Brexit and Bene n hot,a game changer ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5083 times
Has Liked: 6895 times

Brexit and Bene n hot,a game changer ?

Post by bfcjg » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Bugger me I never thought of it when I cast my vote, I want to self govern, I want to be able to get shut of useless politicians after 5 years max and replace them with useless politicians of a different party, I want to have our elected leaders to allow people into our country on merit not because they are in a club but now I am worried that my pre match tipple might be under threat ! A people's vote for me. Buckfast n hot does not have the same ring, flavour and one could be mistaken for a down and out Glaswegian.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Brexit and Bene n hot,a game changer ?

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Brexit means Brexit

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5083 times
Has Liked: 6895 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:13 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Brexit means Brexit
Its bigger then that though. " Bene the Backstop, sod the Irish lot.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:20 pm

bfcjg wrote:Bugger me I never thought of it when I cast my vote, I want to self govern, I want to be able to get shut of useless politicians after 5 years max and replace them with useless politicians of a different party, I want to have our elected leaders to allow people into our country on merit not because they are in a club but now I am worried that my pre match tipple might be under threat ! A people's vote for me. Buckfast n hot does not have the same ring, flavour and one could be mistaken for a down and out Glaswegian.
You're right. This Burnley tradition which was only started by returning Burnley-based Eurocrats in the mid-1970s when we joined the EEC, will be under threat.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:33 am

It won't be under threat, just a lot more expensive.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:52 am

Pretty sure it will end Christmas too

turbo5
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by turbo5 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:01 am

Let us not forget, next year Santa won't be able to visit the UK when we take control of our borders. By the time Santa has filled in his visa application and had his pet passport refused it will be too late. I think the remainers have missed the opportunity to exploit this one in the project fear campaign.
These 4 users liked this post: bobinho The Enclosure ten bellies burnleymik

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3871 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:54 am

Don't worry they're planning on closing the Euro tunnel down for trains but letting people walk half way to which you will be met by Benedictine smugglers.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:44 pm

claretabroad wrote:It won't be under threat, just a lot more expensive.
Why? What's your rationale for that?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18275 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:17 pm

turbo5 wrote:Let us not forget, next year Santa won't be able to visit the UK when we take control of our borders. By the time Santa has filled in his visa application and had his pet passport refused it will be too late. I think the remainers have missed the opportunity to exploit this one in the project fear campaign.
The Queen has given Santa Diplomatic immunity :D
This user liked this post: turbo5

claretabroad

Post by claretabroad » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:26 pm

thatdberight wrote:Why? What's your rationale for that?
because any negotiated trade deal will have a tariff on alchohol higher than what we have now.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:30 pm

claretabroad wrote:because any negotiated trade deal will have a tariff on alchohol higher than what we have now.
Firstly, that's not true. The Canada - EU trade agreement, for example, has zero tariffs. Secondly, you said "a lot more" expensive.

I think you meant to answer my original question by saying you didn't know, there was no rationale and you were making it up but it was just made up to say Brexit was bad rather than intended as a factual contribution.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:38 pm

The UK is the biggest export market for Champagne, ( 31.2m Bottles in 2016 ) and between 25-30 % of all Prosecco is exported to the UK ( 112.7m Bottles ). Their industry representatives might well have something to say about a large ( 35% ) tariff being placed on their products, especially with similarly good quality wines coming from the " New World " and South American producers !

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Clarets4me wrote:The UK is the biggest export market for Champagne, ( 31.2m Bottles in 2016 ) and between 25-30 % of all Prosecco is exported to the UK ( 112.7m Bottles ). Their industry representatives might well have something to say about a large ( 35% ) tariff being placed on their products, especially with similarly good quality wines coming from the " New World " and South American producers !
Suppose it’ll depend on how our products are treated by them. What a load of pointless work though.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8737 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:45 pm

:o We'll never launch another ship again!

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6589 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:08 pm

No deal.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:27 pm

If you look at the difference in price between non-EU wine (eg. Australia, Chile, USA) and EU wine, then that'll be a guide to what'll happen to Benedictine. If non-EU wine is vastly more expensive (although part of the increase is because it's coming from further away), then Benedictine will presumably rise sharply. If, on the other hand, non-EU wine is scarcely different in price from EU wine, then perhaps the tariffs won't make much difference.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:52 am

dsr wrote:If you look at the difference in price between non-EU wine (eg. Australia, Chile, USA) and EU wine, then that'll be a guide to what'll happen to Benedictine. If non-EU wine is vastly more expensive (although part of the increase is because it's coming from further away), then Benedictine will presumably rise sharply. If, on the other hand, non-EU wine is scarcely different in price from EU wine, then perhaps the tariffs won't make much difference.
I have it on good authority that the Benedictine monks have been in consultation with Macron and that once we are out of the EU they will look to put in place an individual and specific trade agreement for Bene that will impose a £3.50 - £4.80 tax levy for import into the UK.

To be fair I hear that May is negotiating hard on a 10p rebate for returning all the empty bottles and the ERG and UKIP are campaigning vociferously stood on the sidelines telling everyone that we hold all the cards

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3871 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:15 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:I have it on good authority that the Benedictine monks have been in consultation with Macron and that once we are out of the EU they will look to put in place an individual and specific trade agreement for Bene that will impose a £3.50 - £4.80 tax levy for import into the UK.

To be fair I hear that May is negotiating hard on a 10p rebate for returning all the empty bottles and the ERG and UKIP are campaigning vociferously stood on the sidelines telling everyone that we hold all the cards
After a months ban you could come up with something better than that.
Might have to change that user name.

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:53 am

To be fair if getting control of our own country is worth less than 30p on a Bene and hot it's time to chuck in the towel..

claretabroad

Post by claretabroad » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 am

thatdberight wrote:Firstly, that's not true. The Canada - EU trade agreement, for example, has zero tariffs. Secondly, you said "a lot more" expensive.

I think you meant to answer my original question by saying you didn't know, there was no rationale and you were making it up but it was just made up to say Brexit was bad rather than intended as a factual contribution.
Time will tell. I'm not getting into a discussion over leave or remain. If you don't think prices will go up after brexit then you are entitled to that belief. My quite in-depth academic research suggests otherwise. It is one of the negatives to the whole situation. There are positives as well.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:57 am

It will go up about 6% which is WTO duty( on a vast amount of non food products) if we go hard no doubt prices of EU kit will rise a bit but once the inevitable deals ( trade) are done things will revert to par pricing I’d say .

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:53 pm

claretabroad wrote:Time will tell. I'm not getting into a discussion over leave or remain. If you don't think prices will go up after brexit then you are entitled to that belief. My quite in-depth academic research suggests otherwise. It is one of the negatives to the whole situation. There are positives as well.
I think prices in general will rise. I don't think it will be "a lot" for this product in the short term and will be zero to very little in the medium term. It doesn't take "in-depth academic research" to see that - just a basic understanding of WTO rules and previous EU trade deals.
You don't want to discuss leave or remain perhaps; instead you lob in ill-founded "facts" that show a bias to one side of that debate. I understand.