HOW GOOD IS THE PL RIGHT NOW ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

HOW GOOD IS THE PL RIGHT NOW ?

Post by warksclaret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:58 am

Just how good has the PL got. We witnessed the demolition of Cardiff and Everton over the weekend -lets face it both sides had been performing pretty well recently. But how good were Man u and Spurs. Could anyone have predicted Spurs scoring 6 at the point where Everton seemed to have a good second goal disallowed, which would have made it 2-0. TRHen of course you have Man City and Liverpool capable of matching that style of play

The coaching seems to have moved on a million years and the ability of midfielders and full backs to get into scoring positions is there for all to see
These 2 users liked this post: Vintage Claret Vintage Claret

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Re: HOW GOOD IS THE PL RIGHT NOW ?

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:31 am

I can think of one or two teams where the coaching hasnt moved on a million years...

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 am

The PL has turned into a Green Eyed Monster.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:43 am

The PL is dog poo, it is changing the way football is played and officiated week by week, eroding the game into a non contact sport where diving, simulating and cheating is rewarded and goes unpunished for the mighty teams. Merry bloody Christmas, the bed had only two sides I could have got out of and I picked ......... ;)
These 8 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Ashingtonclaret46 Siddo sanderson370 boatshed bill timshorts Wo Didi longsidepies

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:05 am

warksclaret wrote:Just how good has the PL got. We witnessed the demolition of Cardiff and Everton over the weekend -lets face it both sides had been performing pretty well recently. But how good were Man u and Spurs. Could anyone have predicted Spurs scoring 6 at the point where Everton seemed to have a good second goal disallowed, which would have made it 2-0. TRHen of course you have Man City and Liverpool capable of matching that style of play

The coaching seems to have moved on a million years and the ability of midfielders and full backs to get into scoring positions is there for all to see
You seem obssed with this idea that the Premier league has somehow advanced far quicker this season than it has ever before.

In 2009 Arsenal went to Goodison and beat Everton 6-1.

Why is the Spurs result any different?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:06 am

randomclaret2 wrote:I can think of one or two teams where the coaching hasnt moved on a million years...
Give it rest.

Like a few on here you've NEVER had anything positive to say about BFC.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:17 am

Everton are a lower mid table team.In the past fuelled with Littlewoods millions they spent their way to the top
Those days are long gone and the moneyed teams are wrecking football.Chelsea have 40 players out on loan all costing millions.Donkey Abraham is on loan on £55,000 a week.Villa are betting the money they dont have on a return to the top table.
Now I seen shite at the Turf and watched Burnley for over 50yrs.I know we will stay up but I doubt we will reach the dizzy heights of seventh.Would I prefer us down again and an exciting beating all comers promotion season.A tough call that I cant answer UTC

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:18 am

It depends how you measure it.

The quality is miles better. The teams now fighting for 7th place would have been fighting for top 4 , only 5 years ago. The problem is the top 6 have moved on as well.

We've moved on a long way as well, but not as fast as some of those we are competing against, but those things fluctuate anyway, by next year it might be our turn again.

In terms of excitement, this is the first year in a long while that there has been genuine competition, at both ends if the table. In that sense it has to be very good.
These 2 users liked this post: Spijed MrTopTier

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:35 am

If you want to watch sanitised football with good tackles penalised and players cautioned because they have been brave enough to tackle, lots of simulation going unpunished, TLOG being infringed regularly but being ignored by officials if they have to penalise a fashionable club (Arsenal and Spurs both benefitted this weekend), listen to pundits extolling the virtues of some clubs in a totally nauseating manner etc., etc. then the PL is the place for you and it will continue to be so!! However, if you want to watch proper football with tackles, physical contact being allowed, playres giving it 100% for their team etc. than go and watch League One or lower, it is still very enjoyable even if the skill factor is not as good.
This user liked this post: Erasmus

