Goalkeepers analysis

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Goalkeepers analysis

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:20 pm

A few interesting bits of analysis from GK1 (football agents/analysts). No comparative stats from last year unfortunately.

A measure of how aggressive goalkeepers are on crosses and whether or not they are successful
https://twitter.com/AlexWylie/status/10 ... 3145781248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keepers assessed for shot-stopping, taking crosses and distribution.
https://twitter.com/Sam_Jackson94/statu ... 0798592007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know about Hart. He's super-conservative at coming for crosses and a decent shot-stopper. Interesting looking at some of the other keepers though.

clitheroeclaret2
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Re: Goalkeepers analysis

Post by clitheroeclaret2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Possibly says it all?
Hart doesn't/cant deal with crosses, leading to zero confidence for other defenders

Previously Pope did really well in that respect, confidence for defenders!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 pm

Heaton was very similar to Hart and one of the reasons Pope was such a revelation was to suddenly have a commanding keeper who came for crosses was an absolute sea change

I remember the season we went down there was massive criticism of Heaton for being routed on his line at corners with a lot of the blame directed at Dyche suggesting this was under his instruction

Dyche has a very conservative approach and maybe his view and instruction is that if you are not guaranteed to come out and win it leave it to your defenders, stay on your line and if it does come at you make the save then

Not defending Hart but I think Pope aside fans have a very short and distorted memory around Heaton and his presence in a crowded box
This user liked this post: JohnMac

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Considering the plaudits that Mercer was getting last season, in relation to both Heaton and Pope, it’s surprising that we aren’t seeing improvements with Hart taking charge of the area.

The defensive problems could, in part, be due to the change of keeper. Wasn’t it last season when, although we may have faced a lot of shots, they were ones that were more difficult for the striker, and easier for the keeper? We seem to have lost that cohesion between defenders and keeper.

Barring our full backs, our defence is pretty decent, when looking at individuals, as are our keepers (Hart’s dominance of his area aside).

It’s not just that though, our midfield is woeful. To a man they do little to support either those in front or those behind. Cork has been below par but he’s been switched from holding to a more forward thinking player, and back again, whist forming part of a midfield with Westwood and Hendrick who, are not Premier League quality.

The pedestrian way in which we pass the ball, with little movement in front, means that the only option is a pass to the centre halves, for a punt up to strikers. We simply aren’t winning the second balls that we did last season and if we aren’t doing this, it makes the long balls look pointless - why have our centre halves playing these passes when our midfielders should be better on the ball!?

Broken record, I know, but this all goes back to previous poor windows. We HAD to recruit in the summer, we’ve been complacent, naive, negligent, unwilling or unable to utilise the market.

It is doable for a ‘smaller club’ - you only need to look at some of the signings made by Brighton or Huddersfield - ignoring their respective positions, some of the signings that they have made would have helped to mitigate the issues that we have now. The players are out there if you look and are prepared to use the market - an area that Dyche appears to have been far too rigid in.

A Billing, Mooy, or Propper to name a few would have helped. We seemed wedded to the likes of Rodriguez and we know how that turned out.

We can blame Dyche, the players, Garlick recruitment, scouting and coaching etc. The truth probably is that to an extent all have been culpable to a degree and we are now paying the price, after the best opportunity we will ever get to push on, disappointing to say the least.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Interesting stats indeed and pretty much confirms what we know re strengths and weaknesses of JH.

Keeper coaching ( top euro level ) varies a fair bit when it comes to risk/reward on crosses bearing in mind punching /clearing the risky crosses can often encouraged certainly in Spain an Italy , even Neur will parry on occasion . As ever it’s a fag paper between the keepers it really is

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 pm

I'd agree with the comments re: Heaton, I think some have a bit of a rose-tinted view with him being out for so long. He tended to stay on his line and let the defenders deal with crosses, somewhat similar to Hart.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:24 pm

aggi wrote:I'd agree with the comments re: Heaton, I think some have a bit of a rose-tinted view with him being out for so long. He tended to stay on his line and let the defenders deal with crosses, somewhat similar to Hart.
Although he didn’t have to pick the ball out of the net at the rate Hart does.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:24 pm

It's Pope that we need to be getting back into the squad not Heaton.
These 3 users liked this post: Top Claret Hapag Lloyd JohnMac

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Pope is the best goalkeeper by far in the club and should play on Sunday if he is anywhere near fit. I know Sky Sports News won't like it because it means they won't be able to keep interviewing Hart any more.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:36 am

I can understand Hart staying on his line if he is better at shot stopping. I.e. if he comes and doesnt claim it theyre more likely to score.

