Krakow ..

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Krakow ..

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:59 pm

I know there was a post on here a while ago but can’t ind it when I searched for it.

Looking at doing a quick couple of days over there soon and just wondering what tips people have -

Will be doing Auschwitz but wondering if it’s better with/without a guide and any tips on getting there/tickets etc ...

Also seen the salt mines that look really nice

Then there are the sites around the centre too ....

We’ll only be able to squeeze in a couple of nights there so just looking for what would be best to do to utilise this time.
This user liked this post: Gendy

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: Krakow ..

Post by SGr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Multi Qlti Tap Bar.

Trust me.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 pm

bfccrazy wrote: Will be doing Auschwitz but wondering if it’s better with/without a guide and any tips on getting there/tickets etc ...
I’ve been without a guide. It’s doable but there’s always a risk of course regarding space, etc. To get there on your own you can buy a relatively inexpensive coach ticket from Krakow Bus Station.
This user liked this post: bfccrazy

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 pm

We paid for the travel/guide at Auschwitz and the salt mines. This was on two seperate Kraków trips though; if you were to do both you wouldn't have much time for anything else if you're only there for a couple of nights.
This user liked this post: bfccrazy

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:25 pm

I can tell you that it's a bit on the chilly side at this time of year.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/poland/krakow/ext" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:31 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:We paid for the travel/guide at Auschwitz and the salt mines. This was on two seperate Kraków trips though; if you were to do both you wouldn't have much time for anything else if you're only there for a couple of nights.
I have seen guided tours which let you do both in a day - would that be too much as it’d probably be a 12 hour day of trips.

I don’t know if i want to mix up Auschwitz with the Salt Mines into the same day and it feel rushed.
Last edited by bfccrazy on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:I can tell you that it's a bit on the chilly side at this time of year.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/poland/krakow/ext" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perfect :lol:

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:00 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I have seen guided tours which let you do both in a day - would that be too much as it’d probably be a 12 hour day of trips.

I don’t know if i want to mix up Auschwitz with the Salt Mines into the same day and it feel rushed.
Can't remember the times but they probably both set off around 9.30 and arrived back between 1.00 and 3.00. Both in a day would be a long day. Also, if Auschwitz was first of a double header, I wouldn't want to be off on another tour; I found a bit of reflection time was needed.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Can't remember the times but they probably both set off around 9.30 and arrived back between 1.00 and 3.00. Both in a day would be a long day. Also, if Auschwitz was first of a double header, I wouldn't want to be off on another tour; I found a bit of reflection time was needed.
This was my thought process too.

I think it’s an early morning start to get to Auschwitz for 9am and around there and then onto the Salt Mines for 2/3 hours afterwards.

Some reviews have said it was nice to brighten up the mood after Auschwitz but I kind of don’t want to take away from what we witness there by just plodding off to another trip.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:09 pm

I work around this area a lot. Glwice is a really nice town to visit. Nice food and bars plus it's where world war 2 started in the wooded radio tower. Krakow is a bit too commercial.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:13 pm

I personally wouldn't do another trip on the same day as Auschwitz.

It's a very emotional and draining experience and one for quiet reflection afterwards.

Well, it was for me.

We did the salt mines the following day, which are well worth the visit too.

We found that organised trips out of Krakow was by far the best option for us, and
they were quite willing to negotiate on price if you booked the two trips at the same
time. I dare say it would be even cheaper if you also booked a taxi back to the airport.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 am

Funkydrummer wrote:I personally wouldn't do another trip on the same day as Auschwitz.

It's a very emotional and draining experience and one for quiet reflection afterwards.

Well, it was for me.

We found that organised trips out of Krakow was by far the best option for us, and
they were quite willing to negotiate on price if you booked the two trips at the same
time. I dare say it would be even cheaper if you also booked a taxi back to the airport.
We’d be landing late on the first day (Don’t leave the missus to book flights :twisted: ) - so would probably struggle to find somebody there to sort all the trips out as we’d be wanting to go the following morning to Auschwitz early on.

If anybody could recommend a good company that I could contact before arriving to sort it, it would be a great help.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 am

Two days isn't enough.
Schindler factory is also the Polish War Museum.
Auschwitz/Birkenau.
Salt mines.
City centre and Wawel Castle.
Not done it but I believe they have now opened the Concentration Camp used for Schindlers Children.
Jewish Quarter.