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:42 am

There are always some strange results over the Christmas period, yesterday being a fine example.
City and Chelsea both lost on a Saturday, the first time that has happened in ten years.
In Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino you have three of the most respected coaches in the world game, Sarri and Emery have won trophies in Spain and Italy.
Ranieri and Pelligrin both won the Premier League. Rafa Benitez won the Champions league
Marco Silva, Javia Garcia, Nuno Espiro Santo, Claude Puel and Ralph Hasenhuttl provide further continental flair.
Then there is old school, Roy Hodgson and Warnock versus new school Eddie Howe.
There's Manchester Utd in meltdown under Mourinho, contrasted with the calm steady as you go style of Chris Hughton.
Then we have Burnley and Huddersfield, two town teams battling away, against the might and budgets of the Giants in the Premier League.
As a spectacle it is great although there are many downsides, see the number of threads this weekend about cheating, diving and referees and the money is just obscene, I for one hope we can stay in it for a lot longer.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:51 am

I agree with the opening poster.

However I do think the Premier League/Fifa need to tackle the issue of time wasting to make the product more exciting and flowing. Maybe fines for teams that do the most time wasting, timers used to time how long it takes players to take throw in's and free kicks, how long it takes goalkeepers to take goal kicks etc, those exceeding a set time limit given a yellow card and free kicks/ throw in's given to the opposition. At the moment we have a unsatisfactory situation where different referees have different limits and different interpretations of the rules regarding time wasting.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:54 am

Hi Spijed

Not obsessed but I believe it has moved forward. Reading Colburns post he thinks in the same way as me. I believe I am not on my own on this. I only have to watch players like Van Dyke, Salah, Sterling,and many others every game for it to hit home, and I don't think it will stop where it is

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 am

warksclaret wrote:Hi Spijed

Not obsessed but I believe it has moved forward. Reading Colburns post he thinks in the same way as me. I believe I am not on my own on this. I only have to watch players like Van Dyke, Salah, Sterling,and many others every game for it to hit home, and I don't think it will stop where it is
But it's not moved on from last season any quicker though. That's your point.

We were as close to the top six as the likes of Everton, Leicester etc. will be this season.

At exactly the same rate.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:04 am

Spijed wrote:But it's not moved on from last season any quicker though. That's your point.

We were as closed to the top six as the likes of Everton, Leicester etc. will be this season.

At exactly the same rate.
The fact that Liverpool and Spurs are matching the team lauded as being the best this country has seen suggests that the league has moved on a lot since last season. And if you compare that to Leicester's title-winning season the difference in quality is vast.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:14 am

Rileybobs wrote:The fact that Liverpool and Spurs are matching the team lauded as being the best this country has seen suggests that the league has moved on a lot since last season. And if you compare that to Leicester's title-winning season the difference in quality is vast.
The fact that Liverpool and Spurs are closer to City is also partly due to the fact there is a bit of a drop off in City's performances compared to last season as well.

Man City won't get 100 points this season, guaranteed.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:20 am

City should get close to 100 points. If they don't that's because some of the other teams have clearly improved. They've scored 50 goals themselves already this season.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:29 am

At the same stage last season man City had 52 points, compared to 44 this time.

There was likely to be a drop-off in their performances compared to last years matches.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:31 am

warksclaret wrote:Hi Spijed

btw, if teams have moved on, how have Spurs managed to do so without signing any players?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:34 am

Spijed wrote:btw, if teams have moved on, how have Spurs managed to do so without signing any players?
Coaching.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:37 am

Rileybobs wrote:Coaching.
I can understand if teams make a couple of brilliant signings that make a big difference.

But to make such a leap in coaching - in one season, with basically the same backroom staff?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:37 am

Spijed wrote:btw, if teams have moved on, how have Spurs managed to do so without signing any players?
They are playing better

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 am

You make an awful lot of assumptions Spijed...

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:39 am

Spijed wrote:I can understand if teams make a couple of brilliant signings that make a big difference.