The problem is the defenders arent attacking them crosses either. Look at Mina yesterday. He shouldnt have won the header. Whether its Hart catching or Tarks beating him to the header.

The back 3 , 4 or 5 all know Hart doesnt come for crosses. So work around it ffs. Do your own jobs. Stop the cross. Block the runner. Win the header.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 am

Pope got us loads of points last season by coming for crosses in the last 10 mins of games, sooner he is playing again the better
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:11 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Not defending Hart but I think Pope aside fans have a very short and distorted memory around Heaton and his presence in a crowded box
Bang on the money.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1961 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:19 am

Of course Heaton’s performances over the past three years got him into the England squad.
Harts performances have got him out of it.

So perhaps it’s not just Burnley fans who have a distorted view. We had a weakness on corners in our first Premier League season under Dyche but that was sorted in the subsequent season.

I don’t recall any calls for us to be looking to bring in a new keeper or give Pope a go before Heaton got injured. It was a position we seemed to be very happy with.
This user liked this post: TVC15

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:30 am

Maybe a few fans have a rose tinted view of Tom because we got him on a free transfer and he ended up being one of the best keepers in our history, captain of the club and on the verge of England number one ?
Maybe it’s because in the season before his injury he made 3 or 4 of the best saves many of us have seen in years ?
The fact that when he got injured we found a keeper who himself had an amazing season if anything has resulted in some of our fans forgetting how fantastic a keeper Tom was for Burnley....so that’s the opposite of rose tinted !

Seriously is there one Burnley fan who last season or the season before who would have been thinking we should replace Heaton or Pope ? Is there one fan who thought Hart was in better form than either ?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1650 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Look at Mina yesterday. He shouldnt have won the header.
I agree with the above comments but if I were being a touch facetious I would say that “won” is inaccurate because there wasn’t a battle to win or lose, we simply let Mina head it unopposed.

Anyway, the reason for my post, my observation on the superb graphs at the top:

The two keepers that I notice who are similar to Hart in having little light blue in the second graph (crossing) are Allison and Lloris. The two who are both in the Premier League top three and who this year have a World Cup winners medal in the locker.

People then try to argue (not on this thread - yet) that we face far more crosses hence need a keeper who will come for them. That is straying dangerously into the realm of moving away from the stats and trying to find an argument that fits their own initial instinctive viewpoint (and thus is likely to be wrong).

So, I haven’t seen any evidence yet that Hart is to blame. His save % is up 10% on last year at West Ham, he is usually MoM in our ratings. He doesn’t appear jittery unlike most of our other players. He could yet be crucial.

Heaton is too similar - Hart is an obvious (and younger) upgrade. Pope is different I accept, and given he went to Russia I can see an argument for seeing how he does given we need inspiration from somewhere. His stats last year were off the chart but were they an anomaly? I strongly suspect Hart is as good as we can expect to have in our goal.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:02 am

How often could you hear Heaton screaming 'STAY UP!' at the defence? How often have you heard Hart? He may well be a good communicator with his defence but it doesn't seem like he is from what I've seen.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:10 am

aggi wrote:A few interesting bits of analysis from GK1 (football agents/analysts). No comparative stats from last year unfortunately.

A measure of how aggressive goalkeepers are on crosses and whether or not they are successful
https://twitter.com/AlexWylie/status/10 ... 3145781248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keepers assessed for shot-stopping, taking crosses and distribution.
https://twitter.com/Sam_Jackson94/statu ... 0798592007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know about Hart. He's super-conservative at coming for crosses and a decent shot-stopper. Interesting looking at some of the other keepers though.
Made-up stats.

If (diagram 1), Hart's outcomes are most similar to Ryan, Schmeichel and Ederson for dealing with crosses, how come (diagram 2) his rating for dealing with crosses is so markedly different than theirs?

Not a statistical analysis. Just someone on Twitter with some digital crayons feeding the gullible.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 am

Very interesting stats and all well and good but it can't show what the Keeper does or doesn't do as far as organising/integrating with the rest of his team especially at set pieces.

..Now "those" would be interesting things to know.