Dyche expects tough window

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Dyche expects tough window

Post by Spijed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm

boatshed bill wrote:We can't afford a decent, established PL striker's wages, and possibly the transfer fee too.
And a good time to repeat that when only Vardy, Murray and our very own Chris Wood, got into double figures last season outside of the top six then neither can many other clubs in the PL.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Chris Wood has been offside 19 times this season . How?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:Chris Wood has been offside 19 times this season . How?
Cos he's a lazy bugger.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:44 pm

I’ll be gutted if he’s in the starting eleven against West Ham

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Chris wood is a dud I’m afraid. There was a reason a few of us were unhappy when we signed him.

Dyche really cannot spot a player at all.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Spend that much and the wage bill would rise to a level at which we can't cope. It's the wage bill that becomes the most important, not the transfer fees.
All I will say to that ridiculous comment is that thank Christ the accounts to Jun'18 are not required to be published until the end of April next year, as opposed to previous seasons when they would already be in the public domain.

Seriously, this forum would be in meltdown.
These 2 users liked this post: Turfytop cricketfieldclarets

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Sorry Murger, you've just been pipped to "peak UTC" by this one

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:02 pm

The wage bill went up a lot last summer. Lots of new contracts signed.

Not a good time to be looking at relegation trouble, especially as we will have problems moving some of them on if they continue to be unfit or play like they are.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 pm

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sounds like the manager is feeling the pressure

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... ssion=true sounds like the manager is feeling the pressure

Wow, quite shocked with that actually.... Who knows what's brewing.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 pm

It's not the first time Sean has made this sort of comments,what is different is the backdrop of our league placing.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Right_winger wrote:Chris wood is a dud I’m afraid. There was a reason a few of us were unhappy when we signed him.

So, are you saying you can tell if one player who scores 30 goals in the Championship isn't going to be good enough?

You've basically said that no championship striker is going to be good enough for the Prem if they score less than 30.

Btw, last season scored 1 goal every 2.6 games which is a great strike rate.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:13 pm

In response to the thread title may I just say "no sh1t Sherlock?"

If we can't recruit the players we need to improve the team when we've finished 7th in the PL and a chance of the Europa League, how are we going to attract the quality players we need when we're in free fall towards the Championship?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:20 pm

SD will/should already probably have an idea how to strengthen the squad & no doubt will be making inroads within January to rectify the shortfalls existing within the current setup.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... ssion=true sounds like the manager is feeling the pressure
I actually think thats a fair and sound interview from him. And hes putting pressure on himself - in a good way. I like what I hear there.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:The wage bill went up a lot last summer. Lots of new contracts signed.

Not a good time to be looking at relegation trouble, especially as we will have problems moving some of them on if they continue to be unfit or play like they are.
I'm well aware of that, Lancaster, as I think you well know.

It changes my post not one jot.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:, he’s had enough time now to assess & evaluate what he needs!
He may have but getting what he needs is another matter.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Spijed wrote:So, are you saying you can tell if one player who scores 30 goals in the Championship isn't going to be good enough?

You've basically said that no championship striker is going to be good enough for the Prem if they score less than 30.

Btw, last season scored 1 goal every 2.6 games which is a great strike rate.

Yes based on the rest of his career. Was never taken in by his freak season at Leeds. He’s never done it in the premier league.

There were hardly a raft of clubs after him that’s for sure

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:If the ginger gimp doesn’t sort it soon he needs a bitch slap, I don’t think I’m the only 1 running out of patience, he’s had enough time now to assess & evaluate what he needs!
Bit harsh. Irrespective of our results so far this season or even what happens at the end of it, he deserves more respect than that.
These 5 users liked this post: Aclaret xxmunkyennuixx Pimlico_Claret longsidepies bodge

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:If the ginger gimp doesn’t sort it soon he needs a bitch slap,
He'd f***ing bury you.
These 2 users liked this post: Jakubclaret The Enclosure

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 pm

Right_winger wrote:Yes based on the rest of his career. Was never taken in by his freak season at Leeds. He’s never done it in the premier league.

There were hardly a raft of clubs after him that’s for sure
Never done it in the Prem? What about last season then?

Outside of the top six clubs how many strikers have performed well?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:44 pm

if we played better football we would create better chances for the likes of Wood and maybe his ability might not be in as much question. This season he is being paid to run around and not much else pretty much through no fault of his own
This user liked this post: claretfern

Vintage Claret

Post by Vintage Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Bit harsh. Irrespective of our results so far this season or even what happens at the end of it, he deserves more respect than that.
Agreed.
SD deserves every respect for what he has achieved and will always be a legend in my opinion, some of the vitriolic personal comments on this forum and on other social media towards him have been totally out of order.

