Burnley v West Ham - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Re: Burnley v West Ham - Player Ratings

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Heaton 8
Bardsley 9 mom
Tarks 6
Mee 8
Taylor 8
JBG 7
Westwood 7
Cork 7
McNeill 8
Barnes 8
Wood 7

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Heaton 8

Bardsley 9
Tarkowski 9
Mee 8
Taylor 8

Gudmundsson 7
Westwood 9 MOM
Cork 8
McNeill 8

Barnes 8
Wood 8

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Glad I went and entertained for 90 mins. Best all round Burnley performance for a long long time and proves some of our players can do a lot better than of late.

Heaton 8 massive presence and good game. Keeps the shirt.
Bardsley 8 very good display mom
Tarkowski 8
Mee 8
Taylor 7 played much better but still think we need to strengthen here
JBG 7
Cork 8
Westwood 8 close to Bardsley for mom for me
McNeil 8 very positive going forward and very impressive for a young lad in such an important game. Keeps the shirt.
Barnes 7
Wood 7 missed some chances but more on it and looked like we had a good striker pairing.

Many positives and did not see this coming. Need that level of tempo and pressing to get anything out of games. We looked to move the ball much quicker than normal and every player looked more up for the battle. Hope this is really analysed against the recent dross.
These 4 users liked this post: Hibsclaret Leisure nil_desperandum rincon

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:20 pm

Heaton 10. Not a lot to do but was faultless on his return. It just felt like Burnley with him playing
Bardsley 9 Had a quality opponent in his pocket.
Tarks 8 Solid
Mee 8 Solid
Taylor 9 Beginning to get better by the game
JBG 8 Brilliant first half
Cork 8 Back to his best
Westwood 9 Best game I have seen in a Burnley shirt
Mcneil 8 Exceptional first half. Thought he got a bit tired in second which is to be expected
Barnes 8 100% as always . Deserved a goal.
Wood 7 Vast improvement from previous games. Good finish but a couple of bad misses

Dyche 10 I gave him a generous 0 v Everton. At last he has listened and got it 100% right

Dont lose at Huddersfield ( hopefully win ) Beat Fulham, Cardiff and Southampton at home and we will stay up.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 689 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Heaton 9 I feel for Hart, but today showed just what a class act Heaton is. His all round game is excellent, and I think he’s a better keeper than Pope
Bardsley 9 Pretty much flawless
Tarks 8 A minor error at one point, but looks back to his best
Mee 7 Almost back to his best, but I’ve docked him a mark for his typical early error chasing the ball needlessly out of position leaving Tarks isolated
Taylor 8 Best game for us. Still needs to improve his crossing
Cork 7 Did pretty well. Much improved. Still relied heavily on Westwood
Westwood 9 My MoM. All round fantastic performance, and exactly what we should expect from a midfield 2. He gets some criticism, but I think it’s undeserved. Guaranteed starter along with Bardlsey and Heaton for me at the moment. Essentially set up both goals, and pressed them all game, setting the tempo and putting us on the front foot. All those who say he just passes it sideways and backwards need to actually watch our games.
JBG 8 Back to his best. Worked hard getting forward, linked well with Bardsley defensively too
McNeil 8 Deserves a start against Huddersfield. Quieter second half, but an excellent first half. One minor criticism is that he sometimes delays getting his shot off
Barnes 8 Deserves his run in the team. Excellent lay off for the first goal. Caught offside too much, and should have had a goal, but leads the press brilliantly
Wood 6 I’ll get slated for this, but I am still disappointed. Missed 2 sitters. Offside way too much. Doesn’t press properly. Seems to lose interest times, and is caught daydreaming when he should be providing options down the channels. But a great finish to set us on our way, and easily the best game from him I can remember. A solid 6. Maybe a tad harsh, but he HAS to do better with the 2 sitters. On another afternoon that could have cost us dearly

