A quick quiz/opinion poll

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

A quick quiz/opinion poll

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:08 pm

I think Mr Dyche talks very well at times , however Mr Dyche has stated

"There's been 4 or 5 points that have gotten away from us that shouldn't"
"We should be 4 or 5 points better off, and although it still isn't were we'd want to be, they'd certainly be welcomed"

Name them points...

( just making sure I'm not going blind , mad or both )

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: A quick quiz/opinion poll

Post by Sproggy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Well, there are 3 from Cardiff that we didn't deserve so that's 7 or 8 you're looking for.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm

We probably should've beaten Southampton in the opening game and maybe could've nicked a point at Spurs but apart from that I'm struggling.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:12 pm

It’s time to back the manager be careful what you wish for utc

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:13 pm

I’d say possibly (and it’s debatable given we got battered in the last 20 minutes when Ings came on) Southampton away we could have got 2 points more.

Then again we were lucky to get 3 at Cardiff and a draw v Huddersfield.

Maybe he is referring to the Spurs game - possibly even Arsenal aswell where we could have picked up a point at both (albeit it a lucky point)

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Liverpool?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Cardiff deserved nothing considering the shambolic defending for our winning goal.

Had we played like that against Cardiff this place would have been in meltdown!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Longsidelenny wrote:It’s time to back the manager be careful what you wish for utc
No one's made any wishes as far as I can see, just genuinely wondering where the extra 4 or 5 more points on the board we deserve went.

I have us about even, as I can't say we deserved x point with a bit of luck, then dismiss 0 points as 9f luck against. There's not been nothing that major IMO that's cost us big points from big decisions.

Interesting to hear from those who see games similar to Mr Dyche.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Arsenal should have finished 2-2 with a decent ref, clear penalty, offside goal.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:40 pm

We gifted Watford a win, probably deserved the draw, but the only difference was Deeney.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Said on another thread that realistically we might have deserved a point v Newcastle. Other than that I'm struggling.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:03 pm

As Clegg Hall says, maybe a point from the Arsenal game, had it been officiated properly.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Southampton - if we had capitalized on our early dominance we should have had a lead to defend - which we looked capable of holding onto.

Having got past 90 minutes level with Spurs we conceded a very preventable goal.

That's it really. The rest might fall into the 'fine margins' category but we didn't do enough against Huddersfield, Liverpool or Arsenal to get on the right side of those margins - fortunate to come away with a point in the end v Huddersfield, no complaints about any other defeat. We played with decent spirit and determination v Arsenal, no more than that. We would have been very lucky if we'd come away with a point.

BigF
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by BigF » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:43 pm

The home draw against Huddersfield should have been a win perhaps. so 2 points extra there.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Posted on the other thread;

It’s all irrelevant as it’s about scoring goals at one end and keeping them out at the other, but on the balance of performances I would suggest that had we picked up/dropped the points below then it wouldn’t have been unfair;

Southampton +2
Cardiff -3
Newcastle +1
Spurs +1
Arsenal +1

Not sure why people are suggesting that we deserved less against Huddersfield as they created next to nothing. We were poor but after taking the lead a draw was fair. So on reflection I think we could be a couple of points better off but to conclude that we should be 4 or 5 better off would be ignoring the steal at Cardiff where we were woeful.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 pm

I know we were poor against Cardiff but they were pretty rank too. We've done better in play than some of our results suggest but we seem to be

1. conceding early sloppy goals putting us on the back foot
2. fading quickly in the 2nd half (after usually a decent start to it)

So against Newcastle the early 2 goals left us reeling and then we clawed back into it, got a goal, started ok in the 2nd half but faded. That pattern repeated on Boxing day (and also against Huddersfield and fulham) Games where we should have done better than we did.

I don't get the Huddersfield comments either. They created **** all and pretty much surprised me when they actually scored. What really annoyed me was the way we let them off the hook with a low energy ramble of a 2nd half.

I think Rileybobs gets it more or less right but I'd say it's a -1 against Cardiff because we actually scored 2 goals so deserved something at least, take off the +2 against Soton because we didn't create enough scoring chances in the end, but add in +1 for liverpool, +2 for Huddersfield because that should have been seen out and the comment was about games getting away from us.

That adds up to 5 I think. We're still in the dogfight but looking a little better GD wise (maybe -20)
This user liked this post: Whitgord

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:47 pm

I think we've just about got what we've deserved this season which in itself is one of the biggest differences as in the last several seasons probably out greatest skill was edging the margins and getting draws and wins when we were not the best team

If you gonna point to games like Newcastle saying we deserved a point then you'd have to say for balance then we didnt deserve a win against Brighton as we were no better in that game than Newcastle were over us. Likewise if you are saying we deserved to beat Southampton cos we had more of the game then you would have to say we deserved to get beat at Leicester for the same reason

For me although we didnt deserve it ovverall by getting to injury time level to lose to Spurs is a point dropped and thrown away but on the flip side we no way deserved to beat Cardiff. There has been no other league result this season where ive felt we've thrown away points or didnt get what we deserved.

Finally if we are including the defeats like Liverpool and Arsenal then this is just an exercise of looking at if every fine margin in every game went in our favour what additional points could we have got (which every team could do) and unless im mistaken that wasnt the question the OP was asking for this thread

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I think we've just about got what we've deserved this season which in itself is one of the biggest differences as in the last several seasons probably out greatest skill was edging the margins and getting draws and wins when we were not the best team

If you gonna point to games like Newcastle saying we deserved a point then you'd have to say for balance then we didnt deserve a win against Brighton as we were no better in that game than Newcastle were over us. Likewise if you are saying we deserved to beat Southampton cos we had more of the game then you would have to say we deserved to get beat at Leicester for the same reason

For me although we didnt deserve it ovverall by getting to injury time level to lose to Spurs is a point dropped and thrown away but on the flip side we no way deserved to beat Cardiff. There has been no other league result this season where ive felt we've thrown away points or didnt get what we deserved.

Finally if we are including the defeats like Liverpool and Arsenal then this is just an exercise of looking at if every fine margin in every game went in our favour what additional points could we have got (which every team could do) and unless im mistaken that wasnt the question the OP was asking for this thread
In fairness, had VAR been in place we’d have been a successful penalty kick away from a point at Arsenal so I think it’s fair to say that we deserved the draw.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:51 pm

I think he means 4 or 5 points in the last twelve months, Inc the friendlies.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Nonayforever wrote:I think he means 4 or 5 points in the last twelve months, Inc the friendlies.
:lol: