Sunderland ‘til I die - Netflix

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarets1978
Been Liked: 33 times

Re: Sunderland ‘til I die - Netflix

Post by clarets1978 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:29 pm

MACCA wrote:Don't have Netflix, hope to catch a glimpse of it on sky or BBC.

How long is it, if put together for 1 full length documentary?
Its a netflix documentary so unlikely to be on Sky or BBC. However if you have a smart phone or tablet you could get the Netflix app, sign up for the free first month and watch it that way. Just don't forget to cancel it before it runs out!

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3191 times
Has Liked: 1872 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:30 pm

clarets1978 wrote:did no one get annoyed by the continuity (if that's the word!) errors in this?

When they play at Brentford they show Grayson shouting instructions from the touchline and he's clearly at Hull.
The Bolton game was played on 31st September apparently
They focus on the fans supposedly shouting at some games going from blazing sunshine to floodlights and for home games seating to terracing (which there certainly isn't any of at Sunderland))

That aside I have watched the first three episodes and actually felt sorry for Grayson, The chief exec basically tells a fans forum he's going to get sacked, they changed the transfer policy on him after he arrived and (although this may be bad editing) they made it appear like he got sacked before the players even left the pitch after the Bolton home game
Tbh it wasn’t far off.
My mate was at that game and by the time he’d walked form the ground to his car, it has been announced Grayson was gone

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:01 pm

A good friend of mines dad appears briefly in the show (he’s part of Graysons management team) and according to them there’s certainly a fair bit of manipulation / editing gone on and that is why Grayson wasn’t entirely happy with the show. Also as someone above has written the goal posts were shifted in regards to transfers (a bit like at Bradford) for him.

As a side note I enjoyed the series but found myself disliking Coleman (not as a person) as a manager. I felt he played to the camera and that his image came before the team results. More matey than ruthless.
Last edited by KlyBfc on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: AotearoaClaret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Just finished watching the series as I was looking for something to do with my Christmas holidays. Was brilliant and far better than the Man City one which I switched off after about 20 mins of episode 1.

Really felt for the Sunderland supporters, aside from a few of those bellends you get at every club, like the one who thoroughly embarrassed himself abusing Coleman at the end. I also felt desperately sorry for the staff at Sunderland.

I think Coleman actually came across really well and genuine, as the affection the staff had for him at the end was real imo. Grayson came across as exactly what he is, a league 1 manager lacking entirely in charisma and intelligence.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:28 pm

clarets1978 wrote:Its a netflix documentary so unlikely to be on Sky or BBC. However if you have a smart phone or tablet you could get the Netflix app, sign up for the free first month and watch it that way. Just don't forget to cancel it before it runs out!
ok cheers, I'm not into all the messing to be honest, so will just leave it unless it lands on my lap.

John Johnson 1605
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by John Johnson 1605 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Excellent series.
Does anyone remember the series on Sheffield United from late 80’s/early 90’s ? One episode featured the transfer of John Francis to us. Very watchable at the time.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Coleman comes across as a nice guy but a clueless manager.

Constantly talking in platitudes.

AotearoaClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Post by AotearoaClaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Macca - try the free trial on Netflix if you haven’t already- pretty sure it’s 30 days- ample time to watch it!

Edit - beaten to it!
Last edited by AotearoaClaret on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AotearoaClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Post by AotearoaClaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:53 pm

clarets1978 wrote:did no one get annoyed by the continuity (if that's the word!) errors in this?

When they play at Brentford they show Grayson shouting instructions from the touchline and he's clearly at Hull.
The Bolton game was played on 31st September apparently
They focus on the fans supposedly shouting at some games going from blazing sunshine to floodlights and for home games seating to terracing (which there certainly isn't any of at Sunderland))

That aside I have watched the first three episodes and actually felt sorry for Grayson, The chief exec basically tells a fans forum he's going to get sacked, they changed the transfer policy on him after he arrived and (although this may be bad editing) they made it appear like he got sacked before the players even left the pitch after the Bolton home game
Great spotting - my mate told me that his dad Peter, the chirpy taxi driver, was not actually in the documentary til after the Bolton game half way through the season......all the stuff that was in the series before that was edited in, to look like he was talking the whole season through.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 pm

I noticed the stadium errors. Didn’t affect the viewing though.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2054 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Coleman comes across as a nice guy but a clueless manager.