Dyche 8 Easily the right decision to bring Heaton in. Sensible option going for a trusted 442. I think a double straight swap up top bringing Vokes and Vydra on at about 75 would have been useful. And I wonder about the message to Gibson, Hendrick and Long: “play well, but I’ll still play my favourites ahead of you.” Managing the squad, again, could be tricky. But he has just given himself a whole bunch of names that pick themselves for the next game. Looked like we got our identity back today. I haven’t enjoyed a game that much in a long, long time. Thank you Sean

Indecisive
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Someone on here has given Wood a 5 :lol: :lol:

Heaton 9 *mom
Bardsley 9
Tarks 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8
JBG 8
Cork 8
Westwood 9
McNeil 9 (maybe slightly generous but he scored and had a great impact before tiring)
Barnes 8
Wood 8 (would have been a 9 if he’d have scored the sitter)

What a joy to watch today. Let’s hope we can replicate at Huddersfield. Would like to see us climb the table and put a bit of distance between ourselves and the bottom three over the next 6 weeks or so.

There’s a long way to go but surely every Burnley fan has to be enthused by that performance.

fungus_the_bogeyman
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by fungus_the_bogeyman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Heaton 9
Bardsley 9
Taylor 8
Tarkowski 9
Mee 8
Gudmundsson 7
McNeil 8
Westwood 9
Cork 8
Barnes 8
Wood 8

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Heaton - 8 very little to do bar one superb save near the end but it was testament to his professionalism that he was more than ready when his chance came. its not all down to him but there's no denying he made a difference.

bardsley - 8 excellent. felipe anderson didn't want to know.

tarkowski - 8 didn't give them a sniff

mee - 8 same - a different player to the previous game

taylor - 8 another strong performance and showed great maturity with the youngster in front of him, guiding mcneil defensively. lovely cross that gudmundsson should have buried.

westwood - 8 like mee, he can count himself very lucky to have a second chance today but he certainly took it. excellent pressing and some real quality on the ball, not least for mcneil's goal.

cork - 7 more like his old self

gudmundsson - 7 some top passing today, it was his crossing that was bit off

mcneil - 8 well played young man. still some way to grow at this level but he's looking every inch a top prospect.

barnes - 8 lovely header to wood and his pressing high up set the tone

wood - 6 this was much better from him and hopefully how he kicks on and goes on a bit of a run but he really should have had more

where has this team been all season? hopefully the everton debacle has kickstarted things for us and we can build on this because it was easily our best performance of the season. thanks must also go to west ham for having no interest whatsoever in playing this game; they were the ideal opposition.

cracking stuff today, onwards and hopefully upwards.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Heaton 8 not lots to do but a fantastic late save, excellent positioning and clearly up for the occasion
Bardsley 8 the little bit of physicality he exerted on Anderson early doors set the tone and ensured the battle was won.
Taylor 7 good performance (wish he wasn’t the last man out every time we push up)
Tarks 8 Solid and got almost every bit of defending spot on
Mee 8 same as Tarks
JBG 6 disciplined defensively and was quietly involved in the game
Westwood 9 absolutely everywhere and second half helped (covered) Taylor out a fair few times as McNeil tired (edited Ash to a 9 after more thought)
Cork 7 a good solid performance from Jack very similar to last year and drove beyond the strikers first half to try and get in the box
McNeil 8 positive, progressive and composed. Also big fan of his early delivery into the box before teams can settle
Barnes 7 typical Ash, worked hard, lovely header for the assist, missed a good opportunity but a will to win that’s second to non
Wood 8 excellent all round performance today, contested with the defenenders, ran the channels, scored a goal, linked up play and looked a constant threat. Should have scored at least 1 more possibly 2 and if he had I’d have given him a 10
Last edited by KlyBfc on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Heaton 9
Bardsley 9
Mee 9
Tarks 9
Taylor 8
JBG 8
Westwood 9
Cork 8
Mcneil 9 ☆☆☆☆☆ MotM
Wood 8
Barnes 8
Say no more

Beagleheart
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Beagleheart » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Heaton 9
Bardsley 9*
Tarkowski 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8
JBG 8
Westwood 9
Cork 8
McNeil 8
Barnes 8
Wood 8

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Heaton 8 captain, leader, great keeper
Bardsley 9 excellent
Tarks 8 looked more assured
Mee 8 as above
Taylor 8 as above
JBG 6 look a bit off it to me
Westwood 8 very very good performance
Cork 8 looked to have an extra yard
McNeill 8 this lad has a good future ahead
Barnes 7 worked hard, silly booking stopped him being as effective second half
Wood 8 I thought he played very well on the whole. A bit more confidence would have seen him get 2 or 3.

