ARTICLE: Hendrick contract extended

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Re: ARTICLE: Hendrick contract extended

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 am

Spijed wrote:Have you anything positive to say about the club as everything you say is totally negative?
Yes i do but certainly not this season yet

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:32 pm

I’ve got a stat for you. How many games has Hendrick started in 2018 that we won?

Two:

Everton at home. He was hooked at half time when we were losing 1-0 and we ended up winning 2-1.

West Ham away. He went off after about 70 minutes when it was 0-0 and we ended up winning 3-0.

Boysie is very negative but for having a go at him for not being positive about Hendrick whose ultimately had a winless 2018 is quite frankly ridiculous.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:I’ve got a stat for you. How many games has Hendrick started in 2018 that we won?

Two:

Everton at home. He was hooked at half time when we were losing 1-0 and we ended up winning 2-1.

West Ham away. He went off after about 70 minutes when it was 0-0 and we ended up winning 3-0.

Boysie is very negative but for having a go at him for not being positive about Hendrick whose ultimately had a winless 2018 is quite frankly ridiculous.

Is that true? That's quite remarkable.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:I’ve got a stat for you. How many games has Hendrick started in 2018 that we won?

Two:

So did that make Gareth Bale rubbish when Spurs failed to win any of the first 24 matches he started in the team?

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1355 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Fair to say Spice and Boysie are representing the extreme ends of opinion regarding Hendrick's ability. The truth he's not as awful as Boysie thinks and not as good as Spice thinks he is.

He's a bang average footballer who's handy to have around but is probably quite easy to replace. The contract extension is barely newsworthy.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Decent footballer. Would be stupid to let him leave for nowt. Long term will hopefully be a reliable squad player who can step in and do a job when called upon.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:08 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:Fair to say Spice and Boysie are representing the extreme ends of opinion regarding Hendrick's ability. The truth he's not as awful as Boysie thinks and not as good as Spice thinks he is.

He's a bang average footballer who's handy to have around but is probably quite easy to replace. The contract extension is barely newsworthy.
I'm not sure I've got an extreme opinion of him at all. I've never suggested he's a worldbeater, just that he's never been anything like as bad as many of his detractors suggest - and that he was an important part of our success last season (I note someone is now conveniently pointing out his win ratio this calendar year, so presumably is willing to give him just as much credit for the success we had in the first half of the 2017/18 season - clearly he's neither as good or as bad as either set of stats would suggest). I've never suggested he doesn't have shortcomings and there's no doubt he's been less consistent recently than he was in his first 18 months with us (perhaps due to confidence).

He's an adequate Premier League football who has the potential - potential - to be a bit better than that. Much like Westwood, much like many of our players.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Two:

Im only as negative as the club have been since the summer

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:39 pm

claretspice wrote:Brilliant news.

Key player for us, and it's a massive boost to get the contract distraction dealt with so that he and the club can focus on the task of pulling ourselves clear of the drop zone.

There's a lot of chat about getting ourselves an athletic, ball winning midfielder and I remember a thread last week commenting we could do with unearthing someone like Doucoure. Jeff has the attributes to be exactly that sort of player and it's pretty unlikely we'll be able to sign anyone with those sorts of attributes who is as ready-made for the Premier League as Jeff is.

So he's not like a new signing, but he's definitely a player from whom we can get a hell of a lot more now he's tied down. I'd love him to sign a longer term deal but we can all worry about that in the summer when we know what division we're going to be in.
Spot on, saved me some typing. Although I would like to add that I also appreciate his character and commitment. When he has played this season he has always given us 100% and even when others looked to be lacking some fighting spirit he never did.

Really happy to hear that his contract with us has been extended. Well done Jeff and well done the club, onwards and upwards. I'm classing this as an early Christmas present. Hopefully, we can wrap up the negotiations for a new contract next year.

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Thought he had his best performance of the season today. I sit in the JHU, what are the lyrics to the Hendrick song. Sounded good but couldn't figure out quite what the words were.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Had an ok game, but not excellent.
Although playing out of position isn't easy.

Song is

Woah woah woah Jeff Hendrick
You knowwwww
Better than Cristianooo

Repeat.

Not very good if you ask me for our most consistent player.

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Cheers, didn't know there was two knocking about. It was the Oasis based one.