Full pre match interview v West Ham

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Full pre match interview v West Ham

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 pm

These 3 users liked this post: HunterST_BFC LeuvenClaret Paul Waine

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Re: Full pre match interview v West Ham

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:11 am

I can't argue any of that even if some might.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:32 am

Nothing to argue with but hardly an inspiring "we will fight them on the beaches" type speech either.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 am

You watch that and feel that this guy is the absolute dogs doodars and we are so lucky to have him running our great club.

Can we all just get behind the team when they need it the most as it will give us the best chance to stay up? I may have an issue with the odd player (one in particular, no names mentioned) but if the ginger genius thinks he’s good enough it is good enough for me.

The last thing we should be doing is starting to drive this great manager from our club. As for threads about Moyes, Allardyce et all, these guys are not fit to lace Dyche’s boots...
This user liked this post: cricketfield73

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 am

I find him frustrating, on one hand he's been a superb ambassador for the club and he talks a lot of sense and "reality" - I just hate the style of football he has us playing (or not playing)

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:54 am

South West Claret. wrote:I can't argue any of that even if some might.
Heaton question dodged...

Can't think he says anything wrong though?

I just wish the questions were different......................... Vyd etc

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2169 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:00 am

Hibsclaret wrote:You watch that and feel that this guy is the absolute dogs doodars and we are so lucky to have him running our great club.

Can we all just get behind the team when they need it the most as it will give us the best chance to stay up? I may have an issue with the odd player (one in particular, no names mentioned) but if the ginger genius thinks he’s good enough it is good enough for me.

The last thing we should be doing is starting to drive this great manager from our club. As for threads about Moyes, Allardyce et all, these guys are not fit to lace Dyche’s boots...
I agree tbh.

You can't not love Dyche, **** I hope he turns it around <3

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 am

really good questions, (whoever it was) and honest answers, faultless, well done Sean, excellent.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I can't argue any of that even if some might.
I'll have a go

"There's been 4 or 5 points that have gotten away from us that shouldn't"
"We should be 4 or 5 points better off, and although it still isn't were we'd want to be, they'd certainly be welcomed"

Name them points...

I think we are even at best in terms of deserved points.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:55 pm

MACCA wrote:I'll have a go

"We should be 4 or 5 points better off, and although it still isn't were we'd want to be, they'd certainly be welcomed"

Name them points...

If anything we're lucky to even have managed 12 points. Taking 4 points from the Cardiff and Huddersfield games was daylight robbery!

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:05 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If anything we're lucky to even have managed 12 points. Taking 4 points from the Cardiff and Huddersfield games was daylight robbery!
I thought so, but with several in full agreement with Mr Dyche, thought I was g9ung blind, and or both... might run a quick quiz.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm

MACCA wrote:I'll have a go

Name them points...

One at Arsenal
One at home to Watford
One at home to Liverpool
Two more at Southampton
One at home to Newcastle

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:17 pm

how many times did he say " it because how the club is run here" when asked about spending money and transfers. Direct shot fired across the chairman and board may be? In the past its always been this is "OUR approach to ensure the club is run correctly"

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:One at Arsenal
One at home to Watford
One at home to Liverpool
Two more at Southampton
One at home to Newcastle
Of those I would concur with a point v Newcastle. Three of the others were 3-1 defeats so that's asking a lot. Sounded a bit resigned to me with little or no defiance/resolve that is what his team's have been built on. Anyway, see what happens tomorrow.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 pm

"...pretty unlikely circumstances for the first 3 goals." Time to go.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I find him frustrating, on one hand he's been a superb ambassador for the club and he talks a lot of sense and "reality" - I just hate the style of football he has us playing (or not playing)
He’s playing a style to try and get results. We wouldn’t be able to ‘out football’ the vast majority of this league. I think 95% of fans were happy last year... there were some spells of really good play, but on the whole it was pragmatic more than spectacular. It’s not clicked this year, and we are going to need a real change, and a slice of luck, to avoid relegation. I just can’t see someone else coming in and having a better chance than Dyche at turning things round.

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:26 pm

One at home to Watford
One at home to Liverpool
Two more at Southampton
One at home to Newcastle
You are even more delusional than first feared if you think we deserved anything from those games.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:32 pm

To me it sounded as though nothing is gonna change; we'll keep working away, analysing our play, tinkering if necessary, basically what we have done since Aug. Add to the fact our board aint gonna move an inch on its approach in Jan, which is notoriously difficult to buy and we're crap with loans, then we are in for the same old muck that's been dished up the last few months.
He lowered expectations and said basically last year was a fluke and we are now back to where we ought to be; must be thrilling and motivating that for the players!!