A wonderful City.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 am

This is the one that we used. Very good and very helpful.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Craco ... 9?hl=en-GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 am

Not so straightforward just turning up at Auschwitz now. You need to go on the website and check the details.
Basically if you don't go on an organised trip - not that expensive, you run the risk of not getting in unless you arrive before , (I think it's 10.a.m.).
Theoretically you can book a place on line, but the tours in English tend to be snapped up quickly by all the local agents / minibus firms, so you would need to check online for times early. (I mean weeks in advance).
Personally I would say go with one of the minibus firms. Depart at say 11. Drop off at the gate around 12 where you are met by an official guide at gate. Approx 2 hour tour of Auschwitz 1, then same minibus takes you to Auschwitz 2 where you can wander around for a further 2 or 3 hours. Minibus then drops you back near your hotel.Total duration about 7 hours.
If you shop around you should get that sort of package for about £25 each, and whilst that's a lot more expensive than just going on the bus, it's much more convenient, and ensures that you get an official guided tour in English, and your own shuttle from site 1 to site 2.
When booking, check that the tour includes everything you want. Some are considerably cheaper, and do include access to both sites, but the "official guide" is a paper map and brochure!
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:47 am

Went to Krakow around 5 years ago.
For Auschwitz we got a taxi from the rank outside our hotel. The driver spoke a little bit of English.
He took us there and then waited almost 3 hours for us while we went round the camp.
He then drove us back to Krakow, think the journey was around 1 hour.

Total cost for this was around 20 quid. We gave him a tenner tip which he was over the moon with.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am

Funkydrummer wrote:I personally wouldn't do another trip on the same day as Auschwitz.

Well, it was for me.

I think that FD's post sums it up for me almost perfectly but as said it depends how much the visit to Auschwitz affects you emotionally.

I you are only there for two days I would save the time and possibly the emotional draining that the visit there can induce for another trip.

In Krakow itself I would definitely do the ice mine as I had not seen anything like it in my like simply incredible I thought.

We went about 7/8 years ago and we plan on go back again their at some point, going in the winter seemed to us to give the place certain something I can't really put into words.

Always difficult to advice a stranger about a holiday break destination so hope you enjoy yourselves and look forward to a report on your visit.

ice mine? I do of course mean the Salt Mine as my wife has just reminded me :D

Hantsclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Hantsclaret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 pm

I go there reasonably often - choose one or the other (ie Auschwitz or Salt Mines) - Krakow is such a beautiful city that you shouldnt miss out on just walking around. For food and drink, avoid the main square and instead go to the Jewish Quarter (15 mins walk from the centre) - atmospheric, good food and a lot cheaper. Some pretty cool "secret" bars too... (let me know if you want directions)

If you fancy something different, we did the cold war tour in a Trabant - which was wonderful - it was about 3 or 4 hours and the guide was wonderful - you do get to see another part of Krakow.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Ah yes the Jewish Quarter another little City/Town in its own right and in the centre itself if I'm not mistaken?

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:16 pm

As has been said on many other Krakow threads the pub, at link, is run by a Claret.

http://www.teatimebrewpub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leyland Claret
Been Liked: 103 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Leyland Claret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Auschwitz/Birkenau is around 1 hour from Krakow. We went with an organised travel/tour and I would highly recommend that. It is a definite place to visit but you don't realise the scale of what happened and like somebody else stated reflection time is needed.

Regarding the salt mines is very easy to get to by train (the very last stop at Wieliczka) and just pay on the door and join the English guided tour line. Prepare yourself for a lot of walking though! You are climbing down stairs for at least 10 minutes!

Krakow is a beautiful city and I would recommend the Wodka cafe bar near to the main square. You can try various flavours of vodka but I would highly recommend the caramel vodka!

Also try a Zapiekanka from one of the side street shops.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 pm

ND at post 15 sums it up very well as to why it's much better to go with an organised tour,
and I would take that advice if I were you.

As for grub, try the broth in an open bowl made of bread - I forget it's name. Well worth a go at it !!!!

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Found it. Not surprised that I couldn't remember what it was called. :D

White Barszcz Zurek (Sour Bread Soup)

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/w ... bread-soup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Hantsclaret wrote:I go there reasonably often - choose one or the other (ie Auschwitz or Salt Mines) - Krakow is such a beautiful city that you shouldnt miss out on just walking around. For food and drink, avoid the main square and instead go to the Jewish Quarter (15 mins walk from the centre) - atmospheric, good food and a lot cheaper. Some pretty cool "secret" bars too... (let me know if you want directions)

If you fancy something different, we did the cold war tour in a Trabant - which was wonderful - it was about 3 or 4 hours and the guide was wonderful - you do get to see another part of Krakow.
I’d love to learn more about the secret bars please - we always try and hunt them out wherever we go.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:28 pm

I did both of the camps and the salt mine in one day.