But to make such a leap in coaching - in one season, with basically the same backroom staff?
How else would you account for their upturn in performance? Their attacking display yesterday was as good as anything I’ve seen in this division, the way their forwards linked up was a joy to watch.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:47 am

Rileybobs wrote:How else would you account for their upturn in performance? Their attacking display yesterday was as good as anything I’ve seen in this division, the way their forwards linked up was a joy to watch.
Confidence probably. In the same way Man U. suddenly put five past Cardiff after they sacked Jose.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:53 am

Spijed wrote:Confidence probably. In the same way Man U. suddenly put five past Cardiff after they sacked Jose.
So you don’t think Pochettino, Klopp etc. are making significant progress with their squads through their coaching? Strange. Why do you think Pochettino, for example, is so desired by the world’s biggest clubs?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Rileybobs wrote:So you don’t think Pochettino, Klopp etc. are making significant progress with their squads through their coaching? Strange. Why do you think Pochettino, for example, is so desired by the world’s biggest clubs?
But it seems odd there should be a significant jump in progress (coaching) between last season and this. If teams can make such a jump in coaching why isn't Guardiola doing the same as he's regarded as being a manager who has revolutionised football and continues to do so?

It seems you are only able to point to Liverpool & Spurs making great strides.

Man U have gone backwards and Chelsea and Arsenal are similar to last season. Win most games, but then lose a few.

And as for the rest, are Everton far better than last season under Big Sam?

Leicester look hit and miss.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:43 pm

The PL is the best it’s ever been top to bottom.

Only reason people question it is because the top teams have improved at a faster rate than the mid-table and lower ones.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:53 pm

The PL, is now a league is being dominated by the big clubs, no one else has a cat in hells chance of a trophy, a champions league place or anything else apart from a slender chance of a European slot for 7th place, the also rans in mid table, and the relegation scrappers trying to survive another season, it still provides us with entertainment but for how much longer? I love seeing the Clarets playing in this illustrious company and would love to see us survive for seasons to come, but it is getting tougher, so HOW GOOD IS THE PL NOW? Bloody good i say.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:06 pm

In the case of Spurs, some of their players have progressed - Trippier, Sissoko for example - and some younger players have developed - Winks, Lamela. They've also suffered key injuries though - Dembele, Wanyama and some defenders. I thought last season they didn't progress from the promise of the previous year but this year they have sometimes looked really impressive - the win at Chelsea for example.

There's some good football played by the top sides, but also Watford, Bournemouth and Wolves, early in the season, also played some good stuff.

What I don't like is that there are divisions within the division and the gaps are so great that when playing a top six team it's a case of damage limitation. I prefer more competitiveness throughout the division, and that is never going to happen because the very formation of The Premier League was for and about the elite clubs. If those clubs were magically moved out of the division more matches would be really interesting. Unfortunately with those clubs goes the TV money.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Spijed-I was talking to some Spurs fans last week. They say Lukas Moura and Sissoka have been a revelation this year-they did not feature last season to any extent

As has been said on posts their coaching must be good as his their management of the team. Som is now an awesome player too and the manager is getting the best out of him. Trippier since the World Cup has become one of the most revered right backs in the PL. We are not saying you have to buy a lot of players to progress but the "overall mix" has to be right. Look at Fulham.
A few years ago Klopp, Guardiola and Pocchetino were plying their trade abroad. Our answer to this was Sir Alex (no need to prove himself), Wenger and Brendan Rogers (and oh) the special one

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:17 pm

I think that the quality of football is excellent but unfortunately the quality of the officials has not kept up and is downright poor. VAR cannot come soon enough to expose some of these incompetent buffoons that we witness week in week out. I bet you though that the bigger teams will somehow still get the Lions share of the decisions :(

I predict that within three years a European Super league will be formed and all the big six will sod off and leave a really competitive PL behind ;)

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:55 pm

I seem to remember a certain Bob Lord predicting a European League would happen in the future and that was over 50 years ago. ;)

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:22 pm

You'd never know there were 20 clubs in the PL. It is hyped beyond it's value. Decisions and media attention are geared towards the top clubs beyond belief. Will VAR make any difference? No chance as the ref will always have the final say. The Palace result was a complete 'freak' and I can't see it being replicated again this season given the way the dice are currently loaded. If you kill competition you kill the league and sadly for me that's the way its going.
These 3 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 longsidepies Sonic

