The fear of relegation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Conroy92
Been Liked: 501 times
Has Liked: 30 times

The fear of relegation

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:59 pm

If I thought that we could easily bounce back from the championship I would be a lot more confident moving forwards, but the league gets tougher each year.
My biggest fear is that the money will sink back into the "dry powder stores".
If relegated do you think we will actually be able to compete in the transfer market again or do you think we'll continue in the same vein?

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Re: The fear of relegation

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm

It will be an eleven year decline ending with an Orient type game for a whole new generation of downtrodden Clarets
This user liked this post: Guich

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Reasonably confident we would be cert’s for a top 6 place, regardless of manager.

I know that sounds bullish but the goals/games ratios in that league for Wood, Vydra, Vokes, Barnes and Wells alone would be very impressive.

None of them are pulling up enough trees to get moves back to the Premier League either, so I think we would have them to call upon.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:07 pm

The league doesn't get tougher each year. It's a myth.
These 3 users liked this post: kaptin1 DomBFC1882 Quicknick

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:15 pm

We won't be relegated so this thread is irrelevant.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Wile E Coyote

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:17 pm

The biggest fear for me is if we go down and Dyche stays on.

I want to start enjoying my football again, and unless the unlikely happens and he completely overhauls his playing style, it’ll be the same old dour, crap negative rugby. And yes, I’m aware he got us up twice before.
These 4 users liked this post: cockneyclaret buzzclarets79 otto1959 Murger

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:23 pm

ksrclaret wrote:The biggest fear for me is if we go down and Dyche stays on.

I want to start enjoying my football again, and unless the unlikely happens and he completely overhauls his playing style, it’ll be the same old dour, crap negative rugby. And yes, I’m aware he got us up twice before.
That's the problem Dyche will think nothing has to change because his methods have earnt promotion before. Tbh I wouldn't be massively confident of the current squad getting in the top 6 as things stand. I certainly don't want to watch another season of negative, anti-football attempting to grind out a 1 nil win every week.
These 3 users liked this post: buzzclarets79 tiger76 claretfern

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:26 pm

If we we’re playing any of the current Championship top 6 on Saturday - who would we beat?
This user liked this post: Dazzler

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Barnsley will be rubbing their hands in the FA Cup... another exit to a lower league club coming up.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3786 times
Has Liked: 12473 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:30 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:If we we’re playing any of the current Championship top 6 on Saturday - who would we beat?

All of them! :D UTC Keep the faith!
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank AndrewJB

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:30 pm

I watched the Villa Leeds game last Sunday and both of them played more football in that 90 minutes than we have managed all season.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:35 pm

I can't help comparing our squad to Stoke's we have an ageing side severely lacking pace and creativity,and they have hardly ripped up the Championship this season,ditto Aston Villa who are still toiling in the 2nd tier,the danger is we go down with a whimper and confidence is shattered.

A lot will depend on incomings we recruited well last time with Andre Gray and Tarks,and of course Joey,but even then it took until Christmas for things to click.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:43 pm

If we get relegated, which I think we will, then I would want to get rid of Sean Dyche. We would need a new man at the helm with some different ideas. Even if that meant a couple of seasons in the Championship.
This user liked this post: claretfern

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:55 pm

If some of you lot want to watch some other kind of football than go and watch someone else.

It will clear the message board of a lot of moneing minnies at the same time.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:35 pm

South West Claret. wrote:If some of you lot want to watch some other kind of football than go and watch someone else.

Put your toys back in your pram, if your happy watching this you need help.
These 4 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 otto1959 Vegas Claret claretfern

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:51 pm

If or when we go down I think it unlikely we will return to the Premier League at anytime in the near future.
Our lack of pace and creativity will continue to strangle any progression even if we retain most of the squad. They are capable of much better but seem to be shackled.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:Put your toys back in your pram, if your happy watching this you need help.
Go...and go now.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:54 pm

JohnMac wrote:If or when we go down I think it unlikely we will return to the Premier League at anytime in the near future.
Our lack of pace and creativity will continue to strangle any progression even if we retain most of the squad. They are capable of much better but seem to be shackled.
I don't know how much of the Championship you watch, but the defending is miles below the quality of the Premier League. Take a player like Lennon and he'd get a lot more joy against Championship defenders.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:58 pm

South West Claret. wrote:If some of you lot want to watch some other kind of football than go and watch someone else.

I find this sort of comment really bizarre. Much like those who say 'go and watch Blackburn then' to anyone who complains.