Having said that, still think it's reasonable for people to question certain aspects of SD's management competency, 8 wins (so far) in a calender year and 40+ goals conceded in 19 games is a difficult statistic to defend even for the staunchest SD fan.

He rightly received the plaudits for how well we did last season but you can't have it both ways and say our abysmal season so far is nothing to do with the manager.

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:01 am

IndigoLake wrote:I think our level of activity in the coming transfer window will give us an idea of his much the club wants and believes it can stay in the Premier League. It's as clear as day that the current squad with its current tactics is likely to be relegated. We've got a chance to address that.

However, I agree that it's tough because we shot ourselves in the foot when we didn't take advantage of finishing in 7th place last season. That was the perfect time to improve the squad and we failed to do that.
Or do our club or board want to stay in the premier League. Just a thought

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:07 am

Vintage Claret wrote:Agreed.
SD deserves every respect for what he has achieved and will always be a legend in my opinion, some of the vitriolic personal comments on this forum and on other social media towards him have been totally out of order.

Having said that, still think it's reasonable for people to question certain aspects of SD's management competency, 8 wins (so far) in a calender year and 40+ goals conceded in 19 games is a difficult statistic to defend even for the staunchest SD fan.

He rightly received the plaudits for how well we did last season but you can't have it both ways and say our abysmal season so far is nothing to do with the manager.
Thats fair enough. And hes probably questioning himself as much as any of us are.

I just feel ginger gimps a bit of a shitty comment about a man who for well over 80 percent of his time here has beena revelation.
These 4 users liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx The Enclosure longsidepies Claret Till I Die

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:09 am

Vintage Claret wrote: He rightly received the plaudits for how well we did last season but you can't have it both ways and say our abysmal season so far is nothing to do with the manager.
There are right and wrong ways of delivering it. Although I do think that Jakub is just being daft for the crowd.

There won't be a Burnley fan on the planet that isn't questioning Dyche in some way or another.

Everything he has said in his pre-match interview is factual, just like it has been for all the time he has been here.

He's earned our respect, it's time some on here earned theirs.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Vintage Claret

Post by Vintage Claret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:13 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thats fair enough. And hes probably questioning himself as much as any of us are.

I just feel ginger gimps a bit of a shitty comment about a man who for well over 80 percent of his time here has beena revelation.
No argument from me, personal abuse towards SD is totally out of order full stop.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:45 am

Don't panic Brady and Defour will be fit soon.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:42 am

Jakubclaret wrote:....ginger gimp....
Unbelievable comment. Truly unbelievable.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure SussexDon1inIreland

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:49 am

Jakubclaret wrote:SD will/should already probably have an idea how to strengthen the squad & no doubt will be making inroads within January to rectify the shortfalls existing within the current setup.
Just like he did in the summer ;)

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:32 am

“..and we did out perform the market last year, statistically and in the league table”

“Now we’ve got to remodel it and move it forward again.”

Has a way with words does Sean. Are they actually coached in this sh1te ?

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:42 am

Not an easy job talking sh!te and making it sound plausible you know. :D

A few on here will testify to that.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:50 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:There are right and wrong ways of delivering it. Although I do think that Jakub is just being daft for the crowd.

There won't be a Burnley fan on the planet that isn't questioning Dyche in some way or another.

Everything he has said in his pre-match interview is factual, just like it has been for all the time he has been here.

He's earned our respect, it's time some on here earned theirs.
You'd be surprised. There are people on social media who are saying he's got a job for life, and all those questioning aren't proper fans and should clear off. They are the worst kind of fans and do more damage than those of us who are questioning.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:59 am

lrac wrote:Or do our club or board want to stay in the premier League. Just a thought
Of course they do. Can you imagine the bonuses all around from top to bottom when we secure another season. The risk of having to put any of that bonus money back in to suatain wages etc should we be relegated is what restrains the board , all being good buainess men.

This is what prevents us from having decent players like Bournemouth , Brighton and Fulham etc . Dyche has been phenomenal and turning the players into believers at times it felt like he had the Fergie magic with last minute goals , a togetherness and the never defeated attitude.

Sadly we can all see it has gone . Last summer was the time to loosen the purse strings a tiny bit and reward him. The board were not in a position to do what Dycge had earned. Europe was pointless and didn't help the situation along with injuries .

Doomed doomed I tell ya.

