Small club mentality.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby TVC15 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:36 am

There some hogwash being posted here.
How winning the league 60 years ago is relevant to today is beyond me.
Our history is exactly that - history....just like it is at all those clubs who have won a lot more than us - Preston, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Villa, etc etc

Our history is just as irrelevant as being one of the top 30 or 40 richest clubs in Europe. What is the relevance to today’s match being richer than Sporting Lisbon or Anderlecht ? Our wealth only matters in relation to the league we are playing in - and it’s a fact that we are one of the smallest clubs financially in this league...especially in terms of our owners wealth.
I ain’t got a clue what the OP is talking about tbh or what he actually wants the club or fans do do. If you are going to start a thread it’s probably best to have a point !
These 6 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Burnley Ace Bosscat brexit Buxtonclaret lovebeingaclaret

# 2
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14669
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4792 times
Has Liked: 2700 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 am

If only there were some examples of clubs our size that have been in the premier league and dropped out of it so we could compare with them................

# 3
Burnley Ace
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:03 pm
Been Liked: 230 times
Has Liked: 1204 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby Burnley Ace » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:44 am

You can only presume the OP is a young lad.

# 4
snapcrackleandpop
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby snapcrackleandpop » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 am

Aclaret wrote:We havn't got big money men behind us so therefore shouldn't really be competing with most teams in the Premier League...... but we have.
If we get relegated, so what, we enjoyed the ride and the biggest thrill is striving to get back there.

But what’s the point of “trying to get back there “ if it is going to be more of the same, excuses of money and the reality of the business model of the club.
Garlick has spoken of outsiders wanting to invest on a regular basis, is this something that should be considered now.

# 5
mdd2
Posts: 3450
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Been Liked: 1053 times
Has Liked: 457 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby mdd2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:53 am

Can anyone explain how someone with dosh would want to plough millions into our club for no return. We are a town, not a city and with a 40,000 capacity stadium it would rarely be full so this is dead money

# 6
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby TVC15 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:58 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:But what’s the point of “trying to get back there “ if it is going to be more of the same, excuses of money and the reality of the business model of the club.
Garlick has spoken of outsiders wanting to invest on a regular basis, is this something that should be considered now.


If you don’t think there is a point then not sure why you would support them. Have you checked the teams relegated from the Premier League since it started - it’s prerty inevitable that we were going to go down at some point soon.
In terms of outsiders wanting to invest if there would be any real interest then I am sure that the board would consider it and take it forward if it was in the best interest of the club....but I doubt there has been anything firm interest or they would have done this.

# 7
joey13
Posts: 4217
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 959 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby joey13 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:04 am

mdd2 wrote:Can anyone explain how someone with dosh would want to plough millions into our club for no return. We are a town, not a city and with a 40,000 capacity stadium it would rarely be full so this is dead money

What like Bournemouth?

# 8
Bosscat
Posts: 4835
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1458 times
Has Liked: 3896 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby Bosscat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:04 am

SGr wrote:Yes it does.

Oh no it DOESN'T.....



Its just like being at a pantomime .... Sgr as Abanazar :D

When do you start shouting "New lamps for old" :lol:

# 9
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby TVC15 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:10 am

joey13 wrote:What like Bournemouth?


And Fulham too.
But the fact is that they did not invest in Burnley and nobody with this kind of money has approached us or shown enough of an interest for things to progress.

There is not a long queue of billionaires waiting to invest in English clubs and the few that may be out there considering which club to back will probably look at far “bigger” clubs than us.

# 10
beddie
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:10 pm
Been Liked: 388 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby beddie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 am

SGr I understand your point although I agree with others that you can't use Wolves as an example. It's fact Burnley is a small town club. The Manager speaks often about not being able to compete like other clubs in the transfer market, why? It's not because he has a "small club mentality"

Most people want us to stay in the big league but many are also realistic. I like Championship football because it has been a more level playing field for us, that doesn't mean I don't want to stay in the Premier League. So no I don't agree with your opinion but I can understand why you might think that.

# 11
Leisure
Posts: 7984
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm
Been Liked: 1287 times
Has Liked: 4094 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby Leisure » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:23 am

SGr wrote:No disguise. This is a pop alright, not at the club itself this time, but at fans who buy into to the “honest, hard working, little old Burnley” b*ll*cks -


Who are these fans? How many of them are there? Can you please name and shame them.

