Sky loading the Dyche again

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Sky loading the Dyche again

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Impartial match commentator mentioning that “WE” ( Arsenal) have not had 3 back-to-back defeats for a long time. An unfortunate slip of the tongue. Match summariser Alan Smith (Mr Arsenal) agreeing with him.Two ex-Arsenal players in the studio and a heavy focus on Burnley’s aggressive tactics throughout.

Ashley Barnes singled out and called up for an interview, Dyche questioned about his tactics. Only Jamie Rednapp gave us any credit and interestingly the unanimous verdict in the studio is that 1. Their third goal was off-side 2. We should have had a pen. 3. The bookings were inconsistent and should have be equal - with a possible Arsenal sending off.

I have no doubt that if the result had been different ( God forbid a Burnley win) the studio panel would have had a different view.

Never mind Sky got the result that they clearly wanted.
These 6 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 MT03ALG JimmyRobbo Dark Cloud Wexford_Claret levraiclaret

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Re: Sky loading the Dyche again

Post by Aclaret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:39 pm

I don't know why it is but every time we play Arsenal the world seems to be against us.
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland whiffa

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Yes hard to bear today, if Jamie Redknapp is the referee we draw 2-2. Dyche justifiably unhappy but it happens most weeks now. How the penalty not given I don't know and Arsenal diving/cheating was there for all to see.
These 6 users liked this post: Belgianclaret MT03ALG SussexDon1inIreland JimmyRobbo Wexford_Claret Bosscat

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:46 pm

On the penalty (and it was one) KL far to exaggerated fall. Same with Cork on the 3rd goal, should have gone down in that tangle of legs.
This user liked this post: JimmyRobbo

NL Claret
Been Liked: 520 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Sky commentators and the bloke in the studio laboured the point about how physical Burnley were.

We were, Arsenal player reaction and Kevin Friend made us look more physical than we actually were. No consistency whatsoever, the slightest of contact outside the box are Arsenal free kicks yet ignored when more contact in the box at our end.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Looked like Ewobi was level to me and if that had been given as a penalty the other way (which it probably would have been) then we would have been crying blue murder.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm

They try to make being Physical into a bad thing, it isn’t, it’s part of football and adds to the entertainment.

One day they’ll realise that the majority of their subscribers support teams outside the top 6
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Bosscat

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:10 pm

There was no consistency in any of Friends decisions. He clearly had a down on Ash Barnes from the first challenge and at our first corner he singled out Tarks and Wood for a dressing down when there was nothing going on.
A shocking performance but the FA will be thrilled with him, he’ll get the cup final.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:19 pm

kaptin1 wrote:Looked like Ewobi was level to me and if that had been given as a penalty the other way (which it probably would have been) then we would have been crying blue murder.
Iwobi was offside - it was very hard to see but sky proved on the replay that 100% it was off.
It was a clear as day penalty - the only reason we would be “crying blue murder” (it’s screaming btw !) is for the stupid push from our defender.

I thought sky were an absolute disgrace today in so many aspects - with the exception of Redknapp. The token woman who speaks too fast yet is now on every programme said it was not a penalty - funny with her being an Arsenal fan. Even Sagna after 15 minutes of mumbled unintelligible nonsense eventually admitted it was a penalty.
Alan Smith who is usually pretty fair was really poor today.
And to top it all off the interviews with Barnes and Dyche were pathetic attempts at trying to get us to say something controversial....especially the Barnes one.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:20 pm

piston broke wrote:There was no consistency in any of Friends decisions. He clearly had a down on Ash Barnes from the first challenge and at our first corner he singled out Tarks and Wood for a dressing down when there was nothing going on.
A shocking performance but the FA will be thrilled with him, he’ll get the cup final.
The Tarks one at the start of the game made me laugh. He had literally just got there after running up from the back - you could see the look on his face of utter incredulity that he was being spoken to - "but I just got here!"
These 3 users liked this post: Goodclaret FactualFrank Bosscat

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Sky's interviewing of their two players after the game was all driven about Burnleys "physical" side. I'm sorry but are we not allowed to tackle these soft sh1ts? The amount of diving from Arsenal is embarrassing - although they don't give a cr4p. VAR is going to be absolutely crushing for the luvvies from North London.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 520 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Foulthrow wrote:The Tarks one at the start of the game made me laugh. He had literally just got there after running up from the back - you could see the look on his face of utter incredulity that he was being spoken to - "but I just got here!"
The Arsenal player (the one with a lot of hair) who was doing all the pushing wasn't even spoken too, mind you that became a common theme for the afternoon.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:36 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:Impartial match commentator mentioning that “WE” ( Arsenal) have not had 3 back-to-back defeats for a long time. An unfortunate slip of the tongue. Match summariser Alan Smith (Mr Arsenal) agreeing with him.Two ex-Arsenal players in the studio and a heavy focus on Burnley’s aggressive tactics throughout.

