates me
Amazes me when in my workplace. Have professionals who still follow Tommy Robinson and spout the vile he comes out with. I sit there sometimes just shaking my head at how such people can command 40k plus salaries yet be so uneducated

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:30 pm

18 years ago is not that long ago. We are talking the year 2000 not the 70s and 80s.
This was not going on at all the other grounds - it was definitely more prevalent at some than others.

Even now handing out life bans is not enough. It should be a prison sentence and obtaining a criminal record.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:30 pm

dougcollins wrote:Oh it happened plenty at TM, believe me.
I’m sure it did. In fact in the 1980’s I heard it from the Longside numerous times, as well as at other grounds from opposing fans, but to suggest it happened from the Bob Lord Stand this century? Obviously you can’t say for sure but the Bob Lord Stand?

He was substitute for 2 games at Turf Moor near that time: September 2002 (16 years ago), and December 2003 (15 years ago). There was no first team game in which he was substitute at Turf Moor 18 years ago, and 18 years seems pretty specific, rather than a rounded 15 or 20 years.

Around that time there were reports of racism at football, so why didn’t he report it?
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret Ashingtonclaret46

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm

Adrian Littlejohn was the worst racial abuse I’ve heard on Turf Moor the night he celebrated in front of the Longside but it started way before he scored. But sadly it was common place I can remember George Oghani getting similar when we played at Bolton. That was more than just booing a former player.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 pm

I always gave Karl Henry loads of abuse.

Never racist.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:59 pm

The last racist abuse I heard on the Turf was to Kurt Nogan with what seemed half the ground chanting there's only one Welsh pa**.

Karl Henry might be using Paul Ince's abuse here as his own. It happens all the time in spirt. People hear the stories so many times they tell them as it was them.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Not in the same vein of racism but heard some hissing towards Spurs fans in the CFS a few seasons back. Never understood that one, if I'm honest; capitalise on and appropriate the defining characteristic of the Nazi's to have a go at other football fans. Weird. People can act like animals when they're in a crowd. I dunno, perhaps being in a crowd is disinhibiting and it's just their true character coming out.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Spiral wrote:Not in the same vein of racism but heard some hissing towards Spurs fans in the CFS a few seasons back. Never understood that one, if I'm honest; capitalise on and appropriate the defining characteristic of the Nazi's to have a go at other football fans. Weird. People can act like animals when they're in a crowd. I dunno, perhaps being in a crowd is disinhibiting and it's just their true character coming out.
Or it allows someone a level of comfort to express their true feelings that they never would do one on one.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 pm

I stood on the Longside with my dad in ‘95 and witnessed the most horrific racial abuse directed at Portsmouth’s Paul Hall. He was excellent that day and his display pretty much relegated Burnley if I remember rightly.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:22 pm

To be fair, I remember going on the Turf in ‘88 - ‘89 and people talking about how racist it had been years before (and how that was no longer acceptable - though they were older and expressed regret that this was so).

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 pm

When Dane Richards was subbed on and subsequently subbed back off again for us, someone in the JHL called him a useless black *******, and that was what? 2014?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1748 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:40 pm

I remember going to Vale Park (1993-ish) and I joined in with some monkey chants towards their striker (who I’ve since researched was Ian Taylor)- who gave a little back. My dad told me not to do it and I didn’t understand why - as it all seemed in good spirit. I was about 10 at the time.

I also remember Burnley fans chanting “You Wesh Paki, you Welsh Paki” to Kurt Nogan during his Preston days too. That was probably that last time I heard racism as a collective at a football match (that was about 1998)

I’ve only heard moronic individuals shout or mutter stuff like that since. No room for at it all. I don’t understand how fans can get so angry. Even when former Rovers players return, I understand the whole pantomime villain thing, a bit of booing doesn’t do any harm, but it when it’s venomous. The guy is just doing his job.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Haha! This thread was a right old larf. I'm sure we all enjoyed it and had a merry old time. Anyway, my favourite part of this thread was when a Burnley fan played down racism (that still exists) because there's a lot of grass visible in the middle distance from the site where the racism occurs.
Cleveleys_claret wrote:Yes it it is a little rough round the edges but every where you look up high you are surrounded by sprawling countryside and the most beautiful views