Apart from that have we all had a good Christmas ?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:06 am

Socrates wrote:But you can legislate that something will happen. And when you carry a perilously small squad you have no resistance to these things happening ..... and that’s the position we find ourselves in. Just a couple of injuries and our first XI is markedly weaker.

The other thing to point out is that we knew this summer Brady and Defour were coming back from long term injuries and so would be susceptible to these niggly injuries but we did absolutely nothing to counter that. Instead the message was “they’ll be like two new signings” knowing full well this could play out the way it has.

Your constant defence of the club is admirable but last summer was an absolute horror show. And this isn’t hindsight talking, a lot of people felt that way.

You can admire Dyche and the board (as I do) whilst thinking they had a shocker of a summer (which I do). It’s then only natural to be considered that the same old tired, defeatist messages are now coming out of the club.

ps. I do not accept Rigg needs time to bed in. He’s not spent the last year scouting cricketers or rugby players. I’d expect him to have a database of players ready to access given his long standing career in the game.

How’ve I only just seen this one??

Absolutely spot on.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:35 am

ClaretTony wrote:Not rubbish at all. As for the clauses, I know that we have had players close to signing who then wouldn't with that relegation clause included.
I'd be surprised by this, they're pretty standard across the league. For all that Sunderland were on the brink for a while, they still managed to get relegation clauses into the contracts of all but one player which shows how standard they are.

It may be that the issue was the level of pay cut rather than the base clause.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:39 am

I assume Dyche will also have a hefty relegation/performance clause

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6895 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 am

lrac wrote:Or do our club or board want to stay in the premier League. Just a thought
Why wouldn’t our board want to stay in the Premier League with all the riches that doing so brings?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 am

[Negotiating with mid-table continental side]

“Naturally we can’t pay you much for the player, we’re strapped for cash!”

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 am

Rileybobs wrote:Why wouldn’t our board want to stay in the Premier League with all the riches that doing so brings?
January transfer window will answer that one way or the other. "it's difficult in January" wont stop us from going down, not saying new players will either but it will show us their thoughts regarding PL status imho. Hopefully Rigg is some sort of miracle worker !!!

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:50 am

My 2c:

No one coming in this window - get used to it. Why would they? Anyone useful will get better offers from others. We may be one of the richest clubs in the world but (rightly in my opinion) we can't mortgage the future existence of the club for a desperate attempt to rescue this lost season. What happened to all those posts about what a well run club we are compared to that lot down the road, Notlob, etc? Now we want to throw money around lie a drunken sailor in a failing attempt to reach the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Dyche's first promotion season we did what we had to do - pay off the debt, build Gawthorpe. Second time around I thought we started to get it right with players like Brady, Cork ad Defour. Last two windows have been terrible - though I think the jury is still out on Gibson and Vydra. That's what has killed us.

So here we are, aging squad, bottom 3, relegation clauses and one of the lower salary structures in the league, and probably more importantly, something has changed in this season. The passion is not there, Can't put my finger on it but something is not right and we need to clean house to get back to ourselves. You can't clean house in a January window - too late.

The PL is only for the super rich. We don't qualify. It's an unfair competition. I don't buy all this "best league in the world? crap when only 6 teams out of 20 can realistically have a chance to win. Hopefully we can spend the occasional season or two in there to keep the coffers full.

Having said all that, I hope like hell we win today and it's the start of another unbeaten run - there's always hope...but sometimes, it's the hope that kills you.
These 9 users liked this post: Vegas Claret The Enclosure tiger76 longsidepies Top Claret SussexDon1inIreland Carnsmerry12 Steve1956 CombatClaret

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:46 am

Good post Lord Bob,not much to disagree with there.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:33 am

Vegas Claret wrote:I assume Dyche will also have a hefty relegation/performance clause
Now, that is an interesting point

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:03 am

Sounds like Garlick has told him results must improve ( which I would hope was a while ago) and he is trying to save face. It would be nice if he could leave whilst we remember the good times more than this long drawn out season with terrible football and results.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:20 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Lawrence Shankland (loan back), Kyle Scott and Chris Cadden could be candidates for that department.
Brief Update

Cadden Clips

Interviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4pFwjcjrc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJe10Sn9JlM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/09/ ... is-cadden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Five Second Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFeooC7uR7w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Youtube Highlight Reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZpH8z03ULA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opinion: Seems to be every bit a Burnley player, just needs the shirt. Even celebrates goals like our Ashley :)

Shankland Shorts

Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wthNlqFlTZc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Youtube Highlight Reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVb4LvBPbY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opinion: A strange one, he seems a bit shy in all his interviews and aggressive, maybe to aggressive on the pitch. Looks to enjoy the adulation that goes with being a big fish in a little pond and what is with all of the nonchalant hand slap celebrations with his team mates. Is he afraid of a hug or does he consider himself a step above. Not sure how he would react to being a very little fish in a very big pond. Maybe, but I'm leaning towards maybe not.