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Murger wrote:You are even more delusional than first feared if you think we deserved anything from those games.
Delusional coming from you is a complement. I’m guessing you were at the Emirates where we played 12 men and deserved a point. We should have beaten Southampton, no doubt about that one.

Both the 3 - 1 score lines had 90+ minute break away goals, one of which was offside.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:34 pm

the only other point we should have had is the Spurs one after the last min goal; we should have had enough to keep the door shut.
Maybe Newcastle at home as they were as dire as us.

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Delusional coming from you is a complement. I’m guessing you were at the Emirates where we played 12 men and deserved a point. We should have beaten Southampton, no doubt about that one.

Both the 3 - 1 score lines had 90+ minute break away goals, one of which was offside.
We didn't deserve anything at Arsenal.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:35 pm

One at home to Watford
One at home to Liverpool
Two more at Southampton
One at home to Newcastle
Aresenal disagree
Watford disagree, perfect away display.
Liverpool having taken the lead, you'd expect a point if we were playing like previous years .
Southampton agree we had the first half, I was glad for the 0-0 in the end , will let you have 2 points lost there.
Newcastle , prefect away display, one we try and adopt although they went for it then sat back, and countered. Could/should have had 3 or 4
We usually go for a clean sheet and nick 1. Perfect tactical Benitez type display did us.

So if I generously give you 3 extra , if say our 4 return from Huddersfield and Cardiff should have been 1. We are back to even. And the games I were generous points wise to you certainly weren't similar displays to when our points were gained.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:39 pm

One at home to Watford
One at home to Liverpool
Two more at Southampton
One at home to Newcastle
Agreed except for the Watford game where they were miles better and we deserved nothing, BUT we almost nicked a point at Spurs and that would have been richly deserved imo even if reward for totally negative tactics.
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:41 pm

As usual you miss the point.

He’s talking about 4 or 5 getting away from us. Clearly he’s not referencing where we got more than deserved perhaps.

As for Arsenal disagree. I’m guessing you weren’t there if u think we deserved nothing.

That was for Macca....

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Agreed except for the Watford game where they were miles better and we deserved nothing, BUT we almost nicked a point at Spurs and that would have been richly deserved imo even if reward for totally negative tactics.
That’ll be the 4 or 5 he’s talking about for sure

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Agreed except for the Watford game where they were miles better and we deserved nothing, BUT we almost nicked a point at Spurs and that would have been richly deserved imo even if reward for totally negative tactics.
So do you think we bettered the preformance Newcastle gave against us when we played Cardiff?
Same for our display at Southampton compared to Huddersfield against us.

Um interested to see how people getting to the conclusion we deserved 4 points from Huddersfield with those terrible displays, yet we also deserved 4 points from Southampton and Newcastle when in reality they both created far more in those games than we managed in both the Huddersfield and Cardiff games combined.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:46 pm

missing one more point at Spurs..

and, no, he has always detached himself from the collective

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:49 pm

MACCA wrote:So do you think we bettered the preformance Newcastle gave against us when we played Cardiff?

Um interested to see how people getting to the conclusion we deserved 4 points from Huddersfield with those terrible displays, yet we also deserved 4 points from Southampton and Newcastle when in reality they both created far more in those games than we managed in both the Huddersfield and Cardiff games combined.
Point missed again

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:50 pm

MACCA wrote:So do you think we bettered the preformance Newcastle gave against us when we played Cardiff?

I'm slightly confused there Macca as the Udders game wasn't on that list, primarily I suspect because we all know we were lucky to get anything that day. The list was (I thought) games where we really could/should have got more than we did and tbh I may have been in the minority, but I thought we played pretty well against Newcastle and definitely deserved a draw. They got a bit lucky, especially with the first goal and nicked all the points. There was a lot of hysteria after that defeat as it really was a crucial match, even at that stage in the season and people went a bit overboard at how crap we were just because we lost it.
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:As usual you miss the point.

He’s talking about 4 or 5 getting away from us. Clearly he’s not referencing where we got more than deserved perhaps.

As for Arsenal disagree. I’m guessing you weren’t there if u think we deserved nothing.

That was for Macca....
Fair enough, so we should have 4 or 5 more on the board as we deserve the points when unfortunate not to get them, yet also deserve them when we were arguably fortunate to get some?