If you know anything about football you know that your loyalties can only lie with one club. To simply stop supporting the team you've followed all your life and go and support another one would be near impossible for most people. It just doesn't work like that.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:13 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I don't know how much of the Championship you watch, but the defending is miles below the quality of the Premier League. Take a player like Lennon and he'd get a lot more joy against Championship defenders.
Lennon can't bring himself to drive forward and looks to recyclee the ball backwards at nearly every opportunity. He had ample opportunity against Aberdeen but after 5 minutes he reverted to passing into negative areas.

The framework that was so effective for so long is now our downfall and it dictates our lack of intent.

A lot of Championship success is built on attack, not defence and we don't have the tools to be as successful as 3 years ago.

snapcrackleandpop

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:25 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Go...and go now.
Really! you bloody halfwit.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 pm

I want to watch Burnley play an exciting passing style of football, win or lose, and Sean Dyche cannot provide me with that, therefore I think I'm well within my rights to express my opinion and say it's time for him to move over and let someone else have a go.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Nonayforever wrote:I want to watch Burnley play an exciting passing style of football, win or lose, and Sean Dyche cannot provide me with that, therefore I think I'm well within my rights to express my opinion and say it's time for him to move over and let someone else have a go.
With the imposed spending restraints and the current squad calibre, We won't be playing flowing, attractive football at this level.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:15 pm

ksrclaret wrote:I find this sort of comment really bizarre. Much like those who say 'go and watch Blackburn then' to anyone who complains.

If you know anything about football you know that your loyalties can only lie with one club. To simply stop supporting the team you've followed all your life and go and support another one would be near impossible for most people. It just doesn't work like that.
Supporting you say...well how about doing some.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:35 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
I find this sort of comment really bizarre. Much like those who say 'go and watch Blackburn then' to anyone who complains.

If you read his post, he does not say that you should go and support anyone else, he just says that you should go and watch someone else.
Apart from Burnley, there are 45 other league games played each weekend plus an unlimited number of non-league games so there is lots of football to watch if you are unhappy watching Burnley. Nobody is forced to go and watch it is a matter of personal choice,

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:50 pm

JohnMac wrote:If or when we go down I think it unlikely we will return to the Premier League at anytime in the near future.
why do we even want to be in the PL ?

We have a board that can't back a manager to the levels required in the division. Give me the Championship any day of the week, I much prefer thinking we have a good chance of winning over thinking we have a good chance of conceding 5 every game

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Mr Garlick thanks you for your contribution

snapcrackleandpop

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:If you read his post, he does not say that you should go and support anyone else, he just says that you should go and watch someone else.
Apart from Burnley, there are 45 other league games played each weekend plus an unlimited number of non-league games so there is lots of football to watch if you are unhappy watching Burnley. Nobody is forced to go and watch it is a matter of personal choice,
Really go and watch somebody else it’s not that simple is it because you can and can’t do the following,
CAN
Change your job
Change your car
Change your house
Change your wife / husband

CAN’T
Change your football team
See not that simple is it.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret tiger76

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:02 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:Really! you bloody halfwit.

Swearing now...as I say go and go now.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:07 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Swearing now...as I say go and go now.
I see you are one of those people who tells people to leave when they don't agree with you, classy
This user liked this post: Dazzler

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:08 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:Really go and watch somebody else it’s not that simple is it because you can and can’t do the following,
CAN
Change your job
Change your car
Change your house

CAN’T
It is. You can watch whatever (whichever?) team you want. You'll likely always be a burnley supporter, or fan, depending on your level of pedantry, but it's actually allowed to go and watch whichever (whatever?) team you like.

otto1959
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by otto1959 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:If you read his post, he does not say that you should go and support anyone else, he just says that you should go and watch someone else.
I understand that Ashintonclaret46, however as a long term supporter you know it gets in your blood and you can't watch another football team. Which is why i am watching Bath Rugby until we change the manager. Most logical people on this board have seen this coming for a long time. I often do the the 460 mile round trip to watch the clarets, but no more.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I see you are one of those people who tells people to leave when they don't agree with you, classy
I see you are one of those people.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2903 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Why can't people have a sensible conversation on this board without it degenerating within a couple of posts.... it is getting like Clarets Mad used to be. And I left that before most of you switched over. Some of us would actually prefer to hear alternative views to our own. There are some very clever people on here to be so certain of EVERYTHING.

snapcrackleandpop

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I see you are one of those people.
How old are you - 12

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 pm

FactualFrank wrote:The league doesn't get tougher each year. It's a myth.
I've only watched the odd Championship game this season and it's looked rubbish for the most part

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Why can't people have a sensible conversation on this board without it degenerating within a couple of posts
Because people like South West Claret only use the forum to troll and to get a reaction. He does it all the time and on any given subject too.