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Spiral wrote:Haha! This thread was a right old larf. I'm sure we all enjoyed it and had a merry old time. Anyway, my favourite part of this thread was when a Burnley fan played down racism (that still exists) because there's a lot of grass visible in the middle distance from the site where the racism occurs.
My favourite part of this thread was when somebody, pretending to be a Burnley fan, said "This thread was a right old larf. "

You do realise we are not West Ham don't you Danny!?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:02 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:My favourite part of this thread was when somebody, pretending to be a Burnley fan, said "This thread was a right old larf. "

You do realise we are not West Ham don't you Danny!?
Second favourite part of this thread was when the neurotic RT-shilling tw@t attempted to make an issue of regional nomenclature in attempts to discredit and distract from such arguments that can't otherwise be discredited by boring $hit like...you know...facts, or logic, or common decency and whatnot.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:22 am

Spiral wrote:Second favourite part of this thread was when the neurotic RT-shilling tw@t attempted to make an issue of regional nomenclature in attempts to discredit and distract from such arguments that can't otherwise be discredited by boring $hit like...you know...facts, or logic, or common decency and whatnot.
Hahaha!

Lost argument. Raw nerve touched.

Resort to personal abuse.

Game over.

Stone the crows or something

Enjoy the rest of your night!

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:44 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Karl Henry the latest to have his say and how he was racially abused. Says his first game when warming up as a teen at Turf Moor he was subjected to monkey taunts. Now he says it was 18 years ago and it was whilst he was warming up. This leads to me think it was in front of the Bob Lord stand which I somehow doubt.

Now I do not condone racism and think it is vile and lifetime bans should be handed out as it has no place in our society. But what I dont agree with is clubs like ours being dragged into it so someone can get airtime. These claims can not be debated and challenged now. I dont believe we are perfect by any means but we have no more idiots than most clubs

Those with twitter can see it here

Check out @5liveSport’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/5liveSport/status/1 ... 79168?s=09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh please **** off. "clubs like ours being dragged into it so someone can get airtime"? This was 18 years ago. It clearly affected him and his opinion of us because he remembered it, and your biggest objection is that he talks about it? To get airtime? Get ******, mate. You're sick of these people talking about it and bringing it up 18 years later? Imagine having to experience it, and be affected by it so much that 18 years later you still remember it.

But whatever right? You said the right things, you've demonstrated you're not a racist and don't agree with racism. Now if only black people could stop talking about their experiences then everything would be alright.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Hahaha!

Lost argument. Raw nerve touched.

Resort to personal abuse.

Game over.

Stone the crows or something

Enjoy the rest of your night!
You're doing a tremendous job of illustrating my point vis-a-vis the proclivity for a certain number of Burnley fans to utterly disengage from the realities of the nature of certain parts of our fanbase.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 am

People in Nelson can probably give you current examples of racial abuse without resorting to the past.Unfortunately,some areas of Nelson are rife with it.
Both white and Asian racists are common in East Lancs.Failure to create a multicultural society with shared respect is a sad fact.BSF and creating a predominately Asian heritage school out of two mixed schools doesnt help.Mansfield and Walton werent perfect examples of multiculturalism but better than what was created by BSF and LCC misguided policies

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 am

Heard some moron spout racist **** on the way to Turf Moor on Saturday, so this is hardly a surprise. We have our share of neanderthals.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:11 am

Aye, the volley of racist abuse an asian taxi driver got on the way out of the ground opposite the Turf Pub for having the termity to move his taxi out two feet from that alleyway was only two days ago.

By all means call him a tosser, but there isn't any need for the word in front of it.

Its better than when I first went on in the 80s (one of my first memories is asking my dad what a "Spade" was) and that is a good thing, but lets not pretend its not an issue.

lostinthegame
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by lostinthegame » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:25 am

Some guys behind us walking to the ground past the Cricket Club on Wednesday night started shouting "We hate Scousers!" "...and Pakis." My heart sank.

I don't hear as much racist crap as in the early 2000s when the BNP won seats and we had the riots, tbh I've seen a lot more Asians on the Turf since promotion, young lads especially and the staff in the JHU food stalls, so I think "Who cares about some 48-year-old Barry Stanton who hates his life? I look around the ground and think they've lost."

