How did we play yesterday?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

How did we play yesterday?

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 am

Didn't see the game as the moosus HAD to go shopping despite my many excuses etc (not even watched MOTD yet) By the scoreline it looks like our defence is finally looking solid again.

A bit concerned about the creativity side of things but if you remember when SD first took over he spent a while sorting out the defence before the creative side of things so maybe we might have a few surprises in January!?

Oh Merry Chrimbo all you clarets. :D

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: How did we play yesterday?

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:19 am

We defended until they scored. We had 0 shots on target and apart from Barnes smacking one into their defence it was business as usual aka hoof pass back to Hart and continue.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 am

Didn’t Barnes have a header that went over as well?

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 2920 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am

Team effort was excellent. We have had too many games this season where teams have absolutely pulled us apart and created chance after chance, but that wasn't the case yesterday. We really limited the number of good chances an excellent attacking team like Spurs could create. I think midway through the second half they had had just one chance on target.

Although we didn't offer much in attack, which was clearly the game plan, we did have a couple of chances to nick a goal. If you can appreciate hard work and some excellent defensive work, you will see we played very very well yesterday and were unlucky not to get a point for the efforts.

If we can keep putting in performances like that against the big guns, I can see us nicking points. Overall things looking far more positive than they were 4 or 5 games ago.
These 5 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret FactualFrank Loyalclaret claretfern simonclaret

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:We defended until they scored. We had 0 shots on target and apart from Barnes smacking one into their defence it was business as usual aka hoof pass back to Hart and continue.
Merry humbug Jew boy :D ;)

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:36 am

burnleymik wrote:Team effort was excellent. We have had too many games this season where teams have absolutely pulled us apart and created chance after chance, but that wasn't the case yesterday. We really limited the number of good chances an excellent attacking team like Spurs could create. I think midway through the second half they had had just one chance on target.

Although we didn't offer much in attack, which was clearly the game plan, we did have a couple of chances to nick a goal. If you can appreciate hard work and some excellent defensive work, you will see we played very very well yesterday and were unlucky not to get a point for the efforts.

If we can keep putting in performances like that against the big guns, I can see us nicking points. Overall things looking far more positive than they were 4 or 5 games ago.
100% agree with all of the above and you had to feel for the players in the 91st minute when all of their hard work went down the drain.

We looked like a team again.
These 2 users liked this post: burnleymik FactualFrank

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:45 am

Functional and in transition, I would say.

Getting back into good habits and hard work to make up for lack of real quality - and there's nowt
wrong with that so long as we continue to improve at a rate sufficient to ensure our survival.
These 2 users liked this post: claretfern Marty Dobson

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:57 am

Thought we did really well yesterday. Keep battling like we have the past 3 games and we’ll be fine.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:30 pm

WE defended brilliantly and I went there thinking we would be vulnerable to conceding goals. We did it by playing 5 at the back and Brady/Lennon doing what Boyd and Arfield used to do-ie coming back to help the full backs all game. As a result our ability to carry the play forward was thwarted despite having several opportunities to do so. Even Barnes the lone striker was coming deep

Great improvement in our play and if we had a couple of strikers capable of taking chances I would fancy us sneaking a few 1-0 wins. A player like Rondom can get Newcastle all the points against the run of play. Wood, Vokes and Barnes sadly are not game changers and our best hope yesterday was set plays which is where Barnes only shot came from. BE interesting how we set up at home v a bottom half club