Don't you tell me that Vydra isn't good enough without giving him a run in the side

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Don't you tell me that Vydra isn't good enough without giving him a run in the side

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Just which of that shower who i saw on Boxing Day is he supposed to be less deserving than?

Give the man a bloody run ffs
These 9 users liked this post: burnleymik PhiladelphiaChris HiroshimaClaret theroyaldyche Quicknick snapcrackleandpop Cleveleys_claret Murger Narwhalchomper

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Re: Don't you tell me that Vydra isn't good enough without giving him a run in the side

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Vydra isn't good enough without giving him a run in the side.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Re: Don't you tell me that Vydra isn't good enough without giving him a run in the side

Post by dougcollins » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:45 pm

He said don't tell him, Pike.
These 4 users liked this post: FactualFrank bobinho Buxtonclaret Bfcboyo

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:49 pm

dougcollins wrote:He said don't tell him, Pike.
I never did play by the rules.

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Philosophically, you can tell him that 'Vydra isn't good enough without giving him a run in the side', but he asked you not to tell him that 'Vydra isn't good enough'. So you're ok.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 pm

By that argumwnt we shoild have kept Wells and given him a proper run too. He had even less time than Vydra.

Accept that either he is one to develop for the future or we just bought a dud at this level

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:10 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:By that argumwnt we shoild have kept Wells and given him a proper run too. He had even less time than Vydra.

Accept that either he is one to develop for the future or we just bought a dud at this level
I just don't buy it.

He scored when he came on against Olympiacos in a real poachers style effort and did similar against Bournemouth.

Bournemouth also happened to be our best performance this year, where IMO Vydra's movement be it dropping into gaps between the lines, gaps between defence/midfield & also movement in the channels looking like just what we had needed.

Not to mention Vokes also playing well and clarets knowing that Vokes works best when combined with an agile player next to him, I.e. Ings, Gray.... Vydra?
These 9 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret tiger76 SGr claretgimmer Quicknick burnleymik elwaclaret jlup1980 Narwhalchomper

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:33 am

BabylonClaret wrote:By that argumwnt we shoild have kept Wells and given him a proper run too. He had even less time than Vydra.

We have plenty of duds at this level.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:59 am

CoolClaret wrote:I just don't buy it.

He scored against Olympiacos and against Bournemouth.

Vydra's movement
dropping into gaps
between the lines
between defence/midfield
in the channels
just what we need.

Vokes playing well
works best
with Vydra
I’ve summarised. But I think you are spot on

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:35 am

The problem is that SD is picking a team not to lose games rather than win games.
This user liked this post: buzzclarets79

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:11 am

CoolClaret wrote:I just don't buy it.

He scored when he came on against Olympiacos in a real poachers style effort and did similar against Bournemouth.

Bournemouth also happened to be our best performance this year, where IMO Vydra's movement be it dropping into gaps between the lines, gaps between defence/midfield & also movement in the channels looking like just what we had needed.

Not to mention Vokes also playing well and clarets knowing that Vokes works best when combined with an agile player next to him, I.e. Ings, Gray.... Vydra?
So why isn't he playing? Olympiakos was a bit of a weird one because he came on so late, but yes he did pretty well against Bournemouth. Trouble is since then when he's appeared I've been really disappointed in what he offers - he was dreadful against West Ham when he started. There's the argument that he needs game time - happy to agree there - but I'm just pointing out that he's had more time than Wells already and yet most folks have already written Wells off.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:32 am

Must say, it's strange.

I don't think Vydra has pulled up too many trees when he's got a go with us, but generally he's seemed to make good runs into the channels which have given us an option to stretch teams down the sides and in behind the full backs, and his link up play in that department has been OK. Apart from against Bournemouth where he generally looked pretty good, his link up play when he's coming short in central areas has been less impressive, especially with his back to goal, but in fairness he's not had that many opportunities. He looks to be trying too hard to make things happen on occasions, but that can happen when you don't get a run of games to bed in.

He was signed as the striker who could provide the sort of flexible link between the target man and a midfield 4 that we've not really had since Ings left - but we've never really given him the chance to play ahead of the sort of really solid, narrow midfield 4 that we used to adopt when we had Ings. For all the tinkering we've done this season, it's decidedly odd we've not given this a whirl.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 am

Vydra doesn’t get a run in the side because he hasn’t shown he’s good enough?