But for all this football in the community, one club for all, glossy media speak, I suspect it's just papering over the cracks to make the club's "brand" look good, a delusion of recent years across the whole country that peaked with the ruse of the London Olympics and thinking Mo Farah would stop everyone being Islamophobic. I genuinely believe teenagers these days are a lot more open-minded and tolerant than my generation was (I'm 33), but the question I put to you is: Have you met a single person in Burnley who back in 2001 voted for the extreme right-wing and was openly racist to Asians who has changed their views?

With disappointing irony, the Asian dad who I was sat next to v Liverpool filming the whole match on his phone. Plastics aren't as bad as fascists, but they're both bad news.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:36 am

Claretforever wrote:I’m sure it did. In fact in the 1980’s I heard it from the Longside numerous times, as well as at other grounds from opposing fans, but to suggest it happened from the Bob Lord Stand this century? Obviously you can’t say for sure but the Bob Lord Stand?

He was substitute for 2 games at Turf Moor near that time: September 2002 (16 years ago), and December 2003 (15 years ago). There was no first team game in which he was substitute at Turf Moor 18 years ago, and 18 years seems pretty specific, rather than a rounded 15 or 20 years.

Around that time there were reports of racism at football, so why didn’t he report it?
Perhaps he meant Barnsley

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:54 am

There is no point trying to pretend, as some do, that Racism doesn't exist. It does; it may not be as prevalent but it is still there. As some of you know I am a Soul Music fan and I occasionally go to a Carib-Soul event where a group of people from West Indian descent get together to play some low rider style Soul Music. Was shocked recently to find out that one of those (now in his 60s) was one of the children that, in effect, found himself stateless due to government policy despite having lived here since a very young child. Try telling him that Racism doesn't exist. I don't think privileged white people are the best ones to be making comments.

However, where I take issue with Karl Henry and historic claims like this is that given it happened 18 years ago and BFC are no longer in a position to defend themselves my view is that he should not have named the club. It would not have made his argument any less powerful.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 am

Racism will become extinct in this country within a couple of generations.
The older folk who enjoy shouting at clouds and don't even hide their racism will die out, the middle aged ones who hide their racism behind jingoistic tubthumping will be sussed out and pretty much no one* younger than 25 is racist anymore.

*hyperbole

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:39 am

Unfortunately, racism seems to be the go to abuse for many people in a moment of frustration/anger. Many people I know who’ve sworn they’re not racist have displayed that trait many times over.

Thankfully there is much less of it at Burnley games now but you still get the odd idiot shouting some rubbish at a player. The fact this happened 18 years ago makes no difference ... would the people getting upset about him mentioning us have the same level of outrage if they heard those remarks and be telling the perpetrators what they said is wrong? From experience, they probably wouldn’t.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am

duncandisorderly wrote:Racism will become extinct in this country within a couple of generations.
The older folk who enjoy shouting at clouds and don't even hide their racism will die out, the middle aged ones who hide their racism behind jingoistic tubthumping will be sussed out and pretty much no one* younger than 25 is racist anymore.

*hyperbole
My niece was at school last week when a Asian girl came over and asked to sit with her and friends for dinner. My niece was shocked when her friends said “no, we don’t eat dinner with pa*kis” ......

This is 11 year old girls. The strangest thing is that my niece is halfcaste (but pale skinned) which they hadn’t realised ..... she told them straight about their behaviour but it’s no doubt it’s still being passed down the generations.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 am

bfccrazy wrote:My niece was at school last week when a Asian girl came over and asked to sit with her and friends for dinner. My niece was shocked when her friends said “no, we don’t eat dinner with pa*kis” ......

This is 11 year old girls. The strangest thing is that my niece is halfcaste (but pale skinned) which they hadn’t realised ..... she told them straight about their behaviour but it’s no doubt it’s still being passed down the generations.

No doubt it still exists, but when I was 11 year old (25 years ago), going to the paki shop was part of every day life. It's not anymore.
It's changed and it's not as prevalent amongst the younger generation as it was.
Depending on how racist parents were it might take longer to fall down the generations, but it's not like it was.

Again, just reading this thread, you have widespread monkey chants and paki chants 20 years ago and now you only hear the odd nutter mumbling or ranting at a taxi. There's not a communal effort to be racist anymore, either at school, football or generally in life.

