Positives and Negatives

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Positives and Negatives

Post by Blackrod » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Positives

Better organisation
A game we would have lost about 4-0 a few games ago
Last 3 games we have looked better
Not a terrible result in isolation
Dyche tried to change things for once

Negatives

Yet another defeat
We kind of got what we deserved the way we set up
We are a dull team with little creativity, quality or clinical finishing
There is a lack of goals throughout the team
The last 10 PL games sequence is Won 1 Drawn 2 Lost 7 For 6 goals against 22
There are no free hits if we don't get results against teams around us

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Re: Positives and Negatives

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:28 pm

That just about sums it up.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Huddersfield and cardiff lost and were NOT in the bottom three.....

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:36 pm

positives:
Ward and Defour to come back.
3 CHs worked well.
Hart excellent again.

negatives:
2 central midfielders have to get closer to the striker.
The FBs have to be told to occasionally cut inside the FBs instead of always going on the overlap. If only to keep the opponents on their toes.

Work in progress but a good start.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:40 pm

positives: defending well again
negatives: our passing accuracy is dreadful and we wont create many chances unless that drastically improves

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Was gonna make a similar post but I'll post it here.
Positive
-3 at the back looked solid and limited a better footballing team.
-Taylor made a couple of runs that showed promise if we use him in a more attacking role.
- Organization was like the Burnley we know.

Negative
- on the ball we were isolated and clueless. A few players attempted to make forward runs but nobody else moved and we lost the ball.
-Aimless punts and clearances. Mostly because there is nobody up to give the ball to but seriously the amount of pressure we were under did Dyche honestly expect us to get anything out of that game with those tactics.

Think the team did amazingly well to keep it 0-0 for as long as they did but we were awful on the ball the only player who looked like he wanted to attack was Taylor. I'm tired of clenching my arse for 90minutes praying the opposition don't score I would like to see us play a little football. We almost did around the 80 minute mark where we had about 3 threatening minutes I'd settle for 15-20 next game.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Negative - Hendrick must think his days are numbered at Burnley!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:44 pm

If we are going to play this way, then when Gibson and JBG come back we will be stronger, with 1 or 2 additions there's no reason we cant pull clear. It looks a lot more possible now, than it dis this time 14 days ago v Palace.

A hard one to take as we were so close, but in truth we deserved nothing, and at least I was only the 1 goal. The big 3 games come after Arsenal away, Spurs and next week were free hits IMO, and 2 1-0 defeats with decent showings wouldn't be the worst pair of results IMO

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1818 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:09 pm

There are no free hits in our position. You get them where we were last season.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Defended superbly today-glad I went. Team must be gutted they put their bodies on the line. I never thought we would threaten them with Barnes on his own and Brady & Lennon defending In fairness But Spurs away I never expected to win-so very proud of them. Thought Lennon played his socks off breaking up many moves. Ben and Tarks immense in defence and Westwood and Cork kept foraging all afternoon.

Long way to go and Arsenal next week, but apart from Man City no need to be frightened of anyone coming up

Concerned about our strike force-Ashley battled away against a monster of a defender, and at times chested down from difficult positions-bringing Wood on and Vokes is not game changing. We need to pull a rabbit out of the hat-personally for me someone like Jay Rod could have been effective up front on his own today but dread to think what WBA would want for him now. We may need to see who is not getting a game at Liverpool, Man City or Man U and hope our new technical director can pull a few strings in the loan market

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:55 pm

I think anybody would have had it difficult today upfront on his own. That includes Jay Rod. I really don't see what he would have offered that would be significantly different. Was the game plan to go and get a point? If it is, it almost worked, and made a lot of sense to go for that. I think come January, we should speculate a bit, with the thinking that if we do go down, the new signings will give us a season in the Championship to get back up.

That will ultimately need to be part of the deal - as they'll know we're likely to be pushing for a bounce back next season.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I thought the game plan worked pretty well today. It was obviously to accept that a draw would be a fantastic result and to stay in the game with a chance of at least a point as long as possible.

If I am being hyper critical I thought Dyche might have brought Hendrick on for Cork or Westwood and given Tarks licence to play in front of Long and Mee for the final 20 minutes bexcause 3 points was as likely as one at that point. But we can build on this and the players can take confidence from coming so close. In the end it took a goalkeeping mistake to deny us what would have been a fantastic point.

Denno97
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by Denno97 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Why does everyone keep banging on about Jay Rod. West Brom fans would drive him up here and when I've seen him on sky he's been ineffective. We've got better in Vydra who doesn't play and there is better out there in Europe