Ashley Barnes singled out and called up for an interview, Dyche questioned about his tactics. Only Jamie Rednapp gave us any credit and interestingly the unanimous verdict in the studio is that 1. Their third goal was off-side 2. We should have had a pen. 3. The bookings were inconsistent and should have be equal - with a possible Arsenal sending off.

I have no doubt that if the result had been different ( God forbid a Burnley win) the studio panel would have had a different view.

Never mind Sky got the result that they clearly wanted.
Why would anyone think anything different from a Murdoch outfit.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:37 pm

If you really want to wind yourself up you should read the comments on the Guardian match report, here is my favourite:

"Burnley's game "style" is yet another symptom, as is racism and xenophobia in the stands."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... t#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:42 pm

It's all bias based on lack of knowledge.

If they knew what they were talking about, they would know that under Dyche, Burnley have finished top or top two for fair play every season, no matter which league we were in.
They would also know that Arsenal finish most seasons with more red cards than any other team in the league.

Hey, why let facts get in the way of a good news item, after all they're only slagging off little old Burnley. Who gives a damn but us.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:50 pm

That Guardian comments thread is hilarious ! THEY really don’t like us , just the way it should be precious offended London luvvies calling us every name under the sun

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:34 pm

No matter what we all think, I am afraid that the game is changing beyond all recognition in FIFA's endeavours to get rid of all physical contact.
Someone mentioned above that we have finished at the top or near the top of the fair play league in past seasons, however, look at the number of bookings we have received this season so far. Jack Cork has had a few bookings for putting a hand on the opposition and yet you see lots of other games where this happens and a free kick is given but no caution. Ashley Westwood was cautioned today because he tried to head a ball that the Arsenal player had not intention of going for ---watching the Cardiff v Man Utd game a Cardiff player did the same, the UNited player made a back and the free kick was rightly given to the Cardiff player.
Ben Mee was cautioned for a tackle which was an attmept to win the ball, yes, it was a foul, however, he received a caution. Chris Wood, with the ball coming over his shoulder made an attempt to get a toe to the ball but the keeper had come out of the area to head the ball, however, Chris made contact with him and received a caution ---for what? These were just today, however, there have been several instances this season when I have really wondered about some of the cautions dished out to us and not to others.

It is interesting that many think that VAR will sort things out, however, it is going to be used selectively so only a few things will be affected.
The game will be sanitised beyond recognition to many older fans if it continues to regress in the manner it is.
Very sad state of affairs and not being hleped at all by all the media rubbish spouted.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:47 pm

I thought Wood's card was the worst of the questionable cautions. How Barnes was the only player booked following that ruckus was also mysterious. The worst tackle of the game, in terms of intent/lack of attempt to play the ball was their sub on Hendrick, which as far as I recall went unpunished.

However I remain hugely sceptical that VAR will be used as anything other than yet another tool to maintain the status quo. If there's any danger that it gives the lesser lights of the PL some glimmer of parity it will soon be discredited in the mainstream media.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 727 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:16 pm

This guy is an Arsenal journo. Check out his twitter rants and the sycophantic followers he has. This is what we are up against.

https://twitter.com/charles_watts/statu ... 6965899264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:44 pm

I listened to the game on R5 and can't remember the commentators name (a Scot) I think, normally he's VG but his pre-match view of Burnley's form and prospects were so off the mark and not up to date with their recent very much improved performances, I could not believe.
Last edited by South West Claret. on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsr
Been Liked: 4570 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Sending a off in the last 5 years:. Burnley 4, Arsenal 11.

Stproc
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 pm

It’s just pure institutionalised bias. The FA, players, commentators. The lot of em.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:02 am

I watched the second half in a pub today with no sound. What I saw was a pretty feisty game by modern standards, but with Arsenal just as willing to get involved as we were. I’m therefore surprised at some of the comment on here.