Yeah thought the same. How was he as a club manager before taking the Welsh job? (although credit to him for the job he did with Wales)

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 am

AotearoaClaret wrote:
He was let go not long ago - It was Isaiah Wright (the guy in season 2 with the big brother who was at college with him after going through foster care). He was out with a group who killed another person to steal drug money from him.

It’s a brilliant watch and i’d recommend everyone to watch it. There’s also a great documentary made not long ago called “Student Athlete” which covers things.

An eye opening doc I watched a while ago on the collegiate athlete system was “Schooled - The price of college sports” a few years ago which covers how big and how much money is made from sports over there and how much students are used as commodities to make money.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:45 am

Watched the first 3 episodes and it's really surprisingly good.

31st September game they played but the team were wearing the poppy shirts. Also there was something on a pub advertising Halloween then the next bit shows the season only being a few games old in September.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 am

Just watched 3 episodes tonight on Netflix which was a bonus....they don't always show what Netflix UK does and vice versa.

Frankly I'd have fired Grayson after that flip chart presentation. If that wasn't a sign of things to come I don't know what was!

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:16 pm

On episode 3 now. Jason Steele comes across as a crybaby. Not what you need at a club in free fall.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 pm

John Johnson 1605 wrote:Excellent series.
Does anyone remember the series on Sheffield United from late 80’s/early 90’s ? One episode featured the transfer of John Francis to us. Very watchable at the time.
I do. I believe Dave Bassetts advice to John Francis at the time was not to steal anything. Wonder how that kind of comment would go down today.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:50 pm

Papabendi wrote:I do. I believe Dave Bassetts advice to John Francis at the time was not to steal anything. Wonder how that kind of comment would go down today.
Paid his dues with that quick-fire double at Plymouth in the play-offs,and his winner at York to secure promotion,i didn't realise John still had a role at the club,works in the academy.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 am

Papabendi wrote:I do. I believe Dave Bassetts advice to John Francis at the time was not to steal anything. Wonder how that kind of comment would go down today.
https://youtu.be/B1tGugya7Uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good memory Papa! 9 mins in...
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Excellent stuff and Rodwell being portrayed as the villian didn't really explain the full story as to why he wasn't involved in any games.

Came across as someone without any connection to the fans or staff at the club probably due to editing but regardless it shows how stupid some clubs are when forming contracts.

Lewis Grabban is a mercenary and has no loyalty to anyone or anything beyond the next pound.

Off the field they have a fantastic setup and I was shocked at how crap they were on the field!

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Funny how the car wrecking drunk driving booze riddled Gibson who was sacked got a good send off whilst Rodwell who must have had other edited out issues is painted as a villian. It seems there was a one year delay in his relegation cause kicking in, so he was paid at 70K a week for the first year down. The fact it was so basket case that season wasn’t just down to him. It was mutual consent when he eventually left with his wages at 43k a week, which would equate to 50% of the average league one clubs total wages.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 pm

What was the reason Rodwell didn’t play?
They were obviously a crap team and he’s not the worst player around. A succession of managers didn’t pick him.
Were City due another payment after another appearance?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Just started watching this very entertaining bar the shocking match day editing!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm

Heard the other day that they are mid-filming of a second series of STIDie
These 2 users liked this post: Anonymous burnleybassman

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:48 pm

Great find re: Sheffield United and John F

Richardsbfc
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by Richardsbfc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Just started watching this. The opening of episode one is unbelievable. Praying for Sunderland football club in church.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:What was the reason Rodwell didn’t play?
They were obviously a crap team and he’s not the worst player around. A succession of managers didn’t pick him.
Were City due another payment after another appearance?
Wondered this as well if he was fit why was he not getting in that team! Is he still at Rovers?