# 12
Claret eze
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 4:33 pm
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby Claret eze » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 am

TVC15 wrote:There some hogwash being posted here.
How winning the league 60 years ago is relevant to today is beyond me.
Our history is exactly that - history....just like it is at all those clubs who have won a lot more than us - Preston, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Villa, etc etc

Our history is just as irrelevant as being one of the top 30 or 40 richest clubs in Europe. What is the relevance to today’s match being richer than Sporting Lisbon or Anderlecht ? Our wealth only matters in relation to the league we are playing in - and it’s a fact that we are one of the smallest clubs financially in this league...especially in terms of our owners wealth.
I ain’t got a clue what the OP is talking about tbh or what he actually wants the club or fans do do. If you are going to start a thread it’s probably best to have a point !

So being richer than sporting Lisbon means we can compete with sporting Lisbon in the transfer market.orient is history but it's the favourite word on here.

# 13
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby TVC15 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:39 am

Claret eze wrote:So being richer than sporting Lisbon means we can compete with sporting Lisbon in the transfer market.orient is history but it's the favourite word on here.


That would be just fine if we were in the Portuguese league. But we ain’t and that means we have 20 other premier league clubs to compete with plus a few championship clubs who are paying bigger wages than us - like Villa and like Wolves did last year.

# 14
NL Claret
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby NL Claret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:46 am

Just read on Twitter Burnley fans laughing at the UTC message board. It's hard to disagree having read this thread.

The media is so lazy these days they sometimes pick up rubbish posted on here and take it as read. Burnley fans unhappy at small club mentality would be the headline. Then you've got those who struggle to form their own opinion, the bloke behind me will probably be complaining all afternoon about the small club mentality which his mate will start to believe.

Two seasons in the PL and some heads have gone right up their own backsides.

For information, Wolverhampton has a population of approximately 250,000.

# 15
brexit
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:20 am
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 27 times
Location: on the gravy train in strasbourg

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby brexit » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:How do fans target returns? Wolves were going nowhere until the new owners came in.

Don't fans in any club in league in any country target promotion ? Don't think any fan starts the season with I want relegation or mid-table mediocrity?
I am will stand up and say given the clubs finances, squad and manager I would be happier seeing us in the championship challenging for promotion or the playoffs.
We have over performed for the past 3 years and due to lack of investment in players and new tactics we are dropping to the natural level of football that the manager and squad exemplify. I actually think this is the boards mentality stay a small town club loyal to the fan base and local community.
Teams around us are picking up points, given our current squad and manager we are going down lets prepare for next season in the championship.

# 16
Vegas Claret
Posts: 14038
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4433 times
Has Liked: 1980 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:19 pm

NL Claret wrote:Just read on Twitter Burnley fans laughing at the UTC message board. It's hard to disagree having read this thread.

The media is so lazy these days they sometimes pick up rubbish posted on here and take it as read. Burnley fans unhappy at small club mentality would be the headline. Then you've got those who struggle to form their own opinion, the bloke behind me will probably be complaining all afternoon about the small club mentality which his mate will start to believe.

Two seasons in the PL and some heads have gone right up their own backsides.

For information, Wolverhampton has a population of approximately 250,000.


So people that are allowed 280 characters are laughing at us on here.........

# 17
mdd2
Posts: 3450
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Been Liked: 1053 times
Has Liked: 457 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby mdd2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 pm

joey13 wrote:What like Bournemouth?

About 100,000 more living in Bournemouth

# 18
joey13
Posts: 4217
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 959 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby joey13 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:30 pm

mdd2 wrote:About 100,000 more living in Bournemouth

And about 10,000 less attending games

# 19
mdd2
Posts: 3450
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Been Liked: 1053 times
Has Liked: 457 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby mdd2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Capacity less than ours but plans to move to a new bigger ground. Present capacity is <12000

# 20
PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:35 pm
Been Liked: 188 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:09 pm

We can compete, the problem is that we choose to compete only in the most expensive transfer market in the world, the English market. This model of competing is seriously flawed, we will never be able to afford a quality ready to go Premier standard player in the English market, yes we may uncover the occasional young player and develop them. We are literally spending £15m on players that we could get for £5m abroad. Its crazy for a club our size to be shopping in Harrods when there's a Aldi down the road.

# 21
PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:35 pm
Been Liked: 188 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Small club mentality.

Postby PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 pm

NL Claret wrote:Just read on Twitter Burnley fans laughing at the UTC message board. It's hard to disagree having read this thread.

The media is so lazy these days they sometimes pick up rubbish posted on here and take it as read. Burnley fans unhappy at small club mentality would be the headline. Then you've got those who struggle to form their own opinion, the bloke behind me will probably be complaining all afternoon about the small club mentality which his mate will start to believe.

Two seasons in the PL and some heads have gone right up their own backsides.

For information, Wolverhampton has a population of approximately 250,000.


Oh do share the Twitter post's with us, because i've had a look on Twitter and I don't seem to be able to locate these posts. So a simple screen shot will suffice. Thank you in advance.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”