BBC Series .... Icons of the 20th Centuries ..

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

BBC Series .... Icons of the 20th Centuries ..

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:59 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profil ... -the-icons

Don't even get me started on the PC ******** that went into the shortlisting of these selections !!

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Re: BBC Series .... Icons of the 20th Centuries ..

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Well Thatcher certainly helped shape the future of Britain, there's little doubt there

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:26 am

All seem fairly iconic to me :?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:28 am

To me https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profil ... /tu-youyou" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 am

To be fair, the only two people I'd never heard of on there are Tanni Grey-Thomson and Tu Youyou so I can't say if they are iconic, but the rest certainly are, no?

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:43 am

[quote="duncandisorderly"]To be fair, the only two people I'd never heard of on there are Tanni Grey-Thomson and Tu Youyou so I can't say if they are iconic, but the rest certainly are, no?[/quote

Tu Youyou and Tu Me me, weren't they the Chinese Chuckle Brothers?
This user liked this post: addisclaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:47 am

duncandisorderly wrote:To be fair, the only two people I'd never heard of on there are Tanni Grey-Thomson and Tu Youyou so I can't say if they are iconic, but the rest certainly are, no?
Congratulations to Tu Youyou. Also for being the most confusing person to sing Happy Birthday to.
These 10 users liked this post: Pstotto Pimlico_Claret ElectroClaret addisclaret karatekid Buxtonclaret CombatClaret Acting Claret Rileybobs yTib

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:54 am

When Burnley wasted any time in midfield, my Grandad always used to say 'from me to you' as a dry remark.

The list is worrying as an attempt to re-write history. What it also shows is that any attempt to build a society on pseudo non-elitist lines, is bound to fail for pandering to mediocrity and championing 3rd rate stuff.
This user liked this post: addisclaret

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Acting Claret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:06 am

Billie Holliday over Elvis or The Beatles is an eyebrow raiser.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Acting Claret wrote:Billie Holliday over Elvis or The Beatles is an eyebrow raiser.
As is Bowie over Elvis or the Beatles, which is what caught my eye ! Tanni Grey Thompson is clearly a PC sop, helped by the fact she's on the BBC payroll, and a number of the others are dubious ... but then you look at the people involved in their selection !! :roll:
This user liked this post: Acting Claret

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:47 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Congratulations to Tu Youyou. Also for being the most confusing person to sing Happy Birthday to.
:lol: :D :lol:

Brilliant.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Acting Claret wrote:Billie Holliday over Elvis or The Beatles is an eyebrow raiser.
The Beatles are a band and not an individual icon like this list is.
Elvis though a great performer just took black music and made it acceptable to white america [puts on tin hat]
Clarets4me wrote:Don't even get me started on the PC ******** that went into the shortlisting of these selections !!
Should replace some of the women with Alf Garnett and Oswald Mosley.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:11 pm

CombatClaret wrote:The Beatles are a band and not an individual icon like this list is.
Elvis though a great performer just took black music and made it acceptable to white america [puts on tin hat]
Should replace some of the women with Alf Garnett and Oswald Mosley.
Your Elvis comment betrays your lack of knowledge, and the other comment is a wilful misrepresentation of what I meant, as well you know !! :D

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Your Elvis comment betrays your lack of knowledge
So his first hits were not covers of songs by black artist who were banned from the radio?

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:39 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Congratulations to Tu Youyou. Also for being the most confusing person to sing Happy Birthday to.

Brilliant!
Still giggling as I type. :lol: :lol:

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:54 pm

CombatClaret wrote:So his first hits were not covers of songs by black artist who were banned from the radio?
He was heavily influenced by black " rhythm & blues " artists, as well as Country music, both black and white gospel, as well as crooners like Dean Martin & Sinatra. His first released recording " That's all right, Mama " was indeed a cover of Arthur Crudup's minor blues hit, but the second " Blue Moon of Kentucky " was an old " Bluegrass " Country standard, written by Bill Monroe.

To paint him as just covering black artists music is not giving him the credit he's due. For him to have the courage to do what he did, especially having grown up in the segregated South. was remarkable. As a famous music writer once wrote, " Elvis took music from " How much is that doggy in the window ? " to " Heartbreak Hotel " and " Don't be Cruel " in less than 12 months ". Many black artists of the time credit him for " opening the door " for them . This clip, from many contemporanious black artists of the time, and others who worked with him later, ( Including Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother at 8.01 ) is informative....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_dqfeYWsXc

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:02 am

Clarets4me wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profil ... -the-icons

Don't even get me started on the PC ******** that went into the shortlisting of these selections !!
I’m sorry, but where exactly is the PC ****. Seems like you’re getting upset about nothing.
This user liked this post: yTib

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:05 am

Clarets4me wrote:He was heavily influenced by black " rhythm & blues " artists, as well as Country music, both black and white gospel, as well as crooners like Dean Martin & Sinatra. His first released recording " That's all right, Mama " was indeed a cover of Arthur Crudup's minor blues hit, but the second " Blue Moon of Kentucky " was an old " Bluegrass " Country standard, written by Bill Monroe.

To paint him as just covering black artists music is not giving him the credit he's due. For him to have the courage to do what he did, especially having grown up in the segregated South. was remarkable. As a famous music writer once wrote, " Elvis took music from " How much is that doggy in the window ? " to " Heartbreak Hotel " and " Don't be Cruel " in less than 12 months ". Many black artists of the time credit him for " opening the door " for them . This clip, from many contemporanious black artists of the time, and others who worked with him later, ( Including Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother at 8.01 ) is informative....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_dqfeYWsXc
I agree with what you say, he wasn't some kind of hack. But he was the acceptable face of music that, in some places wouldn't have otherwise been listened to, that it took him to 'open the door' speaks to the society not the performer. I'd put him in the same list as Frank Sinatra, great voice/performer but never truly created much that changed things.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:08 am

Not often I have a proper laugh on this board at the moment but thankyou, that was a belter.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:25 am

This lists are always going to provoke controversy,the one glaring omission from the science camp in my opinion,is John Logie Baird inventor of TV for good or ill it's a major contributor to 20th century society.

If you really wanted to put the cat amongst the pigeons a curveball like Rosa Parks could be suggested.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 am

'The criteria were: positive achievement and legacy, a degree of recognition for a British audience, and a spread of individuals across the century.'

I would argue that some who we see now as having a negative influence had a greater effect on where we are now, and certainly where all of us where in the twentieth century. Surely, for example, Lenin had the biggest influence on the world in the 1900s.

Of course this programme is above all about television entertainment.