Olympiakos v AC Milan

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretdj
Been Liked: 284 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Olympiakos v AC Milan

Post by claretdj » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 pm

I would of preferred to of seen Burnley v AC Milan on the turf tonight! :D
This user liked this post: ClaretJimmy

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Re: Olympiakos v AC Milan

Post by beddie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Yes I would "have" prefered to "have" seen Burnley v AC Milan on the turf tonight as well. ;)
These 2 users liked this post: claretdj Foulthrow

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:08 pm

In case you weren't aware - we wouldn't have simply had the same ball that Olympiakos had. The draw changed format after our tie and therefore wouldn't have been in the same group as Milan.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Will be glad when the group stage is over. Every matchday I can't help but contemplate what might have been!

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Well unfortunately we support a club that couldn't be arsed even attempting to try and progress.
These 4 users liked this post: TsarBomba houseboy BOYSIE31 CoolClaret

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12477 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Well unfortunately we support a club that couldn't be arsed even attempting to try and progress.
Is that why we beat Aberdeen and the Istanbul team?
These 4 users liked this post: Damo MrTopTier Bosscat LeadBelly

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1641 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Leisure wrote:Is that why we beat Aberdeen and the Istanbul team?
Luckily and undeservedly in both instances.

I'm sure Dyche tried to win, but if he REALLY wanted to win he wouldn't have played a reserve defence in the hotbed of Athens.

It remains unforgettable,, and, sadly, unforgivable.
These 3 users liked this post: TsarBomba houseboy Anonymous

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:15 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:It remains unforgettable,, and, sadly, unforgivable.
To quote most of the Germans at Nuremburg 'I was only following orders' :?

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Olympiakos away certainly wasn't the place for a keeper playing his first game for a year and a centre back pairing who'd played together once. Will probably bug me for the rest of my days as a Burnley fan, unless by some miracle we get to play in Europe again, which is extremely unlikely.
These 4 users liked this post: dsr Quicknick CoolClaret SGr

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:27 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Olympiakos away certainly wasn't the place for a keeper playing his first game for a year and a centre back pairing who'd played together once. Will probably bug me for the rest of my days as a Burnley fan, unless by some miracle we get to play in Europe again, which is extremely unlikely.
Don’t worry, they’re starting this Europa League II soon so youll be watching us away in Armenia before you know it

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:13 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Luckily and undeservedly in both instances.
So when we won we were lucky but when we got beat it was because we wanted to lose! You couldn't make it up!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Leisure wrote:So when we won we were lucky but when we got beat it was because we wanted to lose! You couldn't make it up!
Milan want to lose maybe....or maybe not 2..1

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Penalty to olympiakos

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6445 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 pm

AC Milan must be sh!t getting beat by this lot in Athens...
This user liked this post: Leisure

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:AC Milan must be sh!t getting beat by this lot in Athens...
No ....sh!tting themselves more like it. Olympiakos cheats of the highest order.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Leisure wrote:So when we won we were lucky but when we got beat it was because we wanted to lose! You couldn't make it up!
They already have, notice how I never mentioned him or her as I just don't know, that bits not made up :o

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Surely if we wanted to lose, we must have been unlucky when we won.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Surely if we wanted to lose, we must have been unlucky when we won.
We were unlucky when beating Aberdeen.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:10 am

I feel somewhat better about us losing to them now.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:14 am

I don't

We absolutely battered them at the Turf and no one would have complained if we'd won 5-0.

But we didn't take our chances, and that is what happens in football
These 2 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view BOYSIE31

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4183 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:17 am

I'm sure Dyche tried to win, but if he REALLY wanted to win he wouldn't have played a reserve defence in the hotbed of Athens.

You still banging this drum you tart

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:20 am

Not good with reality is Crosspool you have to say

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 am

IF we had beaten Olympiakos we would have held the ball that was given to Bordeaux due to our national seeding. So it could have been Zenit St petersburg, Slavia Prague and FC Copenhagen as they got, but, then again, everyone else would have moved up too so apart from Zenit it is anyone's guess.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1641 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:36 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Not good with reality is Crosspool you have to say
Lancs, yet again when you play the man not the ball with me it means you have lost the argument.

I'm not going to play the old "where were you in Athens" card, I fully appreciate it was difficult, but to spend a grand going all that way on my tod, risking life and limb to get to the stadium, only to discover a reserve defence trying to handle an unbelievable atmosphere?

When people say "still banging thay drum" - thats what unforgivable means folks. I will happily clap him off at matches and will support his team but it doesn't mean I forgive what he did to our one chance in Europe. Dyche did this, not me. His choice.

What you really mean Lancs, just like in our poltical discussions, is you are risk averse (which is fine) and worry about the alternative. In our brief life I think we should all be braver, and demand higher standards.