So in short, we want it to work both ways to suit what we want all the time.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:52 pm

NRC wrote:missing one more point at Spurs..

and, no, he has always detached himself from the collective

I could see an extra one at Spurs but the performance probably didn’t quite deserve it even though the goal was late.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:53 pm

MACCA wrote:Fair enough, so we should have 4 or 5 more on the board as we deserve the points when unfortunate not to get them, yet also deserve them when we were arguably fortunate to get some?

So in short, we want it to work both ways to suit what we want all the time.
No just trying to get you to understand what the great man said

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:53 pm

It’s all irrelevant as it’s about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other, but on the balance of performances I would suggest that had we picked up/dropped the points below then it wouldn’t have been unfair;

Southampton +2
Cardiff -3
Newcastle +1
Spurs +1
Arsenal +1

Not sure why people are suggesting that we deserved less against Huddersfield as they created next to nothing. We were poor but after taking the lead a draw was fair. So on reflection I think we could be a couple of points better off but to conclude that we should be 4 or 5 better off would be ignoring the steal at Cardiff where we were woeful.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Rileybobs wrote:It’s all irrelevant as it’s about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other, but on the balance of performances I would suggest that had we picked up/dropped the points below then it wouldn’t have been unfair;

Southampton +2
Cardiff -3
Newcastle +1
Spurs +1
Arsenal +1

Not sure why people are suggesting that we deserved less against Huddersfield as they created next to nothing. We were poor but after taking the lead a draw was fair. So on reflection I think we could be a couple of points better off but to conclude that we should be 4 or 5 better off would be ignoring the steal at Cardiff where we were woeful.
Absolutely, but his words were 4 or 5 that got away from us....the Cardiff result is irrelevant to that

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Absolutely, but his words were 4 or 5 that got away from us....the Cardiff result is irrelevant to that
I must admit I’ve not seen the interview, I was just commenting on the points gained/dropped. However it’s pointless stating how many points got away from us without acknowledging the points that we were fortunate to collect.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Perhaps but all managers spin such things and that was what he meant (where we should have more than we got)

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:05 pm

If you watch the games against Watford and Newcastle again you can understand the fine margins comments, we played well enough to get something.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:10 pm

I hope Sean soon realises that finding the balance he says he is trying to get in the video will not happen until he decides in his own mind that his tactic of instructing his players to pass the ball around at the back before slipping it to a midfield player who then passes it back to a defender to start all over again is not working and hasn't done all season.

His style of play is what is turning more and more fans off each game . He can come in front of the camera making excuses but saying he is not making excuses as much as he wants but it isn't washing with fans.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:No just trying to get you to understand what the great man said
I understand.

Thanks for your views and opinions, very reasonable.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:59 pm

He's beginning to remind me of Moyes when he took that awful Sunderland team down. Low on confidence, short of ideas and nothing to inspire the players.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 am

The interview, which I have just seen, is like so many by the Manager. They are somewhat illusionary telling us absolutely nothing new whilst he waffles on for over 10 minutes.

If ever the comment, talking loud saying nothing, fits, it is now.

Granted, I will give you it is not helped by an interviewer not asking the questions that we want answers to.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 am

ClaretAL wrote:how many times did he say " it because how the club is run here" when asked about spending money and transfers. Direct shot fired across the chairman and board may be? In the past its always been this is "OUR approach to ensure the club is run correctly"
Think you're maybe trying to read something into what he's saying when in fact all he's saying is the truth and nothing more CA.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:19 am

Vegas Claret wrote:I find him frustrating, on one hand he's been a superb ambassador for the club and he talks a lot of sense and "reality" - I just hate the style of football he has us playing (or not playing)
I know what you mean VC and yes wouldn't it be great if we could play a more attacking game, but the players that can do that and defend are way out of our reach for obvious reasons.

So if you like we have found a way of being up there with the so called big boys for a fraction of the cost...and in some instances beating them like last season.

This season has been very different and difficult not least because of injuries to key players like Heaton and Pope in goal, Brady and Defour in mid-field. Then we had the opportunity to play in Europe which with the Pope injury again made things very very difficult so alll in all when you consider these things it's maybe not so surprising that we have struggled this season so far.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I know what you mean VC and yes wouldn't it be great if we could play a more attacking game, but the players that can do that and defend are way out of our reach for obvious reasons.

So if you like we have found a way of being up there with the so called big boys for a fraction of the cost...and in some instances beating them like last season.

This season has been very different and difficult not least because of injuries to key players like Heaton and Pope in goal, Brady and Defour in mid-field. Then we had the opportunity to play in Europe which with the Pope injury again made things very very difficult so alll in all when you consider these things it's maybe not so surprising that we have struggled this season so far.
that's as maybe but plenty of other teams find gems, hopefully Rigg can help us with that going forward