Best performance of the season. Let’s not kid ourselves and pretend West Ham player well but we dominated all over the pitch.
Roll on Wednesday. More of the same please.
Last edited by Bordeauxclaret on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Heaton 9
Bardsley 9
Taylor 9
Tarkowski 9
Mee 9
Westwood 9
McNeil 9
Cork 9
JBG 9
Wood 9
Barnes 9

Fantastic reply after the Boxing Day debacle. Every player was superb and I thought it was one of our best performances in 2018 on the front foot, good attacking play and as important in West Ham’s faces from the kick off. Let’s hope we keep it up.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:You’re not allowed to give Taylor 7 apparently
If you had Taylor as the lowest mark today you’re an idiot but you do have form

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Drive back home to Chester was a bit more pleasant than Boxing day ;)
The team looked far more composed today with Tom in goal and Dyche must have got the message from the fans reaction to Tom's very solid display.

Heaton 8 One superb save at the death from Carroll and a very good performance. Welcome back Tom. We've missed you.
Bardsley 9 Anderson must have wondered what he was up against as the one man wrecking ball man marked him.
Mee 8 Sir Benjamin back to his best.
Tarks 8 Lose one point for some sloppiness 1st half when he cleared out for a corner when under no pressure.
Taylor 8 Good, solid display against some tricky opponents.
JBG 8 Good to see him back
Westwood 9* Was my MOM. Everywhere. Neat and tidy and not sideways :o
Cork 8 Good game.
McNeil 8 Tired 2nd half and should have been subbed around 70 mins IMHO.
Wood 8 Looked very sharp today and took his goal very well.
Barnes 8 Ash back to his best but loses a point for not scoring in the 1st minute.

Dyche 7 It would have been 9 but he once more got his subs all wrong. McNeil should have been off as he was knackered and Vokes should have been on around 70 mins for either Wood or Barnes. He could even have taken off Cork around 70 for Hendrick with a view to Udders in a few days time.

Roosterbooster

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:47 pm

CaptJohn wrote:Dyche got his subs all wrong. McNeil should have been off as he was knackered and Vokes should have been on around 70 mins for either Wood or Barnes. He could even have taken off Cork around 70 for Hendrick with a view to Udders in a few days time.
I wouldn’t worry. He gave them all Boxing Day off

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Heaton 9 (had very little to do tbh, but when called on did it very, very well)
Bardsley 9* (let Anderson know he was there early doors and after that he was very,very wary and constantly looking over his shoulder)
Tarks 8
Mee 9
Taylor 9
Cork 8 (slow as f**k, but back to making a real difference today)
Westwood 8
JBG 8
McNeil 9 (you really have to take his age and experience into account and say he was immense today)
Barnes 9
Wood 7 (yes, I know it sounds churlish, but despite the great finish for his goal, he really isn't very good. He's unbelievably slow couldn't hold the ball up or judge a header and missed several much easier chances which should have been buried)