Obviously it still happens, but like blowjobs once you're married, it's a lot less common.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:50 am

Corky wrote:However, where I take issue with Karl Henry and historic claims like this is that given it happened 18 years ago and BFC are no longer in a position to defend themselves my view is that he should not have named the club. It would not have made his argument any less powerful.
Why does it matter? No-one cares. He said Burnley... but he could’ve said Millwall, Chelsea, Stoke, Bristol Rovers or Oxford United. The point remains that 18 years ago, Football was a very different place and monky chants were part of it. Some people thought it was acceptable, others didn’t. Burnley could’ve had a team full of black players but some fans would still ‘tease’ the black opposition players. But I think this was at all clubs.

Thankfully, it’s not like that now, but there are still some idiots

Looking at the footage of the Chelsea fans though. They are so angry, but they look like those in there 40s. It’s childish. At 24, Sterling has achieved more, even in training, than those fools will ever do in their sad existence.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 am

I remember being at Coventry away around 15 years ago and a Burnley fan that I see at most away games shouted Fu*****g Black Bas***d at one of their players, there was a black gentleman sat near me who I happened to know and he became very upset. It took me and my 16 year old mate to stand up against it whilst hundreds around us just sat in silence as if nothing had been said.

The bloke even had the cheek to come down at half time and goad him further! I'm pretty sure the bloke will read this site and I hope he remembers it as clearly as those with me do!

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 am

People from afar will just see Henry"s comments as reinforcing their stereotypical image of grim, northern Burnley. He's jumping on a bandwagon - will demand compensation next.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:22 am

basil6345789 wrote:People from afar will just see Henry"s comments as reinforcing their stereotypical image of grim, northern Burnley. He's jumping on a bandwagon - will demand compensation next.
What bandwagon ?
He’s saying something disgusting that happened to him in Burnley. You seriously think the most important issue here is what people may think of the town ?

What about those poor folk in Kensington this morning with all those people saying bad things about Chelsea ? It’s just not fair on all those millionaires white upper class residents sat there have there mid morning frappacinos having to listen to Raheem Sterling bang on about Chelsea is it ?

And the poor people of Burnley can now sympathise with this victimisation of the “good” name of their town.

Ffs !

lostinthegame

Post by lostinthegame » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:23 am

basil6345789 wrote:reinforcing their stereotypical image of grim, northern Burnley.
I remember him tweeting quite loudly and proudly about why he was voting Tory in 2015.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Racism will become extinct in this country within a couple of generations.

*hyperbole
It is mainly the younger ones spouting the EDP/BNP memes around and retweeting Robinson's stuff. Casual racism is rife around Birmingham from the white Brits, Afro-Caribbean communities, people of Pakistani origin, people of Indian origin, people with Chinese heritage, Poles, French, German, Greek etc. - not from everyone to everyone but certainly targetted at people of different racial backgrounds. Tbf though, the Pakistani/Bagladeshi communities seem to be the prime target of most other ethnic groups, I wonder if it is anything to do with their clinging to language barriers (I was on the train recently with an Indian work colleague when a young white couple on boarded and 2 young Pakistani lads nearby started talking loudly in Urdu, my colleague told me what they were saying about the couple and it was some of the most racist and sexist crap you could imagine, he was in shock!), dress codes and keeping themselves very separate to other communities.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:I remember being at Coventry away around 15 years ago and a Burnley fan that I see at most away games shouted Fu*****g Black Bas***d at one of their players, there was a black gentleman sat near me who I happened to know and he became very upset. It took me and my 16 year old mate to stand up against it whilst hundreds around us just sat in silence as if nothing had been said.

The bloke even had the cheek to come down at half time and goad him further! I'm pretty sure the bloke will read this site and I hope he remembers it as clearly as those with me do!
You’re right it was out of order and not quiet.
As you say both were/are regulars.

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:19 pm

he was a nasty dirty horrible player.

don't condone racism but do not want to listen to his opinion

lostinthegame

Post by lostinthegame » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:39 pm

TVC15 wrote:What bandwagon ?
He’s saying something disgusting that happened to him in Burnley. You seriously think the most important issue here is what people may think of the town ?
It's fine to be annoyed at both. Most people think racism is wrong and sickening.

The guy who did that to Henry is vile, whoever it was and however long ago it occurred.