Wonder if that’s the criteria having seen a good amount of games so far this season...

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:42 pm

You mean you wonder if that criteria is applied to certain other strikers?

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:11 pm

claretspice wrote:He was signed as the striker who could provide the sort of flexible link between the target man and a midfield 4 that we've not really had since Ings left - but we've never really given him the chance to play ahead of the sort of really solid, narrow midfield 4 that we used to adopt when we had Ings. For all the tinkering we've done this season, it's decidedly odd we've not given this a whirl.
the whole point of a midfield four is to have the ability to
- get in wide (therefore avoiding the necessity for a link man) to hit the two lumps up front
- press higher up the pitch when not having the ball.

Admittedly I would still like a link up man to give us the options

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:23 pm

NRC wrote:the whole point of a midfield four is to have the ability to
- get in wide (therefore avoiding the necessity for a link man) to hit the two lumps up front
- press higher up the pitch when not having the ball.

Admittedly I would still like a link up man to give us the options
Not sure that is correct. We've used Ings, Gray and Wood in a 4-4-2 to be the primary outlet for getting in behind the full backs, with the midfield 4 acting as a tight, narrow unit to back up the play from there. It's been the job of that forward to either win field position by winning a free kick/throw in, or to link with the wide midfielder and full back on that side to develop the attack.

The expectation was that Vydra's pace would allow him to do that, whilst also dropping in behind the target man to create a 4-4-1-1 shape when appropriate (like Ings did, but unlike Gray and Wood who have tended to require Barnes or Vokes to drop in as that second striker).

boyyanno
Been Liked: 499 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by boyyanno » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Vydra looks like Hennings. His first touch isn't quite sticking and he looks a little out of the game. That happens when you swap a league or go up a level and game time could iron those problems out. The bigger issue though is that he looks like Hennings in more than just those ways, despite being billed as a pacey player he's not really fast or particularly nimble. He reminds me of the stocky German all over. I hope he can adapt to our team and system but I'm not too sure.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Can't believe we have spent 10 million on a guy and not played him, when we can't buy a win or a goal.

Just proves how incompetent the club have become. Dyches head will have to roll or the club could go into serious decline

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 pm

He's a foot too short to challenge for the diagonal hoof.
This user liked this post: buzzclarets79

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Firthy wrote:The problem is that SD is picking a team not to lose games rather than win games.
...and that's going really well :D

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:08 pm

boyyanno wrote:Vydra looks like Hennings. His first touch isn't quite sticking and he looks a little out of the game. That happens when you swap a league or go up a level and game time could iron those problems out. The bigger issue though is that he looks like Hennings in more than just those ways, despite being billed as a pacey player he's not really fast or particularly nimble. He reminds me of the stocky German all over. I hope he can adapt to our team and system but I'm not too sure.
He's significantly quicker than Hemmings, and his relative record in the Championship suggests he's generally a better player.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:09 pm

claretspice wrote:I don't think Vydra has pulled up too many trees when he's got a go with us
I agree. But I can see he has something different, and he’s generally been used in the final few minutes when we are a goal down. His channel running would make the opposition play slightly differently, drop them a few yards, and make it easier to retain possession. However, it’s much more difficult to make the opposition play like this, and still be stretched, when we are already losing

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 pm

[quote="bobinho"]Vydra doesn’t get a run in the side because he hasn’t shown he’s good enough?

Yet Vokes & Wood do

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:47 pm

No point in playing Vydra if you’re just going to launch it in the air from the back all the time.
Also he moves into the channels, if players can’t see his runs well that is surely a training aspect.
At least if we had Wells & Vydra up front we might not launch it all the time.....but then again I bet we probably still would.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm

If it was work you would take it to a tribunal

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:35 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
That may well have been my point, hence the question mark.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 am

Real shame and somewhat bewildering why he’s not been given a proper run.

Started 2/3 of our wins this season and hasn’t been seen since. Inexplicable dropped for the Huddersfield game at home when we were absolutely rancid.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 am

bobinho wrote:That may well have been my point, hence the question mark.
Sorry Bob I didn’t read that properly.
This user liked this post: bobinho

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 am

Vokes/Wells/Vydra will RIP the Championship a new one next season,I'm looking forward to it.