P.s. well done Olympiacos for knocking out Milan. I've emailed a few of the bars over there to congratulate some of the guys I was chatting to.
This user liked this post: houseboy

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 am

I managed to do Athens without risking life or limb, maybe it is better we are out for your own sake.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:33 am

Our defence that night was
Heaton , Bardsley ,Gibson Long Ward
In fairness hardly an inexperienced lot

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 am

JohnMac wrote:To quote most of the Germans at Nuremburg 'I was only following orders' :?
So are you saying you think Dyche was following the boards orders? Anything is possible but I find that hard to believe.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2971 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:48 am

AlargeClaret wrote:Our defence that night was
Heaton , Bardsley ,Gibson Long Ward
In fairness hardly an inexperienced lot

That's as maybe, but subsequent games have shown that that line up is not his first choice - which I think we all knew at the time.

Hardly going all out to win IMO.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Lancs, yet again when you play the man not the ball with me it means you have lost the argument.

I'm not going to play the old "where were you in Athens" card, I fully appreciate it was difficult, but to spend a grand going all that way on my tod, risking life and limb to get to the stadium, only to discover a reserve defence trying to handle an unbelievable atmosphere?

When people say "still banging thay drum" - thats what unforgivable means folks. I will happily clap him off at matches and will support his team but it doesn't mean I forgive what he did to our one chance in Europe. Dyche did this, not me. His choice.

What you really mean Lancs, just like in our poltical discussions, is you are risk averse (which is fine) and worry about the alternative. In our brief life I think we should all be braver, and demand higher standards.

P.s. well done Olympiacos for knocking out Milan. I've emailed a few of the bars over there to congratulate some of the guys I was chatting to.
Well said mate. There are still, unbelievably, many on here who refuse to blame Dyche for our poor Europa campaign (campaign is not really the right word, perhaps foray might be more appropriate) and think he did the right thing dropping half the players who got us there in the first place to supposedly 'prioritise' the PL. I said then and I will continue, as you do, to say he was wrong and he threw away a chance for a much better run and maybe play some big teams in Europe in favour of the boring sh!te that is the PL, and what good did it do? Currently 4th from bottom with a team that, until the last couple of games, didn't seem to want to play, maybe, as I have said before, because of the sheer betrayal in Europe, 'Okay lads, thanks for getting us into Europe, you can forget playing in it though because you have work to do in the PL'. No wonder they looked demotivated and p!ssed off.
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 tiger76

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 am

houseboy wrote:Well said mate. There are still, unbelievably, many on here who refuse to blame Dyche for our poor Europa campaign (campaign is not really the right word, perhaps foray might be more appropriate) and think he did the right thing dropping half the players who got us there in the first place to supposedly 'prioritise' the PL. I said then and I will continue, as you do, to say he was wrong and he threw away a chance for a much better run and maybe play some big teams in Europe in favour of the boring sh!te that is the PL, and what good did it do? Currently 4th from bottom with a team that, until the last couple of games, didn't seem to want to play, maybe, as I have said before, because of the sheer betrayal in Europe, 'Okay lads, thanks for getting us into Europe, you can forget playing in it though because you have work to do in the PL'. No wonder they looked demotivated and p!ssed off.
Could not put it better and that has been the root of all evil for our short comings this season - and if i was one of those players i would feel the same.
This user liked this post: tiger76

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:26 am

Have to say I agree with Crosspool on this one.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am

Nope, You are just ****** off cos we lost in Athens, and reckon that is Dyche fault.

Anybody else will remember it was 1-1 at half time and we were well in control. Referee had a shocker of a second half (thought not his fault we defended poorly for the 2nd) and we failed to take our chances in the 2nd leg.

Its reality mate.

You don't win any arguments by claiming I'm playing the man when you are ignoring reality. It just weakens your argument even more.

And you post screams "Proper Fan". I do hope you get a badge for that.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am

houseboy wrote:Well said mate. There are still, unbelievably, many on here who refuse to blame Dyche for our poor Europa campaign (campaign is not really the right word, perhaps foray might be more appropriate) and think he did the right thing dropping half the players who got us there in the first place to supposedly 'prioritise' the PL. I said then and I will continue, as you do, to say he was wrong and he threw away a chance for a much better run and maybe play some big teams in Europe in favour of the boring sh!te that is the PL, and what good did it do? Currently 4th from bottom with a team that, until the last couple of games, didn't seem to want to play, maybe, as I have said before, because of the sheer betrayal in Europe, 'Okay lads, thanks for getting us into Europe, you can forget playing in it though because you have work to do in the PL'. No wonder they looked demotivated and p!ssed off.
Sadly Dyche never embraces cups European or domestic,why i don't know know,it seems to be Premier League survival at all costs,and that's by no means guaranteed,i really hope we take the Barnsley tie seriously it's a game we should win and then let's see what the draw throws up next.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:10 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Nope, You are just ****** off cos we lost in Athens, and reckon that is Dyche fault.

Anybody else will remember it was 1-1 at half time and we were well in control. Referee had a shocker of a second half (thought not his fault we defended poorly for the 2nd) and we failed to take our chances in the 2nd leg.

Its reality mate.