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:30 pm

The Premier League is the most entertaining of the major European leagues, but not as entertaining as the Championship or League One. The Champions League is the most boring of all.
This user liked this post: BennyD

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:29 pm

I dont think fans analyse the calibre of the premier league unless they're in it. I remember the ecstasy of wembley 2009 at the final whistle, I certainly didnt feel hostility about where we were heading. 10 years on and not a lot has changed . Essentially super rich clubs hoover up all the best players and pay them a kings ransom. These are the clubs the media fall over themselves to highlight.
The lesser lights are often secure enough, but stand little or no chance of winning this league. Then there's the scrapping teams like us, we have to fight for everything every week. Despised by the media in the main, like bothersome flies.
I think teams like Burnley are here on merit, our achievements outweigh those of the so called big boys.
The coverage is lame though, shoddy journalism and **** poor tv punditry, that's a shame because they are responsible for creating an image of the game, and they are rank amateurs.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Shite league, top 6 are way ahead and that will get worse. Sooner they all leave and join a super league the better.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:04 pm

I agree the standard is amazing and keeps getting better. Burnley are right not to gamble on being part of it. Look at Bolton, Blackburn.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:09 pm

It's boring

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:31 pm

LS7 wrote:I agree the standard is amazing and keeps getting better. Burnley are right not to gamble on being part of it. Look at Bolton, Blackburn.
Yes because not being part of it as really helped with their finances?

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:20 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:Everton are a lower mid table team.In the past fuelled with Littlewoods millions they spent their way to the top
Those days are long gone and the moneyed teams are wrecking football.Chelsea have 40 players out on loan all costing millions.Donkey Abraham is on loan on £55,000 a week.Villa are betting the money they dont have on a return to the top table.
Now I seen shite at the Turf and watched Burnley for over 50yrs.I know we will stay up but I doubt we will reach the dizzy heights of seventh.Would I prefer us down again and an exciting beating all comers promotion season.A tough call that I cant answer UTC
You are doing Everton a bit of a disservice there.
The last good toffees side - the one that won two titles and were unable to play in Europe because of the behavior of the red half had a backbone that cost next to nothing. Southall, Stevens, ratcliffe, van den Hauwe, Reid, sheedy etc. The only ones that cost a bit that I can remember were sharp from Oldham, lineker from Leicester and of course Trevor Steven.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:55 am

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:Yes because not being part of it as really helped with their finances?
You completely missed the point...

Gambling the money away with no guarantees we stay up, or in the event of relegation bounce up quickly, was their point.

Plus we don't have a Walker, or Davies, type owner to cover all the losses.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:58 am

Rileybobs wrote:So you don’t think Pochettino, Klopp etc. are making significant progress with their squads through their coaching? Strange. Why do you think Pochettino, for example, is so desired by the world’s biggest clubs?
It's a mixture of both isn't it?

Doesn't matter how good a coach is, or perceived to be, if the coach can't motivate the team they won't find that extra gear.
Jose failed to motivate a team that overall is good enough to push the likes of City and Spurs.
Pochettino is motivating his team to such an extent that they didn't buy anyone in the summer.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:02 am

Money obviously helps, but look at how much Pochettino has improved the likes of Kane, Alli and Trippier. He's even managed to turn Sissoko from a bit of a laughing stock to an absolute beast of a midfielder!
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:32 am

timshorts wrote:You are doing Everton a bit of a disservice there.
The last good toffees side - the one that won two titles and were unable to play in Europe because of the behavior of the red half had a backbone that cost next to nothing. Southall, Stevens, ratcliffe, van den Hauwe, Reid, sheedy etc. The only ones that cost a bit that I can remember were sharp from Oldham, lineker from Leicester and of course Trevor Steven.
Sharp went to Oldham after Everton. I have learned something today, he signed for Everton from Dumbarton, I didn't know that. Heath I might have cost a bit when they signed him from Stoke and Cottee from West Ham however I think that was after they won the title.