I'm still backing our manager, but I certainly don't go around telling people who disagree with me to 'go and go now'.
These 3 users liked this post: elwaclaret snapcrackleandpop Vegas Claret

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:07 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:Really go and watch somebody else it’s not that simple is it because you can and can’t do the following,
CAN
Change your job
Change your car
Change your house

CAN’T
By watching somebody else you are not changing your football team ---you can still support them, however, if you do not enjoy watching them you do not have to go. There are lots of other games which you could go to and give a much needed boost to the coffers of all those League clubs who rely on spectators going on their grounds so that they can continue to exist without the obscene amounts of money floating around in the PL.
It is your choice! Watch football that you want to watch but still support your team.
See, it is that simple!!

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 pm

otto1959 wrote:I understand that Ashintonclaret46, however as a long term supporter you know it gets in your blood and you can't watch another football team. Which is why i am watching Bath Rugby until we change the manager. Most logical people on this board have seen this coming for a long time. I often do the the 460 mile round trip to watch the clarets, but no more.
I know what you are saying, Burnley has been in my blood since Iwas 5 years old in 1952, however, why can you not watch another team.
I live in Ashington and, since 1966, I have not lived nearer the Turf than 100 miles and I have always travelled to support the Clarets and have a season ticket.
However, this week I have been to watch Shrewsbury v Coventry on Saturday, travelled to the Turf yesterday and will be there again on Sunday, and probably watch a non-league match on Saturday to fill a gap.
On 2 January I shall be at Huddersfield v Burnley then motoring up to St James Park to watch Newcastle v Man United.

If you want to watch other games it is as easy as pie if you make the effort and can get on these clubs' databases.
I have been married over 51 years and have a very understanding wife who realises that my biggest love is her, cricket is second and football is third!

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:Because people like South West Claret only use the forum to troll and to get a reaction. He does it all the time and on any given subject too.

I'm still backing our manager, but I certainly don't go around telling people who disagree with me to 'go and go now'.
Before you get on your high horse and start accusing people this is a message board and no more, and if some people don’t like some other people’s post and have a conversation with those people I don’t see what it’s got to do with you on this occasion.

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:58 pm

Corky wrote:If we get relegated, which I think we will, then I would want to get rid of Sean Dyche. We would need a new man at the helm with some different ideas. Even if that meant a couple of seasons in the Championship.
What happens after those couple of seasons? Promotion or relegation?

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:30 am

CAN
Change your job
Change your car
Change your house

CAN’T
But he didn’t say change your team, but go watch someone else (and - my presumption - see how bad they are).

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 am

I don’t fear relegation. For choice I’d rather stay up, but the Campionship has a lot to be said for it in terms of unpredictability and entertainment value that I’m missing in the Prem.

And I can only assume those saying that they couldn’t watch us in the Championship under Dyche must’ve forgotten some of the fantastic football we played during our two successful Championship campaigns under his leadership.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:45 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:I know what you are saying, Burnley has been in my blood since Iwas 5 years old in 1952, however, why can you not watch another team.
I live in Ashington and, since 1966, I have not lived nearer the Turf than 100 miles and I have always travelled to support the Clarets and have a season ticket.
However, this week I have been to watch Shrewsbury v Coventry on Saturday, travelled to the Turf yesterday and will be there again on Sunday, and probably watch a non-league match on Saturday to fill a gap.
On 2 January I shall be at Huddersfield v Burnley then motoring up to St James Park to watch Newcastle v Man United.

If you want to watch other games it is as easy as pie if you make the effort and can get on these clubs' databases.
I have been married over 51 years and have a very understanding wife who realises that my biggest love is her, cricket is second and football is third!
I think you got your order in reverse. Probably the old age ;)
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:58 am

We could still stay up - more games to play, but it looks like a hard slog. I hope we do. I’m not one of those missing the derby, but I have a feeling that we’d hear the radio commentator say; “ Nearly half time, but with Burnley four nil up, and absolutely cruising now, even though they’re only playing Blackburn, they’ve set their stalls for breaking every conceivable record for this division during their remarkable season back in the Champi .. oh and Wells has just gone and got his hat trick...”

For those of a more negative persuasion, you always have the book title: “The best Training Ground in the Northern League”

Surely we’ll be somewhere in between.