What's also wrong and sickening, is using allegations of racism at football (someone on the MOTD comments has already said 'Typical Burnley') to perpetuate crude stereotypes of entire towns. Now, jokey football banter for years claims all Norwich fans marry their sisters, Leeds fans shag sheep or Hartlepool fans run amok executing chimpanzees. But nobody really seriously thinks that personally about people from these places.

What some do seriously think, I believe, that a town like Burnley is inherently racist, and ALL its residents and football fans are guilty by association. Now, however much they say "Ages ago" one can't deny the town had race riots in 2001, and a year later some residents voted a political party into a handful of council seats (the BNP) who were openly, unapologetically racist - not all knew this but some MUST have.

But Brighton/Bong and related spats relate more to a new kind of split in society, post-Brexit. Two thirds of Brighton voted for Remain, and use this as a badge of pride that their city is a beacon of liberal, progressive tolerance, friendly to LGBT people, immigration, multiculturalism, and intellectualism/intelligence. But people from there, London, and posh university cities who love the new PC neo-liberal world as they can afford it, attack the industrial North, anywhere "unfashionable" as "pure Brexit" and do a character assassination on everyone from there.

Not just Burnley, towns like Bolton, Barnsley, Huddersfield, seen as entirely thick, violent, racist, homophobic and materially and culturally deprived just because the majority voted Leave (I know completely non-xenophobic Burnley folk who voted out to help Labour win the next GE!) This isn't just people joking around - some Leave-voting parents up and down the country will have another miserable Christmas as their Remain-voting children won't even contact them, let alone have tea with them. Hey Guardian readers - maybe you dislike Burnley and Burnley FC because it's genuine, down-to-earth, proud of its industrial heritage, celebrates its local sporting heroes, and doesn't have much class snobbery, compared to where you live, in poncey, pretentious, over-politically correct, thought-police artisan vegan bakery Coldplayland? Maybe Brighton just voted Remain as they suck at being British.
What about those poor folk in Kensington this morning with all those people saying bad things about Chelsea ? It’s just not fair on all those millionaires white upper class residents sat there have there mid morning frappacinos having to listen to Raheem Sterling bang on about Chelsea is it ?
Most areas of London are very mixed in social class - rough estates next to obscene wealth. Kensington is home to many millionaires but also where Grenfell was, and it wasn't exactly a posh white people's tragedy. Also, Chelsea's fanbase skews between the rich, the new "plastic" fan and the core working-class older fans who grew up on rough estates in Battersea and going west out of London towards Staines, Aldershot etc.
I don't know which demographic the alleged racists were from but I bet none of these places and bad historical incidents get brought up in a thinkpiece like this (about the same player, with a pic of white and Asian mates having a laugh!!!)

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-12240302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the poor people of Burnley can now sympathise with this victimisation of the “good” name of their town.
Nobody's saying Burnley is a paradise, there are great things and bloody awful things about it, just like most places on Earth. It's just that to the media and people who dislike us, it's not "kick one and we all limp", but "one idiot and all of us are to blame."

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:Why does it matter? No-one cares. He said Burnley... but he could’ve said Millwall, Chelsea, Stoke, Bristol Rovers or Oxford United. The point remains that 18 years ago, Football was a very different place and monky chants were part of it. Some people thought it was acceptable, others didn’t. Burnley could’ve had a team full of black players but some fans would still ‘tease’ the black opposition players. But I think this was at all clubs.

Thankfully, it’s not like that now, but there are still some idiots

Looking at the footage of the Chelsea fans though. They are so angry, but they look like those in there 40s. It’s childish. At 24, Sterling has achieved more, even in training, than those fools will ever do in their sad existence.
I would have thought the answer to that was blindingly obvious claptrappers. He did say Burnley, he didn't say Millwall or Chelsea or any of the other Teams you mentioned. And as I said in my post it wouldn't have weakened his argument if when mentioning the sort of casual racism that was common back then that he just referred to football in general rather than specifically picking out one Club.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Corky wrote:I would have thought the answer to that was blindingly obvious claptrappers. He did say Burnley, he didn't say Millwall or Chelsea or any of the other Teams you mentioned. And as I said in my post it wouldn't have weakened his argument if when mentioning the sort of casual racism that was common back then that he just referred to football in general rather than specifically picking out one Club.
But he talking about his first experience of racism, the topic of conversation and he described it was 18 years ago at Burnley... why should he protect Burnley?