You don't win any arguments by claiming I'm playing the man when you are ignoring reality. It just weakens your argument even more.

And you post screams "Proper Fan". I do hope you get a badge for that.
Why doesn't Dyche get any blame for his team selection?

To be fair the defence were even worse a few days later at Fulham though so I don't know how different it would of been?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 am

tiger76 wrote:Sadly Dyche never embraces cups European or domestic,why i don't know know,it seems to be Premier League survival at all costs,and that's by no means guaranteed,i really hope we take the Barnsley tie seriously it's a game we should win and then let's see what the draw throws up next.
I hope you are right mate but as we know one of Dyches' strengths is also his one of his weaknesses. He doesn't change things easily and that has brought many rewards over the time he has been with us but as we have seen this season he is glacially slow to change things when maybe a little more urgency is needed and as you say he seems to have no appetitie for cups.

I hope I am wrong but I fear that we will see the same old half team trotted out against Barnsley.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 am

Wouldn't necessarily say we were unlucky in the 2nd leg. If your strikers aren't up to scratch and you fail to strengthen adequately in the transfer window there's no one to blame but ourselves. Our subsequent league form and negative feeling around the club has been caused by Dyche deciding to not take the Europa seriously, however much the Dyche can do no wrong brigade will deny it.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:13 am

You can blame him for the team selection if you want

What you can't do is blame him for the result. Over the two legs we created more than enough to go through. We didn't.

Hey Ho, thats football.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:15 am

It was conceding 3 out in Athens that did for us. Don't think we would have done with Hart and Mee and Tarkowski in front of him.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:23 am

No, it was not taking the host of chances at home that did for us.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:35 am

If we didn't concede 3 and to be fair did well to keep it down to 3 after playing the final half hour with 10 men, then we simply wouldn't have come out all guns blazing and produce the best performance of the season by a country mile.

We would do the usual keep it tight see what happens.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:41 am

I think we all are trying to guess why we've been **** this year to be honest.

It looks like (at least to me) that we forgot just how hard we have to work to be competitive at this level, and that we've put far too much faith in the same players being able to have the same seasons as last season.

And everyone rotates teams for cup competitions. Its far more likely to be that our lads just were not used the demands. If we get there again, then this experiecne will have been invaluable. If we don't, then we all have the memories of being there for our European adventure.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 am

jrgbfc wrote:It was conceding 3 out in Athens that did for us. Don't think we would have done with Hart and Mee and Tarkowski in front of him.

Yeah it is not like any other side (even those with far more European experience than ours) would concede 3 away to Olympiakos not even as recent as last night, nor would it be likely being down to 10 men. Also it is even more unlikely considering we haven't conceded 3 goals in a game this season.

Good point

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm

And to be fair Crosspool I think we had the best of the European weather on our adventures.

I don't think it would be quite the same sat in the square beer in hand when it's 8 degrees.

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:49 pm

houseboy wrote:So are you saying you think Dyche was following the boards orders? Anything is possible but I find that hard to believe.
Obviously I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, nobody on here does. I think there is a strong chance a number of conversations have taken place between SD and MG over time that possibly aren't in the best interests of the paying fans. Not fact, just an opinion shared by others I have spoken to.

The players look as though they are trying but failing to present your best side time and time again without some form of agenda is a bit suspicious!
This user liked this post: houseboy

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:29 pm

JohnMac wrote: I think there is a strong chance a number of conversations have taken place between SD and MG over time that possibly aren't in the best interests of the paying fans.
Hi John - I'm very intrigued to hear just what these supposed conversations consist of? And how they are not in the best interests of fans ( but I presume are supposedly in the best interests of the club)?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2234 times
Has Liked: 2132 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Even the happiest of happy clappers surely can't argue with this.

It was a massive letdown and could perhaps be part of the reason for our shaky start.

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Again it's purely speculation Pete but to go from a team to be feared, to a team that is mocked implies something is amiss.

Maybe 'Don't dwell on the Cup competitions, get us out and make sure we stay in the Premier League' is a recurring theme.

As a fan I feel we have put very little effort into any of the Cup competitions since SD arrived. As a fan I want us to compete and would love a Cup win at Wembley as would many I speak with, you included I'm sure.

We aren't talking about losing to Man City, it's the Accrington, Lincoln, Burton type debacles that rankle.

I don't think we put much into Europe because we didn't play our strongest available players.

The money from the Premier League is important to the club but not to me, as a fan.

We didn't have it when we were a side to be feared in cup competitions not too many years ago.

I think the players busting a gut last season only to miss out on a chance to play in Europe may have unsettled the squad, hence our poor indifferent form.

No facts here, just opinion as you would expect on a message board.

claretdj
Been Liked: 284 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Back to last night's game, how shite must AC Milan be!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:04 pm

claretdj wrote:Back to last night's game, how shite must AC Milan be!
Neither side are as good as past glories.

But that's why they're playing Europa rather than Champions league.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Perhaps Dyche should have picked Hart ahead of Heaton for the olympicaos away game?