Just needs some planning, but well worth doing.
We did the camps with a guide and we felt it was good value for money.

Salt mine is mind blowing too.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Targetman wrote:Went to Krakow around 5 years ago.
For Auschwitz we got a taxi from the rank outside our hotel. The driver spoke a little bit of English.
He took us there and then waited almost 3 hours for us while we went round the camp.
He then drove us back to Krakow, think the journey was around 1 hour.

Total cost for this was around 20 quid. We gave him a tenner tip which he was over the moon with.
Already covered this. you can't really just do this now. Access to Auschwitz 1 (museum) is now restricted to pre-booked tours unless you arrive before about 10a.m.
This has been done due to the ever increasing numbers of visitors.
Access to Auschwitz 2 (Birkenau) is still unlimited due to the vastness of the site.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:07 pm

piston broke wrote:As has been said on many other Krakow threads the pub, at link, is run by a Claret.

http://www.teatimebrewpub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right quiz time who can be the 1st to name the match featured very briefly in the second video down to the right?

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Right quiz time who can be the 1st to name the match featured very briefly in the second video down to the right?
You’ve got me.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:54 pm

piston broke wrote:You’ve got me.
I’m not surprised it was rather a quick shot :D

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:26 pm

After visiting Auschwitz I didn't speak for at least half an hour and I didn't feel like I could eat anything for the rest of the day. If you look up the word harrowing and it will direct you to Auschwitz. The place truly haunted me and the rest of the day was a blur, granted I spent some of it in a vodka bar.... That said I think that everybody should visit.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:56 am

A photo I took last year that seemed to sum up Auschwitz

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:26 pm

What is the photo of the swimming pool trying to prove?

There was a swimming pool, yes. It was in the Concentration Camp section of Auschwitz, not in the Death Camp section (Birkenhau).

claretsmart
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by claretsmart » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Got back yesterday and have been many times.

Agree with all that has been said above about only doing Auschwitz on its own day.

Had no idea there was a Claret-run pub by the river otherwise I would have popped in. There is also another pub with a massive Clarets flag behind the bar, it's called English Football Club - you'll never guess what type of bar it is.

http://efckrakow.pl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if the link will work but have tried to link to the website.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Hantsclaret wrote:I go there reasonably often - choose one or the other (ie Auschwitz or Salt Mines) - Krakow is such a beautiful city that you shouldnt miss out on just walking around. For food and drink, avoid the main square and instead go to the Jewish Quarter (15 mins walk from the centre) - atmospheric, good food and a lot cheaper. Some pretty cool "secret" bars too... (let me know if you want directions)

Just a bump to get more info on those secret bars please mate.

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm

But that's not the main area where all the killings happened is it? You really are an embarrassment. Disgusting.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Clearly bluelab has never been...

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Re:
BlueLabs idiotic and unspeakably disrespectful post.
It's not claimed at Auschwitz that the Gas Chamber at Auschwitz 1 is authentic or original. It's a repro, so that people can "experience" it - and very chilling it is when you go in and they close the doors behind you.
The gas chambers that were blown up by the Nazis in 1945 are still there to be seen at the Birkenau site.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Can’t believe this idiot is not permanently banned - he’s braindead
This user liked this post: TheFamilyCat

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:08 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
The gas chambers that were blown up by the Nazis in 1945 are still there to be seen at the Birkenau site.
Are they must be the collapsed pair of chambers at the end of the railway line if my memory serves me right, is that right ND?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Re:
BlueLabs idiotic and unspeakably disrespectful post.
It's not claimed at Auschwitz that the Gas Chamber at Auschwitz 1 is authentic or original. It's a repro, so that people can "experience" it - and very chilling it is when you go in and they close the doors behind you.
The first chamber was at Camp 1, that's what is in the image on here and what I was told on my tour.

The other, main, gas chambers were at Birkenau, at the end of the railway line.
They were blown up by the fleeing Nazis.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:51 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Are they must be the collapsed pair of chambers at the end of the railway line if my memory serves me right, is that right ND?
Thats the ones.

Northerner
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Northerner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm

I'd recommend using a guide for Auschwitz, much easier no hassle.

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm

I’m hoping that the removal of blue Labrador’s posts also means he has been permanently banned what a disgusting individual. Can’t believe there are still people like him / her walking the earth.

Hantsclaret

Post by Hantsclaret » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:05 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Just a bump to get more info on those secret bars please mate.
Apologies for the delay...here is some info:

There are 2 hidden drink bars worth visiting while being in a Jewish part of the city: 1st is "z Ust do Ust" - on Estery 18 street (you need to go through PIK billard club) and 2nd is on Bożego Ciala street ( you need to follow the rabbit prints on the pavement (around number 12)

Enjoy!