We may or may not have caught West Ham at a good time as I do believe that this year they are a very good side and much improved over previous seasons, but there's no denying the fact that we were superb pretty much from front to back today. How we didn't bag 7 or 8 I'll never know. One swallow and all that...but we carved them open so easily and so often and only really had any problems when Caroll was challenging in the box which is hardly surprising. In the end it was only 2-0, but that's as comprehensive a win as I can ever remember under SD. Loved it.
I'm sorry about the Wood comments, but I did say last season that when he isn't scoring he offers nowt and even today aside from his excellently taken goal he looked slow and couldn't judge long balls or hold it up.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:09 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:If you had Taylor as the lowest mark today you’re an idiot but you do have form
What? I haven’t done any ratings. Why are you always trolling?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Heaton 9 - great save at the end and also came to collect a cross !
Bardsley 9 - brilliant. Should not have been dropped for Everton game and I think he only was because that side had nobody who could cross a ball. Anderson defo intimidated by him and showed he was not up for it by not bothering to change wings.
Tarkowski 8 - solid game other than a couple of sloppy moments.
Mee 8 - very lucky to be in the team but much more like his old self.
Taylor 8 - put in a great shift up and down the line. Good defending but crossing still not great.
JBG 8 - especially good first half. Wish he would not lose his concentration when they are attacking though - he has done this on numerous occasions this season.
Westwood 9 - at the centre of everything today. He used to play like this for Villa when they were doing well.
Cork 8 - best game in a long time.
McNeil 9 **- for a lad just turned 19 under the pressure we were under to get a win he showed amazing confidence and belief in his own ability.
Barnes 8 - hold up play was great and he really deserved a goal today.
Wood 8 - best game of the season by a long way.

2-0 definitely flattered West Ham. We played some great stuff today and made more very good chances in one game than we have in the last couple of months. Loads of great one touch passing, use of the wings and getting to the byline more than we have for a long time.
Starting a game on the front foot is so important and hope we do this against Huddersfield and Fulham where we need to be looking for a minimum of 4 points before we batter United at the Theatre of Sh-ite !

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:What? I haven’t done any ratings. Why are you always trolling?
You haven't done any ratings because you said we would lose with Taylor playing. Well guess what, we didn't, plus he had a great game. Time for you to disappear into the sunset dressed in your Ward Wonsie.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Wonsie :D tool

He had a good game, not great but good

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:What? I haven’t done any ratings. ?
Have you deleted it, I am sure I saw you give the team ratings?

Apologies if I am wrong, but I sure it was something like all high scores and a 7 for Taylor?

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:51 pm

No. I haven’t deleted it.

At least 6 other people gave Taylor a 7.

I assume it was for good defensive play overall with the odd poor cross as usual. Crossing of such quality can’t get you above a 7 I wouldn’t have thought

7 is a high score by the way. It means good
This user liked this post: burnleymik

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Just looking at Taylor's marks and the comments. In a straight comparison, how good is Bardsley's crossing?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:36 pm

Heaton 10 commanded and they obeyed. Gave every man Jack a lift today.
Bardsley 9
Tarks 9
Mee 9
Taylor 9
JBG 9
Westwood 9
Cork 9
McNeill 9
Barnes 9
Wood 9

I could find fault for missed chances, however, that would undermine the whole team performance.

What a way to end the year!

Up the Clarets
This user liked this post: rincon

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:27 pm

dougcollins wrote:Just looking at Taylor's marks and the comments. In a straight comparison, how good is Bardsley's crossing?

Not great but his defending was superb and not just good. He also set up a sitter for Wood to miss with the tackle of the game. I’m fairly sure Charlie can’t tackle like that

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Heaton 7
Bardsley 9
Mee 7
Tarks 8
Taylor 7
JBG 7
Westwood 9*
Cork 8
McNeil 9
Wood 7
Barnes 7

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:26 am

Heaton 8
Bardsley 9
Mee 8
Tarks 8
Taylor 8
JBG 7
Westwood 9
Cork 8
McNeil 8
Wood 7
Barnes 8
Magpiggingnificent, bring on Udders, performance of 2018. See you on Wednesday :D

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:55 am

It's really difficult to mark after a performance like that. For me one of the best of Dyche's reign. He also made what must have been the biggest decision of his tenure so all credit to him.