I would prefer us to spend a bit more to bring in Josh Maja. He seems more Burnley

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:58 pm

I've seen Cadden quite a bit for Motherwell on the box. He's a good player for them, but Motherwell are a League One team at best.

And I think Shankland is nailed on for Swansea

Jones at Kilmarnock is a better gamble to be honest, but again I don't see a premier league winger in there

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I've seen Cadden quite a bit for Motherwell on the box. He's a good player for them, but Motherwell are a League One team at best.

And I think Shankland is nailed on for Swansea

Jones at Kilmarnock is a better gamble to be honest, but again I don't see a premier league winger in there
Nods, it would be a huge jump for Cadden and Jones. I was thinking more of the development squad. Immediate loan back, take stock in the Summer and go from there. A season on loan in the Championship certainly wouldn't hurt them.

Possibly making the grade in a year or two, being useful if we suffer the drop, or improving to the point where we can sell them on to a Championship club at a profit if they don't make the grade. I can't see either of them costing us much if they move in this window.
Last edited by Long Time Lurker on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 517 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:15 pm

I saw Shankland play for Ayr at Queen of the South last Saturday.

He looked quite sharp, and good on the ball.

But, and it's a big but, there is a world of difference between the Scottish Championship and the Premier League ( or even the English Championship ).

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Did we really need a Director Of Football in place well before January if the general consensus is that we are not going to sign anybody? :?

Probably got his feet up somewhere taking a snooze.

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Although this season has been very poor there have been good signs of recovery in the last two games. I cannot believe how some fans have turned on Sean Dyche this season and imho their expectations have not been realistic or very fair. Yes mistakes have been made but posters should remember where we were before he joined us. He has given this club so much to be grateful for including promotion and a brilliant 7th place resulting in qualifying for European cup football something which most fans would not of dreamed of ever happening to Burnley in generations.

Fans these days at virtually all clubs expect these types of achievements overnight but as soon as that doesn't happen then it's out with the knives, the personal abuse and the now usual shouts of change the manager in the vain belief that somehow that guarantees success once again overnight. Be careful what you wish for is what I say. You could lose our best ever manager in modern times and then end up with 'Arry Boy, Fat Sam, David Moyes et al, then you would have something to really moan about and regret.

Yes the transfer window in January will be difficult. A smaller pool of good talent, more expensive prices and plenty of duds looking for an easy wage. However we do need to pay higher prices to get decent enough players who can offer more than we currently have because realistically there is no other way out of our current dilemma. We simply cannot afford not to. I am not advocating betting the farm but we had plenty of unspent cash from the last window and we must now take the plunge and add to our numbers.

We are now paying the price for last summers transfer debacle where we simply did not do enough in getting players over the line. We faffed about over our main target (not for the first time) wasting time, effort and energy on a player who we were never going to get. We always get stiffed by WBA who are simply not worth bothering with. JayRod will not be coming and I would be surprised if Matt Phillips will either so we shouldn't waste any time on them. We failed to get in any loans which was also a mistake. It was a known fact that Brady and Defour wouldn't be ready and our numbers were too light for the fixtures ahead.

We need more pace in the squad, we need more players in midfield both creatively and defensively and we need another winger,

Although Joe Hart has been good for us I believe it was a mistake too play him ahead of Tom Heaton, I think this unsettled the team especially with the rumoured wages and golden handshake allegedly given to Hart. Heaton deserved to be selected and his influence in orgainising our defence and the respect he had from our players was a strong reason for playing him apart from the fact he is also an excellent keeper.

I further believe the decision to play weakened teams in Europe was another major mistake. Think of the negative impact on players who having slogged their guts out over the season before to qualify for Europe then don't get the chance to play in the competition itself. Its as if the club and manager said to them we don't take the compettition seriously and we don't think you deserve to play in it. Add this to the fact that the club failed to strengthen the squad in areas where it needed it and this adds to the belief the club wasn't interested in pushing on and making further progress.

The club now needs to sell Wells and Hart, offload other dead wood, offer Bardsley another contract, look to the future with regards to a left back, bring in pace and younger players with potential but not follow the policy of bringing in loads of Development squad players who don't make the grade who we then allow to leave on a Free having gome out on loan previously and we never get to see.

Give SEan Dyche the money he needs, forget JayRod and Phillips, support the team.