Upvc bargeboards needed in Nelson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Upvc bargeboards needed in Nelson

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:18 am

Anyone know builders in the Burnley or Nelson area who can fit upvc boards on gable and soffits on our property.?

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Re: Upvc bargeboards needed in Nelson

Post by beddie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am

We're Skipton based so can't really help you but just a tip, make sure you get a few quotes. Some of the plastics used are of poor and flimsy quality. They look good for a while then fade or warp. Hopefully someone on here will recommend a good local tradesman. Hope you get sorted.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Oliasclaret
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Oliasclaret » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 am

Try Clitheroe plastics. They did a great job for me on short notice. Price was very competitive as well

Bosna
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by Bosna » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Just a heads up - if you're in a conservation area you'll likely need planning permission.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Garry Rhodes, done loads of work for us always does a good job and decent price

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Garry Rhodes 07974668486

Sausage
Been Liked: 639 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Bosna wrote:Just a heads up - if you're in a conservation area you'll likely need planning permission.
No you won't. This is a myth peddled by bellends such as Phil and Kirstie and a multitude of other so-called property professionals who have no idea how conservation legislation works. If the OP lives in a house rather than a flat, the replacement of bargeboards and soffits with uPVC is permitted development by virtue of falling within the definition of 'other alteration' of a dwellinghouse, as set out in Schedule 2, Part 1, Class A of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015.

Bosna

Post by Bosna » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Sausage wrote:No you won't. This is a myth peddled by bellends such as Phil and Kirstie and a multitude of other so-called property professionals who have no idea how conservation legislation works. If the OP lives in a house rather than a flat, the replacement of bargeboards and soffits with uPVC is permitted development by virtue of falling within the definition of 'other alteration' of a dwellinghouse, as set out in Schedule 2, Part 1, Class A of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015.
You should keep reading to Section A.2:

In the case of a dwellinghouse on article 2(3) land, development is not permitted by Class A
if—
(a) it would consist of or include the cladding of any part of the exterior of the dwellinghouse
with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles.

Article 2(3) land includes "an area designated as a conservation area under section 69 of the Planning (Listed
Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (designation of conservation areas)".

Also, any Planning Officer may also quote Section A.3, which states "Development is permitted by Class A subject to the following conditions—

(a) the materials used in any exterior work (other than materials used in the construction of a
conservatory) must be of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the
exterior of the existing dwellinghouse.

This is an aside, and unlikely to affect the OP, but I would argue that the introduction of plastic bargeboards and soffits (unless like-for-like) to a dwelling is LIKELY to require planning permission due to Section A.3(irrespective of whether it is in a conservation area). A.2 is more subjective, and depends on the defintion of cladding extending to bargeboards and soffits.

Bosna

Post by Bosna » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:55 pm

However, it would definitely cover cladding the gable with upvc boarding IF it was in a conservation area and UNLESS the existing cladding is plastic as per the regulations quoted above.

So my advice to the OP would be to quickly check that you are not in a conservation area, otherwise (quite unlikely however) you might have to deal with enforcement further down the line.

Bosna

Post by Bosna » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:57 pm

BTW my background is in Conservation.

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Bosna wrote:BTW my background is in Conservation.
Mine is in planning. Eighteen long tedious years of it, eight of them the busiest local authority (where 75% of the borough has conservation area status) in the UK and ten in private practice. I've yet to see a planning application for the replacement of bargeboards and soffits on a house in a conservation area, be they timber, uPVC or rare African ivory. The emphasis within the PD rights has to be on the use of materials of similar appearance which is not the same as similar materials. I also agree that the interpretation of 'cladding' could be argued to exclude bargeboards and soffits which are architectural elements in their own right.

BTW, we have just made this the most boring thread ever on UTC. And that is some feat on a site with page after page of Brexit arguments.
This user liked this post: Bosna

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Sausage wrote:
BTW, we have just made this the most boring thread ever on UTC. And that is some feat on a site with page after page of Brexit arguments.
Far from it. I have loved reading this thread. Another example of the rich tapestry that this site provides :)
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Wow everything turns into my ******** are bigger than yours on this board ! The poor bloke just wanted a contact number for someone to put a bit of plastic up and it turns into nursery time

Bosna

Post by Bosna » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:54 pm

More boring than the football? Ha.

Sausage is right re: bargeboards and soffits. But from a conservation standpoint the recladding of a gable in a conservation area is probably covered in the legislation and knowing a conservation officer, he/she will do anything they can to stop uPVC if its in a CA or setting of a listed building etc. Again this is the worst case scenario - most houses aren't listed or in a CA so I'm sure WoodleyClaret is fine, but it's definitely worth the 5 mins it takes to check.

Nice to know there's others on the board with planning experience.

Bosna

Post by Bosna » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Wow everything turns into my ******** are bigger than yours on this board ! The poor bloke just wanted a contact number for someone to put a bit of plastic up and it turns into nursery time
I only comment on here in extremely rare cases and when I think I can contribute (perhaps here), largely because how daft this forum is. I hope I didn't come across as being pedantic or unhelpful, and I certainly don't think Sausage did.

I
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Guppyspotter
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Guppyspotter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I'd love to know what it should cost, I've had 3 quotes from £5,000-£8,000 to have the soffits and facias and downpipes done. It's a good size semi-detatched but how can you decide if you are being ripped off apart from presuming I certainly am.

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Bosna wrote:I only comment on here in extremely rare cases and when I think I can contribute (perhaps here), largely because how daft this forum is. I hope I didn't come across as being pedantic or unhelpful, and I certainly don't think Sausage did.
Not at all, Bosna. As you know, you can't do this job if you're easily offended as there are always people queuing up to take a pop at you.

It's almost impossible to know if people posting on this board are experts in their own field or simply regurgitating other people's views. I must confess I had assumed you were the latter, so if anyone needs to apologise, it's me.

As for Ooohgeorgeoghani speculating about the size of my cojones, they're ******* massive and I make no apology.
These 2 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole Bosna

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:33 pm

I don't think there was anything wrong with that exchange.
Both posters were well informed and trying to help the OP
Also both amicable in finding the correct information.
Well done to both
This user liked this post: Bosna