Heaton 9-His very presence lifted the place. Leadership qualities to the fore and and a sublime save.
Bardsley* 10-Thought he was brilliant.
Tarkowski 9-Think he enjoyed the 2nd half tussle with Carroll and played consistently well throughout the game.
Mee 8-That's the benchmark Ben. His best game by some margin in a long while
Taylor 8-Star quality in the making and he worked really well with McNeil.
JBG 7-Industrious and hard working as ever but if I'm being critical, for me not at his best at times.
Westwood 9-Brilliant
Cork 8-Let's hope we've got our Jack back
McNeil 9 -The futures good, the futures bright the futures McNeil
Barnes 8-Put a shift in as per normal
Wood 9-I've been critical of him, but putting the misses aside, he was strong, wanted the ball, ran the channels, held the ball and distributed well. A formidable performance from him. Long may it continue.
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret Ashingtonclaret46

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:59 am

Heaton 9
Bardsley* 10
Tarkowski 8
Mee 9
Taylor 8
JBG 8
Cork 8
Westwood 9
McNeil 9
Wood 8
Barnes 8

This was more like the Burnley of last season. Dogged and resolute at the back, evidence of much needed shape and structure and finding a clinical edge as well. Thought that the winning margin could have been a lot more as West ham did not turn up at all. Back to our performance and I wanted to mention Heaton as it must not have been easy to come back to playing Premiership football after all that time on the sidelines. He commanded his back 4 like we are used to seeing him do and his reactions to the two goals told us a lot about what this club means to him. And that save as well, top drawer. Same team for Huddersfield please Sean. If (and it's a big if) we take this standard of performance over the rest of this season, we might have a chance yet of staying up.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:11 am

Can't believe all these comments about Taylor having the best game he has ever played for us.

Taylor has been our best player for the last 5 games up until West Ham

Taylor has been the only Ray of sunshine. Taylor and Brady are the only 2 players we have who have the ability to take a man on.

I have literally been screaming at Taylor all season to attack the flanks and get into the opposition. Dyche though had different plans for him, he has finally started playing him to his strengths.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:21 am

CaptJohn wrote: Tarks 8 Lose one point for some sloppiness 1st half when he cleared out for a corner when under no pressure.
Interesting how very few people picked up on this, particularly Hibsclaret, when Taylor was basically wrote off on Boxing Day for the same thing

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:21 am

Having watched the highlights McNeil is so like Glenn Little we are in for a treat.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:22 am

Got to laugh at the 9s and 10s for Heaton... He made one save, Hart makes 4 or 5 similar saves in several games this year but wasn't marked that high
This user liked this post: deanothedino

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 am

Heaton 9
Bardsley 9
Tarkowski 8
Mee 7
Taylor 8
Gudmundsson 7
Cork 7
Westwood 9*
McNeil 8
Wood 7
Barnes 8

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:41 am

Heaton 8 Not much to do but we looked more organised at the back. Coincidence?
Bardsley 9* Nice rake down Anderson's achilles early doors to let him know he was in a game and with JBG marked him brilliantly
Tarks 6 Needs to keep it simple until his confidence is back.
Mee 8
Taylor 7
JBG 7 Quiet offensively but doubled up really well with Bardsley defensively
Westwood 7
Cork 7
McNeill 9 Great game, though I'm another that would probably have hooked him after 70 minutes.
Barnes 8
Wood 7 Could've been a 10 today. 3 gilt edged chances.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 am

Heaton 9
Bardsley 10
Mee 7
Tarks 7
Taylor 7
JBG 8
Westwood 9
Cork 8
Mcneil 9
Wood 8
Barnes 8

Scott Arfield's Swag
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Scott Arfield's Swag » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am

Heaton 8
Bardsley 9
Mee 7
Tarks 8
Taylor 7
JBG 7
Westwood 9*
Cork 8
Mcneil 8
Wood 8
Barnes 8

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Not great but his defending was superb and not just good. He also set up a sitter for Wood to miss with the tackle of the game. I’m fairly sure Charlie can’t tackle like that
Taylor was only beaten once (when he slipped) from memory. His defending was superb against some pacey opponents and, in my opinion, equally as effective as Bardsley (the opponent will have to be quick to beat Taylor in a foot race). You could argue that Taylor showed fantastic fitness and desire and got up and down more than Bardsley. Furthermore, and as well as McNeil played, Taylor had a rookie playing in front of him so you could also argue that he had added responsibility on that side of the pitch given McNeil's inexperience at this level.