To me, it shows how easy it is for the “big” clubs to set the media agenda. So Klopp says “Burnley are too physical” and then when we’re next on telly, all the pundits are looking for evidence of us being too physical, and they highlight that regardless of whether, as today, it was six and half a dozen. The label sticks now, and the agenda will intensify against us, and other “Burnley-like” teams, until we’re not able to tackle any more.
These 3 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Ashingtonclaret46 Goodclaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5643 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:50 am

scouseclaret wrote:What I saw was a pretty feisty game by modern standards,
and therein lies the problem. Our style of football wouldn't be welcome in any top league on the planet, football has moved on (thank god) from Dyche's favourite manager Howard Wilkinson. I've nothing against teams tackling, putting a shift in and fighting for the scraps but our quality on the ball is embarrassing at this level
This user liked this post: djt2006

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:42 am

I think we'd all agree that we'd like to see more quality on the ball.

However without SD's pragmatic approach there would have been no PL football in the first place and no survival when we were really up against it.

We should be able to introduce more quality but however cash-rich we get there are always going to be 15+ more attractive PL clubs than us, when we're looking to improve, even if we continue to survive.

We have to retain a core element of what we're best at if we want to stay in this division - but I'd agree it's never going to make us widely popular or comply with the current perception of what PL football is supposed to be.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:26 am

Vegas Claret wrote: Dyche's favourite manager Howard Wilkinson
You just made that up didn’t you?

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:29 am

And still people rant on about our lack of quality on the ball . Yes it’s 100% true but it’s because we’re SH1T by prem standards ( quality wise)

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:56 am

Vegas Claret wrote:and therein lies the problem. Our style of football wouldn't be welcome in any top league on the planet, football has moved on (thank god) from Dyche's favourite manager Howard Wilkinson. I've nothing against teams tackling, putting a shift in and fighting for the scraps but our quality on the ball is embarrassing at this level
you are talking utter sh-ite

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:03 am

Vegas Claret wrote:and therein lies the problem. Our style of football wouldn't be welcome in any top league on the planet, football has moved on (thank god) from Dyche's favourite manager Howard Wilkinson. I've nothing against teams tackling, putting a shift in and fighting for the scraps but our quality on the ball is embarrassing at this level
You clearly do have something against Dyche and the team and are easily embarrassed.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:06 am

Nah. There was nothing wrong with our style of play yesterday. The most physical player on the pitch was Sokratis, and I suspect both he and Barnes enjoyed their tussle immensely. We used the ball well yesterday, our pass completion rate was pretty decent and generally we were good from tee-to-green. What we lacked was a bit of composure and quality in the final third, but in fairness the two players most likely to offer that are Brady and JBG and they were on the treatment table.

Barnes will always be the pantomime villain on these occasions for a broadcaster like Sky who need an angle. He plays on the edge and he got involved in plenty of skirmishes today - Friend didn't referee the game particularly consistently but if he'd really had it in for Burnley he had at least two opportunities to give Barnes a second yellow. I'm not saying he'd have been correct - he wouldn't - but Barnes needs to make sure he steers clear of giving refs the chance.

But - the most dangerous thing on the pitch today was the way Arsenal competed (or didn't) for the ball in the air. Years ago, making a back would have been recognised as a clear free kick to Burnley. It's incredibly dangerous, because if the player who does jump normally goes over the player making a back, he can land on his back with really serious consequences. In rugby, it's about the most serious offence in the game. Arsenal clearly couldn't compete with Burnley in the air, so they resorted to making a back as a matter of course to either put off the Burnley player who was airborne, or to try and feign that they were being held down. Friend bought this more often than not (an occasion when Westwood was penalised just before half time right in front of the dug-outs being a case in point), and it's something that has crept into the game, but I think it needs to clamped down upon.
These 4 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 levraiclaret Foulthrow Colburn_Claret

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:18 am

Football has moved on and is nowhere near the game that it was. Modern fans are unhappy if every tackle isn't rewarded with a card of some sort and, in reality, have no real idea of The Laws of the Game and their interpretation because all they do is listen to pundits who are all part of the media agenda to completely sanitise a game so that tackles will not be allowed.
Nobody seems to know what constitutes the award of a penalty, what is deliberate handball, how do you really interpret the Offside Law, what is and isn't a cautionalble offence, what constitutes a propertackle, what is and isn't considered reckless, dangerous to an opponent, out of control etc., etc. ad nauseam.
Football has certainly moved on ----at the highest level it is in a rapid rate of regression, however, it is what the authorities, media and modern fans want and you are welcome to it.
This user liked this post: oswyclaret

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:27 am

claretspice wrote: The most physical player on the pitch was Sokratis,
Agree, but if the little number 11 had been on longer it would have been close.

HollandsPies
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by HollandsPies » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:34 am

Alan Smith shouldn't be allowed to commentate on Arsenal. I very rarely shout at the telly, but when he said Ashley Barnes stamped on the chest of that git with the frizzy hair really annoyed me. It simply did not happen the knob.