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:57 pm

Hantsclaret wrote:Apologies for the delay...here is some info:

There are 2 hidden drink bars worth visiting while being in a Jewish part of the city: 1st is "z Ust do Ust" - on Estery 18 street (you need to go through PIK billard club) and 2nd is on Bożego Ciala street ( you need to follow the rabbit prints on the pavement (around number 12)

Enjoy!
Thank you so much - I had booked into Z Ust do Ust a few days ago for us (not mentioned it to the missus as she’ll surely be confused by the out of order entrance) when I drag her there.

Will look into the other place too as that seems great.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Hantsclaret

Post by Hantsclaret » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Thank you so much - I had booked into Z Ust do Ust a few days ago for us (not mentioned it to the missus as she’ll surely be confused by the out of order entrance) when I drag her there.

Will look into the other place too as that seems great.

Thanks so much for the reply.

No worries - we spent a lot of time at Eszeweria as well - a very dark little bar on Jozefa - perfect for a cold winters afternoon!

Gendy
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Gendy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:01 pm

I liked the city but I was there for a week. Tickets to Auschwitz better to buy in advance. When we came to Krakow there was some huge youth religious conference including people from all around the world so the closest dates to visit Auschwitz was in several days and later even weeks. So better buy online in advance and book a tour guide because in such place it is really important. regarding accommodation you either can book hotel or rent property in Poland https://tranio.com/rent/poland/ like this maybe will be more interesting. And of course try local food because in my opinion it is delicious.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Hantsclaret wrote:No worries - we spent a lot of time at Eszeweria as well - a very dark little bar on Jozefa - perfect for a cold winters afternoon!
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... oland.html

Also looking forward to trying out this place - kitted out as the old shops from the outside - and kept fated inside with carpenters benches etc which looks like a cosy place to waste an hour or so.

We’re staying a few minutes walk from Kazimierz so easy to get to anything around there.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Gendy wrote:I liked the city but I was there for a week. Tickets to Auschwitz better to buy in advance. When we came to Krakow there was some huge youth religious conference including people from all around the world so the closest dates to visit Auschwitz was in several days and later even weeks. So better buy online in advance and book a tour guide because in such place it is really important. regarding accommodation you either can book hotel or rent property in Poland https://tranio.com/rent/poland/ like this maybe will be more interesting. And of course try local food because in my opinion it is delicious.
Thanks mate, I sorted out an apartment for us and it’s worked out a treat with the owners sorting out our transfers from the airport (costs about £3 more than others but saves a lot of hassle as I read that taxis can’t enter the centre).

Also booked a trip to Auschwitz and to the Salt Mines already - found a page on tripadvisor and just messaged them for a contact number and whatsapped the guy to sort it for us and it worked out cheaper than online prices by about £10.

Only a few days left now to go so doing a bit of digging on places to try the local treats - found the chimney cones cafe ... the pierogi 24hr spot and a place highly recommended for soup bread bowl mushroom soup.

Should keep us busy and warm in the middle of working our way through the things to see around the centre.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Just an update after getting back -

The whole weekend was cold but brilliant.

Auschwitz was a really odd place for me - Wasn’t til I reflected afterwards on the happenings and the things I had seen did it dawn on me properly. Whilst there it just didn’t actually sink in fully as there was so much to see and so much information (usually more shocking than the last piece).

The salt mines were a bit underwhelming for me - the chapel was stunning and it’s ticked off the bucketlist but I wouldn’t go again. I think I just prefer more “real” history than princesses who want salt mines instead of precious stones....

Schindler’s factory is definitely worth a visit. I left with a different opinion of him after more information (I’ve never really known more than “he saved lots of Jews” before going).

The food was amazing though and any excuse for a mulled wine/mulled polish beer is always welcome. The 24/7 Pierogi place was quality as was every other place we ate from “posh” places to street food carts. (Recommend trying the chimney cakes and the potato cakes).

We walked all over and it was easy enough to follow maps on the phone to anywhere around the main parts to tick off the tourist spots.
Attachments
527344B3-5C5C-4F18-9319-AA9CDA6468CC.jpeg
527344B3-5C5C-4F18-9319-AA9CDA6468CC.jpeg (166.77 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
97F55C64-044B-4394-9FBB-7840EFD9CA73.jpeg
97F55C64-044B-4394-9FBB-7840EFD9CA73.jpeg (303.74 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
37F95E30-C72A-4F78-978E-322EF89558D7.jpeg
37F95E30-C72A-4F78-978E-322EF89558D7.jpeg (196.72 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
This user liked this post: piston broke