Your agenda against Taylor is, quite frankly, boring.
These 5 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm burnleymik JohnMac MDWat FactualFrank

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Heaton 9- Solid performance. Great to see him back
Bardsley 9- Solid defending and puts so much fight into the team
Mee 8- Best performance of the season for him today. Very sharp
Tarks 9- Was a beast today and plenty of talking with Mee which is a massive plus.
Taylor 8- Played well defensively and found a claret shirt more often than not.
JBG 7- Played alright but got outshone on the other wing.
Westwood 10- Maybe the best performance I've seen from a CM for Burnley. Top class, was everywhere and should of had 5 assists.
Cork 9- Helped Westwood run that midfield.
McNeil 10- Everything you could dream of for a wideman at Burnley setting the tempo. Direct running, great touch, fast passing and a great finish to top it off.
Wood 8- Got in some great positions and scored one. Has more to give though.
Barnes 7- Some nice link up play but lack of pace showed quite a bit yesterday.

The first half was the best I've seen under Dyche and came out of the blue, lets hope it continues.

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:36 pm

Heaton 7
Bardsley 7
Mee 8
Tarkowski 6
Taylor 7
JBG 7
Westwood 9
Cork 8
McNeil 8
Wood 7
Barnes 7

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Heaton 9 - Didn't have much to do but make 3 saves, one World Class :D
Bardsley 9 - Anderson is one of those who prays before kick off. He must have done a fair bit more during the game!
Tarkowski 8 - One of his best games for us in a long while.
Mee 8 - See Tarky
Taylor 8 - Allowed to get forward, did at every opportunity and defended very well.
JBG 8 - Continually caused problems
Westwood 9 - He never stopped running, tackling and passing.
Cork 8 - That was as good a performance as we've seen in months.
McNeil 9 - Hardly put a foot wrong and he can use them both! *MOM
Barnes 8 - Vintage stuff
Wood 8 - Much better, much much better.

Dyche 10 - You got it right and how!

One of those games when you wonder how we missed so many chances but aren't upset because we created so many!

Rhxdes
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Rhxdes » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:49 pm

Heaton 8 - Good to see skip back

Bardsley 8 - Andersen didn’t wanna go near him ha
Tarkowski 9* - Immense
Mee 8
Taylor 7

Gudmundsson 7
Cork 8 - Some good third-man runs beyond the forwards
Westwood 7
McNeil 8 - If we’re being really picky; Dyche should have brought him off to protect him, especially if he’ll be playing against Hudds

Barnes 8 - Getting back to his best
Wood 8 - Same, better from him

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Heaton 7 - solid and did what he had to
Bardsley 9 - aggressive positive and made Anderson look rubbish
Tarkowski 6 - some hairy moments but much better as game went on
Mee 8 - hello where have you been?
Taylor 8 - solid and positive going forward
Mc Neill 9 - excellent game. A bit naive at times but hard to see why hes not got more time to date
Westwood 9 (mom) - a real engine in the middle and instrumwntal passing to set up 3 or 4 excellent chances
Cork 8 - hello where have yoi been?
Gudmunsson 8 - positive from the off and meant McNeill could grow into the game
Wood 8 - great strike. Ran the channels well and showed why hes important to us
Barnes 8 - another really good performance

Subs weren't on long enough.

What a difference. A superb team performance and if we get this for the bulk of remaining games a solid lower mid table finish should be secure

Roosterbooster

Post by Roosterbooster » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:47 pm

bfcjg wrote:Having watched the highlights McNeil is so like Glenn Little we are in for a treat.
Ha. I thought this yesterday too. Some stark similarities I thought. Also has a bit of Ted McMinn about him, but with pace. Manage him well and he’s gonna be a hell of a player. You could see yesterday the difference in match play maturity compared to the Europa League games only a few months ago

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:05 pm

claretspice wrote:JBG - 7 - Bagged his assist and provided a few other moments of quality in a real team effort, even if this was one of those days when he was happy to allow others to take the limelight.
What assist was this?

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:24 pm

Roosterbooster......I still feel McNeill is extremely one-footed and this is a big limitation for him. I was massively impressed with his evident confidence and composure on the ball yesterday and he definitely has that touch of class and spatial awareness that good players have. However his right foot looks to me like it is for standing on only ? I would be very happy to be told I am wrong..and I think the chance he missed in the first half at the near post WAS hit with his right...but I fear this will limit him.