Can't say his 'R's either.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:19 am

I agree with 'spice about backing in - making a back as he calls it. There's nothing new in this and it's always been a difficult one to call. The clue is usually in whether a player is looking at the ball or his opponent. In the case of Westwood he was looking at Xhaka and I therefore think he committed a foul. If he had no intention of getting the ball, which I don't think he did, it may be worthy of a yellow card. This would seem to be Friend's view.

I didn't see the elbow on Barnes (as I assume Friend didn't) although I saw Barnes complain about it. But he's Barnes! The 'wrestling' with Sokratis was entirely down to Barnes. He's an idiot and we and referees know it. A correct yellow. Sokratis was later correctly booked for pulling Barnes back. I'm sure I wasn't the only Burnley fan to pray that Barnes would control himself, which after his yellow he generally did.

Kolasinac is a good physical player but he went too far when he pushed Cork over as Cork was getting away. It was so blatant I don't know why it was not penalised.

The offsides were unfortunate, but what's new.

There were of course other incidents but generally we lost because we are nowhere near the level of Arsenal - the better team won.

On physicality, a lot has changed in football in this country over the last forty years which has led to the type of game we have now. Pitches are much higher quality. Balls seem to be faster, as are football boots. The science of fitness has developed. Players have become super athletes and therefore more highly tuned; and delicate.

This has allowed skill and speed, of thought and play, to jump to a much higher level. As such contact between players has become more dangerous. That is why the physical play of old is frowned on. Do we want to see the likes of Lincoln's Matt Rhead dominate football, or do you prefer Kevin de Bruyne? There's no room for both.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:51 am

Nice comparison there, Hipper, one of the best players in the PL, who made his professional debut at the age of 17 or a lad who made his first professional appearance at the age of 27 having plied his trade in non-league football.

It would appear that what you are trying to say is that Rhead should not be playing football whilst everyone should be like Kevin de Bruyne.
Sadly, not everyone plays in the PL. There is a lot of football played outside of the PL and most of it is ignored by the media because it still allows players to get stuck in and play the game as it was intended.

There have always been skilful players as, in my young days, I watched the likes of Tom Finney, Stanley Matthews and our own Jummy Mac and they seemed to cope with players like Jimmy Scoular, Bill Slater, Ron Flowers et al. Continue through the years and there have been lots of skilful players who faced so-called 'hard men' and just got on with the game and thrilled us in the process, in fact, it was a much better game to watch because these lads could handle themselves and take the mickey out of some of the hard men.

The modern game at the top level is becoming too sterilised and, with physicality removed, will not be worth watching. however, it would fit in well with our modern, politically correct society.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:49 pm

We are talking Premier League. Rhead is a thug. The sort that used to play at the top level but are now almost excluded, and a good thing too. I don't want to go back to the days when the likes of Pele are kicked out of football.

I've watched a reasonable amount of level 7 (step 3) football this season, and it is also devoid of thuggery. Indeed I've been very impressed with the quality of play, and refereeing. And referees at this level also seem less tolerant of dangerous play.

We'll have to disagree on the type of football we like to watch. It could be because I'm only an armchair viewer of the Premier League, but City, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, and sometimes Arsenal, have played some stunning football at times, really enjoyable. Many other Premier League teams can occasionally do the same. Unfortunately from what I've seen this season, we cannot. I do not like watching us at all. Unfortunately I have to!

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:06 pm

HollandsPies wrote:Alan Smith shouldn't be allowed to commentate on Arsenal. I very rarely shout at the telly, but when he said Ashley Barnes stamped on the chest of that git with the frizzy hair really annoyed me. It simply did not happen the knob.

If the ref from his viewing angle had seen that as a stamp i could understand,and it would have merited a straight red in that case,thankfully he didn't or wasn't certain enough,but for the pundits with the benefit of replays to still maintain this stance is ridiculous.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:45 pm

scouseclaret wrote:You just made that up didn’t you?
no, go and listen to his interviews

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:47 pm

taio wrote:You clearly do have something against Dyche and the team and are easily embarrassed.
how do you work that out ? It's an observation from watching loads of top flight football across Europe, our quality on the ball is nowhere near the standard required this season and our points tally would suggest it too

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:50 pm

TVC15 wrote:you are talking utter sh-ite
great intelligent counter argument

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Football has moved on and is nowhere near the game that it was. Modern fans are unhappy if every tackle isn't rewarded with a card of some sort and, in reality, have no real idea of The Laws of the Game and their interpretation because all they do is listen to pundits who are all part of the media agenda to completely sanitise a game so that tackles will not be allowed.
Nobody seems to know what constitutes the award of a penalty, what is deliberate handball, how do you really interpret the Offside Law, what is and isn't a cautionalble offence, what constitutes a propertackle, what is and isn't considered reckless, dangerous to an opponent, out of control etc., etc. ad nauseam.
Football has certainly moved on ----at the highest level it is in a rapid rate of regression, however, it is what the authorities, media and modern fans want and you are welcome to it.
Won't disagree with any of that, but little old Burnley aren't going to change it, so it's a catch up or leave scenario.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:57 pm

With regards to handballs, penalties etc. VAR will still leave much open to debate.