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by IndigoLake » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Just finished watching this yesterday - very good and well worth a watch. Have to say, Sunderland fans are certainly a passionate bunch. I seem to remember a group of them coming down to Burnley games for a while to see Kevin Ball play for us.

Didn't think much of Rodwell and Grabban. O'Shea, Cattermole, Honeyman etc came across pretty well and clearly cared for the club. Certainly felt bad for Coleman but he ultimately didn't do enough in what was admittedly a tough situation.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Coleman comes across as a nice guy but a clueless manager.

For a manager who has gone into a relegated club with zero confidence his attitude of I leave it to them to learn and solve problems could not have been further from what was needed. They needed bollockings and some structure, both individually and as a team.
Emphasised when McGeady said he had no idea where to go when they changed to a 4-3-3 after taking the lead.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Just watching the final episode.
Been very watchable.
Shows how quickly a big club can get into an almighty mess with poor management. The astronomical sums involved with the premier league have meant that when clubs get it wrong it can go very very wrong.
Obviously Sunderland means everything to the fans and most of them just see the decline and rubbish served up on the pitch without knowing the reasons. Hopefully after watching the series they get a bit more of an idea as to the mess they were in and the lack of options to turn things around whilst Short was still there.
Coleman seemed like a nice bloke - he did seem a bit lost but not sure what more he could have done. The fan giving him abuse and wanting to fight with him after being relegated was pretty shocking to see.
It’s nice to see them on the up again this year and enjoying the season.

Would absolutely love to see a fly on the wall doc of Burnley...obviously not of our demise !! Would be such an eye opener.

burnleybassman
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by burnleybassman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 am

Very interesting documentary but it's dreadfully depressing. I would say it is even more demoralising to watch than Premier Passions was and that is really saying something! Nothing but sadness for the supporters who turned up in their thousands no matter what. Felt sorry for Coleman at the end but he was found wanting really.

Good to see them doing better this season and good luck to Jimmy Dunne!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:54 am

I don't have Netflix either but I've just signed up for a free month and have reached episode 4.

Spoiler alert: Grayson has been sacked.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I don't have Netflix either but I've just signed up for a free month and have reached episode 4.

Well, some kind person off here allowed me to use their Netflix account, so I am also now watching it.

I've just watched episode 4 last night, hoping to get another in this weekend at some point.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I don't have Netflix either but I've just signed up for a free month and have reached episode 4.

It's strange watching it with this air of inevitability. You know it's not going to end well for them but I couldn't help root for them anyway.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Really enjoyed watching this but I have to agree with others on the continuity and editing errors , it’s really odd because they seem to have put so much effort in to the production of this and then get lazy with easy things like this.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Finished watching it last week. Having been through really hard times watching Burnley I could really relate to it.
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:43 am

The THIRD and FINAL season of STID is now available on NETFLIX 👍🏻

Ps. Hoping that their 2-0 lead to a 2-4 home defeat against the Clarets, gets an airing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:48 am

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:43 am

Ps. Hoping that their 2-0 lead to a 2-4 home defeat against the Clarets, gets an airing.
I rather doubt that - it's about their League One promotion season in 2021/22

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:49 am

Fair enough. It’s a good watch, regardless.

ISpeds00
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by ISpeds00 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:55 am

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:43 am

Absolutely delusional fans in Season 3 episode 1 -
Hard done to arent they

That club are a million miles away from competing with the biggest in english football

ClaretsPadiham
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:38 am

The Will Grigg transfer is comedy gold.

There’s a similar one Burnley did under Stan, called Stan the Man.

It’s an hour long and good viewing it’s on Youtube ….

https://youtu.be/PhDzme22tw0?si=f8zcAJ5KHzztxkxV