As for the comments about Bolton and them down the road and blowing the cash, I am glad we are not the basket case of a club like Bolton are. Hopefully the staff there could afford a Christmas meal while the chairman pays himself £500k pa and his son £125k pa.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:59 am

When you look at teams like Everton, they clearly haven't improved from last season with Silva having the same record so far as Big Sam. As for another side, Leicester, they seem to be going backwards under Puel, otherwise there wouldn't be talk of him being sacked.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Spijed wrote:When you look at teams like Everton, they clearly haven't improved from last season with Silva having the same record so far as Big Sam. As for another side, Leicester, they seem to be going backwards under Puel, otherwise there wouldn't be talk of him being sacked.
Everton haven't improved defensively they are still shipping goals,Silva seems to have a short-term impact,and then tail off.

It would be a brave call to sack Puel after winning at Stamford Bridge,though rumours abound that Jamie Vardy has the hump with the gaffer,so player power could be a factor again in a decent manager being axed.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:10 am

It’s cr4p. I’d much rather watch Championship football than the Prem. Consequently, I can see the positives of being in either league, so the possibility of relegation doesn’t cause me sleepless nights.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:25 am

This decade 4 teams have won the league and Liverpool or Spurs could make it 5 this year if one of them outdoes City
last decade only 3 teams manged to win the league
In the 90's 4 teams (including the b*stards freak win) won the league
In the 80's 4 teams won the league with 6 out of 10 being won by one club
Even In the 70's still only 5 teams won the league
From 75 to 85 Liverpool won 8 of 10 league Championships

The idea that having 6 teams all competing for the league title every year is an example of the league being a closed shop is ridiculous. Since the start of the 70's the only teams to win it who would have been outside the top 5 favourites are Derby, Forest, Villa, Leeds and Bastards and the fact that Leicester joined them in that list as recently as 2016 show that the reality is that when it comes to who wins the main prize not a lot has changed sine the minimum wage was scrapped in the 1960's

Yep it might be sh*t to be in a league you can never win but as we saw last year we have our own relative ceilings and expectations we can smash. Seeing us come 7th and qualify for Europe and then going to Athens is the proudest and most enjoyable experience I have had watching Burnley in 30+ years I have been following them and I bet my life it beats the experience of 90+% of the big 6's experiences of the last 5 years

Edit: For those thinking how much better it would be compared to our recent years in the Championship just consider how battling to survive in the Premier League compares to Stan's least season and the 19 game winless run under Cotterball as thats the standard of football we could be watching pretty quickly once we go down

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:40 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:This decade 4 teams have won the league and Liverpool or Spurs could make it 5 this year if one of them outdoes City
last decade only 3 teams manged to win the league
In the 90's 4 teams (including the b*stards freak win) won the league
In the 80's 4 teams won the league with 6 out of 10 being won by one club
Even In the 70's still only 5 teams won the league
From 75 to 85 Liverpool won 8 of 10 league Championships

The idea that having 6 teams all competing for the league title every year is an example of the league being a closed shop is ridiculous. Since the start of the 70's the only teams to win it who would have been outside the top 5 favourites are Derby, Forest, Villa, Leeds and Bastards and the fact that Leicester joined them in that list as recently as 2016 show that the reality is that when it comes to who wins the main prize not a lot has changed sine the minimum wage was scrapped in the 1960's

Yep it might be sh*t to be in a league you can never win but as we saw last year we have our own relative ceilings and expectations we can smash. Seeing us come 7th and qualify for Europe and then going to Athens is the proudest and most enjoyable experience I have had watching Burnley in 30+ years I have been following them and I bet my life it beats the experience of 90+% of the big 6's experiences of the last 5 years

Edit: For those thinking how much better it would be compared to our recent years in the Championship just consider how battling to survive in the Premier League compares to Stan's least season and the 19 game winless run under Cotterball as thats the standard of football we could be watching pretty quickly once we go down
Interesting stats

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:12 am

The PL as such is very good ( technically and the players on show) and id say ,very very slightly higher level than last yr,mainly due to the big money spent by rags like Fulham Wolves etc

As for the endless diving,cheating, flouncing and play acting and favouring of the big clubs its a hideous modern day corporate juggernaut that shows no signs of stopping .

It pains me to say it but VAR might just clean the game up a bit .