What is handball, for example?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:01 pm

Goals on Sunday didn't even show the penalty appeal, or the potential offside for the 3rd. They didn't even discuss any of the incidents in the analysis at the end, never mind show any replays.

Think they are getting bored with our approach to games, football style and SD post match interviews now.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Spijed wrote:With regards to handballs, penalties etc. VAR will still leave much open to debate.

What is handball, for example?
did you see the Juve game yesterday ? Juve score a second goal, game is just about to kick off and the VAR tells the ref to look at the tv as there was a foul in the build up about 15-20 seconds before the goal. Now, the ref took a little too long to decide as the foul was clear but eventually the goal was ruled out.Maybe if VAR was in place already we would have had plenty of pens

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:09 pm

MACCA wrote:Goals on Sunday didn't even show the penalty appeal, or the potential offside for the 3rd. They didn't even discuss any of the incidents in the analysis at the end, never mind show any replays.

Think they are getting bored with our approach to games, football style and SD post match interviews now.
Thought our approach yesterday was pretty good though.

As for being bored, perhaps the fact that we aren't that newsworthy anymore (4 out of last 5 seasons in the Prem).

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1694 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Won't disagree with any of that, but little old Burnley aren't going to change it, so it's a catch up or leave scenario.
Perhaps it's time for a 66 year old like me to 'leave' then. I think I've seen everything there is to see in football during the last 60 years but what I'm witnessing now is so alien to what I was brought up on. A neatly packaged bundle,no rough edges and most definitely no physical contact, very much like one of those warm up routines you might see before kick off. They look good fun, though so the media would certainly be in favour with the sycophantic Martin Tyler still around on his 100th birthday to talk about it with Gary.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 South West Claret.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Perhaps it's time for a 66 year old like me to 'leave' then. I think I've seen everything there is to see in football during the last 60 years but what I'm witnessing now is so alien to what I was brought up on. A neatly packaged bundle,no rough edges and most definitely no physical contact, very much like one of those warm up routines you might see before kick off. They look good fun, though so the media would certainly be in favour with the sycophantic Martin Tyler still around on his 100th birthday to talk about it with Gary.
Same here, Silky, the whole thing leaves me cold.
My only interest is in there always being a Burnley Football Club.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Perhaps it's time for a 66 year old like me to 'leave' then. I think I've seen everything there is to see in football during the last 60 years but what I'm witnessing now is so alien to what I was brought up on. A neatly packaged bundle,no rough edges and most definitely no physical contact, very much like one of those warm up routines you might see before kick off. They look good fun, though so the media would certainly be in favour with the sycophantic Martin Tyler still around on his 100th birthday to talk about it with Gary.
agree with that too, I've been watching a few non league games and have enjoyed them much more than any of our games this year. The PL is a product not a sporting division.
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:26 pm

HollandsPies wrote:Alan Smith shouldn't be allowed to commentate on Arsenal. I very rarely shout at the telly, but when he said Ashley Barnes stamped on the chest of that git with the frizzy hair really annoyed me. It simply did not happen the knob.

He's a grade A prick.

The most annoying thing was that wasn't a foul. Zero, and I mean zero contact and he fell over and handballed it. Then Barnes clearly tries to get the ball and despite the various replays showing it, Alan Smith just goes on about Barnes kicking him in the chest.

I hate the ****.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:01 am

Spijed wrote:Thought our approach yesterday was pretty good though.

As for being bored, perhaps the fact that we aren't that newsworthy anymore (4 out of last 5 seasons in the Prem).
I agree, however Sky want entertainment, they want games like Everton v Spurs, rather than Spurs v Burnley.

They bill it as the best league in the world, fast paced and full of entertainment.
We either need to be their farytale team that's beaten all the odds or a rollover team that gets spanked.

We can't just be the battlers trying to do things right, just doing enough, with our low gates and old fashioned ground, it gets in the way of the perception of what they want to sell the big shiney premier league as.