Roosterbooster

Post by Roosterbooster » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:20 pm

I agree. But unfortunately, all young players at all clubs seem to be extremely one footed. I think it’s poor coaching. It doesn’t take too long to become comfortable on your weaker foot. The younger the better obviously. And being two footed makes it so much easier to take players on.
The similarities with Ted and Glenn come from his style of play. He likes to get wide to receive the ball when we are in possession in midfield, and turn to run at defenders. He is also quite efficient with the ball, and drifts in when the ball is on the opposite flank.
Yesterday was the perfect day for him. But it’ll be a completely different test when we are defending for our lives, and don’t see much of the ball

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:12 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:What assist was this?
Got that wrong. Had in my mind that he'd crossed for the second but had completely forgotten the rebound to Westwood. Realised when I saw the highlights last night.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Tom 8: They say the best keepers are the ones who have had little to do in a game but are there when it matters. Tom had only made two fairly routinesaves before Carroll’s bullet header that was on its way to the top corner. I think he’s been harshly treated and willingly admit to lacking in objectivity concerning him. I’m made up for him.

Bardsley 8: The type of performance you expect from an “old hand”: battling, knowing when to tackle, setting the example for the rest of the team. This was the Bardsley SD brought in 18 months ago and not the one who acted rashly at times last season.

Takowski 8: The Tarky of the first half of last season. Obviously told to forget trying to play like Beckenbauer and stick to gritty defending. A rock.

Mee 8: The Ben of old. No messing around. Did what he does best. They shall not pass.

Taylor 8: I’ve seen the stick that’s been levelled at him. I hadn’t seen him play this season before the Everton massacre but I thought he was very good yesterday. Above all defensively and that’s what was required of him. We had to keep it tight at the back and that meant all our defenders focusing essentially on keeping a clean sheet.

JBG 7: I’m a JBG fan but I really don’t think he would have played from the start if the manager had had other options. But he played his part and will make a bigger contribution when fully match-fit.

Cork 8: Jack looked much more like the player who excelled last season. Helped Ashley Westwood control midfield.

Westwood 9 (MOM): My lad was at Arsenal and said Westwood was our best player. I must admit to having been relatively unimpressed last season but he was immense yesterday. He fought, harassed and made a huge number of successful passes.

McNeil 8: Showed absolutely no fear and had a superb first 45 minutes capped with his first PL goal. Inevitably tired in the second-half and was wiped out at the end. I think we would all like to have seen him subbed at the end to get a standing ovation but it was, in my opinion, a sign of respect from SD to keep him on for the whole match (added to the fact that he didn’t want to change the shape). We need to keep our feet on the ground with Dwight because it won’t always be like yesterday but what a pleasure it is for an old git to see a player from the Youth Team do as well as he did.

Wood 8: Another player who hasn’t delivered this season but what a vital goal he scored. He could have had a hat-trick but Fabianski made a fine save from Wood’s chip. The other chance – described as a “glaring miss” by the TV commentator – was an opportunity spurned although Fabianski must take credit for Wood hesitating.

Barnes 8: A typical Ashley Barnes game: battled for 90 minutes, didn’t do as well as he might have done once or twice but set Wood up superbly for the first goal. He could have scored with the first chance of the match when it was crossed in low but I don’t think he was expecting the ball to reach him and resulting in him putting it wide. Also, alas, a nasty foul which throughly deserved the booking.

SD: Made the changes that were necessary, showed belief in Dwight McNeil and had clearly told the players the Everton match was totally unacceptable.

We saw once again just how crazy football is. Players that had been performing well below par looked like they did a year ago. It was one of the best performances I’ve seen in the SD era. We played some very good football. Pellegrini was right in saying we had an advantage having played a day before them but I think we would have beaten most PL teams yesterday. We don’t have stars who can just turn it on when you’re not expecting it. Our players have to play to their highest level all the time and win through workrate, character and togetherness. And that’s what they did yesterday combined with some excellent individual performances.